test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Arcane Focus & Writings Update

1235»

Comments

• silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    ok .. again.. you did this during double reclaim.. and yes I dont blame peole for taking advantage of it.. you cannot make huge pools anymore.

If you started today.. this is the reality of it.

• ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    People neglect one other major issue with the rate you get writings. People aren't going to be grinding this out forever. Many will be done in another month or two. Once that happens people left over or new players tackling this mod aren't going to have a supply of writings to buy off the AH. Any still left are going to be selling for a lot more than they currently are.

The HEs will become a lot more empty so you can kiss writings from the ship BHE goodbye. So only viable means they have are grinding the living hell out of digsites. The HAMSTER poor amounts you get and the double loot fix makes this too punishing vs every other resource.

You get 2 focus per day with no effort. 25 reclaimed magic gives you fey blood or volatile ichor which only need 50 of. 50 vs 105 and the one you need less of requires WAAY less resources and it also makes finishing the daily a cake walk. Is that balanced?
  • dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    ghoulz66 said:

People neglect one other major issue with the rate you get writings. People aren't going to be grinding this out forever. Many will be done in another month or two. Once that happens people left over or new players tackling this mod aren't going to have a supply of writings to buy off the AH. Any still left are going to be selling for a lot more than they currently are.

The HEs will become a lot more empty so you can kiss writings from the ship BHE goodbye. So only viable means they have are grinding the living hell out of digsites. The HAMSTER poor amounts you get and the double loot fix makes this too punishing vs every other resource.

You get 2 focus per day with no effort. 25 reclaimed magic gives you fey blood or volatile ichor which only need 50 of. 50 vs 105 and the one you need less of requires WAAY less resources and it also makes finishing the daily a cake walk. Is that balanced?

People said this same stuff with Lanolin and Turtle Moult in SKT. They said this about running SVA for marks. It didn't turn out that way though (interest declined a bit, but didn't go away. If anything, in my experience groups are less exclusive now then they were when the mod first arrived)

The reason it doesn't empty out as you predict is that folks still come back for alts. And not everyone completes content at the same rate. There are plenty of high-level players who can't grind for hours every day, but also don't mind taking their time getting new shiny. They continue to trickle into the zone well past the first "batch" of early adopters.

Just my 2 cents.

What do you mean double reclaim? I know some were double looting chests, but never heard of that for anything else.

Not only COULD you double loot chests.. YOU could actually triple loot it.

Where do you think all of these pools of thousands come from quickly..

I dont blame people who did it, but I cant believe they EVEN use this as a argument.

• dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    edited March 2017

What do you mean double reclaim? I know some were double looting chests, but never heard of that for anything else.

Not only COULD you double loot chests.. YOU could actually triple loot it.

Where do you think all of these pools of thousands come from quickly..

I dont blame people who did it, but I cant believe they EVEN use this as a argument.

FWIW, that was also when they only stacked up to 99. I know most of the folks I was farming digs with would routinely dump a bunch to the ship just to clear up inventory space. Holding thousands of reclaimed resources took up whole bags worth of space.

And that aside, if you still run digs the drop rate for resources on the far-away digs isn't that abysmal. Especially if you focus on trying for dungeons specifically, reclaimed magic accumulates at a reasonable rate. I started my DC in RD this weekend, playing 1-1.5hrs a day and she's already over 300 reclaimed magic just by doing daily digs for AF.

And not everyone double-looted. Embarrassingly, I didn't even realize you could until it was about to be patched. And even then I was weary about it because of concern about how it impacted AF drops / possible repercussions to my acct. My CW has almost a thousand reclaimed magic, almost entirely from first lootings only.

Broad generalizations don't always work!
    im not using broad generalizations.. but cleary if you go tto 105 writings.. you were using this system.. or they put in thier 20-30 hours in grinding legit.

kudos to them.. but Ill be honest.. im assuming alot of these posters, double or triple looted, turned in , got security and totally forgetting that ITS gone now..

I did notice if I ignored the ship when its popping i can grind a bit faster.. considering the ship he.. is pure rng as well.. might as well skip it..

even if im the one popping it.

