Install Arc

Arcane Focus & Writings Update

Comments

• silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    I did 20 hes and got 2..

so again..

back to rng vagaries?

I dont understand.. this goes back to focus.. where i never got 3 out of 3.. the best i could do would be 1 out of 6 or 7..

if I didnt double loot it wouldbe been more like 1 out of ten or 12.. Like most.. I almost always got the focus on the seocnd loot, almost none on the first. I hated it , I much prefer this new system.

so why did you get 12 and I got 2?

It makes no sense to me at all..
    I guess.. alot of poeple I know are stuck in the teens on writings.. some of this was we were doing dig sites all day long and it didnt provide you access to any, so all we ever got was a few randoms..

I think i can get 1 or 2 a day now.. since i wont invest all of my time..

That still seems REALLY short of what many of you are commenting on..

most of the people I know are struggling with writings and just end up buying around 60-70 per toon..
  • dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User

I think most of mine came from upgrading posts and donating to the ship, not from encounters. Encounters usually just give rank 5s and treasures.

Yup. If you save up your reclaimed magic you can have this magical experience standing at an HE site delaying the ritual over and over... 4 delays gets you a 20second task that pops out a writing. Truly one of the most engaging experiences in the zone and one of the best sources of writings :)

YES but again.. this was when everyone was getting double reclaim.. i think the maths are still off here.. with the reclaim we get now.. its hard to get more then a couple a day

I still think they should just add 1 to the daily.
  • mousebreaker85#4641 mousebreaker85 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    I think the main issue for me is these weapons were supposed to be a lesser version of the relic weapons that you get 3 reclaimed runes a day and need 60 .Cool so 20 days ...fine
    With arcane focus 2 a day and you get less and need more....for inferior supposedly easier to obtain weapons?!?
    It is neither easier or less but at least they got the inferior part right..
    The main issue is most of us wanted to grab these for 2x refining which is not monthly anymore we see the event less and less now but anywho a lot will not make it in time because of arcane focus .
    I did 67 dig sites yesterday and didn't get one to drop,not sure if rngeesus thinks I'm a rngsatanist and is punishing me but talking to others it seems to be a universal punishment as a guildie got 1 AF outta 103 digs 10 plus hours of farming for....1!!
    What is the new rng 0.000001%
    I will get my relics and run enough swvenborgs or however it's spelled to upgrade to legendary before I'm halfway to the ascended which were supposedly much easier?
    Anyways don't mind my rant just venting. It does seem these campaigns are getting longer and longer grind wise and are not alt friendly .
    the kicker here is there are VERY wasy ways to at least make the grind less.

making AF BTA instead of BTC.. is one of the biggest ways.

I mean its a small but meaningful thing they couldve done.

They seem to be getting to be bigger and bigger jerks all the time.

In addition reclaim should go to useful tab..

just like WTF is that all about. its not fish where you sale or gut right away.. you have to have them all the time.. and keeping so many extra in regular inventory.. just man ..

I SWEAR to you they do this because they hate us.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User

I think most of mine came from upgrading posts and donating to the ship, not from encounters. Encounters usually just give rank 5s and treasures.

Pretty much. If you are still running dig sites often enough that you have weapons/riches to burn, then investing them into guard posts and feeding the ship gets lots of security.

Guard posts take very few resources per upgrade. You can coast on that for a long time if you seek out ones being attacked.

Magic: all into delaying rituals
    Weapons: reserve some for guard posts, rest can go into ship
    Riches: mostly to ship, reserve a little for guard posts

Higher stack sizes means it's easier to just let the stuff pile up until you can trigger the ship, ensuring you gain full benefits.

