test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[XBOX] The future of the GWF?

trentbail21trentbail21 Member Posts: 433 Arc User
edited September 2016 in The Militia Barracks
Hello I am Trent the Barbarian a GWF currently playing on xbox one and I wanted to start a conversation about the possible future of our favorite class the GWF! Lately there have been whispers, comments on patch notes and some other developers saying that they want to do something with our class... personally I would like to change him into more of a BARBARIAN type character instead of a 2h weapon knight type class.

What do you think they should do with it? If you ask me they need to keep going on this path and pull the GF and GWF even further apart.. here are my suggestions that they might want to consider..

1. Do you think we do enough damage in PVP?
2. Could you move the relentless battlefury feat into the instigator tree? I think it would make more sense in that tree. Also possibly add something else to the capstone like increased rate of earning unstoppable or an attack speed increase while in unstoppable to it? Please consider this one carefully because both destroyer and sentinel have multiple things in their capstone.
3. Possibly make battlefury buff teammates attack speed by 10% when relentless battlefury feats are at 5/5?
4. Possible move unfettered strikes to instigator?
5. While im on the tangent of moving skills why is powerful challenge which is a feat that gives 15% bonus damage to marked targets in the sentinel tree and not somewhere else?
6. Give us a small immunity frame or 2 like the warlocks slide?

There are probably a ton of other fixes and suggestions you all probably have which is great! Could you discuss your ideas here in a respectful manner and help? We need to help the developers help us.

You know what they say... "You get the government you deserve!" Just think about this in the same light.

-Trent the Barbarian
Find me in game if you want and send me a domination/ gaunt invite. If you are good and im not busy ill play with you. Im not an elitist ill play with almost anyone.
Post edited by trentbail21 on

Comments

• vida44vida44 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 667 Arc User
    metalldjt said:

2. Destroyer needs to be our DPS tree, while being squishy with an active DPS

Define "squishy" please.
  • trentbail21trentbail21 Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Would be nice to have instigator with battlefury and unfettered feats, and a feat for steadfast determination in it to make it better (increased rate of earning unstoppable) and the capstone added +20% at-will attack speed for 5 seconds after popping unstoppable.

Destroyer needs more dps but without battlefury and unfettered strike feats you would be extremely slow. Replace one of them with powerful challenge.

Sentinel needs to lose powerful challenge and give it to destroyer. In its place they should get a feat for more aggro or more base hp? Im not really sure what should go here.
    Post edited by trentbail21 on
    Find me in game if you want and send me a domination/ gaunt invite. If you are good and im not busy ill play with you. Im not an elitist ill play with almost anyone.
  • burndownxmas#7201 burndownxmas Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    I'd like to see our sprint modified to give damage reduction vice increased damage resistance, it'd help a bit with tanking capabilities and help us with things like piercing damage.
  • carl103carl103 Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    it'd help a bit with tanking capabilities

A tanks job is, (mostly), to stand there getting hit. If your sprinting around enough for the damage reduction to matter for tanking somthing is seriously wrong. For that matter if your tanking and your not damage resistance capped from pure defence, somthing is wrong.

But yes, a lot of work is needed, currently far too much of our ability to deal damage is tied into 2 specific skills and too much of our ability to take a hit is tied into unstoppable. Both need work. As does the general usability of the rest of our trees.
    Paingiver is not an acurratte or Useful measure of your actual sustained damage output, (i.e DPS), in various ways it lies. For a true idea use ACT. Link below:

https://github.com/nilsbrummond/Neverwinter-ACT-Plugin
  • nexusbobbynexusbobby Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    non of it - u try to break GWF to be uselesh like mode 1-2-3-4-5-6-7 ... go play som other Class . Gwf a fin at last
  • trentbail21trentbail21 Member Posts: 433 Arc User

I'd like to see our sprint modified to give damage reduction vice increased damage resistance, it'd help a bit with tanking capabilities and help us with things like piercing damage.

Best idea ever especially for pvp.... =D
  • theguiidotheguiido Member Posts: 467 Arc User
    I hope they fix the activation times and range on our powers and what not. HOW ANNOYING IS IBS MISSING LOL. It is so annoying how everything can be easily dodged and avoided by other classes, Every other class DODGE IMMUNE DODGE DODGE IMMUNE.

Sprint and everything I have no doubt will be fixed in the rework for us.

Stay valiant my brothers and make sure you smash that RB/Tab
    Proteus
    Guardian Fighter
    TLO
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1221446/the-future-of-the-gf/p1 Existing Problems Still In The Guardian Fighter

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/comment/12984912m
    Feat Changes I'd like to see in The Guardian Fighter
  • burndownxmas#7201 burndownxmas Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    They'd be crazy to nerf sm and buff IV, IV already has a better set-up going for it right now; SM is just easier to use.
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    Personally....

