test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Just made Level 70 +2 (?) Still getting my butt whooped hard.

Anyone else getting their butt whooped hard in Bryn Shander? I'm playing a Dwarf Hunter/Ranger, and I've got some pretty good gear, but I'm still dying a lot. Any hints, or help would be appreciated.

Best Answer

• zerappuszerappus Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    Answer ✓

Anyone else getting their butt whooped hard in Bryn Shander? I'm playing a Dwarf Hunter/Ranger, and I've got some pretty good gear, but I'm still dying a lot. Any hints, or help would be appreciated.

I'm not Pathfinder/Combat, (but Archer Stormwarden), so I can't give tips on that build, however your problem is expected for a low gear score character in an endgame zone like Bryn Shander. And you're doing it without a healer companion (ouch).

I have two suggestions:
    1) Buy an Angel of Protection healer companion from the Auction House. It's currently worth 90-100k on PC. But i'm not sure if it's already available on Xbox given it's a 360-day game reward on PC.

It's an essential companion for the 'squishy' dps classes like the Ranger. It gives you shield that mitigates half of the damage you take (when you're taking a pumelling). If the Angel of Protection is not available, try the Battlefield Medic companion, Lillend or a purple Apprentice Healer. All of these companions are purple healers (lvl 35), like the Angel but without the shield. In short, a healer class must always be summoned for a very fragile DPS class in Bryn Shander.

If your current lvl 25 healer is not healing well, try to stack POWER stats in its gear. In the enchantment slots and gear slots, make sure there's Power stats in it. So, on the offensive slots, Power stats should be there. On the defensive slots, power can't be equipped.

2) I also suggest getting your Boons up from many of the easier campaign: Dread Ring, Sharandar. Then the Underdark/Maze Engine, then Ice Wind Dale/Well of Dragons.

3) Last, I suggest using the 'cheesy' Frost Enchantment (not Frostburn, that's for armor) on your Weapon slot. What it does is it disables/silences your enemies for a couple of seconds giving you a chance to kill them before they injure. Make sure to cast an AOE (area of effect) on the mobs so they all get silenced (they can't attack). It's currently 150-180k on PC (no idea for Xbox) but the price should go down because it will start dropping on the next Lockbox for Mod 10.5. What's even great about the Frost enchantment is that it procs off At-will. You don't need an encounter to silence your enemies. You just need AOE at-will.

Hopefully, those help.

Answers

• lividstion#0941 lividstion Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    I have an HR too. Pathfinder trapper, Drow. Depends on your build? Are you specd right on your stats? What are you running on defense. I'm running dark enchants for life steal and running my iniate healer companion for extra heals. Gear score 3.1k Hit me up in game for more tips. Gamer tag trubotz add me as an Xbox friend.
  • formergruntformergrunt Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    I've only got 2,143 for gear level, Pathfinder combat (mostly). I've got a L25 Skeleton/Striker who I think has been helping me more than the L25 Human/Healer(Leader). I also have a L25 Yeti, and L25 Combat Slime as well as a L25 Illusionist/Controller for companions. Gamer tag is FormrGrunt. Oh and as for the question of Specs... Hell I don't know! lol
  • formergruntformergrunt Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Oh my character name is Duan, and I'm in the TheDarkside Guild.
  • hawkblaze1954#5209 hawkblaze1954 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    Dusk or Drowcraft armour are the easiest to get with Trade bars or buy Drowcraft with demonic ichor. Ideally in defense slots lifesteal as this helps with healing or defense/deflect.
    For soloing use the yeti it is an awesome tank and holds threat (too much threat in group content as it disrupts GF and OP's).
    If you can buy the Epic one for 500-550K on the AH.
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    Honestly, at 2.1k you shouldn't be in Bryn Shandar; it's too hard for your current stats unless you're running a high survivability class such as GWF, GF or OP.

You should put your time in to completing campaign boons for Tyranny, Dread Ring, Sharandar, Underdark & Maze. At the same time you should focus on working out your gear priorities. When you look at your stats you'll see you can scroll down - go down to the Defensive section; your Damage Resistance should be higher than -15% and your Lifesteal should be over 10%. In the Offence section your Resistance Ignored should be over 50% (aim for 60%).

DR is mostly increased by your Defence stat at a ratio of around 400 points defence to 1% DR.
    RI is mostly increased by your Armor Penetration stat at a ratio of around 100 points to 1% RI.

HR's are squishy until they get their stats up so a tanking companion is very useful at this stage. I'll assume you don't have a lot of AD yet so check the AH for prices on purple companions - I believe the cheapest tank is currently the Rimfire Golem. Equip with Bonding Runestones and you'll also get a boost to your own stats when in combat.

