test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Mod 16 PvE Washed Up Fighter Tank Guide

Comments

• rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User

I noticed you didnt touch on the Transcendant Feytouched enchantment any thoughts on using this?

Im starting to gear up my tank and he is currently using the Vorpal but my crit rate only sits around 30% so im thinking to switch.. I run 15 conq points for jagged blades, rest is all Tact tree, along with all hp/power/crit artifacts and some demo/lostm equipment.

My dps isnt too bad, certainly having fun with the super fast WMS so I think a dmg buffing enchantment like vorpal or feytouched might suit me better than a debuffer?

Lederp I actually just realized T. Feytouched existed today when I was viewing the rage on the Paladin fourms (what's even worse is that my Tankadin runs a T. Feytouched, so I should have remembered the pixie dust enchant existed).

Now that I am not going senile (my old man is cackling in the background about me forgetting things) I would totally reccomend Feytouched for a Tactician GF, although I'm sure you're quite aware of the typical caveats like the downtime if not Transcendent and the stupid "only one person can run the Feytouched buff at a time" (I don't know if multiple players can apply the Feytouched debuff though).

If your Crit chance climbs any higher (I recall 57% is when T. Fey and Vorpal are roughly equal. Could be wrong. Edgy @thefabricant, is 57% the critchance for when Fey is roughly equal to Vorpal?), I would suggest going for a Transcendent Vorpal.

*Note to self: must create in a section on Feytouched when not writing essays.*

• speedokillzspeedokillz Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Great guide and I appreciate the time and thoughtfulness of your explanations.

Here is what I think I understand about our class/paragon:
    *Deflect seems to become less valuable as we stack Defense and Hit Points.
    *Deflecting attacks means that you are not taking that damage at all. EDIT: Just learned that when a Deflect is successful, damage is reduced to half... If I remember, the Blue Stronghold dragon was AoE'ing for 180,000 and pretty much wiping everyone out. Even if I survived with by deflecting 90k, I'm probably respawning in a few more seconds anyway.
    *Taking damage increases AP gain for us and allies.
    *Aggro enemies to attack us is one of the most important things we can be doing.
    *Doing damage increases the Aggro.

Wouldn't it makes some sense to roll with the offensive campaign boons whenever we have the choice between them and Deflect while letting the Deflect just come to us?

Thank you again for your time and effort.

EDIT: So the 3 Boons that I am curious about swaping out are the Sharandar T2 (+400 Crit Strike), Dread Ring T3 (+3% Resistance Ignored), and ToD T2 ( +400 Crit Strike).
    Post edited by speedokillz on

Great guide and I appreciate the time and thoughtfulness of your explanations.

Here is what I think I understand about our class/paragon:
    *Deflect seems to become less valuable as we stack Defense and Hit Points.
    *Deflecting attacks means that you are not taking that damage at all. EDIT: Just learned that when a Deflect is successful, damage is reduced to half... If I remember, the Blue Stronghold dragon was AoE'ing for 180,000 and pretty much wiping everyone out. Even if I survived with by deflecting 90k, I'm probably respawning in a few more seconds anyway.
    *Taking damage increases AP gain for us and allies.
    *Aggro enemies to attack us is one of the most important things we can be doing.
    *Doing damage increases the Aggro.

Wouldn't it makes some sense to roll with the offensive campaign boons whenever we have the choice between them and Deflect while letting the Deflect just come to us?

Thank you again for your time and effort.

EDIT: So the 3 Boons that I am curious about swaping out are the Sharandar T2 (+400 Crit Strike), Dread Ring T3 (+3% Resistance Ignored), and ToD T2 ( +400 Crit Strike).

Unless I have been extremely unlucky in all my Deflect rolls, I think the Blue Dragonflight Dragon AoE is unmitigateable, meaning no amount of Deflect will save you.

In regards to picking up Deflect in the boons: Deflect is decent at a defensive stat, but given how there's only a limited amount of boons, enchantments and slots we can get, we are forced to pick which defensive stats give us our best returns on investment, and Defense, HP, and Lifesteal tend to give better returns on investment.

If you're wondering why I pick Deflect over an offensive oriented boon, it's because I know my deeps is HAMSTER. So I'm choosing between picking augmenting my really poor offense or between slightly improving my overall defenses.

