test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Need help salvaging GF build!

kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 33 Arc User
edited November 2016 in The Guard Barracks
To preface, I've always felt that repecs were a waste of money, so I'm not going to buy one to try to make a "proper" build. In hindsight, ya I probably should have looked up popular builds for the current meta before creating a character, but it is what it is.

So I'm a really new player, and when I started making my GF, I didn't know what would be a good build for it, so I just did whatever. (Bad idea of course.) It didn't occur to me to look up builds for a GF until level 50 (stupid move), I I found out my build probably wouldn't be very good in the current meta. So I'm asking all of you for help. I'm not really looking for an end-all-be-all build, just something that will get me through the game somewhat easily, and not get trolled in pugs. Can you guys (and girls?) help me?

So to start with the easily salvageable part: I've only spent 26 of my power points and none of my feats points. This should hopefully help making a decent build possible.
To move on to the not-so-salvageable part: My ability scores are what will probably need to be worked with/around.
They are: STR 21, CON 22, DEX 17, INT 13, WIS 13, and CHA 11
Any advice on where I should put the last two ability scores of my choice?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I also already chose the Swordmaster Path.

Honestly, being this new, I don't have the slightest idea as to what combat powers synergize with what builds, so I'll need advice with those.

Thanks for any help in advance, and sorry to bother you all with my newb questions.
star-trek-in-before-the-lock.gif
Post edited by kjwashington on

Comments

• rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    edited November 2016

To preface, I've always felt that repecs were a waste of money, so I'm not going to buy one to try to make a "proper" build. In hindsight, ya I probably should have looked up popular builds for the current meta before creating a character, but it is what it is.

So I'm a really new player, and when I started making my GF, I didn't know what would be a good build for it, so I just did whatever. (Bad idea of course.) It didn't occur to me to look up builds for a GF until level 50 (stupid move), I I found out my build probably wouldn't be very good in the current meta. So I'm asking all of you for help. I'm not really looking for an end-all-be-all build, just something that will get me through the game somewhat easily, and not get trolled in pugs. Can you guys (and girls?) help me?

So to start with the easily salvageable part: I've only spent 26 of my power points and none of my feats points. This should hopefully help making a decent build possible.
    To move on to the not-so-salvageable part: My ability scores are what will probably need to be worked with/around.

Honestly, being this new, I don't have the slightest idea as to what combat powers synergize with what builds, so I'll need advice with those.

Thanks for any help in advance, and sorry to bother you all with my newb questions.

Eh, I don't blame you for HAMSTER up. Last time Fatshroom updated was in Mod8. Rockstar's was for Mod7, so yeah, I can see why you'd have issues. Besides, when I started my GWF in Mod5, I thought ArmorPen was useless (sue me).

Anyways, don't worry about your ability scores, because you picked a decent enough spread. Continue with STR and CON for your last few ability scores.

Since you want a GF that can tank and get through soloing, then you might want to consider a Tactician/Conqueror hybrid. I would personally put more points into the Tactician than Conqueror so your dungeon tanking is easier, however, if you're confident in your skills, you can focus more on Conqueror than Tactician.

Besides, why are you worried about PuG performance? PuGs in this game are awful, like in any other game.

If you really wanted a sort of jack of all stats, with a focus on tanking, then try something like this out:

https://nwcalc.com/index.html#/gf?b=1oa5:k6rwk5:8dep:5tb7d,1xi9005:1pu5000:1000000:1zu5501&h=0&p=smr&o=0

Powers that are MUST have:

4/4 Into the Fray
    4/4 Fighter's Recovery
    4/4 Weapon Master's Strike
    4/4 Enforced Threat

and then nice to have powers include

Shield Talent
    Enhanced Mark
    Steel Defense
    Steel Grace
    Combat Superiority
    Knight's Valor
    Commander's Strike
    Villain's Menace
    Tide of Iron
    Crushing Surge

To be honest, it's kind of hard to make a build for you that is a jack of all stats, as I'm (no offense man) unsure of your skill level, as well as what resources (AD, artifacts, Cubes of Augmentation, enchantments) you have at your disposal. Those facts alone can literally make a big difference in how I would reccomend a build.

Besides, a Respec token is like 300 Zen, which is around 150,000 AD if you put it into the Zen:AD exchange (come on, it's not "that" hard to accumulated 150K AD). I haven't even accounted for a 15% off Zen coupon from the little invoke bags.

I believe the Winter Festival gives free respec tokens if you do it, so perhaps you can pick some up during that time.

• kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    rjc9000 said:

To be honest, it's kind of hard to make a build for you that is a jack of all stats, as I'm (no offense man) unsure of your skill level, as well as what resources (AD, artifacts, Cubes of Augmentation, enchantments) you have at your disposal. Those facts alone can literally make a big difference in how I would reccomend a build.

