test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Paladin PvE damage/buff/tank guide

Comments

• armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    Bear in mind the bonuses from Underdark rings are being removed from companions in mod 11, i.e. sudden rings will no longer benefit you. There's some new companion gear coming out at the same time though but I don't know what we're getting yet and whether rings, belts or whatever will be most in demand.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • trzebiat#2067 trzebiat Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    armadeonx said:

Bear in mind the bonuses from Underdark rings are being removed from companions in mod 11, i.e. sudden rings will no longer benefit you. There's some new companion gear coming out at the same time though but I don't know what we're getting yet and whether rings, belts or whatever will be most in demand.

Wait. They are rendering all Sudden rings useless in the next mod? All the farming for Brutality and Sudden Precision +5 will go for nothing? Did they went crazy or something? I thought that patch note about Underdark rings was referring to some bug that caused effects from the ring trigger on player and not only on companion like it should.
  • slappdanielslappdaniel Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    armadeonx said:

Ring slots will still be pretty good since its easier to fill those slots with ostorian rings +5 and new companion gear.
    @slappdaniel could you explain why and how do you use Sacred Weapons?

because it deals alot of damage. i press q.
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User

butbut what if we use E or R or any other keybind for our Sacred Weapon keybind?

:(

And also, does Sacred Weapon apply to Divine Judgement? I would assume not (since Divine Judgement hits foes in an AoE cone), but you never know with Cryptic's programming.

Haha, but I don't have any Q button on the gamepad. On a serious note, I've been playing with it for a while and I'm very confused with the damage numbers. The damage from at-wills is insane but it doesn't match the numbers I see in log. While Divine Judgement deals for me 200-300k I see damage while using Shielding Strike easily go to 500k. I've seen hits for over 2 mil from Shielding Strike in mDemo, and with hardly even any buffs from one DC.
    rjc9000 said:

butbut what if we use E or R or any other keybind for our Sacred Weapon keybind?

:(

And also, does Sacred Weapon apply to Divine Judgement? I would assume not (since Divine Judgement hits foes in an AoE cone), but you never know with Cryptic's programming.
    well he asked me, how i use it and i press q ;). yes sacred weapon and divine judgement work together.

Haha, but I don't have any Q button on the gamepad. On a serious note, I've been playing with it for a while and I'm very confused with the damage numbers. The damage from at-wills is insane but it doesn't match the numbers I see in log. While Divine Judgement deals for me 200-300k I see damage while using Shielding Strike easily go to 500k. I've seen hits for over 2 mil from Shielding Strike in mDemo, and with hardly even any buffs from one DC.
    press a then ;). that sounds strange, normally divine judgement does most damage.
  • rayyann901rayyann901 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    hi, on encounter use, you said only use Templar's wrath on trash...how do you survive CN Orcus one hit kill without it?
    assuming no AA from ac dc / fox cunning or insta heal from healidin.

hi, on encounter use, you said only use Templar's wrath on trash...how do you survive CN Orcus one hit kill without it?
    assuming no AA from ac dc / fox cunning or insta heal from healidin.

legendary lion mount is normaly enough with a good group. obviously there are exceptions like orcus where you slot templars with a bad group.
  • sh0ckg#5177 sh0ckg Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Any changes to the powers or gear since the AA nerf?

Any changes to the powers or gear since the AA nerf?

no. the only thing i will get is probably the eye of the giant since its in the tradebar store now.
  • senticonsenticon Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    Need advice here, I'm looking to try out another character and I'm choosing between Paladin Oath of Protection or Guardian Iron Vanguard, obviously I want tank, but I still lean more towards Paladin. What's the situation with them currently? Is GF still considered better tank than OP or OP got something good too?
    senticon said:

Need advice here, I'm looking to try out another character and I'm choosing between Paladin Oath of Protection or Guardian Iron Vanguard, obviously I want tank, but I still lean more towards Paladin. What's the situation with them currently? Is GF still considered better tank than OP or OP got something good too?

I own a 3,300 Tankadin and a 4k Conqueror GF, and I can safely say that both have their uses and are equally viable as tanks. But both have their nuances.

The Paladin has the superior defensive tools (compare: GF: KV, some damage debuffs. OP: Absolution, Shield of Faith, Sanctuary, Circle of Power, Divine Protector, Bane, Smite, etc.) The OP can put teammates at the DR cap and still has room to mitigate damage, whereas the GF needs to take a risk to protect their teammates.

The Paladin also has more passive buffs which make it easier to manage for newer tank players (Aura Gifts + Courage just require you to stand near your team, no attacking necessary).

The GF requires a little bit more effort to play (need to face shield in right direction, can't hide behind shield forever, actively need to mark targets, buffs require you to drop your shield).

In exchange, the GF has the advantage of much better offensive capabilities which generally are much appreciated in endgame (ITF, CS, and free CA from marking effects). And also, don't for get lolConquerorDPS (Draco, no offense man, but a Conq GF like Snoo will generally trumph your OP's DPS).