I think Destro is fine. They bring one thing to the table and that's lots and lots of DPS at a dangerous range.

And also, given how 75% of the game's population (and a majority of the high ilvl players) seem to be Destro GWFs, I don't know how Cryptic is going to balance this without a community uproar.

I also think that the "gain Determination from dealing damage" should apply to all paths, because let's face it: getting hit to activate your Unstoppable sucks and is unfeasable in current content. The difference would be that the Destro GWF gets their Unstoppable faster than the other two, which is befitting of the DPS path.

I do want Sentinel to be a tank class on par with the OP/GF, as well as the Instigator (which has never actually been a thing, lmao) to actually function as a half DPS/half buffer ala SS Renegade.

• mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    I agree with the OP that the class should be rename and modify a bit to represent another class in the D&D game.

Maybe rename the class to Berserker Barbarian; the current class flows more closely to a Berseker or Barbarian than a GWF, IMO that is. Modify the feats a bit improve the class tanking ability and a few other tweaks here and there and I think the class would be greatly improved.

IMO, the next three classes that should get revamped are DC, GWF, and CW.
  • raymond00713raymond00713 Member Posts: 312 Arc User
    @rjc9000 if what you're saying is true, and there are that many players that are gwfs, then from a business perspective it would make sense to "balance" the gwf. I dont play one but I don't see them as this way over the top dps that the Internet claims them to be. In the end game content (MSVA, FBI) I rarely see gwfs top boards. Mostly ran by cws, hrs and sws. Sure they run amuck in t1s and t2s clearing low hp mobs and bosses. But when the hp is humongous like in msva and the mobs and bosses move a lot, like in fbi, they don't do as well.
    Okay, I was exaggerating about the "75% of the game's population".Same goes for the "high Ilvl GWFs thing", I see quite a bit of higher itemlevel CWs/TRs/HRs/SWs/ occasional GFs/DCs/OPs.

But, for me, whenever I take a peek into those zerg channels, sure enough, there's a good bit of high Ilvl GWFs there.

In most Tier1/2 dungeons, whoever does the most damage is the one who gets to the mobs the quickest.

And for GWF DPS: it's not "over" the top, but it is pretty good. Reminds me of fighting games, really, (x) character 2 stronk, needs nerf. People seem to forget that the good GWFs do good DPS because of their skill as a player and knowledge of how their class works.

• nickjdowenickjdowe Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    rjc9000 said:

People seem to forget that the good GWFs do good DPS because of their skill as a player and knowledge of how their class works.

And the fact that we've had only one viable build and rotation for the past 6 mods. Complete with every aspect explained in precise detail thanks to Lia and Laz.

We need a complete overhaul on Instigator and Sentinel path trees. Until we have more options I wouldn't claim we as a class have skilled players, just skilled readers.
  • ragequittingdc#8599 ragequittingdc Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    im glad i've been leveling other toons, threads like these scream nerf

if anything is done to weaken destroyer sm i'll respec 110% iv sent tank build/swap vorpal for feytouched. competition for groups is already tough enough as a dps with underpowered tanks and healers zone shouting they "need" 3x12 bonding, minimum ilvl dps
    im actually the gwf carry

if anything is done to weaken destroyer sm i'll respec 110% iv sent tank build/swap vorpal for feytouched. competition for groups is already tough enough as a dps with underpowered tanks and healers zone shouting they "need" 3x12 bonding, minimum ilvl dps

Maybe the devs will do what they did with the GF: they tried to nerf the DPS side of the GF in Mod10, but instead doubled their DPS. (Well, maybe not doubled, but the DPS GF wasn't actually nerfed.)

I would rofl if they do the same to the GWFs, something silly like "Daggers, Destroyer (class feat) and Destroyer's purpose get nerfed, GWF gets 10x weapon damage to compensate".

While I'm here, I'm suprised the devs don't change Reaping Strike into a blocking atwill (blocks 50-60% of incoming damage, multiplicative with DR). As bad as it is for taking an At-will slot, it might actually be a start to buff the Sentinel (and actually give Reaping Strike a use other than "sit in the powers tab and do nothing").

They already said there are no plans to make GWF Sentinel a tank. They will probably change that path. They already nerfed Daring Shout and made our mark not stack with GF mark.

Meh, as a GF, I can't doublestack the debuff part of marking effects, even if I use Tab Mark/Enforced Threat/Threatening Rush. All marking effects in the game are like that, in that the team only gets the benefit of the "best" marking effect.

Funnily enough, Daring Shout is probably the best marking effect in the game, only "matched" by the GF's Tab mechanic (and the IBS Finisher, but that requires you to score a kill on something, which may not happen on all bosses).

Both give 20% effecitveness for the marker, 8% for the team, and don't disappear when you get hit.