One of the things that they could change, instead of drop chances or antyhing is JUST make mobs you kill in hes and placeholders and guard attacks count against the security.. so while your attacking ALL mobs anywhere.. it counts..

this actually would be a viable solution to me...

I didnt even know THOSE didnt count until 2 days ago.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited March 2017

One of the things that they could change, instead of drop chances or antyhing is JUST make mobs you kill in hes and placeholders and guard attacks count against the security.. so while your attacking ALL mobs anywhere.. it counts..

this actually would be a viable solution to me...

I didnt even know THOSE didnt count until 2 days ago.

I asked for that, and that dig sites should count for something, and that mobs in HEs should drop resources. And I still think that would be fair.

Everyone should be glad that preview players hollering about making security and resistance decline over time were heeded and they eliminated that mechanic.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia

ok.. that is fine defiantone..

you put your hours in.. I would like to see some reduction (slightly ) of writings..

but SOME of these people did use that system.. and keep posting how everyting is fine.

Would it really bother you , if we could save 5-6 hours of grind on the writings? Since you did it.
  • xxxhansolxxxxxxhansolxxx Member Posts: 104 Arc User

ok .. again.. you did this during double reclaim.. and yes I dont blame peole for taking advantage of it.. you cannot make huge pools anymore.

If you started today.. this is the reality of it.

I never used double looting .. tbh i wasnt even aware of it till they said they were fixing it. I simply buy more reclaimed ressources from the travelling merchant with the treasures and ground jade, because i have so much of these i cant even beggin to figure what to use em for. Then I use the reclaimed ressources to complete the security and ritual task.

Got plenty of writing that way, no grindings, no RNG, no AD involved ...
  • litaaerslitaaers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 871 Arc User
    That's the thing with this Mod... you can focus on getting what you want, when you want. Got more than enough Abandoned Treasures? Open up the Traveling merchant, then load up on Reclaim, Voninblood or keys. Need AF? Try your luck at dig sites. Need Writings? Do HE's and turn over the Campaign task often.

I think you really have to pigeon hole your situation to be completely bummed by this Mod. By that, I mean, being the corner case at EVERY opportunity ('Kill mobs', 'I'm not hi-DPS' - 'Join a party', 'I only play solo' - 'Then grind it out', 'I only have limited play time' - 'Then buy what you can', 'I shouldn't have to to complete in the same time frame as you').

I'm not saying that this is what you are saying... just that you can't please everyone. For instance, I have arthitis, and trying to quickly click the buttons on the Profession Tasks is tough, as they are narrow and small unless I lower my resolution to unplayable low levels. I've thought about asking them to add an option to enlarge the buttons, but I realize that the issue is MINE, and unless a large portion of the playerbase has similar issues, I can mention it, then let it go. because I am one player, with a specific situation.
  • spideymtspideymt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 710 Arc User
    Great posts @xxxhansolxxx and @litaaers .
    @silverkelt:
    A lot of "i"s in your posts :) . I think you are over reacting now. You dont know whats the best way to farm the new weapon set.I read a lot of assumptions from you about the grind. Other players are trying to give you facts...but you wont listen.Sry, no offense. But its a game. This new weapon set is not a must have to play neverwinter. You still can do everything in this game and farm this new set in that speed you want. I still think im ok with writings/focus. No dungeon needed fo the new weapons, no keys needed, only time and ressources. Dont see a real issue with that.

• therealprotextherealprotex Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 526 Arc User
    I think the only issue that people are having now is the upcoming DR event. At the current rate some are afraid they won't restore their weapons in time. I am pretty sure if there was another DR event two, three or four four weeks after the upcoming one, this thread would be dead after the AF change.
    Seem so...but you cant make it right for everybody ^^

• wizardlvl80#5963 wizardlvl80 Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    @silverkelt

You say writings would cost 900k AD. Okay, that's fine.

Do you remember the prices of SKT restoration components? 30k AD for 1 moult, 20k AD for 1 lanolin, 900k-1milion for profession component. I know people who spent fortunes just to avoid grinding these things.