I would rather chose the small, if marginal increase to the stat area that matters most to me, my defensive stats. However, if the offensive stat in question is ArmorPen versus Deflect, then I would pick the ArmorPen... unless I'm already rolling at 59.5%, where Deflect becomes the slightly better choice to ensure I'm not wasting any stats.

My section on boons is only a suggestion for what you can do with your GF: if you want the extra offense, go for it, it's your GF!

Doing extra damage does increase your aggro, but as bdug pointed out on a PS4 thread, that doing DPS is not the only way to generate aggro. I usually do not struggle in the aggro department, with the one exception of losing aggro to defender pets.

EDIT: As for your specific question on the 3 offensive oriented boons: ArmorPen is nice if not capped, but I would advise against the Crit since 800 Crit is only around 2% Crit chance, which is insignificant for increasing our damage/aggro.

You have the part about taking damage correct, but don't get overzealous in trying to generate AP, as a dead GF cannot generate any AP and cannot ensure the team's safety.

• jackharper#1224 jackharper Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    Hi again
    Your are sure Frost Weapon Enchantments give 7% defense debuff on target? and Lightning increase agro?
    edited November 2016

Hi again
    Your are sure Frost Weapon Enchantments give 7% defense debuff on target? and Lightning increase agro?

If you want to be technical, Lightning doesn't have any "+Threat Generated bonuses". However, Lightning helps you aggro things in that it's constantly arcing, meaning you are constantly hitting things (as you know, damage is related to aggro) as well as getting that 10% Aggro threshold.

A Pure or Transcendent Frost, since Mod10, should be a 7% defense debuff, but is currently bugged in that the debuff increases with your Power and/or buffs.

Also, when I mean Defense debuff, I mean "separate category from most debuffs and Ambush/Dreadtheft/Quarry". Examples of Defense debuffs include the Sellsword/Con Artist's debuff as well as the Dancing Shield debuff.

Defense debuffs do not mean "reducing a enemy PvPer's Defense stat by 7%. PvP debuffs are something totally different.

@rjc9000 Last time I tested United in module 9 it acted same as Daunting Challenge. Applies to your allies AND YOURSELF.

P.S. Daunting Challenge stacks for each mark.

With this information in mind, why would anyone take Shield Defense for 2.5% DR if you can have 5% DR for your whole team AND yourself?

... That's actually a good point.

United and Daunting Challenge both work on yourself as well as the team, that is very true.

The reason why I didn't recommend United was because I was thinking about it in terms of a team boost rather than a boost for the GF; 5% DR for most PvE players is useless (useless on CWs/TRs/most DCs/most HRs and is is only minorly helpful on a GWF/OP/another GF). I also failed to consider the fact that not everyone has 95% DR like I do, which is why I wrote off the feat as useless.

Also, according to @thefabricant's and @michela123's tests, only one mark effect can be active at one time, so only one effect of Daunting Challenge can be up on an enemy at a time. Could be wrong though.

Thanks for the tip! It will be rolled into a future update... when I'm not being CC'd by school. <_<

• schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    I run tactitian for some month and went Daunting Challenge+united, wich worked pretty good, also run 95% DR and dancing shield, nice setup.
    But recently I checked my act locks for an FBI and CN run.
    The overall AP gain from MM capstone for a DC during the hole run was about 4-5%, same for a warlock... a bit depressing that moment. So I turned my back on tactitian and went conqueror for some selfish damage.
    The damage has risen a bit compared to my former build tactitian/conquerer (26/15), now conquerer/tactitian 26/15 tank spec (Crushing Pin, Fight on, Daunting Challenge)
    I don´t know exactly how good inspiring leader and rousing speech is compared to my personal dps gain, maybe all in all it is less benefitial for the group, maybe it equals out.
    Nice to know about those marks and Daunting Challenge, @xsayajinx1 is IV conquerer as far as I remember, thy for sharing that info.
    Would be interesting if double mark from tab + enforced threat also benefits from that feature.
    Maybe I am wrong but IV last time I run can triple mark by Tab+ET+threatening rush, depending on the order you apply those marks.
    I hated that TR animation, wich always made me stuck in that animation not able to block precisely, really annoying, so I went back to SM.
    Frontline surge can mark too with feature, never checked if " quaddro mark" is possible --> 40% DR from 4 marks = invulnerable party :)