My writings and focus were close to 1:1 prior to the changes and focus is now ahead by a large margin, but I've been really distracted recently and kind of scrabbling to get this daily done at the last minute each day, so I'm not farming sweet FA. Much as I'd love to get more of my alts through it, it's pretty obvious I'm going to be waiting for the 2xRP after the next one... and you know what? I can totally live with that. If they only ran that event once a year, there'd actually be a problem.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • mysteriasdrassamysteriasdrassa Member Posts: 299 Arc User
    Guess some people will just NEVER be happy.... shrugs
    As for me,, I'm going to go play the game and have some fun with it.... I'm done with this topic... peace out :)
    Why is making requests making me happy or unhappy.. why do some people have to crash forum topics with the same rhetoric after four years =p ...

I make requests.. sometimes they are taking into consideration and sometimes they are not..

No one said a peep after I derailed the company for months after leadership change.. and lead the charge for costing changes.. but the moment I ask for some peasly campaign adjustments, i feel like the same 10-12 people have to comment on it over and over..

Well guess what.. Im not going to stop.. if you dont ask, you wont get anything changed.. if we all sat on our hands after leadership nerf.. you think they wouldve done anything? Alot of you come way after that stuff.. be grateful some of us are VOCAL..

asking for one peasily writing a day to relive some of the burden.. considering the super poor implementation and communication they gave.. is not that egregious of a request.. its not. many of us wasted hours and hours.. trying to do things, we couldnt do because it never was explained how to get these mats correctly.

What I do usually assume, is that when people dont want these type of requests.. its usually because they themselves are making a profit on it.

Thats fine.. you still CAN .. having one a day.. still means people will probably be short.. they still will want to buy 50 or 60 of them...

demand will just be adjusted slightly.. thats all..
  • litaaerslitaaers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 871 Arc User

No one said a peep after I derailed the company for months

**YOU**.... derailed the company..... talk about chutzpa.

The problem with the *asking* you are doing is that it will never end. Its like the person who calls up customer service yelling, and to get them to go away, some poor slob offers them a gift card. All that does is ENCOURAGE HAMSTER like that. No bueno.

Asking is one thing... repetively calling on Devs to COMPLY with information RIGHT MEOW!!!1! is why some people think this is unseemly, and..... yes, I'll say it... beneath you.

I expect faster discourse then we have gotten, yes.. but you are a prime example.. all you do is attack and hit disagree buttons, you are snarky, and do not offer anything in terms of arguments.

Why is it bad to ask for adjustments?

and.. yes my long history with this company, shows, they only listen to those are seem to be over the top.. I used to post items once.. then relized.. that nothing I asked for was ever adjusted..

So if you actually have something to offer besides snarkiness.. Im waiting, because Ive yet to see any post from you that isnt that.

• eyn85eyn85 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Sorry for this off topic question but since I am an new user at the forums and it doesnt let me create topics and this topic seems to be most viewed so far...anyway I played this game last year and the levelling had an balanced experience with my control wizard...the monsters DID damage to my char(sometimes with two or more of those stronger mobs it go my HP bar to like HALF or or even less)...anyway I took a break for some months and just recently returned and it seems the monsters now are weaker, only the stronger mobs are able to even take away my HP and this time not so much as before....I am usually one level behind of the mobs and even then they are not like before when they did MORE damage to my char...did this Mod 11 made the levelling mobs weaker or the control wizard more durable or something like that?? I am level 43 at pirate´s skyhold by the way.
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    Double loot fix has doubled the grind for getting writings through security. My daily is done and I have 2 arcane focus long before I ever get enough resources from RNG heavy dig sites to get to 100/100. That's just for 1 writing.

Even the HEs are a better bet for getting them, which isn't an option if your dps is HAMSTER poor.
    edited March 2017

Why is it bad to ask for adjustments?

Inherently, it isn't. But when you adjust something for one person, you MUST, MUST consider how that will affect others. If you don't, you are just at the trough, begging for goodies.

Also, I think I can pick a few posts of yours where you are snarky/pissy/downright insulting to the Devs, and anyone who agrees with the game they've made. It's not like you just ask nicely, then bump the post. You HARANGUE (had to look that one up, I did). And I guess if you hear someone spout long enough, you realize its ok to spout your own brand of justice.

I'll never understand why some people think its ok to go on a tear, but then tell others "You're not wanted here. This is MY thread.'.

