test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Where do you want Class Guides?

zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
edited November 2016 in Guides
Do you want Class Guides to remain in their respective Class Forums?

Do you want Class Guides moved here to this forum?

In either case, Guide Indexes are planned to be created and stickied. We'd just like to know where you want to see Class Guides. At present, all non-Class and non-PvP Guides will be moved here. Currently, we'll be leaving Class Guides in their respective Class Forums and PvP Guides in the PvP Forums.

Where do you want Class Guides? 69 votes

Keep all Class Guides in their respective Class Forums.
62%
xheartzx31sockmunkeybeckylunatickjwashingtonmagenubbieironzerg79bajornorbertangel3691grroupericyphishforumnamesuxsvampiredelacroixhadestemplar#9918zammyvixmarinermasterxdarkielaxggedameddrauksboredintovoidgift 43 votes
All Class Guides should be located in this forum, the Guides Forum.
31%
sorce#8115defiantone99agnaetharickcase276demonmongerd3drkshadowblackjackwidowmartelis1981foxxy#4211rjc9000loteskcellablockinfernalnuisanceconstantmule#4943d1ngleberrysteveumarachnea#5673jkangelmore1#4168tgvlx#0990amphhitter#5288dragonvoid#2250 22 votes
I Abstain.
5%
zebularfreakywazzymetalldjtjensil#9076 4 votes

Comments

• ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    I think a good compromise would be to have a new class guides "mega thread" that has all the links to the different guides in the class subforums. But ultimately, I think all the guides for each class need to be in their own home, otherwise this place will get cluttered very quickly, and it'll be hard to find good guides across all the classes.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    All Class Guides should be located in this forum, the Guides Forum.

I think a guide sub-forum with class guides would be helpful for new players or those new to the forums. A lot of class guides get lost among other threads.

I think a good compromise would be to have a new class guides "mega thread" that has all the links to the different guides in the class subforums. But ultimately, I think all the guides for each class need to be in their own home, otherwise this place will get cluttered very quickly, and it'll be hard to find good guides across all the classes.

For exactly that reason I'd like them to have a separate forum for each. There are way too many class guides that are outdated. Try looking for a good TR guide. You'd have to go in 10 pages deep to find anything worth reading. Come to thing of it, looking at all the junk guides in there, it might be worth starting over entirely. Just mail the top 10 guides and check if these people are willing to keep that guide up-to-date or ask how valid the build still is. I think you can close just about 90% of the existing guides as being worthless.

It would also be helpful if class guides would be sorted by ranking so that people can tell the difference between outdated guides and up-to-date ones.

Everyone has a point.

Definatone points out how it would be nice for newbies to have a centralized spot to get advice, as it can be a bit of a hassle for them to has to search through every nook and cranny for a good guide.

magenubbie points out how some builds are super outdated or are sometimes useless/not tested. I am reminded of a few guides that weren't the greatest or are severely outdated, so we definetly need to have requirements or criteria for picking "useful guides".

I mostly agree with Ironzerg, in that there should be a megathread for all useful guides (reminded me of Sharpedge's List of Useful links before it went "kapoof"). There wasn't an option in the poll for "a big mega-thread to all the best guides", so I picked whatever sounded closest to me. Whether the class guides get moved here or stay on their respective class fourms, I am impartial.

This also begs the question of how we will determine the "top 10 guides" or "useful guides". Perhaps, every week, the some of the mods could hold a community "guide" poll, where the mods pick a guide and the community could vote on whether they think the guide is "worthy" enough to be on the megathread?

Also, if we do do this megathread, there might be some issues with the links. I believe the fourms have a rule about mentioning certain websites, of which might hold the links to the guides.

• zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2016
    I Abstain.
    rjc9000 said:

I think a guide sub-forum with class guides would be helpful for new players or those new to the forums. A lot of class guides get lost among other threads.

For exactly that reason I'd like them to have a separate forum for each. There are way too many class guides that are outdated. Try looking for a good TR guide. You'd have to go in 10 pages deep to find anything worth reading. Come to thing of it, looking at all the junk guides in there, it might be worth starting over entirely. Just mail the top 10 guides and check if these people are willing to keep that guide up-to-date or ask how valid the build still is. I think you can close just about 90% of the existing guides as being worthless.

