Install Arc
Options

PVP: The issues, all of them.

1235»

Comments

• Options
    mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited February 2017

it is easier to buy the shards ok i will do but you will give 19 coalescents :).

I honestly do not know what you're trying to do here.

Are you ridiculing him because that only hurts your argument when your credibility is at stake and you've been known to make outrageous statements and flame others in-game and on the forums.
    Are you saying those ward are equivalent to 19 coals because that only hurts your argument if that is your valuation of the price of a ward.
    Are you making a joke because that only hurts your argument when you've decided to take an unpopular position and you decided on trolling instead of answering all the legitimate arguments made all over the forums by almost everyone.
    I will give you answers.
    Boons kill players when they attack you .
    A legendary mount prone damage buff and shield( not only for the caster that is the major problem) not only is acceptable but also used in 1vs1 battles when a match is already gg;p to prove what? but hey is part of the game this and cost 25m.
    zen market mounts and insignia. costed ad money allow:)
    I Can go further i do not like the weapon and armor enchants use in pvp. WHY someone to debuff my damage by 18% and get it on him as 18% damage buff( FEYTOUCHED) is part of the game.
    REcently i saw artifact with push back ability with no limits can push a whole team and do not respect cc immunities.

what is the difference using the above instead of drain on a lets say guild level 6?

we can agree drain dont let you dodge reduce your ap is not skill( ward ward ward ward).
    THe teams using lions where is their skill? ROTATION: prone and then you are unable to do something and they land you the stun lock ! wake up;p

And final and important : I will use whatever i want its noone business.

Post edited by mamalion1234 on
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    Must admit, I was up against a premade last night, and about 3 different lions hit me on mid. Still hate drainers more though.

I know THC bans drains and ambush, though since the nerf I don't know about ambush anymore.

I'd be happy if they stopped SH boons and mount bonuses working in dom I guess, though I have them, sans lion.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    ltgamesttv#0999 ltgamesttv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,438 Arc User
    All this banter goes back to my original point, get rid of all of it. Code it out of PVP. Make PVP pure so it can be balanced.

Thanks for your time.
    On ambush rings: "How would you like PVE if all the mobs were invisible?"

imgur pics don't work

• Options
    victusvahnfirevictusvahnfire Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Outstanding post op! I agree with you 100%

I began playing nw at launch on pc. I was a high end pvper who quit the game out of frustration a few months after tenacity was first introduced.

I have recently picked up nw again a few weeks ago on PS4.

Returning to the game I knew I would be way behind on boons, upon learning about the mount buffs, insignias, and much of what op listed above, I no longer see a point in playing past 60.

I wouldn't regrind 1 toon thru those boons again, let alone the 5 toons I play now.

So I looks like 10-60 pvp for me.

They really went wrong with that first major pvp patch. It introduced tenacity and changed pvp/pve gear separating the 2 due to tenacity.

That was always one of the coolest things about this game was you could wear your pve gear into pvp. You could also mix and match all of the set bonuses which afforded for a lot of creative builds to be discovered.

The only thing separating players back the was gear and enchants, both which could be obtained with some reasonable time devoted to playing.

Fast forward to present day and look what separates players in pvp now.

By the time someone grinds all the boons out to be competitive the next mod will be out lol... there is no catching up.

So myself and my buddies who all just returned to nw just decided we would just pvp with toons from 10-60 and then move onto the next class that caught our interest.

There isn't an endgame for pvpers in nw.

So there is really no point in getting to max level to only be greeted by players who out boon and gear you by leaps and bounds.

If they would address the boons, and mount buff issues I'd be happy.

Team comps, pugs, gear score ques, I really don't have to much issue with...

People with 5 plus set of boons queuing up against fresh face 70 is an issue.

Fresh face 70 is gonna get stomped by the super boons players and after that... what's his reason to play? The amount of time it would take to even things up is ridiculous...

Thanks for the great thread op!
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Part of the problem is still, apparantly, some of the big guilds allow the use of drains mk2 whatever, in pug pvp. Just fought a HR from forsaken rebels for a couple of matches - drains on for all of them. Not going to name and shame, pity she's such a pop ular flower though, I'll never look at opium the same way again.
  • Options
    Anyone care to enlighten a returning player from years past as to what drains are?

Clarification on this whole mount stat fiasco would be appreciated as well...

It would appear that pvp is still the long forgotten step child.

As a returning player, who has spent money on this game... why would I want to return when the power gap hasn't become a chasm?