If you plan to follow the Tankadin path, I don't know if Draco's Paladin build will be your style, since Draco's build is more spamming Divine Judgement/Smite/Burning Light/Sacred Weapon for damage with less emphasis on team protection. If you do follow Draco's build, at least you'll never have soloing issues.

I'd add to that by saying a 'team friendly' GF is built for buffs (tactician) and therefore has low DPS, whereas a team friendly Paladin is built for DPS because high DPS means high temp health threat generation.

Only very high GF's can tank and DPS efficiently.

There are a couple of things that would be considered 'out of date' on this guide, the main one being where he says to stack power for Aura Gifts. The amount of power gained by doing this is relatively small, you get most of your power in-combat via the Oath of Protection mechanic. You should instead make sure you have sufficient Recovery and Armor Pen but stack most of your points into Critical Chance.

• senticonsenticon Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    Thanks for the tips, I gave a spin to GF and I think my final pick will be OP, he sounds as just what I'm looking for.
    edited March 2017
    armadeonx said:

There are a couple of things that would be considered 'out of date' on this guide, the main one being where he says to stack power for Aura Gifts. The amount of power gained by doing this is relatively small, you get most of your power in-combat via the Oath of Protection mechanic. You should instead make sure you have sufficient Recovery and Armor Pen but stack most of your points into Critical Chance.

its not outdated. radiant all the way on op is the way to go. you need to get the needed arm pen through companion as well as crit. recovery is not really needed (4000-5000 is more then enough. more never hurts but only if your not sacrificing power or life for it).

edited March 2017
    I disagree. I'd be kinda ok with Brutals for a balanced power/crit but to my mind you want to get to a 2/3rds chance on critting Templars Wrath which means a ~65% crit chance (minimum).

That translates into an extra ~85% temp health but to get there you need to find around 14k crit chance with bonding procs, but you're only going to get around 8k from your companion which means you need 6k from elsewhere.

I consider that more important than providing an extra 1.5k extra power to DPS players. Losing 6k crit from gear would reduce your crit chance down to ~50% and going from a 2/3rds chance to 1/2 increases the risk to you for the sake of that 1.5k power which on a geared DPS is only an increase in dps of 1% - 1.5%.

Of course we now have the option to stack extra power or crit via mounts but to my mind you need to get your crit, recovery and armor pen to their ideal stat levels then put whatever capacity is left over into power.

The reason I say power is an outdated paradigm is because it comes from the days when the OP had 100% immunity from Binding Oath and before that, Divine Protector Temp Health was nice but it wasn't essential for survival - therefore crit was not important. We no longer have access to full immunity and have to compensate via extra temp health generation, which means critting on Templars Wrath as often as practically possible.
    Post edited by armadeonx on

armadeonx said:

I disagree. I'd be kinda ok with Brutals for a balanced power/crit but to my mind you want to get to a 2/3rds chance on critting Templars Wrath which means a ~65% crit chance (minimum).

That translates into an extra ~85% temp health but to get there you need to find around 14k crit chance with bonding procs, but you're only going to get around 8k from your companion which means you need 6k from elsewhere.

I consider that more important than providing an extra 1.5k extra power to DPS players. Losing 6k crit from gear would reduce your crit chance down to ~50% and going from a 2/3rds chance to 1/2 increases the risk to you for the sake of that 1.5k power which on a geared DPS is only an increase in dps of 1% - 1.5%.

Of course we now have the option to stack extra power or crit via mounts but to my mind you need to get your crit, recovery and armor pen to their ideal stat levels then put whatever capacity is left over into power.

The reason I say power is an outdated paradigm is because it comes from the days when the OP had 100% immunity from Binding Oath and before that, Divine Protector Temp Health was nice but it wasn't essential for survival - therefore crit was not important. We no longer have access to full immunity and have to compensate via extra temp health generation, which means critting on Templars Wrath as often as practically possible.

i get over 13k crit from my companion which brings me to ~93% crit (rest is filled up with potions etc to get to 100%). Again ... you only want radiant on you character. And its not 1.5k power share, its way more. Why do you think, you could tell me, that my guide is outdated :(. No offense, but i obviously know better, if my guide is outdated or not.
    Actually to be completely honest I mistook which thread I was looking at and thought I was commenting on the one by Neopeen lol.

To be fair on the subject of stat distribution, I did say "to my mind you need to get your crit, recovery and armor pen to their ideal stat levels then put whatever capacity is left over into power" which is a justifiable point as each of these stats impacts the functionality of the class whereas power mostly impacts buff potential.

As to whether the stats are placed on your gear or on your mount is kinda neither here nor there really, except that generally speaking, mount insignias tend to be more expensive point for point.