Post edited by schietindebux on

I run tactitian for some month and went Daunting Challenge+united, wich worked pretty good, also run 95% DR and dancing shield, nice setup.
    But recently I checked my act locks for an FBI and CN run.
    The overall AP gain from MM capstone for a DC during the hole run was about 4-5%, same for a warlock... a bit depressing that moment. So I turned my back on tactitian and went conqueror for some selfish damage.
    The damage has risen a bit compared to my former build tactitian/conquerer (26/15), now conquerer/tactitian 26/15 tank spec (Crushing Pin, Fight on, Daunting Challenge)
    I don´t know exactly how good inspiring leader and rousing speech is compared to my personal dps gain, maybe all in all it is less benefitial for the group, maybe it equals out.
    Nice to know about those marks and Daunting Challenge, @xsayajinx1 is IV conquerer as far as I remember, thy for sharing that info.
    Would be interesting if double mark from tab + enforced threat also benefits from that feature.
    Maybe I am wrong but IV last time I run can triple mark by Tab+ET+threatening rush, depending on the order you apply those marks.
    I hated that TR animation, which always made me stuck in that animation not able to block precisely, really annoying, so I went back to SM.
    Frontline surge can mark too with feature, never checked if " quaddro mark" is possible --> 40% DR from 4 marks = invulnerable party :)

*_*

Not DR! Damage mitigation source! Which is usually much better for the team than giving them DR!

(Also, yeah, Martial Mastery doesn't make up much of my team's AP gain either. But I'm a boring sod, so I continue to play the turtle GF.)

• wilbur626wilbur626 Member Posts: 1,019 Arc User
    Regarding GF gloves with recovery : Prestige has it :)
    Elite Whaleboy
    edited November 2016
    wilbur626 said:

Thanks for the tip! I just realized that PvP Armor exists.

But seriously, HAMSTER doing PvP.

(No offense to any PvPers out there.)

rjc9000 said:

wilbur626 said:

I've been running PvP dailies from stronghold just to get the Prestige helm + gloves, combining them with dusk chest + boots. I find this to be a cheap and easily obtainable setup compared to the elemental pieces in your guide. (Playing on PS4, not maxed Black Ice Shaping for the elemental gear yet)

Your guide is awesome btw, and I love running the build :)
    Elite Whaleboy
    wilbur626 said:

rjc9000 said:

wilbur626 said:

I've been running PvP dailies from stronghold just to get the Prestige helm + gloves, combining them with dusk chest + boots. I find this to be a cheap and easily obtainable setup compared to the elemental pieces in your guide. (Playing on PS4, not maxed Black Ice Shaping for the elemental gear yet)

Thanks for making my guide more comprehensive! :smiley:

I understand that Elemental stuff is lots of hard work for little gain; I myself am running the Dragonflight Ward Armor without Blice Upgrading it due to being lazy, even though I reccomend it.

But someone, somewhere, is going to want to make it, so I decided to include Elemental Armors anyways.

The PvP Arms thing will be rolling out in a future update, coming Soon(tm).

rjc9000 said:

wilbur626 said:

rjc9000 said:

wilbur626 said:

Thanks for making my guide more comprehensive! :smiley:

I understand that Elemental stuff is lots of hard work for little gain; I myself am running the Dragonflight Ward Armor without Blice Upgrading it due to being lazy, even though I reccomend it.

But someone, somewhere, is going to want to make it, so I decided to include Elemental Armors anyways.

The PvP Arms thing will be rolling out in a future update, coming Soon(tm).
    Make sure to note that the Prestige Raid Helm should be in there aswell as it has +2k hp and +90 defense compared to the Dusk Raid helm. The 54 recovery you have to trade for those improvements are worth it imho. Compared to the Elemental Elven Assault helm its +1,7k hp, +350 power, +70 defense and -373 recovery, so the choice between these two would be a high ilvl min/max descision...
    Elite Whaleboy
  • swapilotswapilot Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    Excellent guide. I just wanted you to know that I am having a blast with this build!
  • superkwstarassuperkwstaras Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    So, do youy think the Valhalla set is the best choice for buff/debuff GF? I mean some people say the stats are not the best, but if i take DR to 95% i think there won't be any problem.
  • jackharper#1224 jackharper Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    In my opinion all set are weak.
  • superkwstarassuperkwstaras Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    You think that for a buffer/debuffer tank a debuff set is weak? I am saying that i am considering that set if i first reach 95% DR and enough HP.