The difference is that the GWF can mark multiple targets with DS (and gets DR to boot!), whereas the GF needs to mark each target individually (and only the most recently marked target gets the benefit of "Doesn't disappear when hit").

As far as I can tell, DS is only useful in a party with an OP or running solo, if the GF is marking. Don't they cancel each other? That seems to be what happens now. I need to tell the GFs to let me mark?lol

Well, sort of.

The marks technically exist together, but you only get the effectiveness from the one with the greatest debuff.

So if two GWFs use Daring Shout (for some reason), both GWFs get the 20% debuff from their own Daring Shout, but the team only gets the 8% mark from Daring Shout (marks are really weird like this and I don't know why the effectiveness changes depending on whether its your own mark or your teammates').

If you roll with a GF, you would only use Daring Shout if you really want that mark worth 20% effectiveness and can't live with the mark worth 8%. Or if your GF is lazy and doesn't know how to press Tab/slot in Enforced Threat (yes, I have seen this, and yes, I cry everytime I see this GF).

• ragequittingdc#8599 ragequittingdc Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    still can't figure out quoting on here, getting null

@rjc9000 @defiantone99

I've actually grouped with some super powered gf's and I was also wondering how their dps took a hit. idk if anybody plays on ps4 here, but there's a sm gf named MARS I couldn't top in paingiver no matter what. granted, he was about 300 ilvl higher than me with better artifacts our last pug in lostmauths, he was #1 over everyone. I wouldn't exactly be opposed to a nerf if it ment actually being better, gl with that wishful thinking though lol.

reaping strike is straight garbage in the context of how pve is handled and would be a great place to start, especially since fresh artifact weapons like to start off with that cube power, big troll job done there. honestly I'd be swapping spec because for one, I'm sure alot of people on here have every bis gear, enchant, mount/mount insigs, companions etc., but I don't and I can only take so much of a hit in my spec before I start looking like a support spec dps, except with weak(bf) or easily replaced(ds) buffs. Imagine running any dungeon using only ds, bf and hd.

for two, it would be to become competitive in pvp again, part of the reason for the feytouched. my prestige set has been collecting dust and I sort of wanted to try iv anyway since I realized how much they own me in pvp. I do well enough against most classes but I'd really be able to hold nodes with that switch and go head to head with other iv.
    Post edited by ragequittingdc#8599 on
    im actually the gwf carry
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    rjc9000 said:

Maybe the devs will do what they did with the GF: they tried to nerf the DPS side of the GF in Mod10, but instead doubled their DPS. (Well, maybe not doubled, but the DPS GF wasn't actually nerfed.)

I would rofl if they do the same to the GWFs, something silly like "Daggers, Destroyer (class feat) and Destroyer's purpose get nerfed, GWF gets 10x weapon damage to compensate".

While I'm here, I'm suprised the devs don't change Reaping Strike into a blocking atwill (blocks 50-60% of incoming damage, multiplicative with DR). As bad as it is for taking an At-will slot, it might actually be a start to buff the Sentinel (and actually give Reaping Strike a use other than "sit in the powers tab and do nothing").
    GF damage got nerfed? No, they fixed ITF so that it would be a flat % increase to damage vs. being based on a player DR. ITF was probably designed around T1 and T2 dungeons prior to getting guild halls which inflated our number and companions with bonding which further inflated the DR that a GF could have, which made ITF way to strong. Even in its current state it is a great group buff.

The other things they did with the GF was fixing encounter, at will and feats that were not working as intended, very common with a revamp. IMO, the current state of the GF is way better than what it was, from my PoV GF have more options.

GWF you basically have one paragon feat path to select, same with DC. Both of these classes need a full on revamp due to this.

rjc9000 said:

GF damage got nerfed? No, they fixed ITF so that it would be a flat % increase to damage vs. being based on a player DR. ITF was probably designed around T1 and T2 dungeons prior to getting guild halls which inflated our number and companions with bonding which further inflated the DR that a GF could have, which made ITF way to strong. Even in its current state it is a great group buff.

The other things they did with the GF was fixing encounter, at will and feats that were not working as intended, very common with a revamp. IMO, the current state of the GF is way better than what it was, from my PoV GF have more options.

GWF you basically have one paragon feat path to select, same with DC. Both of these classes need a full on revamp due to this.
    The devs TRIED to nerf the GF's damage, but Conqueror GFs arguably were doing the same, if not more DPS from the Mod10 changes.

I was trying to point out the comparison that maybe the devs would try to "balance" the GWF, only to make them much much better in the process.

• muckingfuppetmuckingfuppet Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    lol with the changes to gfs in mod 10.5 even they can out dps a bis gwf by a long way and they are ment to be tanks, in most msva if you have a bis hr, sw,gf,cw,tr the gwf will be at the bottom of the damage table and iv ran over just over 300 msva and in a 4326k gwf with legendary relic weapons