test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Owlbear cub good still?

zeplin055zeplin055 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
Is the owl bear still usefull for protect pally? I am thinking if dropping as much of my crit as possible and trying this.

Comments

• Options
    trzebiat#2067 trzebiat Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    The point of using it for DPS and the whole low crit build idea was the fact that it was proccing from each tick of Burning Light - 9 ticks of fully charged BL and 9 hits for 50% of power. Not anymore since it procs now only from the initial hit so you'll be better off with crit build.
  • Options
    rubytruerubytrue Member Posts: 582 Arc User

The point of using it for DPS and the whole low crit build idea was the fact that it was proccing from each tick of Burning Light - 9 ticks of fully charged BL and 9 hits for 50% of power. Not anymore since it procs now only from the initial hit so you'll be better off with crit build.

I actually use it for my Stealadin build; it essentially doubles my lifesteal chance for my encounters which procs other damage.
  • Options
    So it will double templars wrath damage which means more temp hp.
  • Options
    oggycz#5356 oggycz Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    zeplin055 said:

I think it is not works this way. Dmg from owlbear cub is separate from templar w. dmg, so it is not generate temp. hp.
    Svatá Prdelka
    game - Human/real life - ???
    OP 18k+ Devotion/Justice - Light
  • Options
    zeplin055 said:

Owlbear cub doesn't double damage; if an encounter fails to crit, it provides a second hit that is equal to 50% of your power. So, depending on your power and the amount your encounter hits for, it technically can provide a second hit that is more than your initial encounter power.

Regarding how it affects TW, oggycz is correct; the damage from the Owlbear Cub hit is separate from the TW hit so it doesn't increase your temp HP. Interestingly, however, it will proc actions that are activated by attacks (like lifesteal).
  • Options
    Ugg then I will just buy out the stuff for the relic weapons then.
  • Options
    thrilk#9892 thrilk Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    I got one relatively cheap and use it since my crit is only 40%. Any extra damage is welcome. As I get my crit up I will probably drop it.

Definitely not OP like it used to be.
  • Options
    zeplin055 said:

I personally think Owlbear is fantastic. Owlbear + Magistrate's Patience = Extra Damage no matter if your encounters crit or not. No crit procs Owlbear, +Crit procs Magistrate's Patience. Win/win.
  • Options
    rubytrue said:

zeplin055 said:

I personally think Owlbear is fantastic. Owlbear + Magistrate's Patience = Extra Damage no matter if your encounters crit or not. No crit procs Owlbear, +Crit procs Magistrate's Patience. Win/win.
    Good for you. My Owlbear did only about 2% dmg of my devo pally in dungeons.
    Svatá Prdelka
  • Options
    waywardwizard#4349 waywardwizard Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    If you want to do good dps as a Paladin build for crit, slot CoP and get a vorpal/lightning. We dont need crappy companions to boost our damage.
  • Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    Very true and as it doesn't boost HP it's taking the slot of something that could.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options

rubytrue said:

zeplin055 said:

In dungeons, that wouldn't surprise me since you are probably generating a lot of your damage from Vow/Bond +BG (+HW?) off your teammates. I may be mistaken on how you generate the vast majority of your damage, however.

Solo, however, I would suspect that the Owlbear damage percentage goes up significantly.
  • Options
    rubytrue said:

rubytrue said:

zeplin055 said:

In dungeons, that wouldn't surprise me since you are probably generating a lot of your damage from Vow/Bond +BG (+HW?) off your teammates. I may be mistaken on how you generate the vast majority of your damage, however.

Solo, however, I would suspect that the Owlbear damage percentage goes up significantly.
    When solo there are definitely more chances to proc Owlbear Cub since you use even 3 damaging encounters instead of 1 or none at all (Bane/Bond/Vow). But after changes to proc once from initial hit instead of every tick from BL I really don't see any potential in it. Going for crit and using companion that increases damage or HP like Archons, Energon, would be IMO better. It would also increase the damage from DJ that Owlbear Cub doesn't affect.
  • Options

rubytrue said:

rubytrue said:

zeplin055 said:

When solo there are definitely more chances to proc Owlbear Cub since you use even 3 damaging encounters instead of 1 or none at all (Bane/Bond/Vow). But after changes to proc once from initial hit instead of every tick from BL I really don't see any potential in it. Going for crit and using companion that increases damage or HP like Archons, Energon, would be IMO better. It would also increase the damage from DJ that Owlbear Cub doesn't affect.
    Owlbear probably isn't worth it for a lot of builds, but it works really well for my particular build. I run a high lifesteal build so with a low crit probability, Owlbear essentially doubles my chance for lifesteal--which in turn dramatically increases my chance to proc Burning Guidance (and Healing Warmth in the near future). So the direct damage from the Owlbear in my build isn't that great, the indirect damage due to the increased proc rate of lifesteal dramatically boosts my damage. Granted, I am running a very niche build so most builds won't see the same return on the Owlbear that I do.

