test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

M11 Dev Q&A

Comments

• mightyerikssonmightyeriksson Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    I assume this has been touched on earlier, but I would like to hear a little bit about what's next for Masterwork professions.
    They have been really, really neglected, and are often inferior to a Dragonflight/Dusk combo stat-wise...

I would love to see either an upgrade to existing Armor recipes, and hopefully with an added Set bonus.

An easy way is to just copy the Dusk set-bonus, bump it up 50% or so, and maybe with 4/4 pieces, added a % damage to enemies or lower damage taken depending on type of armor.
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    edited March 2017

Recovery and Regeneration as stat options? :(

Since when is Regeneration a useful stat, for any class?

It used to be useful, before April 7, 2015, when you could regen during combat -- you know, the only time when you actually need it.

We tried to warn them. For three months, starting in January, we warned them that it was a colossal mistake. Most of the game is still about soloing, and we told them that it would make classes that couldn't self-heal worthless.

Someone decided not to listen, and starting on April 7, 2015, regeneration was made useless. The claim that not needing as many healing potions out of combat would actually be useful, was laughable to the point of being insulting. I'll stop the invective there, however -- that's enough to illustrate to people who weren't around then what had happened to the stat.

To get back on-topic, I would really, really, REALLY like some insight into the decisions that go into power selection for new artifact weapons, especially in light of the fact that we cannot self-heal during combat. (oh, I forgot, the cooldown on healing potions was nicely increased from 12 seconds to 18 seconds on that particular aforementioned date, for those not around then). I'd like to see this insight because, in light of the current situation re: Regeneration, I plan to never give up the Drowned weapon set without a suitable replacement.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • zach#3177 zach Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    I voted for systems.

My question would be is it possible to have a more balanced difficulty (power curve?) from level 1 to level cap.

For instance I've tried out all the class (took 3 to level 70) and basically your able to face roll everything unit you hit T2 dungeons and level 73 zones.
  • korishdudekorishdude Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    PLEASE take the time and try to improve the game's optimization. Nothing kills the great setting and gameplay of a game which cannot run well on a top-of-the-line PC. I love the game, but have had frustration over the fact that a 1k build cannot run this game consistently at 60+
  • waryurwaryur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 167 Arc User
    Foundry.

What are the barriers for foundry created quests merging with live game content? Such as foundry created pvp maps, or quests that expand/continue on existing game story/lore or dungeon designs, etc. becoming standard content?
    Would you consider a focus group to develop solutions? For Foundry and PvP? Not a gripe session, but an actual, project management focus group to identify root causes, brainstorm solutions, test and implement solutions? Do an ROI (return on investment) analysis for what it would take to do that process versus the financial gains you could reap from the solutions being successful.
    How many staff do and/or would it take to maintain the foundry server and fix bugs? Or to correct typos, clean up asset descriptions?
    How/did any QA exist on your end for quests? As in, an audit system to review quests that were reported for content? Do you ever delete quests?
    Rules for foundry quests - what is an exploit quest in your terms? Ones that are clearly to farm XP, votes/runs for achievements? EULA issues?
    Any plans to rework the tab/rating system, for example those quests that are a minute long that squat on the top best list forever? Or to display newer content that is awesome but won't have as many stars as the ones that have been "best" for the past nearly 4 years and so get buried and lost once they move on from the for review and new tabs?
    How do you decide what assets to make accessible and when to make them accessible?
    When a new Mod comes out, the Foundry always went down for varying time periods because of republishing so many quests. Would you consider revising the system to better manage how and the order the quests get republished?

Hidden Valley Ranch - NW-DPNGENL6E D&D Adventures Part I
    House of 1000 Corpses - NW-DIEYVLCML D&D Adventures Part II
    Well of Dragons - NW-DTPJEKZCT Third Place Winner CotD Foundry Contest
    It's Just a Flesh Wound Pt. 1 - NW-DM8GHAME2 Monty Python!
    It's Just a Flesh Wound Pt. 2 - NW-DFADOS4EX Monty Python!
  • hawkblaze1954#5209 hawkblaze1954 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    New class, I have 13 characters and 2 alts that are awaiting new class (whenever it may be...)
  • tecmysttecmyst Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 45 Arc User
    Foundry.