It would also be helpful if class guides would be sorted by ranking so that people can tell the difference between outdated guides and up-to-date ones.

Everyone has a point.

Definatone points out how it would be nice for newbies to have a centralized spot to get advice, as it can be a bit of a hassle for them to has to search through every nook and cranny for a good guide.

magenubbie points out how some builds are super outdated or are sometimes useless/not tested. I am reminded of a few guides that weren't the greatest or are severely outdated, so we definetly need to have requirements or criteria for picking "useful guides".

I mostly agree with Ironzerg, in that there should be a megathread for all useful guides (reminded me of Sharpedge's List of Useful links before it went "kapoof"). There wasn't an option in the poll for "a big mega-thread to all the best guides", so I picked whatever sounded closest to me. Whether the class guides get moved here or stay on their respective class fourms, I am impartial.

This also begs the question of how we will determine the "top 10 guides" or "useful guides". Perhaps, every week, the some of the mods could hold a community "guide" poll, where the mods pick a guide and the community could vote on whether they think the guide is "worthy" enough to be on the megathread?

Also, if we do do this megathread, there might be some issues with the links. I believe the fourms have a rule about mentioning certain websites, of which might hold the links to the guides.
    I stated in the very Original Post of this thread that there would be Guide Index Stickies regardless. We used to have such a "megathread" but the migration to Vanilla broke it and then it became really outdated and we just hadn't had time to refresh it until now.
    zebular said:

In either case, Guide Indexes are planned to be created and stickied. We'd just like to know where you want to see Class Guides. At present, all non-Class and non-PvP Guides will be moved here. Currently, we'll be leaving Class Guides in their respective Class Forums and PvP Guides in the PvP Forums.

• voidgiftvoidgift Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 286 Arc User
    A sticky in here would be sufficient.

We need the class guides to be in their respectable class forums. Many of them contain a lot of informative discussion and vital information regarding classes. They would be easier accessible and more searchable if not separated from the rest.
    With dreams to be a king, first one should be a man.

Rise to POWER with <House of Power>.

The Exterminator - (NW-DLNXF3BGG)
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    I think (as others have suggested) a subsection within each class forum would be easiest for people to locate what they are after.

E.g. a new GF goes to the GF forum then the guide subsection, quite an obvious path for them to follow, especially with the main section being there for advice and topical conversation.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    Deeply nested subforums tend to split information up too much and make it difficult to navigate, and there's a lot more potential for links to get broken by infrastructure changes. Keep it simple. It's ok for guides that aren't actively maintained to sink beneath a sea of "what weapon enchant should I use???". If they are still valuable, that knowledge doesn't fully disappear. None of the class forums is so busy that it's turning over pages frequently anyway.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,176 Arc User
    zebular said:

What if?
    Make one locked mega post/index >Complete Neverwinter Guide list < which link to other guide index posts..

For example, In Mega Post u click on Warlock Guides link, which redirect you to index post in warlock forum, where is listed all current awailable builds/guides.

Why do that ?
    .. Well probably because discussion in every builds/guides will keep going. And if you move/relocate guides in this sub forum, all discusions will come here to. Also so far discussion around x class are relocated/moved to its sub forum. For example discussions about warlock class are relocated to warlock forum. Also lot of guides contain talks/discussion not only about build, but about some other class matters. So more less moving guides here will be against forum rules. If I want keep discussion about warlock class, I have do it in its forum. Not in other sub forum..
    Also naturally new players look info about his class in that class sub forum.

This is my opinion...

p.s sorry for bad my english....

========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================
  • forumnamesuxsforumnamesuxs Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 490 Arc User
    My immediate thought, is that this forum is not well suited as a guide database.
    However, sticky here with link to each class section, further redirecting to each guide, could work, or, each class section get their own guide subsection.
    Wolves, big as a horse! I need new pants!

• zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    I Abstain.
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. We will be keeping class guides in their respective forums and will keep in mind the possibility of opening up sub-forums in each class forum specifically for its respective class guides. For now, we will maintain an active Class Index sticky in each Class Forum as well as a General Guides Index sticky in this Guides forum itself. Closing this up now!
This discussion has been closed.