So, to add some content, the changes are ok. If you can't get what you want in a specified time, play longer. If you can't play longer, that's the way it is.

P.S. The snark isn't personal. This is just a game forum, after all, not a way of life.

• minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User

Without the double looting giving vaguely reasonable drop rates, they'd have had to fix it much faster as everybody would have been up in arms. I actually didn't use it for quite a while as I don't like that sort of thing, but then I realised it was going to be close to Christmas before I got my weapons.

And now you have - legally! - all AF you need in less than 5 weeks (for one set), even without doing a single digsite. Huge benefit, I'd say.
    Yeah, unfortunately my last character had 4 weeks less a day till 2xRP started, and would have been fine under the old system, now may be struggling since you don't unlock the weekly immediately and that wasn't important before. I'm now 1/40 on that character.
  • lordseth1985lordseth1985 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 319 Arc User
    I must assume, the changes are ok... not good, but ok. The biggest issue is with dig sites, their drop rates are so low that it discourage anyone willing to farm them.
    Avestruz.Q.T.Seduz - Rogue, natural born assassin.
  • bbrightstonebbrightstone Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    Can anyone tell me how to get writings? I've opened every chest on the map multiple times, done every digsite multiple times, done every HE, and the only way I can get any writings is to do the Security, which takes forever to find guard posts I can even feed. I don't want to have to buy these, but that seems to be the only option.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User

Can anyone tell me how to get writings? I've opened every chest on the map multiple times, done every digsite multiple times, done every HE, and the only way I can get any writings is to do the Security, which takes forever to find guard posts I can even feed. I don't want to have to buy these, but that seems to be the only option.

Switch to a low population instance and run between the guard posts - it should be easy to find some you can upgrade. Also, get some friends together, and donate to run a number of treasure ship HEs back-to-back. If you are low on reclaimed riches for donations, just visit the traveling vendor and buy a pile of those.
    Hoping for improvements...
    edited March 2017
    Ok, i did quite amount of testing yesterday on security.. frankly if your DPS.. by far the fastest way is to kill 100 mobs. If your slower utility type.. this sux even worse.. suggestion, if you own two classes and one is dps.. FARM writings with dps.. it really really blows doing it on a DC.

I found a circuit that had 35 mobs.. on average , I earned 2.5 writings a hour.

you need 105 writings to get to this #, you will have to grind 42 hours.. however, you will get a few in rng with ships and such.. so the # will be reduced slight.. probably the closer to the truth # is 35 hours of pure hell grinding of writings.

due to reduction of reclaim, its hard to say how many you can do with pure upgrades alone.. maybe you can reduce that # into the low 30s high 20s.

Its alot of effing running around, thats for sure. the same complaint Ive had for since start of mod 10.. some reason they think this is fun or something..

Also the price of writings has gone up, not down, since changes, this to me, lends to the fact that they do not AS of yet have the right adjustment levels to them.

Please also remember, many of you GOT your writings when reclaim was easier to come by.. its harder now.. please bare that in mind when you give feedback.

you need to think of the circumstances AS they are now.. not as they were.

Also, JUST a reminder , counting today you can earn 58 minimum arcane focus till april 15th double rp..

• wizardlvl80#5963 wizardlvl80 Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    Getting unrestored relic weapons was 4 hours of doing quest line that gave close to nothing. Restoring weapons meant: grinding somi bhe, grinding lonelywood bhe, doing somi dailies, fishing, grinding tons of voninblood, grinding professions if you didn't had weaponsmithing lvl 25, treasure hunting and heavy grind of svardborg. Oh, you also had to progress in campaign tree to unlock svardborg, not to mention you had to complete FBI to unlock msva.

With mod11 weapons, all you have to do is basically 1 daily/weekly quest to eventually get them. You don't need special refinement and special marks to upgrade. Do you see the difference?

