test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread: Weapon Enhancement Changes

Comments

• ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    etelgrin said:

Only one thing, I read in the comments that SW needs a buff so let it multiproc lightning and possibly other hamsters.

Please do not buff class performance based on bugs anymore like Tyrannical or Murderous Flames in the past nor judge class performance based on the fact that enchantment x goes buggy, simply not everybody wants to switch to buggy things to stay viable, I would much rather get a regular based on performance of SW buff or none.

Meh, those certain SW powers are terribly lackluster dps-wise anyway. Back in mod 5 they synergized with the old set bonuses. Let blades finally perform with something that enhances it. Dreadtheft is a channeling attack, just fix the at-will bug for that.

I don't see the devs adding anything to the three trees or class features to buff those powers like the cw gets with it's own powers, so let something finally synergize with them.
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    Lifedrinker:

Notes on Lifedrinker:

1) It gives 5% lifesteal chance (not 5% increased stat) and 20% increased lifesteal severity.

2) If you use another encounter while it is up, it does not refresh the timer, this means there will be some downtime.

3) The buff does not stack.

Dread+Vorp:

Cells highlighted in red aren't getting the critical severity bonus.

Notes on Dread and Vorp:

1) If smoulder procs off an encounter, it counts as an encounter and benefits from dread.

2) I don't have the patience to test final flame, getting it to proc is finicky at best.

3) The first hit of sudden storm's arc appears to not benefit from the 30% damage bonus for being rank 4.

4) The DoT on Dread ticks for 50% of weapon damage, does not scale with buffs (but does benefit from debuffs) and can be stacked with insignia bonuses like magister's consideration.

I will do lightning and frost tomorrow and then draw up a comparison of weapon enchantments for CW.
    Post edited by thefabricant on
  • treesclimbertreesclimber Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    MR devs:
    Consider make terror stack, it's pointless not to, dread does (at least on dragon server) so terror more than deserves it as well.

• rgutscheradevrgutscheradev Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 186 Cryptic Developer
    Quick clarification:
    Nothing is getting nerfed overall (compared to what's on live). It's just a smaller buff. Remember, none of this stuff is live yet. So if we buff Fey (say) by half as much as the other enchants, it's still getting a buff. Just a smaller one than the other enchants (because it already has other stuff going for it).

All of the enchants that convert from non-scaling to scaling damage will be getting a huge buff. The only question is how big? So any lowering of lightning or fey (compared to what's now on playtest) represents "smaller buff for these two than for the others", not an actual nerf (compared to what's on live).

Quick clarification:
    Nothing is getting nerfed overall (compared to what's on live). It's just a smaller buff. Remember, none of this stuff is live yet. So if we buff Fey (say) by half as much as the other enchants, it's still getting a buff. Just a smaller one than the other enchants (because it already has other stuff going for it).

All of the enchants that convert from non-scaling to scaling damage will be getting a huge buff. The only question is how big? So any lowering of lightning or fey (compared to what's now on playtest) represents "smaller buff for these two than for the others", not an actual nerf (compared to what's on live).

I would consider giving Flaming's DoT a massive, UBER, HUUUUUUUUGE buff due to it being the worst of all the WEs atm.

• tyrtallowtyrtallow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    Originally I was going to post a spreadsheet about enchant testing from a SW perspective, starting with Bilethorn (and for the record Dreadtheft has a potential rival in Blades of Vanquished Armies, since the curse synergy also procs enchants, and Curse Bite, because of the short CD and 2 procs per target per cast) but after an unfortunate blackout incident and the loss of most of my data I decided to just focus on enchant behavior:

As @thefabricant pointed out, effects that boost the damage of at-wills and encounters can also boost the damage of procs made from an at-will/encounter. I have tested this with SW feats Empowered Rituals and Executioner's Gift.
    This in mind, characters that can stack a massive amount of +%damage can potentially be just as (if not more) gamebreaking than characters that can proc enchants multiple times, especially if they also use powers that have good proc rates. Note that+%damage effects (from universal effects like stats/combat advantage to powers/feats to items like Feytouched/Wheel of the Elements) are plenty and many are reliable (instead of RNG based, like many +crit effects).