Great stories made by gamers for gamers.
    Infinite content, that could defend himself, but it need more love!
    From the beginning, this was the main feature for people, that were in Neverwinter Nights/Baldur's Gate/Planescape Torment world, to tell epic stories as in these games or even beyond.
    But the tool is broken, forgotten in the darkest of deeps, but I still hope that one day it will shine in full glory, as it should have from the start!
    And only than Neverwinter Online will become the true master of all mmos ;-)

• argroschargrosch Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 84 Arc User
    Foundry...

RIP Foundry

• hawkeyelhawkeyel Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    Would like to discuss Skill caps and deminished returns. This was changed back in Mod 6 . Wondering what your data has to say on this topic and rather you still feel that this was a good idea.
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    hawkeyel said:

Would like to discuss Skill caps and deminished returns. This was changed back in Mod 6 . Wondering what your data has to say on this topic and rather you still feel that this was a good idea.

I think it WAS a great idea - before they released boons that give 8k in stats, and mounts that give 4k, along with another handful of mods since then that each come with thousands of more stats.

Mod 6 was a great time to give a "clean slate" and do anything with the game. rather than revert back to what worked (pre-modules) they made the opposite choice and give us stats galor.

Frankly. at this point. the game needs a clean slate. A level increase wouldnt be a BAD idea, but it would have to be executed properly (something I doubt would happen). What they SHOULD do:
    - increase the level cap to 80, and transform the module campaigns into the leveling "areas" So Sharandar would be a lvl 60-63ish area and the quests you do for the campaign (dailies- but I would make these reset every ~8 hours instead of 24) would give significant EXP and used as a leveling area. Same with all the other module areas.

So that by the time a player reaches lvl 80, they have done a considerable amount of each campaign.

Then @ lvl 80, they can REMOVE artifact equipment completely from the game. Go back to dungeon drops = BIS gear (remember the OLD CN?!)

Then, as I explained earlier, normalize PVP gear. So now EVERYONE will want to run dungeons to get the BIS gear to have the highest itemlevel to have the most stats in PVP.

You basically just fixed 90% of the problems in NW with these steps. Didnt create ANY new content, but my guess is anyone who reads this probably got a little chubby just thinking about how awesome the game would be. amirite? :)

• hudman21hudman21 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    Foundry for sure.

Fixing this alone can make you hero's. Just imagine the content that can be created by our talented fellow Neverwinterians.

Life is full of drains, I prefer to be a fountain
  • qaqua199qaqua199 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Its easy to just pop up and ask about why the devs don't show as much love to pvp as they do to the pve but they would never answer that and its just way to naive a question. what i don't get though is why neglect the thing that makes you the most income in game. Ideally one would think that's were most of their attention would go but its rarely there they give out content noone is ever gonna play. I mean how did siege 25v25 seem like a great idea realistically, i can see that being good on paper "25v25 guild based pvp objective wised game play" but come on that was totally a game since launch of that mod. I'm not one to blab about something and give no ideas on how to solve things but here is some ideas:
      intoduce some new differents types of gear that create some competitive nature in the pvp community "gear not weapons"
    1. In the time it took to make Siege master you coulda pumped out 3 maybe 4 new pvp maps
    Nothing is wrong with a Teamdeath match/Brawl type of gameplay.

Hope whe you get to my comment you read and not skip fingers crossed :smiley:
  • captamericajdcaptamericajd Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    PVP + Foundry ... = How about a PVP foundry?...Just a thought.

More importantly have PVP instancing Break down into closer Item Level Categories kind of like a Boxing/MMA/Wrestling Match? Heavyweights, Cruiserwights, Middleweights, and so on.

Finally, if you have people who like to play enemy factions, which most games do, possibly have a new open world faction based PVP area with Nashers, Neverembers, Thayans, Amn and Cult Members which give boons to those who have winning support of their cause.
  • sabre10sabre10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    Systems Design (stats, balance, etc.) .......... and how that relates to PvP!
    aDXr4Ur.png
    Civil Anarchy Officer
    Fabled Alliance
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    Foundry.
    Player created content should become a focus here, since it can keep players attracted to the game between modules, while the Devs are working on the next update.
    When the Foundry is back on it's feet again, it should also be considered as another source for daily rAD quests.
    May be even come up with something like weekly featured Foundries, that would also reward players with a nice drop at the end of the run.

Strongholds.
    As mentioned so many times before, i still hope that the Devs will think about reducing the resources needed for the first few ranks of the Stronghold structures.
    So that everyone can build a small but functional Stronghold within a few days.
    This wouldn't take much time to implement, but it would add a little bit of "housing" flair to the game...

