test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Am I gated if I don't fish?

shmoodleshmoodle Member Posts: 32 Arc User
I hated fishing in EQ1 and I've continued to skip that part of the game in any MMO I've played since. Is it a gate, must one fish to continue progressing?

I've fished in Lonelywood but now that I'm in Sea of Moving Ice and tried fishing I just can't see me doing those quests.

Comments

• kangkeokkangkeok Member Posts: 1,123 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    U can buy treasure map. They gives u loads of fish including purple fish most the time. The rate of getting is high that many people cross their finger not to get fish.
  • shmoodleshmoodle Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    What is the name of them? Is that the Map in a Bottle I see in the auction house?

I wish I would have tried fishing before I bought zen over the weekend, I might have ended up in a different game. I only started playing in August and I love the game, but this fishing stuff might be the breaking point.
    Yup its called map in a bottle. But i suggest u at least try the 200 fishing daily quest. Its the cheapest route and It only takes like 15min just like any quest. If u are lucky, u get to earn a bottle during it.
    Thanks. I tried four times and I caught nothing, if I can progress without fishing I will continue to play. I play games for the dungeons and heroic encounters. As long as I can do the faction quests I am absolutely fine skipping fishing. If I can't, well, you will be top of my list when I start giving stuff away before I go. Thanks again.
  • nic1985nic1985 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 415 Arc User
    There is an occasional daily quest you have to fish in weight "0/200", this would hinder your progression if you don't complete it. Fish from bottles don't add to this quest, at least not for me.

Fishing is "fun" in Sea of Moving Ice, since it is more interactive. Designated fishing spots are the way to get high ranking fish, blue circle areas with fish and birds in the air.

Below is a fishing 101 post that helps me a lot when i started questing in SOMI.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/comment/12908788
  • forumnamesuxsforumnamesuxs Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 490 Arc User
    @shmoodle
    Are you fishing in appropriate fishing spots, identified by lit up circles with seagulls flying in circles over it?
    If not, you'll only get rank 1 quality fish.

If you want to open all three chests in Svardborg, you either need elk tribe support bonuses, which are earned by delivering fish to the fishmongerer in the elk tribe camp, or you can get legendary dragon keys from the zen store. So, if you don't want to buy those keys, but want to upgrade the weapons from SoMI, you need to hand in fish, either caught by yourself, or from treasure chests (map in a bottle).
    This map should make it a bit easier to find a suitable location, but do note that each spot is not always active, so you might still have to sail around a little bit to find an active spot:
    http://i.imgur.com/212JZbs.png
    Wolves, big as a horse! I need new pants!

Now that i think of it, actually fishing is not very much need to progress the campaign. it is just needed to get key for mark from the new epic trial chest to progress ur relic weapon refinement. But after that, u dont even have to fish anymore. If they were to make those mark unbound, nope u will never need to fish. We could get SVA running in the alliance and farm them up for those who need them.
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    There's one quest for fishing. You can skip it, but you can't finish that day's daily until the next day, so it will put you behind.

Sorry to hear you bought zen. Shouldn't have done that - NW is not worth paying for. It's THE BEST free to play game out there right now, but only if you're playing it for free. Hold onto to your money until Cryptic makes the game worth paying for again.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User
    I don't like fishing but it is not as bad as I thought. For the 200 fish weight quest, I got 200 in 10 minutes including one map and one open-able VI fish last night. I did not even plan to do that quest but I came across a fishing spot when I was on the way to do other quest.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    Even if you don't like fishing that much, that daily quest isn't too odious. Anyway, it's no worse than any of the other grinders. At least you don't have giant crabs popping up randomly and pinching your booty like you do in Lonelywood.
    edited November 2016
    kvet said:

Even if you don't like fishing that much, that daily quest isn't too odious. Anyway, it's no worse than any of the other grinders. At least you don't have giant crabs popping up randomly and pinching your booty like you do in Lonelywood.

Just don't fish in the fishing HE. That is worse than crabs in Lonelywood.
    I used more health potion in that fishing spot (I did not know better) than I use for a month.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    "Caught nothing" indicates you are tapping the QER keys, not holding them down.

You will slow your progression by skipping the daily quest to catch 200 units of fish, since each day of progression requires that you complete three quests, and there are only three valid quests per day in SoMI. So each time you skip this, you're putting yourself a day behind, but it's not the end of the world. I usually get a few bottles in the course of doing this quest, so I think it's really worth it.