As @thefabricant pointed out, there seems to be a hidden damage multiplier in several powers (mostly dailies, I have noticed this on Brood of Hadar, Accursed Souls and Blade of Vanquished Armies) that also affects proc damage from these powers (sometimes with multiple modifiers per power). From my testing with SWs, the value varies from ~0.8x-1.8x.
    What's weird is that this effect seems absolute, and will even affect Bilethorn's non-scaling (bugged) DoT.

Procs are independent of each other. A character with a spammable attack (especially an AoE attack, like the third hit of Eldritch Blast or Weapon Master's Strike) can proc Bilethorn (and its AoE DoT) on all targets a consistent number of times.

Some over-time powers exhibit odd behavior with enchants. All non-curse synergy Bilethorn DoT procs from Blades of Vanquished Armies, for example, will stop as soon as the power itself stops (ie, goes on cooldown).

Powers that work differently in certain circumstances can also have different proc rates. Ranged Hand of Blight has a proc rate of 4 per full casting, while melee Hand of Blight has a proc rate of 9 per full casting. Normal Hadar's Grasp only has a proc rate of around ~5 (sorry about the approximates, going from memory) while Curse Consume Hadar's Grasp has a proc rate of 15+ per casting.
    The level of the power in question can also affect proc rate. Curse Consume Level 1 Hadar's Grasp has less procs than Curse Consume level 2,3 and 4 Hadar's Grasp.

You there. New to the game? Feeling overwhelmed? Maybe you think getting to end-game is impossible for a casual player like yourself, or maybe you just need to be around a community that helps each other stay sane and competitive with the latest news, current trends, random chitchat and most of all LEGIT (that is, we try to keep things fair) gameplay. If you don't mind being around quirky people and the rare occasional drama (one of our prominent TR members is apparently a mafia godfather) join nw_legit_community at http://www.nwlegitcommunity.shivtr.com/forum_threads/2330542.
  • masterclown61masterclown61 Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    Just read the comment above and see how f...ed up this game's powers and how much of a deadend trying to bring balance into classes/enchants.
    Don't even know why you guys are worried about CWs and SWs exploiting this. Hell, there are bugs on the HR still that are out of control that make this HAMSTER look like child's play.
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User

Quick clarification:

va8Ru.gif
  • rafaeldarafaelda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 666 Arc User

CW and SW need damage buffs anyway. So, let them have Lightning multi-procs. That is how I see it.

Plus they will need to deal with the Agro they will build...
    I Use a Perfect Lightning in My Gf to build more agro, i've teste him on preview and i have to sai, if you plan to lower the dmg do it in the whole thing not only in the chains, asking for a nerf in the chains is to nerf the enchant identity...
    edited January 2017
    etelgrin said:

Maybe they have hidden multiplier, then is not enough. Brood of Hadar is doing pathetic damage and pathetic DoT damage for the fact that is a daily, is better to cast another Hellish Rebuke that this hamster, but hold on. Accursed Soul is so bad that it sometimes doesn't detect targets around and hits nothing or sometimes doesn't even display ANY hit spite animation, it has long cast time does no damage and nearly no heals whatsoever. Flames of Empowerment is like a very very very very bad version of GWFs Destroyer, the damage boost coming from this power is very poor to be honest. Harrowstorm OP? Hold on wait till it casts and eventually end up with cancelled animation, before its been cast be prepare to get proned, stunned, dazed whatever, everything is faster cast time than Harrowstorm, it has short cooldown ok but you need another as much time as the cooldown is to actually cast it, I know in PvE targets don't move, don't dodge and don't require much brainwork, but in PvP is uncastable despite its usefulness design its very poor actually.

I agree that harrow storm as a too slow cast time, mumbled about it 2 or 3 times during class balance, same thing for boar charge, probably devs want it this way...abour brood of hadar, for a helbringer it's the best single target attack, and accursed soul steals life very well additionaly to add a stack of soul investiture, this from a pve perspective.

Quick clarification:

I know that from a "base character" perspective a feytouched result on a player is expected and actually provides to the team protection and the player dps on a balance, but when it comes to endgame with such crit severity feytouched extends it's capabilities way further, consider a balance between damage increase and crit sev increase and the cunterpart of crit severity and damage decrease on oponent. I am not crying for a n3rf but if the bugs are fixed and it actually becomes full time reliable i forsee a full army of players carrying them with dps intention in mind....