PvP on the other hand only needs a (better?) matchmaking system based on ItemLevel, where the system counts in the IL of the gear aquired this far on that character. Anything else is up to the players.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    adding some ideas, for strongholds.

indoor guild halls.
    1. trophy room, items or flagged update from defeated dungeon bosses.
    2. meeting hall
    3. dining table room
    4. dungeon

once placed, it became perma fixtures, if not like it, use the wallboard for delete option to remove an item.
  • hudman21hudman21 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Most critters in the world will now have an increased chance to drop Enchantments and Runestones.

For those looking to utilize skill nodes for something beyond professions, we are increasing how often they drop Insignias. Insignias are used in the recently improved mount system that was part of the Neverwinter: The Maze Engine expansion. In addition to being available in skill nodes, bound, uncommon Insignias will now have a chance to drop from most critters. Both of these updates will give adventurers more options to further customize their mounts.

https://arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/9923543-neverwinter%3A-upcoming-changes-to-skill-nodes

How about addressing this...
    Fix these worthless skill nodes. Green HAMSTER insignia's are only good for gold. Nothing of any value is even in these anymore. At least make the insignia's blue!
    Life is full of drains, I prefer to be a fountain
  • lowenduslowendus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Balance bondings or Buff augments if you don't want to displease the growing horde of rank 12 bonding yelding content 1 shotters.

This 1 way no brainer bonding power creep has gone too far for too many months.
    Get bondings, stack power, mow through content. That's what the game has gotten down to.
    There is no build variety just because of this.

Bondings are the sole reason for the ridiculous power creep from which NW is ailing since you people "fixed" the bondings.

EDIT: And something else, FIX THE SADER BUG PLEASE!!! (sorry for caps)
    I have a strong pc can run the game maxed and my screen turns red or blinding white, I see no textures, only untextured squares. Happens in ESOT, ETOS and PE mostly
    hey, dont touch my Bond gem, my highest is rank 8. i only had 4-5 maxed enchants and runes so far.

that took me long time to refine those by 2 years and i still have several others that need tons of coal wards, what i see, high cost paywall. folks spend lot of money and you ask for nerf? there will be mass exodus and the devs dont want to lose them.
    players are sick of "bait and switch" for so long, it is the very last straw that no one wants, this would kill player loyality and trust.

just my opinion, each companion should have one type of runes, not all 3 of same runes.
  • peci#1468 peci Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    foundry
    To me, bondings are a symptom of a larger problem.

Mod 6 included a lot of changes to the game's combat dynamics, and one them appears to be a decision to use HP as the means to deal with power creep. When you're level 70, the majority of your HP comes from your gear, not your level. From the standpoint of HP, level 70 players are on a completely different tier than level 60 players. Level 70 gear roughly triples the amount of HP one would normally have were it not artificially boosted.

Consequently, the HP and damage of enemies were adjusted upward as well, and damage disproportionately so. This had the effect of unbalancing the dynamics of what makes a player "effective".

Prior to mod 6, the biggest issue with boss fights was add management. You needed a fair amount of DPS, but you also needed robust CC (crowd control) to deal with adds. There were a lot of complaints, but the issue we have today is actually worse. Now, when dealing with bosses whose HP is in the tens of millions, every fight has become a DPS race. Players need the DPS to bring the boss down in something less than an hour, and that same DPS means that there is no point to add management or even introducing adds at all: they would be melted instantly. An entire skill has been rendered redundant.

Another negative consequence was further compounded by the multiple changes to survivability. Lifesteal was changed from a benefit that gradually improved with your stat to an all-or-nothing game of chance. The role of regeneration was removed from combat altogether, and healing potions were made effectively useless in combat. I'll attempt to explain.

Lifesteal is now something you can no longer manage. You can attempt to improve your chances of it saving you, but its random characteristic makes it difficult to justify relying upon it. Further, because enemies post-Mod 6 do so much damage, there isn't much point of a lifesteal stat if the first hit can take 70-100% of your HP. The probability of the second hit killing you is greater than the probability of lifesteal triggering on it.