There isn't a reason to play beyond 60 unless you want to devote an insane amount of time to leveling boons.

I play 5 toons, soon to be more.

I will play then to 60 then quit again.

No money spent this run cryptic.

I would like to play/invest in the game again but the current state of pvp is down right insulting.
  • Options
    crowdsourced#3904 crowdsourced Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    jonkoca said:

Part of the problem is still, apparantly, some of the big guilds allow the use of drains mk2 whatever, in pug pvp. Just fought a HR from forsaken rebels for a couple of matches - drains on for all of them. Not going to name and shame, pity she's such a pop ular flower though, I'll never look at opium the same way again.

If I recall correctly, Forsaken Rebels do not allow their members to use ambush rings and drains. If that is the case, then it really is a shame popular flowers are exempt from rules. No use trying to report it as you'll only get fake excuse from the leaders. They recently lost their PVP team so keeping active players is probably the top of their priority list.
  • Options
    And another drainer HR yesterday, maybe he thought nobody would be able to touch him as corpse-jumped his way to victory. Seriously though, it seems to me there are so few good pvp HRs left in the game, that I see regularly anyway, and the HR class has great options atm. Pvp-wise there is absolutely no need to equip such low-handed broken enchants.

Their guild leaders need to have some words with them, to preserve their reputations if nothing else.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Sure but it's the new players who see the big boys with their drains in pug matches, long before, if ever, they join the premade scene. Anyway, general rant over. Just find it disappointing as a whole, been on a break from pvp for a while, my expectations had been raised, obviously falsely yet again.
  • Options
    icyphishicyphish Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,255 Arc User
    i dont mind when i see them use drains, give me more reasons to kill them over and over even after they called GG :hushed:
    yes trash should be treated exactly like trash
    icydrake%20avatar2_zpsg7rp0xti.jpg

Author of GWF Speed Demon PvP Build (Mod 11) <- Click to reveal the Speedy Beast! >:)
  • Options
    crowdsourced#3904 crowdsourced Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    icyphish said:

i dont mind when i see them use drains, give me more reasons to kill them over and over even after they called GG :hushed:

yes trash should be treated exactly like trash

It's a simple as that.

Neverwinter developers didn't enforce a "GG" rule. It is perfectly valid and legal in the game to keep playing PVP and killing the enemy team even if the game is over. If you don't yell out obscenities then it isn't harassment. You are just playing the game mode as intended.

Now if these players suddenly want to be part of the player-created code of conduct, then they must abide by those rules and part of it is not using rings or drains. Otherwise, do not complain about the lack of GG.
  • Options
    Well as a returning high end player (as in paying customer, cryptic), the information within this thread was extremely helpful as well as disappointing.

I have now researched drains and the rings in question...

As if pvp didn't have enough problems due to boons and the power gaps they create.

The only reason I play this game is for pvp.

Cryptic has ignored the pvp community since launch.

My plans of returning to neverwinter have now been altered due to these game breaking mechanics.

I will now level my toons 10-60 strictly in pvp and then drop that toon upon hitting 60.

I will enjoy the awesome battle mechanics and the fun the various classes offer but I will not spend a dime.

After I've had my fun with a few toons I will quit.

Not because I don't want to play, because I refuse to sink endless amounts of time in grinding boons just to be competitive at top lv.

How can anyone play more than 1 toon at end game unless they grind out boons with each character?

Who has the time for that...

I enjoy playing multiple character classes but the current endgame power structure kills this game on both sides, pvp and pve.

Why spend countless hours grinding boons to play with my friends cryptic when I can just play another game that doesn't t require a monotonous grindfest to find a sliver of enjoyment.

Before anyone chimes in about buying boons...

I refuse to give money to developers to ostracize and segregate members of there gaming community.

Cryptic... you guys do want people to spend money on your game right?

With this current structure, myself and returning guildies will just pass thru without even reaching for our wallets...
  • Options
    lupisulupisu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 86 Arc User
    I've said this elsewhere, but gear is both more of an issue and harder to obtain than boons. It's both true that, boons bring nothing positive to pvp, as well as that they are minor when comparing how a fresh toon does against a BIS one. I for one would want the clean version of pvp that comes up again and again to be with gear negated just as much as everything else. That way it wouldn't be a year or so before anyone new entering the game would have a hope of standing up to established players.
  • Options
    crollaxcrollax Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    THEY HAVE TO FIX THE 5V5 SYNC QUE FIRST MOST IMPORTANT IS THIS,

meanwhile there not even single 4m or 3m que , how possible 5x 5m 5v5 CANT CATCH eachother explain me,.....

