test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do you like Fishing

lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
edited November 2016 in Player Feedback (PC)

Do you like Fishing 183 votes

Yes, I like it. Give me more
7%
throsbizebularkreatyvedefiantone99buzzardsbaitduurmysteriasdrassamintmarketelgrinweaver936superkwstarastrgluestickzoverrated4kallephi#0836 14 votes
No I dont, I never want to see it again
45%
hmdq#4491guille23mxbalufunkemagnumxtlordseth1985dionchisorce#8115klangeddinsilverkelthyakusekaigankdalf#8991nannhydrizztdur78putzboy78callofkutuludfnceloexwellfreakywazzydarthpotateracklin 83 votes
I don't mind it, as long as the rewards are good
24%
ravenkkinkingdomkey2sasagerucolierissssshorevjimjonesurabaskabspsilvergryphbeckylunaticperegr1nusironzerg79hastati96joe123thewaywardrickcase276emilemogrroupercdnbisoncerberusxllcilginordek 45 votes
I can live with it, but I'd rather not see more of the same
20%
kvetuzalasantralafaxaraneaxarabatursweatapodimascambo1682monkeeyman1vordayndiogene0pitshadejulianalz55cushparlbigredbrentichimaruginxmantrastudiogleichgewichtnweoleelonewolfmk1voidgift 37 votes
These pretzels are making me thirsty
2%
rannonhutntslayer1hypergorila2lucislator 4 votes

Comments

• lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    I don't like the fishing, but I'd like to know if it's just me and a small minority or it most ppl don't like it. Maybe its 50/50, who knows

• voidgiftvoidgift Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 286 Arc User
    I said I can live with it, but I actually have been enjoying it. I do not want it spread out, tho. It fits very well up there in the north, where you can avoid it when you want to play the game.
    With dreams to be a king, first one should be a man.

Rise to POWER with <House of Power>.

The Exterminator - (NW-DLNXF3BGG)
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    If they had it not relelated to progression system, then fine, have a blast.

But because it is, its moronic and boring, time consuming and has no place in a mmorpg.
  • therealprotextherealprotex Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 526 Arc User
    If anyone likes a fishing simulator, Google will find you a list of arguably the "best PC fishing games". This is a D&D game, and not some silly and boring F&D (<- yes, "Fishing & Dragons") game. What's next, a Farming-Simulator 2016 adaption? I am sure, the Farmers in Rothe Valley would apprechiate our help... *rolleyes*
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,182 Arc User
    Fishing should be optional and not in the critical path. I don't mind Winter Festival fishing because that is optional. What the current fishing bugs me is it is not optional if you want to move forward. At this moment, I can live with it.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    It's not horrible in an of itself, though hitting the '1' key while trying to hold down 'Q' is not well thought out. However, the way that it's presented along with the grind and otherwise lack of reward in Mod10 is rather disappointing. I like sailing around in the boat and finding treasures, but it seems wrong that the treasures from fishing are far better than those in CN or likely
    FBI and the new place.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • ichimaruginxichimaruginx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Similar to @voidgift , despite my choice, I actually enjoy fishing quite a lot. It's relaxing and the treasure huntings are kind fun first time round. But I picked "I can live with it" because I think one Mod of fishing should be enough - you either like fishing or find it boring so even though I enjoy it tremendously compared to the previous Module SKT which gives me endless HE grinds (Ugh!), other people might not find fishing as entertaining.

This Mod provides a refreshing change compared to the HE farms that we had since WoD, and it is much appreciated since I disliked the farms. So, it should receive credit for that. But too much of the same thing - say if fishing is implemented again in the next few mods, then it will become very undesirable. Hence my answer.

On a side note, fishing provides a good source of RP from hunting down the maps and AD if you sell the unbounds or bottles for normal players. This may help the more casual players to acquire decent Artifact gears and Artifacts, besides serving as a side income. Best thing is, you can listen to audiobooks or watch something while you fish (most of the time) so it's not as attention demanding as the other contents. That plus it's usefulness stated above makes it a good addition in my opinion.
  • mysteriasdrassamysteriasdrassa Member Posts: 299 Arc User
    i voted like it, and wouldn't mind seeing it in a FEW (meaning maybe 3 or less) places,,, but as others have stated,,, don't want to see it spread all over the game,,, it fits really nice where it is
    edited November 2016
    I cant think of any mmo , since eq 1 that I had to sit there for 30-40 hours and fish to advance in game.

Sorry , I dont believe anyone can give me 1 specific example.