Everything material that you get from fishing can be bought. The chest that opens with Elk Tribe support can be opened with a Zen key instead of campaign credits.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    I sorry, but as I read more and more about fishing in D&D, I am trying to envision my younger self in the 1980's sitting at the kitchen table. My husband is the dungeon master and he looks down at the game notes as he begins, "You are traveling through the dark forest and emerge upon a lake. There is a boat here and a strange man tells you to go fishing for rainbow trout to continue."
    We all sit about tossing dice the remainder of the evening for 8 hours and call it a night. Would you really call it an entertaining evening? I believe had my husband done this the night we met, I would have left his house thinking what a dull jerk he was and glad never to return.

I won't rain on your fun, enjoy your fishing. <3
    wb-cenders.gif
    Thanks everyone, for your input. I really do appreciate it. I am in a guild, but lately there's been very little traffic and when I found myself frustrated with fishing I came here.

I am a serious gamer, end game is where I want to be in anything I play. I don't do fluff quests or events (though that summon a feast table item I may have to relent whenever it comes around). I set a $100 a month budget for gaming and this is the only one I'm playing at the moment so it's all spent here. I really don't mind spending the money, I feel I'm supporting development of a game I like and it helps support others, with the same hobby as mine, who may not be able to afford it.

The weekend sale I spent more than a hundred so I really hope fishing isn't the block that causes me enough frustration to pack up and move on. I've always worked in a high stress environment and games help relieve that - if I run into a road block, it's just better that I move on, rather than be stressed with my de-stresser.

I will continue on, and see how far I can get without fishing. I bought one bottle to see its contents and it was a treasure map. I haven't done anything with it but the price of the bottle probably was more than the treasure will be. I don't gamble in real life and I'm certainly not going to be buying any more bottles, at the price they are, gambling on a chance they contain the fish I need.

Thanks again, hopefully I will see you around Neverwinter but I think I will start researching my next diversion, just in case. When a game isn't fun anymore, which equates to fishing for me, it's time to move on.
  • sigillmacfinnsigillmacfinn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 111 Arc User
    I thought that fishing would be awful but its actually kind of relaxing to not have to just kill another X amount of monsters & some of the refining items that drop from the maps are well worth collecting [especially during the last x2 RP event] so my advice is "don't give up on it - use it as a diversion as it will lead to more exciting stuff in the expansion"

And I even managed to catch them all in just over a week so its not too hard to get lots of fish & the rewards boxes filled ready for the skirmish :)
    ..... rolling 1's for over 25 years .....

The Harbingers' Forums - What Class Are You - Search The Neverwinter Wiki

• coldfire473coldfire473 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 16 Arc User
    shmoodle said:

I hated fishing in EQ1 and I've continued to skip that part of the game in any MMO I've played since. Is it a gate, must one fish to continue progressing?

I've fished in Lonelywood but now that I'm in Sea of Moving Ice and tried fishing I just can't see me doing those quests.

You will have to fish to 200 weight of fish at least once, since it's part of the initial progression line. After that, you won't have any requirement to fish, though you will be slowing down your progression through the campaign a bit and you'll have to either get chests for fish or Legendary Dragon Keys to open the Elk chest in SVA if you want to upgrade your SOMI weapon.

You will have to fish to 200 weight of fish at least once

I am relatively certain the non-repeatable version of this quest is a much smaller quantity, just enough to introduce the concept. It resolves quite fast.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• litaaerslitaaers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 871 Arc User
    kalindra said:

Once again - this is subject to the broken RNG they implemented here.
    So while some get's rich very fast, others take an hour or two just to get their 200 fish-point for the daily, getting maybe two or three bottles along the way, with map leading them to treasure chest full of worthless fish; and without luck with the chests, these people are stuck with basic poles and kayaks, which means they will be unable to catch good fish and get done with it fast and miss out most of the HEs.

If it's taking an hour (nevermind two) to catch 200 weight of fish, you must be doing something wrong.
    Even at the 10 weight Level 1 fish, you can catch 500-600 weight in an hour.
  • qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User
    litaaers said:

kalindra said:

So while some get's rich very fast, others take an hour or two just to get their 200 fish-point for the daily, getting maybe two or three bottles along the way, with map leading them to treasure chest full of worthless fish; and without luck with the chests, these people are stuck with basic poles and kayaks, which means they will be unable to catch good fish and get done with it fast and miss out most of the HEs.