Saying that mod11 weapons are harder to grind is pure nonsense. I got Relic on my HR with a lot of time investment and AD investment. Never again. I don't even look at Somi with my GF. It's not devs problem you won't make it with restoration for the upcoming 2x event? It's your problem. I started RD campaign with my tactician GF 4 days after it came out and I'll have my both weapons restored on sunday. I'm doing daily quest and run 5-6 dig sites a day. I do Gyrion quests on weekends and managed to gather materials.

The change with daily getting Arcanic Focus is good. I don't have to worry about RNG cause I can calculate the exact amount of maximum time I'll get the number of AF needed to restoration.
    ummm .. dude your not paying attention.. i just gave you the time frame of the writings. Its not just a weekly.. you need 85 focus , 105 writings and 35 mini lairs.

All told its a about 60-70 hours of grind time to get the weapons. However its a bit locked, your most likely not getting them much less then 20-30 day range all told.

You can buy about half the time back .. for the cost of around 900k in AD.

If you just "do the weekly" as you suggest.. you are talking about 17 weeks to get enough arcane focus.

you would still have to buy the writings at 900k and enough portal stones (because if your not farming for them, you have to buy them via zen store... )

at 5 x 500 zen and say exchange rate of 498 its 249k per 5 stones x 6 = 1,494,000.

So you would have to wait 17 weeks time frame for weapons (that is 4.25 months) and pay out approx 2,394,000 in ad to buy the weapons.

or exchange the AD cost and time with grinding..

I would say.. getting relics to purple is about the same difficulty as getting the current weapons to legendary.. where the kicker is on relics is getting them to legendary.. that makes them much more difficult then current weapons.. as you have to run msva alot.. and lets face it.. few ground out keys because its ULTRA boring to do so.

But your premise isnt correct.. no one is goign to wait 17 weeks for weapons.. nor do most people want to dish out 2.4 million in AD for new weapons to just easily get them as you describe.
    edited March 2017
    You are taking that AD and time example to the extreme. Few people buy portal stones because the chests they come in drop like rain. I am sitting on 30 chests until I have the time to run them consecutively for Abandoned Treasures. You get one everytime you complete the 'Resist the Rituals' campaign task.

EDIT: Also, writings from the Security campaign task are not hard to get. This sounds to me more like 'DPS vs. Support' thing, which is a choice people make. It ISN'T going to be the same play experience, nor should it.

you would still have to buy the writings at 900k and enough portal stones (because if your not farming for them, you have to buy them via zen store... )

I currently have 28 (? ... 5 full stacks and a partial) of the things without even trying, plus have used a few. If you actually do the Resist and Security tasks with any regularity, you can't help accumulating them.

Plus you can piggyback with someone else for rewards. They don't even have to be your stones. Anyone buying them with Zen is arguably a fool.

Neverwinter Census 2017

edited March 2017
    No.. those grind times are for dps.. it would be around 100 hours all told with a utility..

Im not at all taking it to the extreme.. those are the hours you need to put in for the weapons.

this was run with a CW with full rank 12s , trans lighting enchant and legendary twisted. (with legendary fire archon and r12 bondings) with 4 other dps comps, + protectors com, friendship, assassins covenant as well) , you need to kill 100 mobs .. the best route i found has around 36 total.. as long as others dont steal it.. you earn about 2.5 average sort of.. because, frankly doing this is mind numbing and there are times I just couldnt hack it , so I sat around and waitined for mobs to spawn instead.. which increased my time alot.. a VERY dedicated person.. will do it into the 20's hours of farming.. most likely people will hit around 30 or so hours farming these.

Again you can skip this .. at a cost, which is around the million AD mark atm.

With the "fix to reclaim" its increased the time you needed to get weapons.

So we went with the vagaries of arcane focus farming but exchanged for alot less reclaim.. this actually has added time.

Im not trying to sound vexed, it is what it is at this point.

To say the weapons are easier.. yes.. because you dont need to per se group up.. but many support do, as its not all that easy for them. They cannot at all reasonable farm writings.. they will take 1/3rd or longer to complete regular farming.

