test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Is the ring of Sieging useful at the 80% DR?

sulajplsulajpl Member Posts: 77 Arc User
My short question is, Is the Ring of Sieging necessary when I actually have 80%DR that is mentioned to be the highest effective percentage. While moving, I don't think so that it'd buff actual 80% DR (80.43%) up to a number of 80.43x1.30= 104.55 (?)
You clearly see it is impossible, are my thoughts confirmed that it works only to a milestone of 80'?
[Should I then change the ring in order of being useless to my toon?]

Thanks in advance for the answer.

Best Answer

Answers

• rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User

Equip: When you have been moving for 2 seconds you gain 30% increased damage resistance as long as you continue moving.

Break that into two questions:

1) "Is Ring of Seiging useful for a GF?"

IMHO No. Ring of Seiging is conditional on movement. It drops if you activate a power or stop for any reason.

That may work if you are kiting with your shield up. But most current content doesn't have alot of kiting.

In many boss battles like orcus it would hardly activate at all, unless you strafed side to side the whole time. That should be pretty annoying.

Even then, it would stop every time you activate anything. Not a useful ring for a GF.

If you want more DR use Sudden or Rising Defense. I prefer Sudden.

2) "Is it useful to push above 80% DR?"

Possibly. Depends on how/where you play.

There is no cap on DR. There's just situational maximal utility.

Just think of who you are fighting and ask: Is their "resistance ignored" higher then my DR?

If no, you are fine. If yes, more DR would help.

Most PvE mobs and bosses (with notable exceptions) cannot ignore resistance above 80%.

So having more DR will not help you.

But in PvP anyone can potentially ignore resistance >80% and can lower your defense.

If you PvP alot you definitely would benefit from > 80%.

My main is PvE. I am 75% at rest/engagement and jump to 90-96% in combat depending on proc overlap (Bonding, Underdark ring, KV, Negation, etc). I've seen others with much higher, but I feel safe.

Dread4moor hit the nail on the head.

If I owned one, I would personally use it, as it would be nice for when you're shifting into position, but your Bondings aren't up (for reference, my DR without Bondings is around 45-50%, so an extra 30% to get into position would be great).

• micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User

There is no cap on DR. There's just situational maximal utility.
    Just think of who you are fighting and ask: Is their "resistance ignored" higher then my DR?
    If no, you are fine. If yes, more DR would help.
    Most PvE mobs and bosses (with notable exceptions) cannot ignore resistance above 80%.
    So having more DR will not help you.
    But in PvP anyone can potentially ignore resistance >80% and can lower your defense.
    If you PvP alot you definitely would benefit from > 80%.

My main is PvE. I am 75% at rest/engagement and jump to 90-96% in combat depending on proc overlap (Bonding, Underdark ring, KV, Negation, etc). I've seen others with much higher, but I feel safe.

Just for clarification:

DR has an effective cap and it's 80%. even if you have 100% DR you will still be limited to 80% and get hit for the 20%.

The question is, if your effectiveDR is at 80%, and it will be:
    effectiveDR = DR - enemyArP

If it's above 80% your capped and wasting DR, if not you can still add more if you want.
    Enemy ArP in PvE is considered to be somewhere 5%-15% so effectively you can get 95% as semi useful DR, above that in PvE is a loss of stats, because again, for example:
    120% (DR) - 15% (MobArP) = 105% effective -> 80% in practice because of the cap.

• sulajplsulajpl Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    @dread4moor , thanks for the answer. In PvE, having my 76.6% DR using that ring won't be useful. In that case.
    Thanks much once again!

P.S.
    While speedrunning elol as a KV tank, I keep moving, even circle mobs when my mates do the dps job ^^.