I also run Young Yeti, Energon, Repentant Dragon Cultist, and something else that periodically procs poison. I plan on upgrading a couple (Maybe just one) of my companions to archons.
  • Options
    rubytrue said:

rubytrue said:

rubytrue said:

zeplin055 said:

Owlbear probably isn't worth it for a lot of builds, but it works really well for my particular build. I run a high lifesteal build so with a low crit probability, Owlbear essentially doubles my chance for lifesteal--which in turn dramatically increases my chance to proc Burning Guidance (and Healing Warmth in the near future). So the direct damage from the Owlbear in my build isn't that great, the indirect damage due to the increased proc rate of lifesteal dramatically boosts my damage. Granted, I am running a very niche build so most builds won't see the same return on the Owlbear that I do.

I also run Young Yeti, Energon, Repentant Dragon Cultist, and something else that periodically procs poison. I plan on upgrading a couple (Maybe just one) of my companions to archons.
    But Owlbear cub works only with encounters, so how it can double chance for lifesteal?
    Svatá Prdelka
  • Options

rubytrue said:

rubytrue said:

rubytrue said:

zeplin055 said:

But Owlbear cub works only with encounters, so how it can double chance for lifesteal?
    This is something I am wondering too. Lifesteal has a chance to proc from every source of damage, right? Even those small hits from weapon enchantment (Plague Fire, Lightning) or Purifying Fire? Owlbear Cub only gives 1 additional hit with encounter use. On Dev Lifesteal seems unnecesary to proc BG/HW if you're using Vow - it procs all the time with Bond/Vow. I run Prot with Prism + BG/HW and recently after increasing my Lifesteal to 5k I'm seeing a lot of procs of BG/HW on trash, not only from Beacon of Hope like before with lower Lifesteal.
  • Options

rubytrue said:

rubytrue said:

rubytrue said:

zeplin055 said:

The vast majority of my attacks are encounters; Q,E,R and pretty much everything is dead; if needed, I drop a DJ, maybe a couple of whacks of at-wills. Owlbear doesn't hit just once; it hits for each enemy that was hit for the encounter; it just doesn't multiproc for DoTs. Take BL, for example, Owlbear used to proc for each tic of damage on each enemy; now it only tics once for each enemy. So yeah, technically, it doesn't exactly double my chance to lifesteal, but if my encounters fail to crit, I have a chance to lifesteal twice on each attack-once for the initial attack, and once for the owlbear attack. That chance to lifesteal occurs for each enemy attacked. Hope that makes sense and clears up what I was alluding to in my earlier post.
  • Options

rubytrue said:

rubytrue said:

rubytrue said:

zeplin055 said:

This is something I am wondering too. Lifesteal has a chance to proc from every source of damage, right? Even those small hits from weapon enchantment (Plague Fire, Lightning) or Purifying Fire? Owlbear Cub only gives 1 additional hit with encounter use. On Dev Lifesteal seems unnecesary to proc BG/HW if you're using Vow - it procs all the time with Bond/Vow. I run Prot with Prism + BG/HW and recently after increasing my Lifesteal to 5k I'm seeing a lot of procs of BG/HW on trash, not only from Beacon of Hope like before with lower Lifesteal.
    Solo, I don't run with Vow; no need with high lifesteal giving me another Encounter I can use; in group play, high lifesteal means that I can cast vow on another group of mobs while I am engaged in a separate group. And you're right about those small hits proccing lifesteal; it is one of the reasons why I am thinking about dropping Aura Gifts and pick up Purifying Fire (my damage from Owlbear would probably drop significantly since I would be using at-wills more). It seems like my Blackthorn is doing an inordinate amount of damage even though it only hits for 100 because it is also proccing lifesteal which in turn procs BG. I get hit, Blackthorn procs for 100 damage, I lifesteal for 100 which in turn heals allies for 15 which in turn causes each of them to damage up to 5 enemies for 2000 damage due to Bond and/or prism. Say you have 4 allies each with 3 enemies within range of them and you turn that initial 100 damage from Blackthorn into 24,000 damage (theoretically) Four allies each hitting 3 enemies for 2000 damage each. Given that I have a 40% lifesteal chance, that, on average in that scenario, would result in 9,600 damage each time Blackthorn procced (24K * .4 = 9600).

