test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New loadouts feature is a great idea, but terrible execution! Get rid of the campfire idea.

thatguy321654987thatguy321654987 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 39 Arc User
I was little unnerved about being limited to just 2 loadouts then having to buy the rest. But to be honest i'm ok with that. 2 is enough for most things. However, as i got the end of the article, i read that you can only change a loadout at a campfire. You had my attention, and now it's gone. This will only be useful for PVP players or very limited situations. I pve. Which means i swap out powers from AOE to single on the fly. I aint going to be traveling back to some campfire in the middle of a campaign map to change my loadout. Maybe in a dungeon before a boss this will be slightly useful. But what about all the miny bosses? What about giants vs mobs? Or HE? I mean why cant we do this anywhere? I have a speed build, a AOE build, a piercing build, a stealth build. I swap out powers all the time, everywhere. SO i was looking forward to this, it was going to help me out a lot and make the game better. But i guess not. Please tell me i'm wrong, and we can do this thing outside of campfires... because right now i am really disappointed. Get rid of campfires, make it can be done anywhere.

Comments

• armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    There were a number of people with the opposite objection - that being able to swap in combat or even at a campfire was bad and they were just as vociferous about it.

I think campfire strikes the middle ground between too much and too little. Most people don't bother to change skills between one enemy group and the next, particularly as they're usually dead in a few seconds regardless of which skill set you're using. However, being able to swap between 'mob setup' and 'boss setup' is important so I'm cool with how they've done it.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    I think the idea is that they still wanted you to have to make some choices and stick with them. Its designed for massive changes in specs..like from a solo dps DC build to party healer build.

Probably more useful for some classes than others, and it offers more than i think most players thought it would in that feats and boons etc are included.
  • tomiotartomiotar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 227 Arc User

I think the idea is that they still wanted you to have to make some choices and stick with them. Its designed for massive changes in specs..like from a solo dps DC build to party healer build.

Probably more useful for some classes than others, and it offers more than i think most players thought it would in that feats and boons etc are included.

+1

I didn't expect they will allow to change boons, feats and paragons. That allow to have a completly different build, suddenly your protector pally can be a healer if you need that or my HR can switch from trapper to archer if I need to focus on a boss after clearing the trash. I've stop joining PVP after Mod6 and I find this is the most welcomed change for PVE. I have no clue about the price but this is the first change in 2 years that I see is worth paying for, so depending on the price I would probably pay for extra loadouts.
  • neirgaraneirgara Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    Campfire is fine for me.

I have a need to swap when I take a break from soloing dailies to run a dungeon with my guild (dungeons have a campfire at the beginning), and I need to swap when I'm right before a bossmob (there also is a campfire). If I would PvP, then I also would need to swap form PvE to PvP, and there also is a campfire.

The only place, where there is no fire, is in the middle of a fight. Bein able to swap in the middle of a mob group, to adapt to single ads in that group might be nice for some people, but I think that is more of a luxury problem, and I can't imagine a situation, where not being able to do that has inconvenienced me, nor can I imagine that it ever will.

Being able to swap boons, feats and paths was a big surprise, by the way. Never thought, that would be possible. I think, that is awesome. Though it's quite possible, that this will also confuse me much during the first weeks. Too much choice, too many possibilities. :open_mouth:
  • dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    Campfire is fine.
    Swapping endlessly at any time is too much/too easy. Eliminates all commitment or investment.
    Why not just give all access to all encounters at all times? There has to be some limits, some forethought, some choice and consequences of making the wrong choice.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
  • wileecoyoteymwileecoyoteym Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    First boss in CN. I would have to go back to the campfire and re stat to my AOE spec?! That's kinda lame but is understandable. At least reposition the campfires please. Beginning and ends of bosses should have a camp spawn. Not going to complain too much because I can always just do what I normally do in CN and re stat at the last boss. Fbi on the other hand perfect campfire placements!
  • litaaerslitaaers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 871 Arc User
    This will spur sales for the game, as people will want to explore setups, rather than finding the leet-ist loadout and staying with it. It will also allow people to run content again to get various gear (I'm all for having specific dungeons/encounters spawn specific rewards).
  • dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    @wileeecoyote
    "First boss in CN. I would have to go back to the campfire and re stat to my AOE spec?! That's kinda lame but is understandable. At least reposition the campfires please. Beginning and ends of bosses should have a camp spawn. Not going to complain too much because I can always just do what I normally do in CN and re stat at the last boss."
    There IS a campfire outside the door of the first boss... all three bosses in CN (2nd boss campfire is at top of stairs).
    But I agree, they should check positioning/ad campfires.
    As I recall there is a CF at or near the "door" to almost every boss in the game.
    Having a limited number of opportunities to swap is good: forces some planning, timing and strategy. Just cheese otherwise.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
  • mousebreaker85#4641 mousebreaker85 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    Swap at anytime?
    Can you imagine my TR being able to swap from a never ending stealth unkillable scoundrel and then just switching to a massive damage single target ,then back again cycling thru weapon enchants and armor enchants
    Then just when I get low going back to a soulforged to pop back up. lol I would love it but others not so much .
    The massive OPness this would cause
    In pvp not to mention how easy pve would become just wouldn't be fun
  • wizardlvl80#5963 wizardlvl80 Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    Dude. My GF will have option to switch for tank mode tactician and conqueror for solo dailies. This is a bless. This is like the best thing for the game from a long, long time. People will use loadouts, all people. Pally will be able to tank and heal. My HR will switch profit from it too. Campfires are good. Nothing bad with them.
  • santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    Not much here for a GWF. Perhaps quick optional changes. Only one viable paragon, and not many usable powers/feats. Things that might be useful, like enchant switching, aren't part of the featue.
  • waywardwizard#4349 waywardwizard Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    C'mon get into your role-playing mindset. The adventurers gather round the fire. Take off some gear, equip another, makes sense :smile:

The game has a camp fire practically everywhere anyway
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    campfires are part of RPG in many stories. even with "caravans" stoping for nights and gather around campfires.
  • arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    will there be a keybind to switch between the loadouts or still the same thing as to select powers sheet and pick the encounters to use? if it doesnt then becomes worthless to buy loadouts.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,211 Arc User
    I switch gear for my toons all the time. However, it is not for combat purpose but for XP purpose. That means I usually do the switching before and after talking to the quest giver. Also, before and after leadership management.

I thought Loadout would be a good help for this purpose. However, since the CF requirement, that does not help me because I don't want to go to CF , do the loadout switch, go to quest giver, go back to the CF, do the loadout switch. In addition, there may not be a campfire near by when I do leadership.

Because of CF limitation, I guess loadout will not help me for this purpose.
    I am not saying it should not have CF limitation.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User

I switch gear for my toons all the time. However, it is not for combat purpose but for XP purpose. That means I usually do the switching before and after talking to the quest giver. Also, before and after leadership management.

I thought Loadout would be a good help for this purpose. However, since the CF requirement, that does not help me because I don't want to go to CF , do the loadout switch, go to quest giver, go back to the CF, do the loadout switch. In addition, there may not be a campfire near by when I do leadership.

It will be interesting to see how VIP plays with this. I intended to use it almost the exact same way, though I have high enough level XP gear that I don't have to switch to finish the content that often, so won't be a huge deal.
    edited April 2017

It will be interesting to see how VIP plays with this. I intended to use it almost the exact same way, though I have high enough level XP gear that I don't have to switch to finish the content that often, so won't be a huge deal.
    What would VIP do? I already have VIP 12. My goal is to get XP overflow 45K raw AD as often as possible. Depend on the toon, the alternate suit gives 83% to 127% XP bonus.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    VIP gives a player certain aspects of always being at a campfire - invoking, no CD on power changing. Since it isnt available on Preview, we have no way to know if it will act as a campfire for loadouts. (guessing no...)
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    edited April 2017

What would VIP do? I already have VIP 12. My goal is to get XP overflow 45K raw AD as often as possible. Depend on the toon, the alternate suit gives 83% to 127% XP bonus.
    Might be wrong, but I think he's referring to the following VIP benefit:

VIP Level 5: Invocation from anywhere

Based on empirical observations, it seems that this works by treating you as at a campfire at all times. With this benefit, for instance, you can change powers anywhere without the standard 8sec cooldown (even in combat) that is normally applied if you are not at a campfire.

So people are curious if the same will hold true for the loadout switching.
    edited April 2017
    pitshade said:

VIP gives a player certain aspects of always being at a campfire - invoking, no CD on power changing. Since it isnt available on Preview, we have no way to know if it will act as a campfire for loadouts. (guessing no...)

dupeks said:

Might be wrong, but I think he's referring to the following VIP benefit:

VIP Level 5: Invocation from anywhere

Based on empirical observations, it seems that this works by treating you as at a campfire at all times. With this benefit, for instance, you can change powers anywhere without the standard 8sec cooldown (even in combat) that is normally applied if you are not at a campfire.

So people are curious if the same will hold true for the loadout switching.
    Oh! Thanks. However, I don't expect it is the same as having campfire at all times. For example, no healing and no camp fire bonus.
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User

Hey Plastic, have you ever thought about having a set of cheap gear with utility slots with your Azures slotted? You can have a Loadout just for XP that puts this gear on - get your quest/leadership XP boost then hit the loadout again to switch back. It would take up more inventory space though as I assume you use Azures that stack together?
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    armadeonx said:

Hey Plastic, have you ever thought about having a set of cheap gear with utility slots with your Azures slotted? You can have a Loadout just for XP that puts this gear on - get your quest/leadership XP boost then hit the loadout again to switch back. It would take up more inventory space though as I assume you use Azures that stack together?
    That's exactly what Plasticbat is talking about, but not being able to switch loadouts unless you're at a campfire means you can't stop in the middle of a quest to switch loadouts and change your professions, then change back immediately. Not absolutely everything that gives you quest XP is conveniently close to a campfire either.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    edited April 2017

armadeonx said:

Hey Plastic, have you ever thought about having a set of cheap gear with utility slots with your Azures slotted?
    I'm pretty sure that's exactly what he does. How else do you get 127% xp bonus?
    Yes, that is what I am doing. Once, someone asked why I was wearing black ice gear. :)
    And, quite often, I was fighting with that ... because I forgot to switch back. :)
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    Lol, aka, the only set you might have from the past that you could not salvage for AD when it became useless?
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia

Lol, aka, the only set you might have from the past that you could not salvage for AD when it became useless?

I kept that more for sentimental value. It was tough to get that back then.