As mentioned above, the role of regeneration was removed entirely from combat. Well, almost entirely. It allegedly increases your incoming healing, but once again this assumes that the first hit hasn't already killed you. Further compounding the problem is that non-bosses do so much damage: it's not realistic to expect a healer to be able to target a hurt player and fire a heal off before a second hit comes from one of the many enemies in a fight. As with lifesteal, it's no longer a stat that a player can manage. Finally, if you're out soloing -- which is still the majority of the time in NWO -- it is of no benefit whatsoever during combat unless you have a healer companion summoned. However, since enemies do so much damage, the lifespan of any companion is measured in seconds -- especially "leader" companions.

The vastly increased damage from enemies coupled with the 12- to 18-second change in potion cooldown has made drinking them pointless -- unless you conveniently use a stone of health. If you have to drink a healing potion, chances are that multiple hits will land sometime in the next 18 seconds to take you down before you can drink another.

The end result? Everyone has to over-rely on DPS output to be "effective" in the game. Every fight is now a race devoid of strategy: in the case of non-boss fights, melt enemies before taking too many hits. In the case of boss fights, melt the boss so it doesn't take an hour to complete. We're all forced to build for DPS. No longer can players opt to strategize their builds with increased CC, because DPS suffers far too much and is far more "important" in today's climate. Similarly, players can no longer opt to use lifesteal to get by, because if you need lifesteal then more likely than not, with today's HP and damage values, you'll be down before the enemies are. No longer can a player strategically use regeneration to get by because it's now a non-combat stat.

Back to bondings. Their over-reliance -- and on Loyal gear, and on Anointed Army -- are symptoms of the same problem: the need for everyone to pump out absurd amounts of damage while at the same time dealing with absurd amounts of incoming damage. No strategy, just a pure DPS race.

Using HP as the means to deal with power creep was a mistake. Soon after Mod 6 launched, I pointed out to guildies that the devs had unknowingly painted themselves into a corner: with everyone now relying on artificially-inflated HP, how does one undo the stat imbalance? I don't think the Mod 6 crew fully understood the dynamics of how all of the stats interacted that made players "effective": by placing so much emphasis on just one stat, that balance has been disrupted.
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    ayroux said:

hawkeyel said:

I think it WAS a great idea - before they released boons that give 8k in stats, and mounts that give 4k, along with another handful of mods since then that each come with thousands of more stats.

Mod 6 was a great time to give a "clean slate" and do anything with the game. rather than revert back to what worked (pre-modules) they made the opposite choice and give us stats galor.

Frankly. at this point. the game needs a clean slate. A level increase wouldnt be a BAD idea, but it would have to be executed properly (something I doubt would happen). What they SHOULD do:
    - increase the level cap to 80, and transform the module campaigns into the leveling "areas" So Sharandar would be a lvl 60-63ish area and the quests you do for the campaign (dailies- but I would make these reset every ~8 hours instead of 24) would give significant EXP and used as a leveling area. Same with all the other module areas.

So that by the time a player reaches lvl 80, they have done a considerable amount of each campaign.

Then @ lvl 80, they can REMOVE artifact equipment completely from the game. Go back to dungeon drops = BIS gear (remember the OLD CN?!)

Then, as I explained earlier, normalize PVP gear. So now EVERYONE will want to run dungeons to get the BIS gear to have the highest itemlevel to have the most stats in PVP.

You basically just fixed 90% of the problems in NW with these steps. Didnt create ANY new content, but my guess is anyone who reads this probably got a little chubby just thinking about how awesome the game would be. amirite? :)

Fully agree with you. I stated pretty much the same here.

And fully agree with @hustin1 here above. I'm really looking forward to the the next State of the Game to decide whether to stay or leave.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • sh00termcl0vinsh00termcl0vin Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    @nicotris

Just some small feedback regarding the poll structure, it looks like it is designed for someone that has knowledge of game design prior to voting. The average player has no idea what "system design" or "engineering" means. Maybe in the future compress some of these categories or provide a little explanation under each category.

That being said "pvp" or "systems design" would get my primary vote.
    To me, bondings are a symptom of a larger problem.

Mod 6 included a lot of changes to the game's combat dynamics, and one them appears to be a decision to use HP as the means to deal with power creep. When you're level 70, the majority of your HP comes from your gear, not your level. From the standpoint of HP, level 70 players are on a completely different tier than level 60 players. Level 70 gear roughly triples the amount of HP one would normally have were it not artificially boosted.

Consequently, the HP and damage of enemies were adjusted upward as well, and damage disproportionately so. This had the effect of unbalancing the dynamics of what makes a player "effective".