You didn't say what gear you currently have but I'd recommend for your current IL:
    2 parts Dragonflight - chest piece + 1 other will give you a significant HP boost + good stats
    2 parts Dusk - heals you when soloing + buffs you when grouped
    Drowned Weapon set - the set bonus heals you for 30 secs out of 60 whilst below max health/taking damage
    Dread weapon enchantment - I'm assuming as an HR you mostly rely on encounters? The Dread ench will boost your crit severity on encounter use so a nice dps buff.

For boons you should aim at crit/ armor pen/ lifesteal as your priorities. There are about 3 boons that heal you for about 20k during combat - choose those too.

Once you get over 2.4k you can go into IWD and WoD. If you easily survive in there you can try Bryn Shandar again.

If you're not in a guild yet I'd suggest joining one with a GH rank of 10 or above for the boons. I'd recommend CasualGamers or Windows Central - both are good guilds and GH10 with boons. They are in our alliance so I can confirm there are regular Dragonflight runs (for DF armor) and are helpful & positive.

Hope that helps
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • noisy6996noisy6996 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    How high are you enchantments, you can also get armor enforcement's in the trade market, add to your item level.
  • lionsarered#4865 lionsarered Member Posts: 14 Arc User

I've only got 2,143 for gear level, Pathfinder combat (mostly). I've got a L25 Skeleton/Striker who I think has been helping me more than the L25 Human/Healer(Leader). I also have a L25 Yeti, and L25 Combat Slime as well as a L25 Illusionist/Controller for companions. Gamer tag is FormrGrunt. Oh and as for the question of Specs... Hell I don't know! lol

Honestly I have to disagree with the above user who said you should get an Angel of Protection. You need a striker companion, and the best one in the game is the Mercenary companion acquirable through the Heirloom Pack. The Merc should have bonding runestone affixed to him (any level at this point would help you), and rings with two offensive slots each that you can equip Radiant enchants (6 Tarmalune Trade Bars from the tradebar merchant to start). The Merc procs a lot, and you want the Crit on the HR so keep the Azures to yourself and let the companion give you the power.

I agree that you should focus on boons from other campaigns, and perhaps Bryn Shandar is too tough at the moment.

My HR is 4232 gs, and my Crit Severity is 100%. I am routinely out DPS even the most stacked GWF in Tiamat or CN, and it while it took a bit to get the hunter to where he is, I can solo any of the campaign zones.

The Merc + You is like two adventurers, and you need something that can aggro some of the enemies while you attack ranged, then close combat, then back to ranged.

I can give you my build if you like, add me on XBOX. My info is below. Happy Hunting!
    <p style="color:dark green;"> SHOOT THE CRIT - HR 4234</p>
    <p style="color:dark yellow;">Chilling - DC 2779</p>
    <p style="color:crimson;">Samhain - SW 4200</p>

<b> <p style="color:orange;">Rolling Twenties GH 20</p>
  • rydensaur#7203 rydensaur Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    I just skimmed over this so if somebody mentioned it, I apologize. Bryn Shandar is part of the SKT campaign and you now have to deal with Everfrost Damage. Make sure you have Frostborn gear, potions, and/or armor kits to negate as much Everfrost Damage as possible since not affected by Defense or Deflect. I was having the same issues until I started using those items.
  • rafaeldarafaelda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Is an old post but here are some ideas that i use in my HR (archer/pathfinder):

1-) get cruel recovery, and bring your crit as high as you can! (will heal you a bit on every crit
    2-) have a good healer or tank pet and a liria bell to wake him when he fall,
    3-) buy or build a drowned weapon set, Heal quite a lot!!
    4-) buy in AH or trade bar at least one Dusk armor piece (boots are cheap on AH in PC idk in xbox...)

(if the new armor drops are aviablle in Xbox
    5-) Try to get a Spidersilk armor from Epic Temple of Spider, it heals you
    6-) if you can put you hand in Loyalist Visage Mask (from Shores of tuern) get a Pseudodragon pet, just let is active it will give you a lot more stamina do dodge, and dodge is live as HR

7- and no less important never be afraid to team up, my cw have even more hard time in this maps, my only option is to team up with GF, OP or DC (clerics are easyer to find seaching for company since theyr DPS is low is a really nice partnership for a close combat HR)

PS.: is hard to find other Dwarven HR in this game !!
    I feel almost a alien on PC... btw hammerstone hatchet and Damaran axes are good off hand skins for dwarf HR ...

Hope i've helped, Good Luck !

i forgot this, easy for everfrost resist, search in AH fro Greater Everforst resist kit, you can only use 2 (only equip in undewear) but all everfrost resit is welcome for that place
    plus frostborn gloves pack can be boght in AH too, probably better stats than you have and 2% more frost resist...
    Post edited by rafaelda on
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    this thread is old enough that he's probably well geared enough now lol.
This discussion has been closed.