• peregr1nusperegr1nus Member Posts: 160 Arc User

Quick clarification:

Thanks for the clarification! I thought its like this but... one cant be sure.
  • nickjdowenickjdowe Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    Is it possible to remove the cool down completely from all WEs at the Transcendent level? It seems like a logical goal to have a 100% uptime on the identity of each WE once you have maxed it out. Especially since boss fights are getting longer, the uptime on these novelty debuff or buff powers from your WE are extremely underwhelming when looking at the effort and resources needed to get them to Transcendent.
    edited January 2017
    Frost:

Deals 16% of weapon damage and has a 7% uncapped debuff, nothing special that hasn't been said about other enchantments.

Lightning:

Has the Initial hit for 32% of weapon damage, the Arc for 32% of weapon damage and the Burst for 33% of the Initial Hit. If the Initial Hit crits, so do the Arc and the Burst. The Initial hit and the Burst scale. The Arc and Initial hit apply the CD reduction on each hit, the Burst does not. The burst and arc do not have the 1.6 multiplier, only the initial hit does.

Bug: Lightning Arc does not Scale.

The Arc on the lightning enchantment does not scale, although it should.

I am finishing up with my comparison, I should post it in 1-3 days time.
  • tyrtallowtyrtallow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    Brood of Hadar is doing pathetic damage and pathetic DoT damage for the fact that is a daily, is better to cast another Hellish Rebuke that this hamster, but hold on. Accursed Soul is so bad that it sometimes doesn't detect targets around and hits nothing or sometimes doesn't even display ANY hit spite animation, it has long cast time does no damage and nearly no heals whatsoever.

Most SW dailies have their place. I definitely wouldn't mind mind if they got a buff, but with the sole exception of Gates of Hell (underwhelming daily which also doesn't proc weapon enchant strikes) they all have their place. Someone already pointed out the high base damage of Brood of Hadar, and with player buffs/debuffs the daily can do massive single target spike damage. In PvP the stun is (except for CC bugs) useful. Accursed Soul's animation can be cancelled with Shadow Slip after the first hit, which doesn't affect how much total damage the power does. It basically exists as a way for you to quickly apply Lesser Curse (allowing for powerful followup damage with curse synergy powers like Curse Bite) and deal damage/heal (from power itself, LS from power damage, LS from Lesser Curse DoT). Immolation Spirits/Tyrannical Curse have their obvious uses, while Flames of Phlegethos has good base damage, can proc enchants 7x per cast on the main target and will let you track invisible characters in PvP (fittingly, you can't hide unholy fire).

The odd behavior of weapon proc enchants vs powers is not as worrying to me as weapon enchant damage scaling. I don't see why the devs can't simply put a limit on how many procs a weapon enchant can generate per second per source, for example (which is similar to what they did with boons). What worries me is what +%damage from the many sources in the game (including debuffs and hidden sources) can do for weapon proc damage, especially for characters that can stack a ton of them.
    A comparison with something like Vorpal will have to be made, and we should thank our lucky stars we have people doing that.
    Post edited by tyrtallow on
    You there. New to the game? Feeling overwhelmed? Maybe you think getting to end-game is impossible for a casual player like yourself, or maybe you just need to be around a community that helps each other stay sane and competitive with the latest news, current trends, random chitchat and most of all LEGIT (that is, we try to keep things fair) gameplay. If you don't mind being around quirky people and the rare occasional drama (one of our prominent TR members is apparently a mafia godfather) join nw_legit_community at http://www.nwlegitcommunity.shivtr.com/forum_threads/2330542.
    edited January 2017
    @rgutscheradev Barkshield is not working on preview, just checked and damage is not getting mitigated but stacks are falling, also the appearance of the enchantment surrounding the character(those flat looking stones) is not changing. Warlock's bargain is removing 1 charge (intended?) and from all i can remember only the survivor's wraps may be having the same effect but i dont have ones to try, if nobody else here confirms that they do, do your coding magic to try ones out xD.