@ironzerg79

Whatever man, its sounds like you bought in or sold out.. Most mmo player expect a fundamental shell of a MMO, if they want to change mechanics and such and be creative, great , all the better. But that shell consists of group content.

Sitting around doing hes and fishing for hours on end, is not anywhere close to that basic shell.

Just par of the course, as they continue to push stuff like this, more people who just basically want dungeons , skirms, raids and the like, will leave, so more people will be super positive about these said "content" developments.

If this is what they want whatever. Im sure enough people enjoy it that the can make it. I still do not believe that things like fishing and HEs should be fundamentally a part of progression in a mmo. SMALL storylines, small aspects of change ups.. sure.. fine, great.

Jeepers Creepers.

If anyone likes a fishing simulator, Google will find you a list of arguably the "best PC fishing games". This is a D&D game, and not some silly and boring F&D (<- yes, "Fishing & Dragons") game. What's next, a Farming-Simulator 2016 adaption? I am sure, the Farmers in Rothe Valley would apprechiate our help... *rolleyes*</p>

amen brother..

I swear , I dont know how anyone tolerates this.. people seem so apathetic , or refuse to challenge, ultimately the power in in the players hands, Ive seen that dozens of times over the years.. if players speak up, things change.. if they lay silent, usually games degrades into mostly empty servers.

Here is the true secret of any mmo developer.. they can do nothing, that players ultimately reject.. do not be afraid to voice your expectations.

• ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    desisti said:

Ok, now - we are playing MMO to EARN stuff not to BUY all of them... that, kinda, removes a point of playing. Login, place your credit card on your desk and purchace items then logout.

The AH is a viable part of the game that has nothing to do with swiping a credit card. If you have more fun or generate more wealth doing something else with your time, do that...then "exchange" that time playing for whatever your other needs are on the AH.

Or are you actually arguing that having a player-driven AH detracts from the MMO experience? Are you saying you've never purchased a single thing off the AH?

"Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
    edited November 2016
    9 mods.. I felt I could grind out on 8 toons.

1 mod that completely evaporated that entire feeling.
    @ironzerg79
    How do you justify and reconcile this?

Your saying, just pay to skip it all.. on 8 toons? its not at all feasible, it shouldve been adjusted at the start of the feedback, but here we are, yelling at each other instead.

BTW, if you want to fish, why not just go to a fishing game (or better yet.. go fish for real) I dont come to a fantasy game to sit around for hours and hours fishing..

I can do real life fishing.. I cant do real life hack and slash, healing, tanking , buffing and spell casting.

• dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    I really want fishing to either be more engaging and fun OR at the very least lest tedious.

Ideally, it should be a minigame where you can get better at it as you learn the patterns and techniques (Sahha had a bit of this, it was certainly orders of magnitude more engaging than fishing is now). They could also incorporate different types of lures which could impact the fishing strategy etc.

I get that would require resources and investment from the dev team.

Barring the ideal scenario above, they really need to make fishing less tedious. It's begging to be "automated" because it requires precise and immediate response to _very_ obvious stimuli and also favors those who don't value their time too much (or have little self-worth) and don't get depressed while staring at the 3 arrows in the power bar (easier than reading the word that pops up) for extended periods of time.

It can be fun for a little bit, but it soon gets frustrating and tedious. It's especially frustrating because it's clear that many of the other fishers in the area are *ahem* automated and you will never compete with their reflexes or resilience in the face of brutal boredom. Just look at the AH ;)
  • matthiasthehun76matthiasthehun76 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    No matter how much i love fishing in RL, in a game it's just plain stupid, but in a DnD game it's even more stupid and a cheap filler, nothing more.

Fishing is all about nature and the fight with the fish, how can smashing a few buttons even come close to that.

We need dungeons and content. Since the map of Mod 10.5 is great i wouldn't have mind if they gave us epic ship battles or use it in PVP, where you could board the enemy ship too, that would have been great and a welcome change.
    The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy.
    Robert E. Lee

I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself.
    Winston Churchill

The human race is a herd. Here we are, unique, eternal aspects of consciousness with an infinity of potential, and we have allowed ourselves to become an unthinking, unquestioning blob of conformity and uniformity. A herd. Once we concede to the herd mentality, we can be controlled and directed by a tiny few. And we are.
    David Icke

• kangkeokkangkeok Member Posts: 1,123 Arc User
    pitshade said:

It's not horrible in an of itself, though hitting the '1' key while trying to hold down 'Q' is not well thought out. However, the way that it's presented along with the grind and otherwise lack of reward in Mod10 is rather disappointing. I like sailing around in the boat and finding treasures, but it seems wrong that the treasures from fishing are far better than those in CN or likely
    FBI and the new place.