I swear tons of player left game only because of this HAMSTER time waste que attemps...

• Options
    ltgamesttv#0999 ltgamesttv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,438 Arc User
    crollax said:

THEY HAVE TO FIX THE 5V5 SYNC QUE FIRST MOST IMPORTANT IS THIS,

meanwhile there not even single 4m or 3m que , how possible 5x 5m 5v5 CANT CATCH eachother explain me,.....

I swear tons of player left game only because of this HAMSTER time waste que attemps...

I'd love to see a premade lobby, it's one of the points I make in multiple posts and threads. I think it's what we've all asked for for mods and mods.
    On ambush rings: "How would you like PVE if all the mobs were invisible?"

imgur pics don't work

• Options
    I only have 1 issue with pvp...... Legendary Mounts .. is an unfair advantage to those who don't have one..... being able to get the bonus stats is one thing but being able to call in your mount during battle is way to much.... that action should be disabled... just like the companions are... i. love pvp but dislike the unfair advantage the legendary mount brings to the table.... I am sure that is a lot of the reason pvp has lost so many of it combatants..
  • Options
    bwowmpbwowmp Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 81 Arc User
    Apologies up-front for length. It's freaking "War and Peace" so if you don't have five minutes, stop reading now. And maybe this should actually be a thread all its own, but this one seems to be drawing attention, and we are, in fact, talking about what is broken in PvP.

I've not read every word in this thread so this may have been addressed somewhere. Apologies if so. But I've read most of it. I agree with most of Tyrion's set of propositions in the original post. However, I believe one of the most broken things in PvP was completely missed, or is simply not recognized. Cryptic cannot be blamed for it, and perhaps that is why.

I am speaking about elitism. Sometimes better recognized as arrogance.

I am a high-IL player and, in fair estimation, a mediocre PvP'er. I am in a guild and alliance which is almost exclusively PvE...because that is where my friends are. But I queue up and PvP a ton. Usually multiple matches on any given day. I'm a freaking junkie for it.

I have been in an alliance in the past headed by a large PvP guild in which I could place a shout out in alliance chat looking for a PvP run. Crickets. Over and over again. Every time. It's not because I'm a jerk...quite the opposite. It's not because I am a huge liability in the arena. It's because of the assumption that I am in a PvE guild, and therefore not worthy of consideration. I wasn't in the elite "clique". The helm guild, after a few weeks of alliance novelty wore off, rarely interacted with the rest of the alliance. A few helm members did not fit this mold and were right good blokes, but most did, unfortunately, fit squarely into said mold. Like a glove. This dynamic made no one else in my guild want to be in their alliance at all, and certainly did nothing to pique interest in PvP.

I was in a match yesterday with a well-known GWF whom I fight A LOT, who consistenly wrecks me, and who I will give solid props to for being utterly dominant. I don't' run from him or refuse to fight him. I don't give him a hard time for being primarily a pugstomper. We've chatted in the past. He's no charmer, but seems okay enough. He'd queued with one guild member of his and got me along with two other pugs....I am over 4k and they were both around 3K and with decent gear...not a train wreck. We were facing another guild's premade. Not an utter nightmare, but a very solid team. As I inspected the team we had, I saw a solid chance to win, and at the very least, to compete well (I know most of the opposing players). The GWF never left the campfire. I asked him in party chat why he was afraid...his guildmate responded that he was not afraid, but simply did not want to waste his time. Yet he spent that same amount of time sitting at a campfire to avoid the leaver penalty. I called him out on it in party chat, and pointed out that he did have time to pugstomp all day and was making time to stand by a campfire for an entire match, so I was a bit confused. Again...crickets.

Why was he camping? He'd rather screw the team he'd queued into with a certain loss than risk taking a few kills. He had the loss already...he ensured it. But would not fight someone who had a chance of killing him. Wow. Just wow.

I see these kinds of behavior over and over again. I see pugs getting told they have HAMSTER gear and should not have queued. Almost always from members of "PvP" guilds, and honestly so few guilds that I can almost count them on one hand. But those guilds are always in Dom, and seem to dominate (no pun intended) the PvP universe in NW. They should be setting the standard for behavior in that realm, and they often do. Bad behavior, sadly enough.