So, do youy think the Valhalla set is the best choice for buff/debuff GF? I mean some people say the stats are not the best, but if i take DR to 95% i think there won't be any problem.

You think that for a buffer/debuffer tank a debuff set is weak? I am saying that i am considering that set if i first reach 95% DR and enough HP.

Kept you waiting, huh? ahh Metal Gear...

I agree with Jackharper, as most of the set bonuses in this game fall under the "good set bonus meh stats" (Orcus), decent set bonus decent stats (Losty, Valhalla, or Lathander), or "bad set bonus but the set pieces' stats are good" (Imperial Dragon).

Once the GF reaches 95% DR, then the set bonus becomes less about trying to stay alive and more about trying to keep the rest of the team alive via damage debuffs.

As for the stats: the stats on the Valhalla set are "passable", as in "most of the stats are decent, with some exceptions". Since I'm overcapping on DR anyways, the loss in Defense wasn't much of an issue for me. But the set does grant extra Lifesteal, which is a plus (and unlike the lolseldarine set, the Valhalla set actually has a decent set bonus).

If you don't like the damage debuff and want to generate as much AP for your team as possible, you can skip the Valhalla set or try using Knight's Challenge on bosses (2x damage against you, boss deals less damage to teammates, and the boss is locked on to you).

• mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    edited December 2016

http://prnt.sc/di2i0f here is my answer my gf.

dat Lifesteal and Deflect chance...

edited December 2016
    rjc9000 wrote :

"If your Crit chance climbs any higher (I recall 57% is when T. Fey and Vorpal are roughly equal. Could be wrong. Edgy @thefabricant, is 57% the critchance for when Fey is roughly equal to Vorpal?), I would suggest going for a Transcendent Vorpal."

Is it only me, or isnt Vorpal mentioned at all in the compendium ? Why would GF use vorpal over Fey ?
    Elite Whaleboy
    wilbur626 said:

rjc9000 wrote :

"If your Crit chance climbs any higher (I recall 57% is when T. Fey and Vorpal are roughly equal. Could be wrong. Edgy @thefabricant, is 57% the critchance for when Fey is roughly equal to Vorpal?), I would suggest going for a Transcendent Vorpal."

Is it only me, or isnt Vorpal mentioned at all in the compendium ? Why would GF use vorpal over Fey ?

No, that is correct, Vorpal is not mentioned.

For a pure Tactician GF, there's no reason to use a Vorpal at all. We have no Crit chance and we're not trying to do damage, so there's no reason to reccomend it. I "could" reccomend it over a Transcendent Terror, as (sadly) even a Trancendent Vorpal debuffs slightly better than a T. Terror. But it might give some Tactician GFs the wrong idea about the class, so I'd rather avoid mentioning Vorpal.

I reccomended Feytouched becuase it debuffs foe damage (which is nice for us and our team).

If you're playing a (PvE) Conq GF, that's when you'd consider Vorpal.

The person I was replying to was a mix of Conq and Tac GF. He obviously wanted some DPS, so I pointed him towards Fey or Vorpal depending on his Crit chance.

That is why I was wondering whether Sharp could confirm on whether 57% Crit chance is roughly where Vorpal and Fey give roughly the same damage boost. I recall reading 57% somewhere, but don't quote me on that.

TL;DR

Feytouched: If you want to debuff foe damage. Alternatively, if you have low crit and want to do DPS.
    Vorpal: If you're running a Crit-based DPS build.

• kemi1984kemi1984 Member Posts: 849 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Guide is great, so appreciate your work on it (and some other folks you've mentioned as contributors ofc).

Came back after a longer break, and when I saw Valhalla set I was really surprised, looks great for a GF on paper.
    I used Seldarine thing (frankly? not sure why lol) set bonus is pathetic but a bit of LS works, right? :)

To the point, price of the full Valhalla set really shows how "many" GF's are out there. I mean the price is so low than it's quite clear game is all about DPS.
    Frankly, I'm a DPS specced GF, and I would LOVE to be a tanky type protecting the team but doing no damage is not fun at all while doing daily stuff.

I can breeze through 3 set of dailies (SOMM, Bryn and Lonely) in less than an hour. Can't imagine to do it as a tanky type.

How do you manage to kill stuff as a Tact?

