test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fishing

Fishing is boring, you need to fix the treasure maps they are glitch, if you go to were they are you cannot even open them! A million and one bugs later.......

Comments

• yiazzyyiazzy Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    Well you only need 5 each of 2 different fish for your Relic weapon restoration. Not that bad.

Treasure maps haven't bugged for me at all, and I've had 15. So I've no idea why they're bugged for you.
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    yeah Iv'e had about 15 as well. no bugs. the fishing is boring but I use that time and browse the web. I'm fishing right now as we speak.. wait wait.. that one was t4 lol. I haven't had a map bug yet either. is your inventory full? that will do it. you can also only have one open at a time. I kinda like the fishing but it IS ridiculous to have in a game like this. it's like those sections of uncharted (shooter game) where they want you to suddenly do street fighter IV. irritating simon says.
  • mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User
    I'm going to try and get into this...
    I can't contain my excitement at the prospect of some relic stuff for five each of two fish.
    I need to put the Bluray of 300 on so I can get in the mood.
    Shurrup Buttwad screaming "THIS IS FISHING!!!!!!' should do the trick.
    Right...
    Its three hours later and I tried.
    I did... I tried.

My conclusion is simply this.

"Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day...
    Teach a man to fish and he will go play Star Trek Online instead, where the plots and campaigns don't involve the most boring hobby in the universe, and swapping kippers with the Moose tribe."
  • ltsmithnekoltsmithneko Member Posts: 1,578 Arc User
    Gone through about +80x Maps in a bottle without it being bugged, n' have about 100% of the fish stored in my bank for later, since I'm at the cap for Elk Tribe. The fishing is nice you just have to learn how to do it right. ;P Aka the same way you do Dungeon farming, just have something snapped n' only take the - , IV, and V n' just move your kayak when it's anything else unless you do't have that fish.
    edited January 2017
    So... I'm doing it wrong?
    Ok.. I'm sitting in a boat in the sea.
    I press the button and it tells me to wait...
    I wait.
    Then I press another button and play a three way version of Simon for ten seconds then a 28 pound fish appears in my inventory.

What am I missing?

In a dungeon I get to run round and fight monsters. Where are the similarities?

If Dungeon runs have become too easy for some people, I fail to see how introducing something so mind numbingly banal in its even greater simplicity is a step forward.

I got it when it was the Winter Festival... I sat for four days fishing to get enough Linus to fill Tyranny. As a short term diversion, it was painful enough, but as a focus for a new module?

Will mod 11 have the "Standing under a tree waiting for stuff to fall on your head" add on?
    At least that would have comedy potential.
    Mod 12 could be all about settling down with a nice cup of cocoa in front of the fire. Where you literally have to do nothing for hours and get rewards you got bored of having to work for.
    Think of it this way...at least it's not "Go and get 50 of this item from this dungeon, which only drops in stacks of one from the end chest, and has a 5% chance of dropping" PER WEAPON.

That's when I'd be like...no.
    "At least its not..." is the lowest form of endorsement.
    Especially when what its "not" involves taking your character into a dungeon and fighting monsters, and what it is is sitting still dangling string in the water for "rewards".

If the best measure of content is the ease and speed of its reward then I've being doing it wrong for close to forty years.
    Oddly enough... the wrong way seems more fun.
    The next update is fighting stuff. You happier now?

I, however, will continue fishing, get my restored gear, and pass your level. Patience and all
    You see that right there's the problem.
    You somehow suppose I give a shivering HAMSTER about how powerful I am when the question is about whether the content being delivered is worthy of inclusion in a Dungeons and Dragons game.

Over the years TSR and WOTC included quite a lot of substandard rule changes in order to sell more rule books.
    But at the heart of the game it didn't matter, because if you have a good DM writing good adventures that excite players and hold their attention it will always work.
    The rules can always be trumped by the quality of the adventure.

Precedent and cliche play a huge part in writing good adventures, taking good ideas and developing them into your own.
    Invisibility rings, magic swords, fighting orcs and ogres, all play a big part in the fantasy adventure genre. Dragons for God's sake. And of course originality is to be applauded.
    But ripping a HAMSTER mechanic from a popular game just to allow people to "Level" because heroic adventuring is too beneath them is HAMSTER.
    Fishing is HAMSTER.

Fine, so the drop rates aren't great. So FIX THAT. Don't drop new drop rates in with something so dull that even Dan Brown wouldn't use as a plot device in a Langdon novel.

Drop rates and rewards shouldn't be the measure of the material.

Otherwise by extension the ultimate adventure would be sitting doing nothing, and the longer you sit the more "cool stuff" you get.

You might get the moon and the stars for fishing, and be happy as Larry that you became super tough because you swapped some salmon with the Elk people. That doesn't make actually doing the fishing any good.
  • ddem0n888ddem0n888 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    Fishing is refreshingly awesome. End of.
    Guild - Excalibur
  • missdayummissdayum Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    ddem0n888 said:

Fishing is refreshingly awesome. End of.