Besides, a Respec token is like 300 Zen, which is around 150,000 AD if you put it into the Zen:AD exchange (come on, it's not "that" hard to accumulated 150K AD). I haven't even accounted for a 15% off Zen coupon from the little invoke bags.

I believe the Winter Festival gives free respec tokens if you do it, so perhaps you can pick some up during that time.
    I don't really need a jack of all trades build, just something that isn't going to be a "lol, noob" build (basically anything that won't s*ck). As far as how new I am and what my skill level is: new enough that i have 0 AD and am not really sure how to get them, and the only other game that I play at any length is STO, which is basically spacebar online. (So I have nothing and come from nothing.)

Edit: As far as buying a respec, I would be fine if it only costed 3 dollars, but PWE doesn't accept prepaid gift cards in my experience. Which means the only way for me to get zen is to buy it at gamestop in $20 dollar intervals, leaving me with $17 dollars worth of zen I didn't need. But the winter festival having free respec tokens sounds like a great idea, I hope they have them this year.
    Post edited by kjwashington on

rjc9000 said:

I don't really need a jack of all trades build, just something that isn't going to be a "lol, noob" build (basically anything that won't s*ck). As far as how new I am and what my skill level is: new enough that i have 0 AD and am not really sure how to get them, and the only other game that I play at any length is STO, which is basically spacebar online. (So I have nothing and come from nothing.)

Edit: As far as buying a respec, I would be fine if it only costed 3 dollars, but PWE doesn't accept prepaid gift cards in my experience. Which means the only way for me to get zen is to buy it at gamestop in $20 dollar intervals, leaving me with $17 dollars worth of zen I didn't need. But the winter festival having free respec tokens sounds like a great idea, I hope they have them this year.
    Well then, if you don't mind extremely extremely slow daily quests (trust me, I run this build, and dailies are very very slow), you can always follow my build, which works fairly well for running dungeons.

Link:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/18cdbmlyQ-0C8BKdNTe3TNjOCJPl1oEgV6YLoPFvjdvc/pub

I intended it for new players, but playing a GF isn't quite "press spacebar to victory". You might have to make some adjustments on your ability scores. I suggested full CON and full INT, but you can get away with putting more points into STR and CON.

If you want a respec token, I suggest running the easy dungeons (Cloak Tower or normal Temple of the Spider) or whatever skirmishes you can for some quick AD. Only do 2 dungeons and 2 skirmishes per day to make the max amount of AD. Then, you can put your hard earned AD into the Zen-AD exchange. If you're patient, you can get a respec token for half off when the 50% off Zen Store sale rolls around, which is usually during Black Friday.

• jackyl#8395 jackyl Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    You can also get a respec token using symbols of savras. All you have to do is play through the questline in each zone.

You can also get a respec token using symbols of savras. All you have to do is play through the questline in each zone.

... I did not think about that ...

*internally facepalms*

I believe the Respec from the Savras Store is a one time buy only, but I could be wrong.

• pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Supposedly the Benign Eye token can be purchased only once per character but is BtA.

I would like to say one thing about leveling up using build guides however. IMO it's better to try out powers for yourself as you level up and put off worrying about a build until you hit max level. (Unless you're really struggling with the content.) It's simply better to get a good feel for how things work before focusing on what works best. Eventually if you stick with it, there will be 'rebalancing' and you're going to be using different powers. Better to have an understanding of what they do before that time.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
    pitshade said:

Supposedly the Benign Eye token can be purchased only once per character but is BtA.

I would like to say one thing about leveling up using build guides however. IMO it's better to try out powers for yourself as you level up and put off worrying about a build until you hit max level. (Unless you're really struggling with the content.) It's simply better to get a good feel for how things work before focusing on what works best. Eventually if you stick with it, there will be 'rebalancing' and you're going to be using different powers. Better to have an understanding of what they do before that time.

So, if I really wanted to, I could play my SW inventory mule for the Savras junk, buy the respec token, and then pass it to my GF?
    I didn't know that.

Pit has it totally correct here: you should play around with certain powers while you're soloing, get a feel for how it works. And this goes doubly true for my build, which makes soloing slowwwww.

GF just got rebalanced in 10 and I seriously doubt that they will change much on the GF, as they have bigger classes to rebalance (DC/GWF/TR/CW).

• jaime4312#3760 jaime4312 Member Posts: 844 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    null
    I think you can have as many free respec tokens as you want as long as you always get enough symbols of shavras with a toon each time, that's why I no longer buy them as I still have some alts I cam claim these things with.