One thing's certain. As soon as I unlock FBI and SWA (yeah I'm a bit behind) I will switch to a tank/buffer since that's the thing that keeps me going in dungeons.
    Nancy - Dragonborn, SM Guardian Fighter
    A proud member of "mythical horde of DPS GFs"

1). Is SW more dps or tank based?
    2). Yes. I am panzer!
    3). Get ACT if you want to celebrate your epeen.
    4). Horniness will not stand between me and what I believe - "MM"
    kemi1984 said:

Guide is great, so appreciate your work on it (and some other folks you've mentioned as contributors ofc).

Came back after a longer break, and when I saw Valhalla set I was really surprised, looks great for a GF on paper.
    I used Seldarine thing (frankly? not sure why lol) set bonus is pathetic but a bit of LS works, right? :)

To the point, price of the full Valhalla set really shows how "many" GF's are out there. I mean the price is so low than it's quite clear game is all about DPS.
    Frankly, I'm a DPS specced GF, and I would LOVE to be a tanky type protecting the team but doing no damage is not fun at all while doing daily stuff.

I can breeze through 3 set of dailies (SOMM, Bryn and Lonely) in less than an hour. Can't imagine to do it as a tanky type.

One thing's certain. As soon as I unlock FBI and SWA (yeah I'm a bit behind) I will switch to a tank/buffer since that's the thing that keeps me going in dungeons.

You don't. You press ITF and WMS and slowly chip away at mob HP. Actually, when Sea of Moving Ice launched, I had to respec as Conq just to get through the first few days.

The point of the Valhalla set is so true: I can't believe that a Horn of Valhalla, which is a decent artifact, is worth less money than near useless artifacts like Aurora's Whole Realms.

rjc9000 said:

kemi1984 said:

You don't. You press ITF and WMS and slowly chip away at mob HP. Actually, when Sea of Moving Ice launched, I had to respec as Conq just to get through the first few days.

The point of the Valhalla set is so true: I can't believe that a Horn of Valhalla, which is a decent artifact, is worth less money than near useless artifacts like Aurora's Whole Realms.

Yeah, lol...I'm quite sure I bought the whole set for less than 200k which is really really low. DPS, that's all that matters at least majority of the players + the dev's thinks so.

Doing SOMM dailies with nodeeps GF is a masochism. God I would love to have a dual spec option.
    Freaking hell that would be amazing!

I took a look at Commander gear (the waist) and the prices uhm...nope! :)

2). Yes. I am panzer!
  • mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    kemi1984 said:

Annointed army give 100% immunity. WHEN everyone can complete svadbord what did you expect valhala to cost millions? Black ice beholder is more expensive than valhalla .

GF is in better position than any other support when doing dailies quests. HAS the highest weapon damage compare to dc-op and class feats encouraging to do dailies easy.
    kemi1984 said:

rjc9000 said:

kemi1984 said:

Yeah, lol...I'm quite sure I bought the whole set for less than 200k which is really really low. DPS, that's all that matters at least majority of the players + the dev's thinks so.

Doing SOMM dailies with nodeeps GF is a masochism. God I would love to have a dual spec option.
    Freaking hell that would be amazing!

I took a look at Commander gear (the waist) and the prices uhm...nope! :)
    Hmm. I wonder what's going to happen to most peoples' builds when the Loyal gear becomes lost forever...

kemi1984 said:

Annointed army give 100% immunity. WHEN everyone can complete svadbord what did you expect valhala to cost millions? Black ice beholder is more expensive than valhalla .

GF is in better position than any other support when doing dailies quests. HAS the highest weapon damage compare to dc-op and class feats encouraging to do dailies easy.
    Unusually enough, I found that soloing on my OP (Justice Tankadin) and my DC (Righteous AC) were a lot easier than on my GF.

Not sure how my OP is doing fine and my DC has 5 points in Fire of the Gods.

My GF, as my build suggests, has almost nothing in terms of dealing damage. But, hey, I'm done with the SKT junk and never have to solo there ever again (I am so lazy that I'd rather shell out money to buy the Legendary Dragon Keys than do the campaign tasks on my GF)

Pretty much :)

As soon as I'm done with the HAMSTER...I'm going back to support/tank GF.

2). Yes. I am panzer!
  • sulajplsulajpl Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    As far as I'm concerned, Daunting Challenge does only reduce damage dealt by marked targets for yer party members.
    "[...] but You still deal full damage to you."
    That's all I wanted to say...