I somewhat I have to agree with this comment. :D
    I just move from fishing spot to spot as soon as I get a MiaB I move on to the next one. Also the only actual good thing about fishing is it helps with the wating game when you queue up for any dungeon and helps progressing your campaign as well.
    Best guild: Guardians of the Fallen (2019-2021)
    My past guilds: Guardians of Midgard/HazardousNation/SomewhatSerious/JesusHadSoulforged/ImperialLegion/LadiesofNeverwinter/OutKast
    My past alliances: LookGoodPlayGood/Eviscerate/JesusHadSoulforged/Ruthless/TheLegendaryOutlaws

GWF - 4,069 Gear Score (classic)
    Barbarian - 48,499 Total Item Level
    RIP Bonding Runestones since "combat/companion changes" update on February 5, 2021

Master of Svardborg (banner) trophy, unlocked January 4, 2020! (Playstation4) / Master of Svardborg (banner) achievement, unlocked August 9, 2017! (XboxOne) / Dragon's Bane (Defeat 1000 Dragons) trophy, unlocked February 5, 2020! (Playstation4) / Dragon's Bane (Defeat 1000 Dragons) achievement, unlocked June 9, 2015! (XboxOne) / Portal Dodger achievement, unlocked July 16, 2017! (XboxOne)
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    Fishing is better for getting he type rewards than he's which are EVEN more boring imo. But that's about all that can be said.
    Mord, Minecraft was not the first game with fishing in. Stop referencing it.

Also, stop thinking a videogame is going to be the same as DnD. Because it isn't.

You want dnd, go and play it, and leave those of us who enjoy this game to talk about it in peace, without you crying, "Fishing is rubbish, it's boring, wah!" in EVERY comment you've posted since Tuesday.
  • fearhodorwillie#7723 fearhodorwillie Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    I only fished long enough to get my first treasure map and had to log off in about 10 minutes, so I'm not sure how to read it. Is it the screenshot of where the treasure is that you have to find in the entire zone or are there more clues that I am missing?

BTW, I haven't explored a lot of the new zone yet, just opened it when I had the time and haven't done a lot of exploring yet.
    edited January 2017
    yiazzy said:

Mord, Minecraft was not the first game with fishing in. Stop referencing it.

Also, stop thinking a videogame is going to be the same as DnD. Because it isn't.

You want dnd, go and play it, and leave those of us who enjoy this game to talk about it in peace, without you crying, "Fishing is rubbish, it's boring, wah!" in EVERY comment you've posted since Tuesday.

Fishing is and will remain a lazy dull way to become powerful

If the "writers" don't want the game to be Dungeons and Dragons then they shouldn't use the name.

I've got some suggestions for mods 12 and 13.

Mod 12 - some pig faced monsters have stolen some eggs from Spinward Rise.
    Your job is to sit still and throw a variety of avian missiles at the Pigs' encampments and rescue the eggs.
    Every egg gives you an advanced level of the new Bone Ide enchantment thst gives you +400 per level on every stat.

Mod 13 - The Maze Engine has come back and you are stuck behind a wall of multi coloured gemstones. You have to heroically align the gems to make them explode so you can move through to the next wall. Every wall destroyed increases your new stat "Banality Blindness" As well as giving you a 100% off anything Zen voucher.
  • ltsmithnekoltsmithneko Member Posts: 1,578 Arc User

I only fished long enough to get my first treasure map and had to log off in about 10 minutes, so I'm not sure how to read it. Is it the screenshot of where the treasure is that you have to find in the entire zone or are there more clues that I am missing?

BTW, I haven't explored a lot of the new zone yet, just opened it when I had the time and haven't done a lot of exploring yet.

Go to the guides section find two of my posts smack dab in the middle of those is a post that can help you find the, I'd recommend going to page three it's the easiest way to get to an almost perfect screenshot of all maps, fishing spots, etc. :3

• Go to the guides section find two of my posts smack dab in the middle of those is a post that can help you find the, I'd recommend going to page three it's the easiest way to get to an almost perfect screenshot of all maps, fishing spots, etc. :3

• Thanks. I will check it out.
  • sundance777sundance777 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    I played a fishing game on Atari 2600 like 30 years ago so wow probably didn't invent fishing. Fishing is pretty boring tho, seems like since you have to hit all the buttons to catch the fish, maybe the wait part could be shortened by several seconds.
    TR - Sun: 16000 IL
    OP - Sunshine: 16000 IL

Casual Dailies
    Personally, my only gripe with fishing now that I've done it for long enough to actually have an opinion on the matter, is that the catch rate for the Guttables should be slightly increased.

