test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Companions

Hi All,

Wanted some expert opinions on my current active companion list for my GF.

Summoned: Moonbow Priestess

Active:
Epic Blacksmith
Epic Bullette
Epic Frozen Galeb Duhr
Epic Energon

This is my current setup on my GF for my active companions. I am considering swapping out the Energon for a rust monster if I can pick one up. If I can get my hands on a Harper Bard that would replace my Moonbow Priestess.

Are my companions good or should I aim for some different one and if so, why.

Comments

• rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    I would ditch the Blacksmith. The damage is capped around ~2000, which sucks. Even if you're going to make the argument to use it to lifesteal, you're probably better off picking the Death Salad Slaad, which procs of at-will hits and actually adds quite a bit more damage than you'd think.

I would also ditch the Galeb Duhlr as soon as you can field a better companion. The DR, while not the greatest, makes it somewhat more useful for your GF than the Blacksmith. However, given that the damage debuff companions (Rust/Chicken/Air Cultists) affect the survivability of multiple people and aren't capped out at 95%, those would probably be a better pick than the Galeb Duhlr.

Other than that, your Bulette Pup and Energon are decent enough choices that I can't see problems with. I would personally try and pick up the damage debuffing comps. I recall you also had issues with aggro, so consdier picking up a Dread Warrior or Black Ice Prospector (Sharpie found that the Black Ice Prospector tooltip is reversed: the comp takes less damage and the player has more threat)

• grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    I echo what rjc said, the blacksmith and galeb are the weakest of the 5 if not useless. For defensive replacements, I would go for chicken. Rust Monster is okay, good when fighting bosses that attack fast, but against regular mobs you won't get more than one stack if any. For offensive (to replace galeb) air archon, siegemaster, erinyes are your best bets.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    rjc9000 said:

I would ditch the Blacksmith. The damage is capped around ~2000, which sucks. Even if you're going to make the argument to use it to lifesteal, you're probably better off picking the Death Salad Slaad, which procs of at-will hits and actually adds quite a bit more damage than you'd think.

I would also ditch the Galeb Duhlr as soon as you can field a better companion. The DR, while not the greatest, makes it somewhat more useful for your GF than the Blacksmith. However, given that the damage debuff companions (Rust/Chicken/Air Cultists) affect the survivability of multiple people and aren't capped out at 95%, those would probably be a better pick than the Galeb Duhlr.

Other than that, your Bulette Pup and Energon are decent enough choices that I can't see problems with. I would personally try and pick up the damage debuffing comps. I recall you also had issues with aggro, so consdier picking up a Dread Warrior or Black Ice Prospector (Sharpie found that the Black Ice Prospector tooltip is reversed: the comp takes less damage and the player has more threat)

Oh man, wish I would have known about the Blacksmith prior to making him epic. When I made him epic I had a choice between making him epic and picking up a Rust Monster or Chicken. LOL...oh well.

I was planning on replacing the Galeb Duhlr once my DR get higher. At them moment without the bonding I'm at 48% DR and with bonding it goes to about 60%. When in groups my DR is around 62%. Having him active for me helps out on Orcus and other bosses that hit hard due to my lower DR.

As for the issues with holding threat, that was a result of me going protector and not really knowing how a protector holds threats. I am used to a more damage based tanking from other MMOs games I play. When I was a conqueror build I had no issues with threat, in fact enemies ran to me from the other side of the room. The last two days I have had issues as a protector, so I went back to Conqueror this morning as I hate running my dailies and taking 25-50%+ longer due to my lower damage.

So, instead of the Blacksmith I should aim for the Chicken or the Rust Monster. Just a quick question on the Blacksmith that I would like to know. The damage that he does reflect back, do you take that damage still?

• boromir#3940 boromir Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    When running FBI or MSVA I change out 3 of my offensive companions for more defensive ones. I include the frozen galeb duhr. It is not terrible to my understanding. It works just like a negation or Valhalla set bonus. Gives you increased DR as you take damage. As a GF you'll always be taking damage. This allows you to maximize HP with your guild HP boon and and Energon. That said, rust monster is great. Speed runs or pure tanking, I never take mine off.
  • grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    Oh sorry mistook the frozen bonus for the regular one. Doesn't seem too bad.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".