Interestingly, the past two modules have had a lot of NPC involvement (that tends to either have or take damage) with the encounters, so it is possible to reliably proc BG even if you aren't on a team.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    rubytrue said:

rubytrue said:

rubytrue said:

rubytrue said:

zeplin055 said:

Solo, I don't run with Vow; no need with high lifesteal giving me another Encounter I can use; in group play, high lifesteal means that I can cast vow on another group of mobs while I am engaged in a separate group. And you're right about those small hits proccing lifesteal; it is one of the reasons why I am thinking about dropping Aura Gifts and pick up Purifying Fire (my damage from Owlbear would probably drop significantly since I would be using at-wills more). It seems like my Blackthorn is doing an inordinate amount of damage even though it only hits for 100 because it is also proccing lifesteal which in turn procs BG. I get hit, Blackthorn procs for 100 damage, I lifesteal for 100 which in turn heals allies for 15 which in turn causes each of them to damage up to 5 enemies for 2000 damage due to Bond and/or prism. Say you have 4 allies each with 3 enemies within range of them and you turn that initial 100 damage from Blackthorn into 24,000 damage (theoretically) Four allies each hitting 3 enemies for 2000 damage each. Given that I have a 40% lifesteal chance, that, on average in that scenario, would result in 9,600 damage each time Blackthorn procced (24K * .4 = 9600).

Interestingly, the past two modules have had a lot of NPC involvement (that tends to either have or take damage) with the encounters, so it is possible to reliably proc BG even if you aren't on a team.
    Rubytrue, what encounters do you use in dungeons? Mine are bond/vow/bane-ra-bl (depends on situation). Do you have advanced combat tracker? How many BG ticks do you have in dungeons?

I have idea. Would you be so kind and do some dungeons with me? I have combat tracker and would like to know how often your BG ticks, just for comparsion. What is name of your char in game? Oh, important question, are you PC player?
    Svatá Prdelka
  • Options

rubytrue said:

rubytrue said:

rubytrue said:

rubytrue said:

zeplin055 said:

Rubytrue, what encounters do you use in dungeons? Mine are bond/vow/bane-ra-bl (depends on situation). Do you have advanced combat tracker? How many BG ticks do you have in dungeons?

I have idea. Would you be so kind and do some dungeons with me? I have combat tracker and would like to know how often your BG ticks, just for comparsion. What is name of your char in game? Oh, important question, are you PC player?
    I'd love to do a dungeon with you some time. I'd like to know the data myself; I may be totally mistaken. It could be a real eye opener for me. My character's name is Sable Shadowstorm@rubytrue

As a caveat; I do run more typical DevOP powers in dungeons so my Owlbear won't proc nearly as much as when solo. In a group, I typically run Vow, Bond, and then another Encounter depending on the makeup of the party, but I like a quick recharging encounter.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    rubytrue said:

rubytrue said:

rubytrue said:

rubytrue said:

rubytrue said:

zeplin055 said:

I'd love to do a dungeon with you some time. I'd like to know the data myself; I may be totally mistaken. It could be a real eye opener for me. My character's name is Sable Shadowstorm@rubytrue

As a caveat; I do run more typical DevOP powers in dungeons so my Owlbear won't proc nearly as much as when solo. In a group, I typically run Vow, Bond, and then another Encounter depending on the makeup of the party, but I like a quick recharging encounter.
    Ok, nice. I will try catch you in game ASAP. I am from Czech Republic btw, so I have GMT+1 time zone. I am defense oriented. I have 90%+ DR in combat, but 0% lifesteal. For lifesteal I would have probably sacrifice DR.
    Svatá Prdelka
  • Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User

rubytrue said:

rubytrue said:

rubytrue said:

rubytrue said:

rubytrue said:

zeplin055 said:

Ok, nice. I will try catch you in game ASAP. I am from Czech Republic btw, so I have GMT+1 time zone. I am defense oriented. I have 90%+ DR in combat, but 0% lifesteal. For lifesteal I would have probably sacrifice DR.
    well if you aim at 95% DR then minus DR increasing powers such as the Divine Call mechanic you'll know where you want to sit. After that you can stack points in lifesteal. Companions are a good place for this as bonding procs will multiply the value.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    armadeonx said:

rubytrue said:

rubytrue said:

rubytrue said:

rubytrue said:

rubytrue said:

zeplin055 said:

well if you aim at 95% DR then minus DR increasing powers such as the Divine Call mechanic you'll know where you want to sit. After that you can stack points in lifesteal. Companions are a good place for this as bonding procs will multiply the value.
    Yep, I have about 95% DR in combat now, and only DR reserve is in Stronghold (we have 4000 def) and in few boons (if I switch power for defense). I am devo pally, so I do not have 10%DR from mechanic.
    Svatá Prdelka
  • Options
    null
    I am Central time so I am not sure how that translates to gmt+1. Weekends would prolly be best given the time difference.
  • Options
    Just checked a converter; looks like after Saturday I will be 6 hours behind you.
  • Options
    rubytrue said:

Just checked a converter; looks like after Saturday I will be 6 hours behind you.

Ok, thx for info. Are you from US?
    Svatá Prdelka
  • Options
    null
    Yep. Right in the middle. Kansas.
  • Options
    rubytrue said:

null

Yep. Right in the middle. Kansas.

Oh, I see. :) My daughter lives in NY. I will try catch you probably at Saturday.
    Svatá Prdelka