test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

SW buff: overall disappointment

zeusomzeusom Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 810 Arc User
edited November 2016 in The Nine Hells
The long awaited SW buff was a huge disappointment.
There were as a many de facto nerfs as buffs.

SW damage is still inferior.
Infernal spheres did serve as a good rogue detect but not anymore.
Tyrannical curse is not very useful at all anymore.
Killing flames damage was nerfed (corrected).
Dreadtheft stacking 5x, a major survival tool, was nerfed.
WBargain + Haders grasp stacking was eliminated.

There were some decent buffs but the SW about broke even and was not buffed.
The SW buff is not up to par with the HR buff and SW is still the weakest pvp class.

Consider additional SW buffs so that SW is up to par with the other classes. Please at least put back infernal spheres to autofire in the presence of a stealthed enemy/rogue. The dev that quit (or was fired) that did the SW buffs changed it to fire upon taking dmg and we hate it.

@amenar @asterdahl @terramak @panderus
Sopi (aka Haxbox) SW [Synergy]
Sopi SW Youtube channel pvp brickabrack

Comments

• merhunesdagon1merhunesdagon1 Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    zeusom said:

The SW buff is not up to par with the HR buff and SW is still the weakest pvp class.

Consider additional SW buffs so that SW is up to par with the other classes. Please at least put back infernal spheres to autofire in the presence of a stealthed enemy/rogue. The dev that quit (or was fired) that did the SW buffs changed it to fire upon taking dmg and we hate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DSKviOmITs&t=13s
    with the right setup, sw should be able to hold a node against 2 or 3 enemies...
  • vladious1977vladious1977 Member Posts: 244 Arc User
    edited November 2016

zeusom said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DSKviOmITs&t=13s
    with the right setup, sw should be able to hold a node against 2 or 3 enemies...
    I actually used that set up with a slight change. I went revelry. Instead of kf bull and going down damnation tree. Extra power and healing with 15 points. Just hit 70 so still testing but for me being low gear score might be a better crutch for now. No fey or neg right now atm.
  • They still need to do a lot of work to balance out the class and it's various paths, all they've really done so far is get everyone to drop SB damnation and take up HB fury instead, and that'll probably change to SB fury once the TC changes come in..
  • schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    That Video shows a BIS warlock against whom?. Warlock may be a bit better in PVP but far from the top in PVP and PVE also (except someone found new bug , the class can rely on?)
    I am pretty sure one of the best PVP-locks on PC during the last mods is able to judge about the situation.
    edited November 2016

That Video shows a BIS warlock against whom?. Warlock may be a bit better in PVP but far from the top in PVP and PVE also (except someone found new bug , the class can rely on?)

I am pretty sure one of the best PVP-locks on PC during the last mods is able to judge about the situation.

He actually plays against some of the best of every classes. We cant nuke like a TR or control like a CW but what they do not have is our survivability. All that good old healing we have. If you watch his other videos he shows you how to play. YES he is BIS but he goes up against bis of other classes and sometimes on more than one at a time. I am not a pro. I am just starting and I can see the potential. SW is one of if not the hardest class to play well. THIS is why there is very few best pvp locks. You can not just slap on some daggers like a TR and close your eyes punch the keyboard and win. You have to be very careful you have to plan think a head know how to build what skills to use know every other class inside and out.
  • zeusomzeusom Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 810 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    We will see how it goes with the new weapon meta but..
    The core trouble for the buffed SW pvp is this: Not enough damage.

SB paragon: High survival potential but low damage.. cannot clear bis players.
    HB paragon: Takes a squishy glass cannon build to clear bis players*
    *these builds can be burst killed very easily with the new weapons.

So there's unreasonable either/or trade off between effective levels of damage and survival that is paragon-gated. And this seems fine in principal. All other offense classes have build options available for achieving very effective levels of both survivability and damage/control within a single build. SW does not.

If you want damage that rivals an HR, GF, GWF, CW then you can have it but with much lower survival.
    If you want survivability that rivals defensive HR, GF, GWF, CW you can build it but have no damage.