It should be possible to create a new toon, equip mount and guild power boon on, do a few low level campaigns, claim retraining token, transfer it to main/target toon, delete low level toon, rinse and repeat. You can also do the same with stones of health (50), I think.

Oh, we just trumpeted "hey devs patch this asap before more people realise about it's potential!"

Devs' announcement:

"We are pleased to announce that we addressed a glitch whereby players were able to earn their respec tokens in a way we can't milk them as much as they don't need to purchase these items in the zen market. Dear forum users, thanks for giving us yet another way to <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> the playerbase off and get more people to quit this game.

Kindest regards,
    Devs."

null

I think you can have as many free respec tokens as you want as long as you always get enough symbols of shavras with a toon each time, that's why I no longer buy them as I still have some alts I cam claim these things with.

It should be possible to create a new toon, equip mount and guild power boon on, do a few low level campaigns, claim retraining token, transfer it to main/target toon, delete low level toon, rinse and repeat. You can also do the same with stones of health (50), I think.

Oh, we just trumpeted "hey devs patch this asap before more people realise about it's potential!"

Devs' announcement:

"We are pleased to announce that we addressed a glitch whereby players were able to earn their respec tokens in a way we can't milk them as much as they don't need to purchase these items in the zen market. Dear forum users, thanks for giving us yet another way to HAMSTER the playerbase off and get more people to quit this game.

Kindest regards,

Devs."

I think we're safe for now: I'm not even sure the devs read these fourms (or some of the more populated sections of the fourms. How many times have people said that SKT is too grindy, but no response from the devs?).

Thankfully, we still have preview server as our way to test out our respecs.

I would like to thank you all for your help and ideas. What I've chosen to do is to experiment with all the powers for now, and then use the free respec from the symbol of savras store. (I just have to find a build that I like.) Hopefully I won't be as stupid when I make my next character.
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    I rolled a new GF less than two weeks ago and I'm having fun with it. It's mainly Conqueror with some Tactician.

It sounds like you're more concerned with your performance in 5 man dungeons; as such it'll be about survivability - yours and theirs. Stack Defence as high as you can get it and have 4 points in Knights Valor and Into The Fray as these are the two things people want from you (4 pts in KV means you take less dmg from the feedback, as does high defence).

Some basic points:

Improving Stamina means you can keep your shield up longer - very important with bosses and negates most of the KV feedback. You can do this via artifacts, mount insignias and campaign boons.

Improving Recovery means your skills recharge faster so you can have less downtime on ITF.

Improving Armor Pen means you hold aggro better because you hit harder - it also makes clearing solo content a lot faster.

What weapons are you using? If it's Mulhorands or the free Elemental ones then I'd suggest you get the Drowned ones by spending a few hours farming motes in the Drowned Shores area (Druid in PE gives the quest). These heal you for 50% of your HP over 30 seconds every minute and are very good if you haven't got your defence maxed yet.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
    edited November 2016
    rjc9000 said:

I'm curious, do these allow you to change your initial ability score roll? The ones from the symbol of savras store don't.

rjc9000 said:

I'm curious, do these allow you to change your initial ability score roll? The ones from the symbol of savras store don't.
    The Winter Token/Zen Store Tokens/Savras tokens do not let you change your initial ability scores roll.

You would need a race reroll token for that.

• teufelhunden#1548 teufelhunden Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    RJC9000

How important are the initial ability scores ? I am following your guide and messed up the INT I sit at 17 got CON maxed at 28 and STR around 19 I think and DEX like 16. As I'm really liking this GF as much if not more then my HR and my guild ask for tanks more then DPS I want Mr Abrams to be awesome in the next few months (the grind is real:) is it worth a race re roll to get the stats?
    Peace all
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    You can compensate for lower INT by stacking more recovery, particularly on your companion. If every extra point over 10 = 1% to the stats then an extra 5 points in INT would be worth 1k recovery (unlike most stats, recovery is 200 to 1).
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
    armadeonx said:

You can compensate for lower INT by stacking more recovery, particularly on your companion. If every extra point over 10 = 1% to the stats then an extra 5 points in INT would be worth 1k recovery (unlike most stats, recovery is 200 to 1).

^^^ yep, this one has the answer (sorry for the late reply, got CC'd by college)

tbh, I am thining of changing my ability score rolls since I'm sitting at 18K Recovery, which is more than enough Recovery to keep my ITF cooldown low.

but Ima keep the +INT in my guide because not everyone has R12 Bondings and R12 Silveries to get over 9000 Recovery

(and the stupid DBZ meme is actually accurate: 10,000 Recovery, or 100% Recharge Speed increase, is when "Recovery for reducing your cooldowns" hits diminishing returns).