How can you even compare obtaining fully restored RD weapons to SKT weapons? Have you done the SKT grind? I have. It was freaking nightmare. So many things I had to do. So many qests, activities, msva runs and I still don't have my Relics at orange. I suggest you chill man. It sounds like you're having problem that you can't get them in 2 weeks. You want it? Grind for it. I've spoken with people who grinded SKT weapons and now they're doing RD wepons for alts and they say it's sooooo much easier now.

I've spoken with people who grinded SKT weapons and now they're doing RD wepons for alts and they say it's sooooo much easier now.

Thats true. Comparing to SKT weapons is it much easier to get the new weapons.

• namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    I just checked my writings count across my four toons and have only 19 each. Think I saw writings on the AH in the 5K area a week or two ago. Now they are in the 8K as people are getting their weapons. It's going to be a very expensive double-refine for me this time.

Sadly, these weapons will be acquirable only by old-timers with resources or newer people who have all day to grind. I haven't done any dungeons since mod 11 hit, and I don't think I will do any for the next month or two. Why spend 15 minutes in CN/eToS and get 6K AD only to spend 8K for a writing. Might as well spend that 15 minutes doing the security task for a writing.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User

Everyone should be glad that preview players hollering about making security and resistance decline over time were heeded and they eliminated that mechanic.

That's actually a very good point. The screaming, whining and complaining would have been much louder if that "feature" had made it to Live. They did also fix a few other issues (like Dig sites being impossible to finish if you pulled mobs from the treasure room). No, they did not fix everything - we did complain about the repeatable campaign tasks setting Resistance/Security to zero, instead of subtracting 100, so you typically will lose some points each time you do the task. Also, they did overreact on the AF issue, but that have been resolved now. Anyhow, the point is that giving us a chance to test things on Preview before they go live does help ... it would be better if we had more time to test, but at the very least, some of the worst issues will be found and fixed.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • bashteros1234bashteros1234 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    For me writings are the problematic resource too, because I hate standing around and spamming "pls invite ship HE" (I feel like a leech doing so), but that was a decision I made and I have to bear the consequences. To be fair, they gave another slower option to get them by upgrading dig sites but during my playtime it's frustrating to find upgradable sites - even changing to lower population instances doesn't help because many player use that same strategy.

I accept the arcane focus as time gate resource, but instead of grinding writings in HEs I would have liked 2 versions of spellplague - the first version (normal) gives you writings to upgrade the weapon and the second version (master) is where I use these new shiny weapon.

But overall the grinding in mod 11 is much better then mod 10/10.5 that made me stop playing neverwinter for almost 1 year.
    edited March 2017
    what ive been doing is killing my 100 mobs.. if ship pops up, i will go and do it.. i wll not jump zones.. you get like a 1 out of 8 chance for a writing on ship anyways. Its not really any faster.

Without the double and triple reclaim.. doing dig sites nets you 8 to a max of 25 per resource.. you do the math.. you would have to do a boat load of dig sites.

I will stand by my conclusion.. the time frame to get writings in total .. will be between 20-30 hours depending on how aggressive you farm for the writings.

you can do a mini lair depending on what one it is.. in 10-15 mins.. but it does take time to get in and out and pop portals and drag from bank and such.

and the arcane focus.. you can do now just ten-15 mins over the course of 30 days.. as long as you have magic reclaim.. you may have to take a day and farm it.. so you can continue the faster turn in days.

So it will take about 30 days.. all told around 70 or so hours of actual in game time in the zone to get the weapons. While, I 100% agree that getting relic is harder.. 70 or so hours of in game time for weapons.. still seems a tad ludicrous to me..

Writings is by far the biggest bottle neck now.

The price for writings continue to go up.. they were averaging 7.5k before the changes.. they are into the 8s and 9s now.

Simply put.. I truly believe people keep writing that writings is fine because either A.. they got them during double/triple loot bug, or B.. they are trying to sell them or C.. are opposed to the weapons and want people to suffer.. and yes there is still people in category c posting on this post.. just lol to them.. TROLL.

But whatever.. this is my last post on the subject.. I will just continue on from here.. im tired of discussing it and fighting trolls at every turn..

The matter of trolling is subjective, but it to me is someone who basically rips, attacks, disagrees, with zero real input on feedback..

They state things that are false.. are not really going for the weapons, have no idea what they are talking about. when shown the actual math of something.. just go back to the ripping apart of people.

• adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited March 2017

For me writings are the problematic resource too, because I hate standing around and spamming "pls invite ship HE"

Why would you want to do that? Seriously....why not use a faster way to get the writings - and by that I mean upgrading the dig site guard posts.

My method: Find a low population instance. Ride between the 9 guard posts and upgrade whatever you can. If you run low on Reclaimed Weapons, do a few Sewer-type dig sites, or just visit the Traveling vendor and exchange some of the surplus Abandoned Treasures and Ground Jade you should have for Reclaimed Weapons (I do realize this may not be optimal for those wanting the Mirage weapons, as they actually need the Ground Jade, but for others, it is essentially an useless resource).

When you are finished with all 9 sites, switch instances and whenever you reach 100 Security do the campaign task and get your Writings.

Repeat until done.

This is what I did - and I had the Writings I needed a week before I got the last Arcane Focus I needed to upgrade my weapons. Now I just need the 2xRP event to get my mainhand from 56 to 60 - the offhand did crit when I put my old weapon in, so it is at 60 already.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • litaaerslitaaers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 871 Arc User

They state things that are false.. are not really going for the weapons, have no idea what they are talking about. when shown the actual math of something.. just go back to the ripping apart of people.

The problem is that your math is subjective. You are getting your security points (for example) one kill at a time, when there are other ways to get them, much faster, much easier. I assume the reasoning is 'I shouldn't have to give up X reclaim to get them, when I can get them for free'. Either way, you then use your time spent in the math, and claim that is the norm, or at least something that should be looked at.

The other day, I goofed, and spent all my Reclaimed Magic. Now I couldn't get into dig dites. Oh Noes!
    I went to the Traveling Merchant, spent a pittance of Abandoned Treasures to get 50 RM, and then proceeded to do dig sites, and other activities I came across. In 75 mins, I had 400+ RM, plus all of the other stuff that drops during this campaign. I really don't see the disconnect here.

My biggest issue now is where to keep all of the RP stuff I am getting. Bank and shared Bank is close to full, alts are full, and all but 30+ bag slots are full of stuff. Life is good in Neverwinter right now.

The only difference I can see is that I am using a DPS CW, and you might not be (I thought you said you collected these stats on a support class, not sure). Other than the time to burn through the kills, every other opportunity is the same. The only reason I speak against changing things again is that... it isn't really needed. And if they change one more thing, what will be the NEXT bottleneck you say is impeding you? Abandoned Treasure? Reclaim?

There is a stable place, and we are very near it now.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    Increased cost of writings right now is also potentially reflective of people getting their ducks in a row for 2xRP.

It might seem a little premature with the event still a few weeks off, but I'm noticing price jumps in other related areas. I think more people are planning this one farther in advance than the last few events precisely because of the new items.

I'd been looking for sweet deals on Catalogues for feeder artifacts, and they've nearly tripled in price over the last few days.

But I seriously think it's not worth flipping your hamster over catching this event. You will always pay more for desperation. The calendar hits a blank again a few weeks after Portobello ends, finishing with a 2xXP event. These are STRONG indicators of the timing of NWPC's next major update, which I expect we'll be hearing about soon. I'm sure the calendar update will include yet another 2xRP, because... they always do.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • bashteros1234bashteros1234 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    adinosii said:

Why would you want to do that? Seriously ...

Thank you for your input - I will try it that way. Many people finished their grind already and because of that there are hopefully more sites to upgrade.
  • mysteriasdrassamysteriasdrassa Member Posts: 299 Arc User
    Also, look for dig sites under attack,, they always need upgrading.. sometimes more than once if it's a longer attack..you have to do the upgrades quickly between waves if possible,,, takes a tad longer to fight the mobs, but you get all the bonus stuff they drop
    My strategy is.. run to a dig site.. kill off any mobs, upgrade site if it needs it, then run the dig site while there, pop out when finished and kill any mobs that may have spawned, upgrade site again if needed, move on to the next, maybe hit a heroic or lair or a chest hunt to clear out inventory space in between to break up the monotony,,,, and I'm sitting on plenty of writing as of right now,, I expect restore by the end of the weekend