Such a squishy HB glass cannon build should have stellar, not adequate, damage.
    A survivable SB build should be able to have moderate damage certainly more than it has now.
    The overall damage is still simply too low.
    Post edited by zeusom on

• kallephi#0836 kallephi Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    I was not going to say anything because I know NOTHING about PVP...But then I saw the magical sentence "Warlock may be a bit better in PVP but far from the top in PVP and PVE also (except someone found new bug , the class can rely on?)"

PVE included. Far from top in PVE? Maybe someone who doesn't know how to play a SW.
    Ly'saaera, Hellbringer Fury Scourge Warlock of Thieves World
    Hælja, Swordmaster Conqueror Guardian Fighter of Thieves World
    edited November 2016
    About PVP it is like above , too low DPS as SB.
    To get a comparison to GWF and CW it is needed to run against a skilled player , so far i did not see a single Video showing a good performing GWF against a warlock at BIS or a CW.
    Those player are rare, show that Video against a known top GWF and all be good. Let's say you ask Lazalia or Lia Knowles for an FBI run , that would be acceptable in my eyes.
    I can't accept a comment linke "I run against that BIS, GWF, CW, Hunter and beat him once , twice or three times"
    Not to forget that a big chunk oft DPS is done by a bugged companion.
  • d4rkh0rs3d4rkh0rs3 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    You dont need infernal spheres to fire at rogues. That is so mod 9.

To mitigate TRs, continue moving to not get locked in the middle of a smoke bomb and use your 1 second immunity frame to survive a SE. If you cant dodge, you will need enough HP to survive their attack.

If you cant stack 160k+ HP, you can choose to equip a ring of vision and/or use dreadtheft in place of infernal spheres. Alternative options are Trans Feytouched and Warding Curse if youre able to target the rogue before it hits you.

Be thankful infernal spheres is what it is now, because it is still useful against TRs and more useful in mod 10 against GFs.
    @merhunesdagon1 with all due respect, your opponents are not the slightest bit skilled. Not a good representation of SW in 'midgame' or 'endgame' PvP.
    edited November 2016

To get a comparison to GWF and CW it is needed to run against a skilled player , so far i did not see a single Video showing a good performing GWF against a warlock at BIS or a CW.

Those player are rare, show that Video against a known top GWF and all be good. Let's say you ask Lazalia or Lia Knowles for an FBI run , that would be acceptable in my eyes.

I can't accept a comment linke "I run against that BIS, GWF, CW, Hunter and beat him once , twice or three times"

So do you think Im saying this by comparing with HAMSTER players? Man. First. My owlbear is 15% of my dps.
    Second, I always compare with 4.2+ GWFS. I don't want to say their names because it would sound cocky.
    I ran a master SVA yesterday with this GWF you are saying and I outdpsed her. Ok, but you will say it's a new content, nobody knows how to run, etc.
    Ok.

I'm not saying I win them, I never claimed SW is good because I outdpsed BIS GWFs or CWs. The only thing I said is that I can compete with them. And this is the first time I'm saying I beat a BIS GWF. And yes, I know that means nothing. That doesn't mean I will always beat this person and that I'm better than him/her.
    I'm just saying you are wrong when you say we are far from top.
    To be honest I didn't even know this GWF you are talking about, but I met him/her yesterday.
    The fight didn't end, the boss reset at 5% health because the 4 GWFs in the group couldn't move to runes afraid of losing dps and we all wiped. And they all were 4.1k+
    From my runs what I can tell you is that a BIS GWF can deal 10% more of my dps (sometimes 15%). I'm talking about hard stuff, like FBI and the new master SVA...Not CN, ETOS...you know that in old content wins who's faster, not who's more skilled.
    I have some screenshots and videos. But I don't want to point fingers at players saying I'm better than them. I took screenshots and filmed runs so I can show you guys are all wrong when you say SW suck or that SW are far from top. But I'm not posting them on the forums.