Prior to mod 6, the biggest issue with boss fights was add management. You needed a fair amount of DPS, but you also needed robust CC (crowd control) to deal with adds. There were a lot of complaints, but the issue we have today is actually worse. Now, when dealing with bosses whose HP is in the tens of millions, every fight has become a DPS race. Players need the DPS to bring the boss down in something less than an hour, and that same DPS means that there is no point to add management or even introducing adds at all: they would be melted instantly. An entire skill has been rendered redundant.

Another negative consequence was further compounded by the multiple changes to survivability. Lifesteal was changed from a benefit that gradually improved with your stat to an all-or-nothing game of chance. The role of regeneration was removed from combat altogether, and healing potions were made effectively useless in combat. I'll attempt to explain.

Lifesteal is now something you can no longer manage. You can attempt to improve your chances of it saving you, but its random characteristic makes it difficult to justify relying upon it. Further, because enemies post-Mod 6 do so much damage, there isn't much point of a lifesteal stat if the first hit can take 70-100% of your HP. The probability of the second hit killing you is greater than the probability of lifesteal triggering on it.

As mentioned above, the role of regeneration was removed entirely from combat. Well, almost entirely. It allegedly increases your incoming healing, but once again this assumes that the first hit hasn't already killed you. Further compounding the problem is that non-bosses do so much damage: it's not realistic to expect a healer to be able to target a hurt player and fire a heal off before a second hit comes from one of the many enemies in a fight. As with lifesteal, it's no longer a stat that a player can manage. Finally, if you're out soloing -- which is still the majority of the time in NWO -- it is of no benefit whatsoever during combat unless you have a healer companion summoned. However, since enemies do so much damage, the lifespan of any companion is measured in seconds -- especially "leader" companions: the ones who heal.

The vastly increased damage from enemies coupled with the 12- to 18-second change in potion cooldown has made drinking them pointless -- unless you conveniently use a stone of health. If you have to drink a healing potion, chances are that multiple hits will land sometime in the next 18 seconds to take you down before you can drink another.

The end result? Everyone has to over-rely on DPS output to be "effective" in the game. Every fight is now a race devoid of strategy: in the case of non-boss fights, melt enemies before taking too many hits. In the case of boss fights, melt the boss so it doesn't take an hour to complete. We're all forced to build for DPS. No longer can players opt to strategize their builds with increased CC, because DPS suffers far too much and is far more "important" in today's climate. Similarly, players can no longer opt to use lifesteal to get by, because if you need lifesteal then more likely than not, with today's HP and damage values, you'll be down before the enemies are. No longer can a player strategically use regeneration to get by because it's now a non-combat stat.

Back to bondings. Their over-reliance -- and on Loyal gear, and on Anointed Army -- are symptoms of the same problem: the need for everyone to pump out absurd amounts of damage while at the same time dealing with absurd amounts of incoming damage. No strategy, just a pure DPS race.

Using HP as the means to deal with power creep was a mistake. Soon after Mod 6 launched, I pointed out to guildies that the devs had unknowingly painted themselves into a corner: with everyone now relying on artificially-inflated HP, how does one undo the stat imbalance? I don't think the Mod 6 crew fully understood the dynamics of how all of the stats interacted that made players "effective": by placing so much emphasis on just one stat, that balance has been disrupted.
  • cilginordekcilginordek Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    Foundry please.
    i blame those pvp folks abusing by removing regeneration for Pve environment, it make other healers work overtime and overclocked trying to heal, sometimes they are out of range or unexpected crit hit by mobs while spells are on cooldowns, and potions are still useless.
    trolls heal while in combat, wright commanders suck health when you are stuck in corner or objects that you cant jump away as you are pinned and stun effects preventing to use knockbacks.

devs already knew they killed the game by nerfing and should make any regeneration not working if you are in PVP zones, and they do easy way out and not doing right job to make pvp zone to make specific skills and buffs become unavailable. they didnt realized some skills in trait trees bacame useless and waste of points spent.

they need to add complete new skill tree for pvp, almost like old guild wars' pve and pvp format, love those "capture sigil" by finding rare skills from elite mob/ringleaders, then the players can use new pvp skills in designed pvp zones.
    since those players already had rank 12 gems, so, i wish devs dont bother those but make new skills discovery more fun while pve skills dont suffer by nerfs.
  • ponneylordponneylord Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    Coalescent Wards?
This discussion has been closed.