If it's taking an hour (nevermind two) to catch 200 weight of fish, you must be doing something wrong.
    Not quite accurate. In a fishing Hot Spot a Level 1 fish is only worth 7 weight. 10 is for Tier II. 20 with Tier III. 30 for Tier IV and 100 for a Tier V. One minor drawback with landing a bottle is it is only worth 2. These weights only apply in a Hot Spot, in open water Tier Is and IIs are worth less and the others cannot be caught.

qexotic said:

One minor drawback with landing a bottle is it is only worth 2.

"Game, it is really lovely of you to decide that I deserve to catch so many bottles right now, but... it is not helping with my quest, and I only have 20 minutes before daily reset. Sob."

Neverwinter Census 2017

edited December 2016
    kalindra said:

litaaers said:

kalindra said:

Well, first you have to find a fishing spot, sailing across tha map without markings in you slow basic kayak,
    then you have to fish, mostly whites, with only give 1 or 2 points of fish each; then you're worms run out so you use krill, which often triggers two bugs, so you have to relogg several times until that works or travel back to the trader to buy more worms; but after that, your fishing spot has vanished and you start again searching for another one...
    ...so, yes, an hour is not a bad time.
    If two players start together, by the time the fisher (basic rod and boat) ist done, the other has done all weeklies (except WoD and Mod10) with a DD toon, or is done involking (twice), doing all professions, and all stronghold influence (2-3 HEs) farming on 6 toons.
    May be I am lucky. For me, there is always a fishing spot next to the camp except I don't like to fish there.
    If you do regular (non-fishing) quests there, you have tons of krill. For those who does not like fishing, they will have even more in stock like hundreds. I did buy load of worms but I only used that may be 10 times (mainly by mistake).

In addition, I don't look for the fishing spot. I do other quests and if I see a fishing spot (that I like) on the path, I may fish there.
    qexotic said:

litaaers said:

kalindra said:

Not quite accurate. In a fishing Hot Spot a Level 1 fish is only worth 7 weight. 10 is for Tier II. 20 with Tier III. 30 for Tier IV and 100 for a Tier V. One minor drawback with landing a bottle is it is only worth 2. These weights only apply in a Hot Spot, in open water Tier Is and IIs are worth less and the others cannot be caught.

Thank you, I stand corrected. I was assuming all gray fish were 10, except the clam. (Needless to say, I did not do *actual* research before I opened my virtual mouth. :/
    kalindra said:

litaaers said:

kalindra said:

Well, first you have to find a fishing spot, sailing across tha map without markings in you slow basic kayak,
    then you have to fish, mostly whites, with only give 1 or 2 points of fish each; then you're worms run out so you use krill, which often triggers two bugs, so you have to relogg several times until that works or travel back to the trader to buy more worms; but after that, your fishing spot has vanished and you start again searching for another one...
    ...so, yes, an hour is not a bad time.
    If two players start together, by the time the fisher (basic rod and boat) ist done, the other has done all weeklies (except WoD and Mod10) with a DD toon, or is done involking (twice), doing all professions, and all stronghold influence (2-3 HEs) farming on 6 toons.
    Well, if you're gonna change the conditions of the experiment......
  • coldfire473coldfire473 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 16 Arc User

You will have to fish to 200 weight of fish at least once

I am relatively certain the non-repeatable version of this quest is a much smaller quantity, just enough to introduce the concept. It resolves quite fast.

I yeah, I do believe you are right. Good catch!
  • arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    im on a mmo to kill monters or pvp not to fishing till my fingers burn, so gl @criptic @mimicking#6533 @pwi @arc good job on ruining the game
  • lyaiselyaise Member Posts: 491 Arc User
    arcanjo86 said:

im on a mmo to kill monters or pvp not to fishing till my fingers burn, so gl @criptic @mimicking#6533 @pwi @arc good job on ruining the game

Agree with this sentiment, if fishing has now become a 'must do' to progress then for me it's the end of the progress.

Fishing I put with the other gathering/crafting options in a game. Some people play that side of an mmo and good for them, but it should never be a forced-to-progress action.

There must be duller things in an action mmo than having your character sitting in a boat, hold a stick - again and again and again. But at the moment I'm struggling to think of them - although maybe watching a 1 hour log in queue everyday would take it.
    ...............vote for your favourite expansion..........
    "Mod 6. Oh my f****** god. It gutted the game pure and simple. And what wasn't gutted was messed up by the poorly thought out new level cap and equip. The game never recovered from that atrocity".
    ..............not this one then.............