I am curious how you sit at 80% crit chance with 9k crit strike, I mean factoring in 31 pts from feats (without the campfire bonus) plus 22.5% from your stats gives you ~53.5% (actually I just checked your pictures, it shows 53.8). Are you using a ring of sudden precision? I can't tell because it's in German. Obviously there's the boons 'Baphomet's Might' & 'Gale of Retribution' which if procced together will add a further 7.5%, but all of these things would still only put you on 71%.

edited March 2017
    armadeonx said:

Actually to be completely honest I mistook which thread I was looking at and thought I was commenting on the one by Neopeen lol.

To be fair on the subject of stat distribution, I did say "to my mind you need to get your crit, recovery and armor pen to their ideal stat levels then put whatever capacity is left over into power" which is a justifiable point as each of these stats impacts the functionality of the class whereas power mostly impacts buff potential.

As to whether the stats are placed on your gear or on your mount is kinda neither here nor there really, except that generally speaking, mount insignias tend to be more expensive point for point.

I am curious how you sit at 80% crit chance with 9k crit strike, I mean factoring in 31 pts from feats (without the campfire bonus) plus 22.5% from your stats gives you ~53.5% (actually I just checked your pictures, it shows 53.8). Are you using a ring of sudden precision? I can't tell because it's in German. Obviously there's the boons 'Baphomet's Might' & 'Gale of Retribution' which if procced together will add a further 7.5%, but all of these things would still only put you on 71%.

I dont use sudden precision. On char i use rising power and Ostorian Ring of Hellig +5. On companion Ostorian Ring of Hellig +5 (cause i dont have a better ring with 2 offense slots), Ring of the Loyal Avenger and Neck of the Loyal Avenger. I would like a Greater Ostorian Ring of Dod +5 for my companion but havent gotten one after 1000000000000000000 fbi runs xD. Companion gift puts me to ~25000crit (so iam at ~93%crit). To get to 100% i just use Squash Soup etc.). Boons like 'Baphomet's Might' & 'Gale of Retribution' put me over 100% crit cause i dont like to plan my stats with unreliable boons.
  • aaramis75aaramis75 Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    Mod 11 weapons - going Aboleth? or Lifeforged?

With the nerf to Lifeforged I'm not sure it's still worth it for a tank, although there's always the chance in the future it might get adjusted again.
    edited March 2017
    aaramis75 said:

With the nerf to Lifeforged I'm not sure it's still worth it for a tank, although there's always the chance in the future it might get adjusted again.

relic weapons are best in slot. especially for op.

aaramis75 said:

relic weapons are best in slot. especially for op.
    Oh, I just read the new set bonus on that old Firesoul. It's now useless for OP if you sit at so low defense. Originally increasing defense by 5% and adding all defense to power for max 30% power increase sounded perfect for OP. I was actually wondering if the power gained from it can be shared.
    Mod 11b stuff to get for op:

Paladin Stronghold Set II
    Titansteel Mace
    Titansteel Kite Shield

Mastercraft Armor II
    Titansteel Restoration Cuirass
    maybe Titansteel Restoraion Poleyns
    BIG maybe Titansteel Restoration Armet

Masterwork Neck Sets II
    Sphene Amulet

Masterwork Waist Sets II
    Sphene Sash or Rubellite Sash

I dont use sudden precision. On char i use rising power and Ostorian Ring of Hellig +5. On companion Ostorian Ring of Hellig +5 (cause i dont have a better ring with 2 offense slots), Ring of the Loyal Avenger and Neck of the Loyal Avenger. I would like a Greater Ostorian Ring of Dod +5 for my companion but havent gotten one after 1000000000000000000 fbi runs xD. Companion gift puts me to ~25000crit (so iam at ~93%crit). To get to 100% i just use Squash Soup etc.). Boons like 'Baphomet's Might' & 'Gale of Retribution' put me over 100% crit cause i dont like to plan my stats with unreliable boons.

I got a +5 Dod on my OP... perhaps I should stuff it in my comp for the extra Crit...

Titansteel Mace
    Titansteel Kite Shield

Mastercraft Armor II

Masterwork Neck Sets II
    Sphene Amulet

Masterwork Waist Sets II

I'm curious Draco, why the Stronghold Set v2? Doesn't the Relic Setbonus confer more damage? Or is it because the passive damage boost is easier to manage?

edited March 2017
    rjc9000 said:

I got a +5 Dod on my OP... perhaps I should stuff it in my comp for the extra Crit...

Titansteel Mace
    Titansteel Kite Shield

Mastercraft Armor II

Masterwork Neck Sets II
    Sphene Amulet

Masterwork Waist Sets II

I'm curious Draco, why the Stronghold Set v2? Doesn't the Relic Setbonus confer more damage? Or is it because the passive damage boost is easier to manage?
    the relic setbonus only works in msva, fbi etc. but yeah i will probably only change the chest for sure. the rest is only a maybe. the stats are kinda weird on all the pieces, so relic armor is still BIS. the only thing the new armor has going for it, is the higher amount of hp.
    Could you post a screenshots of new stuff for OP?
  • rubytruerubytrue Member Posts: 582 Arc User

Could you post a screenshots of new stuff for OP?

Tooltips, please.