All my mount insignias are green. My brutals are rank 11 and my companion uses brutals rank 7. I don't own a legendary mount.
    I'm far far behind from those BIS people and I can get close to them even though I'm not BIS. I wonder what would happen when I get BIS. So, please. Stop saying SW is far from top because we aren't.

I agree with you and I know there are a lot of BIS players who suck. I totally agree with that, I have that in mind. I don't think I'm good because I outdpsed a 4.3k toon by 50%+ more damage. Actually, If I outdps a 4.2k+ toon by a large amount the only thing that comes to my mind is "this is not a skilled player" or "he/she's drunk"

I don't feel comfortable asking people to run dungeons with me so I can take screenshots and show other people that I won or that I got close. All the runs with good BIS players I had were occasional, they just happened, they were not forced or premade.

I'm totally against ego runs, but, if you don't believe me. Bring the best GWF you know to FBI with me and you will see. They can outdps me, that's for sure. But not for more than 10%.

PS: I'm talking about PVE only.

All my reply could be done in one sentence "We are not far from top and we can compete with other classes"

You failed to watch PavlosT Scourge Warlock other videos when he goes up against 4k+ GWF. He holds his own really good and eventually makes the gwf run off and in one video he actually kills a highly geared gwf in a duel. So your statement holds like no water at all. This kind of blows everything else you say out the water.
    edited November 2016
    d4rkh0rs3 said:

@merhunesdagon1 with all due respect, your opponents are not the slightest bit skilled. Not a good representation of SW in 'midgame' or 'endgame' PvP.

I wish I was pavlosT but sadly I am not. i am not even a pvp player, far from bis, much further than my guildmate, kallephi...I was simply proving that bis sw can hold their own against bis (insert class). I was not even trying to prove that sw are the best in pvp.

You failed to watch PavlosT Scourge Warlock other videos when he goes up against 4k+ GWF. He holds his own really good and eventually makes the gwf run off and in one video he actually kills a highly geared gwf in a duel. So your statement holds like no water at all. This kind of blows everything else you say out the water.
    just looked at the standings list for pvp. pavlost is actually a top pvper, with almost 350 wins. only others i could find that had more wins was a gf with over 400 wins and a hr with over 700 wins.
    edited November 2016

d4rkh0rs3 said:

I wish I was pavlosT but sadly I am not. i am not even a pvp player, far from bis, much further than my guildmate, kallephi...I was simply proving that bis sw can hold their own against bis (insert class). I was not even trying to prove that sw are the best in pvp.

just looked at the standings list for pvp. pavlost is actually a top pvper, with almost 350 wins. only others i could find that had more wins was a gf with over 400 wins and a hr with over 700 wins.
    He is good without a doubt. I watched all his videos trying to figure out his playstyle and learn how to use my sw effectively. Now to mention a few other youtubers. That is the thing. If you go in pound some buttons and get your HAMSTER handed to you you can not complain about the class being broken. Now at all. You have to work for it. You have to study people who are achieved. See how they build. See what they do and copy cat there success. You have to know other classes. Watch there movements for tell tale oh HAMSTER signs. Some classes are easy. TR's for example you slap on daggers and smash head against board and win. This is what people expect out of a SW and it just isnt happening.

Classes are easy to play. You have one class that truly takes skill. It is like Druids in WoW. All other classes but druids have been dumbed down to oblivion. They slowly are dumbing down druids. Now cause of all the complaints they will start dumbing this class down as well so all you have to do is throw on a pact blade and bang your head against the board and win just like the TR.