I'm getting more T5s than T4s for god sake :')

Also, to Mord, I just picked up on something you said. You don't care about increasing your power level...which means, you don't have to do any fishing anyway if you're not getting the Relic Artifacts. SO WHY ARE YOU COMPLAINING ABOUT SOMETHING YOU NEVER INTENDED TO DO IN THE FIRST PLACE?! Caps to emphasise my immense confusion at this contradiction.
    edited January 2017
    Are you for real?
    Do you understand what a contradiction actually is?

Allow me to explain...
    If the material for Mod 10 had been fun and not sitting dipping my string in a lake I would have played it for the FUN.
    That is kind of, in fact EXACTLY, the point I'm making.
    I'm moaning about fishing because its boring, not because of the rewards.
    I don't care about the rewards I want new material that's FUN. I want new stuff to play, not banal sitting on my HAMSTER collection points medicority.

Not sure how many ways I can say this for it to sink in...

Fishing is HAMSTER.

You have said not one word about why fishing is good.
    ONLY that the rewards are cool, and why it's apparently better than grinding that involves graft rather than entropy.
    Try and explain why the mechanic of fishing is good without referring to the rewards, which could have been applied to aboslutely ANY activity they chose to add in Mod 10.

They chose fishing. The rewards could be the sun and the stars but that would not make FISHING exciting, fun, or worthy of inclusion in "the ultimate digital recreation of the Dungeons and Dragons experience."

Maybe you should have a word with PWE over their contnued comparison with D&D?
    Gonna have to say those three words that you, in your lack of sense, still don't seem to grasp.

Fishing is boring IN YOUR OPINION.

As for every single time you've said that Fishing doesn't belong in dnd, every DM you've ever played with has been terrible at it then. Writing/creating a story is certainly not about constant action.

But anyway, I'm done with debating the point. Don't fish, it doesn't bother me, you just miss out on the new artifact gear. No skin off my nose!
    But I keep asking for an (obviously well informed) opinion on what makes it so damned good. Its not just my opinion.
    Yet again... artifact gear is the validation.

Not that fishing in and of itself is good.
    Why fishing rather than any of the multiple suggestions put forward by Ed Greenwood and Rob Salvatore in the Storm King's Thunder source book, makes for, as I quoted before, "the ultimate digital recreation..." etc. and the most interesting and engaging method they could come up with for awarding said gear?
  • kuero21kuero21 Member Posts: 454 Arc User
    I didn't like Mod 10 too much myself but I really enjoy the SoMI map, the fishing and the treasure hunting. Finally something else than just mindless slaughtering.
  • sundance777sundance777 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    I actually fell asleep while fishing last night, it is boring....How about sometimes you land a dragon to fight, we could call it Fishing and Dragons.
    TR - Sun: 16000 IL
    OP - Sunshine: 16000 IL

Casual Dailies
  • ddem0n888ddem0n888 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    Every so often a sea monster should come and knock you out of your boat when fishing. Just to mix it up a bit.

But I stand by my flippant comment, dungeons have become really stale. Maybe it's just me but all I see in Chat makes me go 'meh'. Elol, CN, Edemo, etos etc. I've run them hundreds of times. I really can't be bothered with them anymore.

FBI was OK the first time but it lagged horribly and there were more than a few glitches.

Fishing, although just sitting there can have its fun. Getting a treasure map, opening it and searching for the treasure. Actually getting something decent in there.

When mod 11 comes around I'll be refreshed and thirsty for dungeons again. Until then Krill Bait Selected.
    Guild - Excalibur
    That's why, rather than essentially admitting defeat, they should create a bunch of new Skirmishes and Dungeon lines.
    KR, VT, CC, GWD... I think I managed two each... by waiting for HOURS just to play them for the sake of it.
    If no one's playing them WRITE SOMETHING NEW.

I used to work with a team of guys on NWN2 on Persistent World events and general DLC that we could share and between us we could create a bespoke adventure similar to LoL or CN in about two weeks. Four if we chose to use vocal tracks and lip flappers.
    That includes sculpted from scratch over lands and bespoke script in addition to the generic stuff.

Having had a look at Foundry tutorials online I can't imagine the core game engine is hugely different, so for the next mod in the pipeline, I think they should clean house, and spend the time they would otherwise on new tiles and scenery and skies and create new dungeons from existing tilesets for each of the existing campaign zones.

Every time I go into Sharandar or Dread zone there still seem to be plenty of level appropriate characters running round doing dailies. By no means is the majority of players queuing up to to Mod 10 dungeon runs. The problem is they aren't queuing for the stuff that would be giving them level appropriate rewards, either.

Of course... if they gave us Foundry, we could do some of it ourselves. And anyone using the excuse about how you can't do that sort of thing on XB is welcome to look at the stuff my 8 yr old son has done with Disney Infinity and what his big sister has managed on Project Spark.
    The fishing HE is exactly that, a sodding Dragon turtle doing it's best to boil your skin off of your bones!

Stop speculating on the next mod, it's set in The River District, with three wizards being the main villains of the mod. The facts are already out.