I will not be farming writings with my dc.. I will simply purchase them.. but for my dps toons, I will try to do my own.

I will 100% admit that getting relics to legendary is much harder.. but these "new easier" to get weapons.. are not just a walk in the park.. they will take significant time and/or resources to get. They are easier in terms you dont have to group up as much and there isnt a gating involved.

I think they capitulated a bit too much to the people pissed off about relics.. At least its not as heavily influenced on RNG now with the arcane fix.. Because frankly I thought relic weapons were over the top.. and they shouldve altarted the requirements on those as well.. Making another mistake over another.. just compounds those mistakes.. it doesnt fix them. Long boring grinds.. are just long boring grinds..

I can live with this.. would I like to see the writings drop a bit more? yes.. its a LONG pita grind to get the ones you need.

I think there are people posting on this forum, who have not at all tried to get these weapons .. stating things that are not at all true.

I tried to dial down my vexation about these people posting and stick to a more #s and fact layout.

I go over the top at times and apologize for it.. I just wish people who dont like these weapons were ever offered, woudl just stop objecting over it.. they are in the game.. they are coming.. no reason to rehash the argument if they should be here or not..

asking for mild adjustments .. like fixing arcane rng.. and or maybe adding 1 guaranteed writing a day.. isnt over the top requests.

You still will have to farm items into significant time frames to get these weapons (a average of a couple hours a day at least) or pay 2 million AD out to skip it)

I currently have 28 (? ... 5 full stacks and a partial) of the things without even trying, plus have used a few. If you actually do the Resist and Security tasks with any regularity, you can't help accumulating them.

Plus you can piggyback with someone else for rewards. They don't even have to be your stones. Anyone buying them with Zen is arguably a fool.

Becky.. I was responding to the person who said all you have to do is one weekly.. which I was refuting.. its just not the truth.You will have spend lots of AD to do this..

of course you can do this.. but its not what I would do personally, nor is it what I am recommending people to do. I would 100% avoid spending ad on portal stones , because its not that much effort to grind them.. the real issue now is writings.

28 writings is really nothing.. sure you will get some on running around.. but its not actually as easy as people state. You will have to farm for them, if you want to avoid buying for them.. and it will take you lots of actual in game hours to do this.

I think people should track their hours for awhile to see ..
    28 portal stones, not 28 writings. I know my writings are falling behind my focus now, but like I've mentioned, I'm really going low effort right now because I got too much else going on in life and getting a new weapon in NW is just... who f'n cares, really?

Neverwinter Census 2017

edited March 2017
    Here is my bent.. it always has been.

I dont mind grinding things out in a reasonable manner.. as long as its not super boring things. .

Never-winter up to mod 10... did grind perfectly.. i never really complained about it.. in fact chided several people who said twisted was hard to get.. (the one exception was mod 4.. I hated mod 4.. even though I did it.. I found the repetitive waiting around type of grind extremely boring)

I didnt love getting my burning set.. and the 100 motes.. but I did it..

I got 5 other twisted sets as well..

none of that was really all that difficult.. it was the right type of grind.. then mod 10 pops along and they for some reason tripled grind.. frankly i found it really boring.. boring enough that I left for awhile.. I came back only because of winterfest.. and a promise of a bit more friendly grind. I will admit these weapons are about 30% or so less grindy to get.. but they are still pretty grindy overall.

I know several people who left.. because of this.. I dont like to see people leaving over adding boring aspects into the game.. like is this fun for anyone really? was relics fun to get for people?

I play for fun.. not some obtuse achievement award for digital items.. they dont matter to me that much.. I find it funny that people are so up in arms about new weapons that they are still posting about them on adjustment threads..
  • xxxhansolxxxxxxhansolxxx Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    @silverkelt

It takes me about half an hour to do RD each day on my main, and I'll have my set completed this week ...

I started it on my healer after the change ... Takes me around 45 min, and I expect to restore my weapons as soon as I get all my focus ...

I didnt buy writings, nor portal Stones. If it takes you that long, maybe the way you choose to do it is not that effective ...