Just isnt fair at all. Some people WANT to play a class you have to work at being good at. Not when you come out of the wrapper they give you a medal and say YOU WIN. Great you want that play a TR or GWF. If this is what you want to play like one of those classes and expect something to be handed to you than you will never accomplish anything. You want a challenge you want to work and play to be the best and train and train well GG you deserve a medal and it will tell when people start fearing you walking into the match and seeing your name.
    edited November 2016
    I stopped PVP at mod 9, did some Domination runs in mod 10 for a short period and know that warlock was improved and HB would be my favorite paragon to go there. No need to get into details.
    But I also know that I am not arguing against @zeusom in terms of warlocks abilities in PVP and I am far from telling him how to avoid a TR in Domination, since I met , know and saw enough of his warlock during the last 6 mods and know his last K/d ratio till mod 10, wich is outstanding, and also know that he run one of the best warlocks in this game, by sure better than most player on PC and by sure anyone that comes up on xbox or PS4, bc most player sitting with a controller in front of the TV can only copy builds and maybe feel/experience builds and stuff, but testing?
    About PVE I can´t argue that much because I did no FBI runs in mod 10.5 till now, but will give it a try.
    I accept some players opinions, sure.
    Lazalia and Lia Knowles are two of the best known PVE GWF in game, maybe Lazalia left already, no clue. I don´t know where exactly warlock stands in PVE, who knows, I only know there are huge gaps between player 1 and 2 and also between GWF 1 and GWF 2 (same with CW´s, some on your level, some rare are extraordinary)
    @kallephi as far as I can tell you already showed videos on this platform, showing your warlock against another class, and that´s not about epeen and dsirespecting other player, everyone wants to know how to judge about warlock since rework, that´s it.
    All we know till know is that warlock was competetive on a bugged level for 3 years
    edited November 2016
    d4rkh0rs3 said:

To mitigate TRs, continue moving to not get locked in the middle of a smoke bomb and use your 1 second immunity frame to survive a SE. If you cant dodge, you will need enough HP to survive their attack.

If you cant stack 160k+ HP, you can choose to equip a ring of vision and/or use dreadtheft in place of infernal spheres

Disagree. I am thinking mod 11 not mod 9. Mod 11:
    So a rogue with new runic weapons just animation cancels one SE (wastes your 1 dodge) and then hits you for over 200k 1st strike. Good game.

The upfront Tfey debuff via the autofiring infernal spheres would bring the damage down to a range that was survivable with HP stacking. That is why we need it back on autofire.

We want infernal spheres back the way it was.

1. Rogues were already able to hit SE for 180-200k before the new runic weapons. Add 20% to 30% more damage.. Rogues will clear 200k shockings easily and routinely. HP stacking? nope. Dead.
    2. Infernal spheres used to apply Tfeytouched debuff to a rogue before their SE hit, which was key for surviving a stealth 1ststrike shocking. But without autofire we cant use IS in this way, to apply the prophylactic debuff.
    3. Yes we now have 1 dodge with a 5 sec cooldown but rogues use SE animation cancelling. They should not be able to do it, but they can and do.

Post edited by zeusom on

PvP this mod was pretty good before my board stats glitched and reset to all 0's:
    http://i.imgur.com/CeoyI1T.png

edited November 2016
    zeusom said:

d4rkh0rs3 said:

If you cant stack 160k+ HP, you can choose to equip a ring of vision and/or use dreadtheft in place of infernal spheres

Disagree. I am thinking mod 11 not mod 9. Mod 11:
    So a rogue with new runic weapons just animation cancels one SE (wastes your 1 dodge) and then hits you for over 200k 1st strike. Good game.

The upfront Tfey debuff via the autofiring infernal spheres would bring the damage down to a range that was survivable with HP stacking. That is why we need it back on autofire.

We want infernal spheres back the way it was.

1. Rogues were already able to hit SE for 180-200k before the new runic weapons. Add 20% to 30% more damage.. Rogues will clear 200k shockings easily and routinely. HP stacking? nope. Dead.
    2. Infernal spheres used to apply Tfeytouched debuff to a rogue before their SE hit, which was key for surviving a stealth 1ststrike shocking. But without autofire we cant use IS in this way, to apply the prophylactic debuff.
    3. Yes we now have 1 dodge with a 5 sec cooldown but rogues use SE animation cancelling. They should not be able to do it, but they can and do.