• ruffneck#4235 ruffneck Member Posts: 67 Arc User

OK, just did a big checkin. Hopefully you guys will be seeing it soon-ish, but only the producers can say for sure!
    * The AoE on Transcendent Plaguefire, and all the second hits on Bilethorn, should now scale like everything else. AFAIK those are all the things that should have been scaling and weren't (someone mentioned Lightning, but it was scaling, both in tooltip and actual damage, when I checked it -- can anyone else verify?). If anyone knows of any remaining "failure to scale" issues, please let me know!
    * The AoEs on Flaming and Plaguefire were in terrible shape. It basically never proc'd, and the damage it did was crazy low for a 20 second cooldown. It should proc consistently now, I increased the damage a ton (base went up from 6% to 80% on Flaming and from 12% to 40% on Plaguefire, plus whatever scaling you might have), and I added the damage to the tooltip.
    * I tweaked the numbers down somewhat on Lightning, Feytouched, and Bilethorn second hit (details in patch notes). It should still be a net win for all of these, though. Reasoning: Lightning and Feytouched discussed above; Bilethorn second hit had very high base numbers to begin with, so once they started scaling it got pretty nuts, especially at Transcendent when it was an every-hit AoE. The overall damage on Bilethorn is still really good compared to the other enchants, since the second hit is very consistent. Note all of these number tweaks are just to the base damage, not to any of the "special effects", so the end result is still a pure power increase in every case (same "special effects", and a net increase in damage because of the scaling).

Thanks for all the feedback so far, and keep 'em coming!

Does this include the "D.o.T" part of Plague and Flaming? so far quite low on the dot side

thanks for update.

edited January 2017

OK, just did a big checkin. Hopefully you guys will be seeing it soon-ish, but only the producers can say for sure!
    * The AoE on Transcendent Plaguefire, and all the second hits on Bilethorn, should now scale like everything else. AFAIK those are all the things that should have been scaling and weren't (someone mentioned Lightning, but it was scaling, both in tooltip and actual damage, when I checked it -- can anyone else verify?). If anyone knows of any remaining "failure to scale" issues, please let me know!
    * The AoEs on Flaming and Plaguefire were in terrible shape. It basically never proc'd, and the damage it did was crazy low for a 20 second cooldown. It should proc consistently now, I increased the damage a ton (base went up from 6% to 80% on Flaming and from 12% to 40% on Plaguefire, plus whatever scaling you might have), and I added the damage to the tooltip.
    * I tweaked the numbers down somewhat on Lightning, Feytouched, and Bilethorn second hit (details in patch notes). It should still be a net win for all of these, though. Reasoning: Lightning and Feytouched discussed above; Bilethorn second hit had very high base numbers to begin with, so once they started scaling it got pretty nuts, especially at Transcendent when it was an every-hit AoE. The overall damage on Bilethorn is still really good compared to the other enchants, since the second hit is very consistent. Note all of these number tweaks are just to the base damage, not to any of the "special effects", so the end result is still a pure power increase in every case (same "special effects", and a net increase in damage because of the scaling).

@rgutscheradev the Initial hit and the Burst on Lightning Scale, however, the Arc (the part that hits other opponents when there are multiple enemies) does not. It does crit, however, it has a base value of 32% of your weapon damage that isn't been modified by buffs etc.

Also, I would REALLY appreciate if you could fix the bug whereby the slow effect on bilethorn removes chill stacks from enemies, since I would really like to be able to use the enchantment but that bug makes it a deal breaker :(

Yes, lightning burst isn't scalling.

Does this include the "D.o.T" part of Plague and Flaming? so far quite low on the dot side

thanks for update.

The problem is not the dot the problem, or not problem, is the stacking, many classes/playstiles will pass way over the 3 stacks those enchants have, but if you use for example on a DC. using blessings of battle, that is probably the slowest at-will in the game and astral shield in the rotation the hits will hit if not all praticly all.

• warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited January 2017

can u remove icd from holy avanger and frost? once in 20 sec cd makes them quite bad
    edited January 2017

The problem is not the dot the problem, or not problem, is the stacking, many classes/playstiles will pass way over the 3 stacks those enchants have, but if you use for example on a DC. using blessings of battle, that is probably the slowest at-will in the game and astral shield in the rotation the hits will hit if not all praticly all.

Yeah, the problem WAS the DoT.

You call 400-1000 damage per second viable!? I never saw it stack beyond that.

Buffing that AoE sounds good on paper. But what we have here is a completely useless WE until you get to pure/trans to get that. The DoT needs a serious buff.

Why are all of these offensive enchants being made to perform so poorly for slow classes?