When I started this game, it took me a month to make a good friend. I met him by talking smack to him as he corpse-jumped on me after tearing me to shreds. One thing led to another and he became a sort of mentor. My best in-game pal. He was in a big PvP guild, much better than me, and quite well-known. But he made time to help me out, talk to me a little, and give encouragement. He made it easier to bear getting destroyed multiple times daily while I built a toon that could at least compete in the arena. Partially because of him, I bore the adversity and never quit.

A month ago I saw him in a match and said "hi". It wasn't him. He'd given his account away. Why? Some of it was boredom. But much of it was people's attitudes and egos in-game.

Like every economy, social system, etc...this MMO and any aspect of it are more likely to thrive with higher population and higher level of engagement. How will PvP thrive again? When everyone who has only been playing for six months and just made 3K stops feeling that they can't queue for domination because it will be full of people who will exhibit bad behavior. When the population in PvP is so high that cryptic cannot simply disregard threads like this. Again. And again. And again.

I hate the drains too guys. But I hate the e-narcissists even more. And PvP is absolutely rife with them.

I don't have a fix. I am talking about human nature, and probably also a lot of people who use PvP to overcompensate for some serious inadequacies in real life. And PvP will never be a "warm and fuzzy" place. Nor should it be...I believe that thoroughly. But there is a very obvious reason you can't just queue up for GG and expect it to pop anymore as it used to. Once the 10-man guild premades started facerolling it 24/7 and acting like a pack of spoiled brats on their personal playground, everyone else gave it up. Poof. GG is gone.

Don't mock people's gear. Don't harsh on their playstyle. Don't critique their rotation without them asking for help. Don't be a Richard. It's really not that hard.

You can get 20 kills and no deaths without being a total jerk about it. It is really not all that difficult. I can do it...why not everyone else? I'm no genius...neither intellectually nor emotionally, yet I am generally kind to my fellow player in there. Even the very folks I am railing on right here and now. We should all remember, each and every one of us had to start somewhere. If we don't give those whom we view as somehow "lesser" than us a place to play with us, to learn with us, to look up to us ,and to join our world...that world will die.

Cryptic sees the numbers. They see how many players are in PvP. You want fixes? Act decently, and keep the pugs coming back for more because even if they get stomped, they do not feel shunned and berated. Give encouragement...not scorn. When the population goes back up and people give two cents about PvP again, folks at Cryptic just might find the laundry list of issues which began this thread to be something worthy of consideration, rather than just another thread with the same old people crying over the same old things.

Just my two cents. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong. But I'm in there a lot, and this is how I see it.

Cheers to you all. Keep fighting hard and having fun!
  • Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User

I only have 1 issue with pvp...... Legendary Mounts .. is an unfair advantage to those who don't have one..... being able to get the bonus stats is one thing but being able to call in your mount during battle is way to much.... that action should be disabled... just like the companions are... i. love pvp but dislike the unfair advantage the legendary mount brings to the table.... I am sure that is a lot of the reason pvp has lost so many of it combatants..

Out of ALL the stuff mounts are your biggest complaint? Im impressed... They are definitely ONE of the many problems. Frankly I say get rid of ALL of it.... Boons, Mounts, Overloads, Insignias, you name it.

I recently created a thread in which I referened WOWs new PVP model. They completely standardized gear. For a LONG time I was against this in NW, because I liked build diversity and creativity in PVP. I have come to the SAD realization that the DEVs in NW just cant handle allowing us this flexibility. That whenever you offer "choice" MOST of the time its an illusion of choice and everyone finds a "META-build" and plays it. So there really is NO variation for PVP.

For this reason, I think NW has gotten to a point it needs to just normalize PVP - like WOW has. I mean heck, if "THE MMO GIANT" has done it, they are not stupid... The only thing Blizzard likes doing more than making new games is counting their money. They obviously had PLENTY of data supporting the "Why" normalization of gear in PVP is better....

So why try and re-invent the wheel. NW PVP is dead. Its broken and it needs to be fixed. Rather than try and "open up the hood" and fix all the problems. You can fix them ALL by normalizing PVP gear.

For details reference my recent thread: http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1228337/lesson-from-wow-what-neverwinter-could-learn-from-the-giant-in-pvp-item-standardization
  • Options
    kingdomcoming#9367 kingdomcoming Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    I think mounts is his biased personal complaint based on his position in the game (he doesn't have a particular one). I agree that it's a really weird complaint that is short-sighted. Mounts are just the tip of a bigger in-depth problem in PVP balance
This discussion has been closed.