I don't understand. All the good PVP SW I have watched on youtube and talked to in game run Vanq not spheres. Vanq WB and KF is the normal encounter set up I have seen and been told by top end SW's. So teach me what you know they do not. Why suffer sub par damage with no utility when the blades give you a buff plus aoe damage on tap.
    edited November 2016
    zeusom said:

PvP this mod was pretty good before my board stats glitched and reset to all 0's:
    http://i.imgur.com/CeoyI1T.png

I ran demo with you once, no one could keep up with your HAMSTER lol. never try and race froggy.
    edited November 2016

Vanq WB and KF is the normal encounter set up I have seen and been told by top end SW's.

BoVA has only been useful since mod 10 launched. I've played SW since mod 4.
    Mod 10 is when sphere's autofire was changed also. Before that the spheres had great niche usefulness against rogues but not anymore. Autofire spheres is needed back as an option at least to deal with SE under the new weapon dmg meta.

Post edited by zeusom on

• torghsthebroken#4706 torghsthebroken Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited November 2016

I stopped PVP at mod 9, did some Domination runs in mod 10 for a short period and know that warlock was improved and HB would be my favorite paragon to go there. No need to get into details.
    But I also know that I am not arguing against @zeusom in terms of warlocks abilities in PVP and I am far from telling him how to avoid a TR in Domination, since I met , know and saw enough of his warlock during the last 6 mods and know his last K/d ratio till mod 10, wich is outstanding, and also know that he run one of the best warlocks in this game, by sure better than most player on PC and by sure anyone that comes up on xbox or PS4, bc most player sitting with a controller in front of the TV can only copy builds and maybe feel/experience builds and stuff, but testing?
    About PVE I can´t argue that much because I did no FBI runs in mod 10.5 till now, but will give it a try.
    Lazalia and Lia Knowles are two of the best known PVE GWF in game, maybe Lazalia left already, no clue. I don´t know where exactly warlock stands in PVE, who knows, I only know there are huge gaps between player 1 and 2 and also between GWF 1 and GWF 2 (same with CW´s, some on your level, some rare are extraordinary)
    @kallephi as far as I can tell you already showed videos on this platform, showing your warlock against another class, and that´s not about epeen and dsirespecting other player, everyone wants to know how to judge about warlock since rework, that´s it.
    All we know till know is that warlock was competetive on a bugged level for 3 years

No good way to judge since all think other people are top gwf.
    Just another hour to go.

I recorded a video for fun, I put my logs in the topic but not the logs of the others. I don't even have the logs of my team mates anymore. Anyway, I'm waiting until I get all the stuff I need on this weekend (brutals rank 12, brutals rank 12 on companion, purple insignias, new weapon set). Then I'm gonna have to do some more tests.
    edited November 2016
    @zeusom if you want to introduce the concept of runic weapons allowing rogues to hit for 200k, thats a different story.

Also, the issue is not infernal spheres. The main issue is shocking execution and the associated animation canceling and smoke bomb first strike glitching. Fix shocking execution before you start making fixes to other classes.

Edit: and SE ignoring tenacity.
    edited November 2016
    The devs intend SE to pierce all tenacity. I doubt that will change.
    We are about to see 200k and higher shockings on a regular basis.
    The devs should make SE specifically NOT able to be animation cancelled.
    So that the rogue still loses the AP if they cancel it.

What the HAMSTER is HAMSTER?

• lyaiselyaise Member Posts: 491 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    zeusom said:

What the HAMSTER is HAMSTER?

Being used as a censored word or phrase. I see this as victimization of a small cuddly animal.
    If they where going to use one, it could at least have been something more alarming like SKUNK :-)
    ...............vote for your favourite expansion..........
    "Mod 6. Oh my f****** god. It gutted the game pure and simple. And what wasn't gutted was messed up by the poorly thought out new level cap and equip. The game never recovered from that atrocity".
    ..............not this one then.............
  • diloul31diloul31 Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    what is BoVA please ( french noob inside).
    I can't figure outwhat power it is.
  • werdandi#8366 werdandi Member Posts: 335 Arc User
    diloul31 said:

what is BoVA please ( french noob inside).

I can't figure outwhat power it is.

Lames des armées vaincues (blades of vainquished armies)

• diloul31diloul31 Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    null
    Thanks a ton !