test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Suggestion: A professions "taskmaster"

I know it doesn't reflect well on me that I'm yearning for a middle manager / foreman to delegate things to in a game I play. :) But really, it'd be nice to very slowly reap the benefits of professions without all the fussing over them.

Me flipping between menus, and sometimes going back and forth to the auction house to get the materials, really drives home that this part of the game involves neither dungeons nor dragons, and starts to get to the "spreadsheets... in... spaaaace!" model of other games. I'd prefer to aim my grinding at other parts of the game, not things that don't have me even moving my character around onscreen.

I'm sure Cryptic could balance what a Taskmaster could do for you in such a way that opting to go that route lets it slowly churn in the background, yet someone who knows what they're doing could really squeeze a lot more out of it. Like, Taskmaster will only ever assign the highest-ranking worker possible to a task, and only one of them at that... if you want to get bonuses for assigning additional workers you need to do it by hand.

Taskmaster could be set to some really simple directions, like "progress these professions, in this order, with the resources available". So e.g. if you have the resources to do a task that generates more professions XP for that professions it will do that first... if not, it will do whatever it can afford, like the highest-XP resource gathering.

There could also then be an option where Taskmaster can present some options, e.g. "if you let me go to market to get X resources, I can do Y professions tasks for you and progress that much faster", and the cost of X resources would be same as the default market rates that the game presents to you in the auction house. Taskmaster would then go find the auction that has closest to but not over that amount, for exactly that number of resources (no automated purchases of say a stack of 99 or something). If it couldn't find that exact number you'd need to reach in to buy manually.

Taskmaster could be developed out of the Leadership track, and cost some amount of AD to do your professions for you. It'd be a daily thing to check in on, like VIP rewards.

Perhaps a high enough level guild would let Taskmaster draw from guild resources, and/or be paid in guild marks instead of AD.

Comments

• speedokillzspeedokillz Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    The fact that it has been acknowledged by the Devs that they only want AD earned by "playing the game" so was removed from professions makes me believe this is a reasonable quality of life request...

Professions are not "playing the game" so it should be easier and less tedious to progress?
  • zephyriahzephyriah Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,980 Arc User

Professions are not "playing the game" so it should be easier and less tedious to progress?

Yeah, but not like this. It fear it would be more benefit to the botters. Creating a single point to control multiple tasks would seem to be a bad idea.

Streamlining professions is a good idea, but perhaps in a different way. Things like "collect all", repeat task buttons, could be helpful to players, yet not as big a help to botters as they would still require multiple inputs.

• spoomeister#9137 spoomeister Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    zephyriah said:

Yeah, but not like this. It fear it would be more benefit to the botters. Creating a single point to control multiple tasks would seem to be a bad idea.

Streamlining professions is a good idea, but perhaps in a different way. Things like "collect all", repeat task buttons, could be helpful to players, yet not as big a help to botters as they would still require multiple inputs.

The botters is something I hadn't thought of, good point. I'd think a random challenge question from time to time might help deter that, or having to go re-hire them periodically instead of making it a professions item, some other gating factor. It could also be nerfed down so that getting a profession past say level 19, or opening more than say 6 or 7 slots through these, isn't able to be done through it.

Perhaps also, in parallel to this, one could purchase lvl 20 or lvl 25 in a given profession (the "core" professions, not things like max level of Black Ice Shaping or the professions that go with events). You'd buy it with Zen the same way you can purchase campaign completion, at somewhat comparable prices. Heck, even make it so that anyone who sells an item made via a profession bought this way gets an extra % tax taken out of it in the AH, so that there's that much more incentive and reward for people who grinded (ground? grinded?) a profession to 20 instead of P2W approach.
  • mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User
    A method for getting the most from tasks during shorter spells of downtime would be great.
    I'm not talking about queue lists for days on end, but something to cover off one tasks worth of time.

The tasks I'm looking at are the "Deep Wilderness Gathering" type where you send them off for four or five hours, maybe overnight. So when you come back the next day, unless you set an alarm clock for 3.00am, they've been idle for hours.

Allowing them to double up (ONLY two... not a full blown 24 hr queue list) during down time would make life easier.

Zeph's suggestion of a repeat button would achieve this easily and would probably be easy to implement. With a repeat button on each task and a "Repeat All" option to tick all 9 at once.
  • sundance777sundance777 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    Repeat button would be cool! As long as I would not accidentally click it after accidentally clicking finish task for AD :)

I agree the interface is a bit tedious for console and while a task master would be nice, I understand too that they probably want to minimize the automation of professions for the botting aspect.

I click through my professions manually and diligently on 4 toons twice a day, feels like work instead of fun so maybe there is an option that would get me off the professions screen and into a dungeon!

Maybe there can be a default task where it slowly chips away at something nominal so if your guys go out on a four hour cruise and you don't log for 6 hours, they spend the idle two hours chipping away at a task like making campaign currency or gold or guild marks...idk something that wont break the economy but may be of use to players and the game.
    TR - Sun: 16000 IL
    OP - Sunshine: 16000 IL

Casual Dailies
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    This has been asked for before, several times, and they won't do it. It would make botters even more profitable.

At this point, they need to completely overhaul all professions, and make them something that assists gameplay, not dramatically impacts it. They have largely fixed that with their nerfs to AD and the closure of the gateway. What is left is a mind numbingly boring crafting system that makes little sense in the grand scheme of things.

Want to craft some potions? Sweet. Start by scavenging for the ingredients (5m per task). Do this a few times and you now can do another task to refine those ingredients. Do that for half an hour and you can now start crafting a potion (not a batch of them or a stack, a....single...potion). A little while later, you have one potion. WOOT....Click, use, gone. Yay?

Rinse, Repeat for almost every profession. Mastercraft? Good concept, poorly implemented. Now instead of waiting 5 minutes for your resource, you have to run around an area and grab them (hopefully the right ones). Then craft several somethings with a low chance of success, so that you can try to craft a big something with a low chance of success...so that you can craft a super rare something.....so that you can craft a slightly better potion. Yay?

Sea of Moving Ice will require professions...yay? Oh, you just have to collect drops from the area and then put them together. I don't know if I've seen a great, fun, interactive crafting process, but I'm sure this isn't it.

ANYWAYS, a taskmaster would equalize the field a bit against botters. But I doubt they will ever do this without essentially making the professions worthless in themselves.
  • sundance777sundance777 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    I don't think we have a bot problem on Xbox, but I could be wrong. The main issue on xbox is the interactions with some screens are a pretty big chore with no point and click, it is the PC equivalent of having to hit tab, tab, tab to navigate a screen. And while it would be nice to get something for nothing, you are right, that does not make a good deal of sense.
    TR - Sun: 16000 IL
    OP - Sunshine: 16000 IL

Casual Dailies