Something off topic. U dont have to hold ur Q to hit 1. Once the action bar is full, u can lift ur finger off the QER button and it will stay at full. But if u hit any QER that is not flashing, its gonna lose the AP. So u can lift ur finger once AP is full and hit 1 no problem.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2016
    In all the MMORPGs that I play, most of them have fishing and there's only one that I don't enjoy it in. There were two, and Neverwinter was one but that was before we got an actual fishing system. I didn't enjoy fishing back when it was only during Simril. Now though, I kinda-of rather enjoy it. MMORPGs are not all about combat and if one doesn't enjoy the non-combat features of an MMORPG, then don't partake in those features.

There's plenty of combat to be had. As for the mechanics of fishing, and the complaints on it, that can be said for any other MMORPG that has fishing. I have fished since I was a lad, everything from shore fishing, net fishing, to mostly deep sea fishing... so I know "fishing." Nothing will ever truly feel like fishing except for actual real life fishing. Calling it stupid, moronic, or boring is just perspective really. My perspective is that it is a welcome addition to the game's features, and like almost all features, it could do well with some improvements... sure. The main improvement that needs to happen is that it needs to be made a voluntary feature and not part of mandatory progression.

In short, if your feelings against fishing in this MMORPG are so hostile and derogative, perhaps the feature is not something for you and you should instead focus on other aspects of the game that you do enjoy instead of condoning the feature to terms that are insulting whether by association, use, or development. While doing so, voice concerns and productive feedback to try and make reasoning why fishing shouldn't be mandatory for progression. That's far better than being hostile, derogative, and attacking others opinions because they differ from yours.
  • eoleeeolee Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    I fish for dailies, i fish because everyone around is fishing... But frankly i want to run dungeons, and lately its people farming BHE, people fishing... I want to play dungeons and dragons again.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    My real answer is a conflicted mess of 1, 3, 4 (and sometimes 5, but I need both hands for fishing which leaves none free for salty snacks).

I like the fishing. But... I'm a weirdo with performance anxiety who keeps my MMO social experience mostly to enjoying having people to chat with while I roam around by myself.

I wouldn't want to see this type of activity made integral to advancement in future modules. But I think it's fine as one of multiple ways to progress.

There is one attitude about this that is really bothering me. Why is it ok to want unbound loot in dungeons that you can make a fortune off of selling to players who can't or won't run the dungeons themselves, but not ok to buy fishing components from people who like it and want to do that? This seems deeply hypocritical.

Fishing as a daily quest is... well, now that it's fixed, it did not take me a long time to get the 200 weight by shaking off the 1s and 2s and reeling in the 3s and 4s. Not worse than many of SKT's dailies, and doing it simultaneously gives progress into the Elk Tribe "key". SoMI dailies, if you skip the quests you don't like, you miss the day, which is less flexible than fully unlocked SKT. I have not yet seen the weekly rewards, because I was slow. They seem to have slightly improved the daily SoMI quest wrapper based on what I read before. At any rate, there is a certain amount of fishing here that you are not able to skip unless you're prepared to sacrifice a day's progression over it, so you can't really say fishing is any more optional than killing barbarians, for example. You don't absolutely have to do it, but not doing it costs you campaign progress.

And then there are the Storvald keys. I'd have to poke at my campaign and collections, but from the sounds of things, if you want to upgrade your runic weapons, you have to be consistently able to open ALL THREE Storvald chests, as each corresponds to a different mark type, and you need all of them, and the marks are only available account-bound, so you literally CANNOT buy the ones associated with an activity you don't like doing, or how unlucky you are. Your alternative is... the cash shop, and therein we have the precedent of paying to progress, which isn't entirely new, but a key that can otherwise ONLY be created via fishing... that's new. Other campaign keys don't dictate that you must always battle the prison warden and can't just sneakily light some carts on fire instead, for example. And we've not had critical progression loot that you could not buy from another player (if at very high cost) or eventually get enough credit (via seals) to earn if it doesn't drop.

The presentation that fishing would be entirely optional was misleading. Grinding fishing is optional, but anyone interested in advancement doesn't have a lot of choice to skip it completely.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • ilmenirailmenira Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 269 Arc User
    yes, i like it, but the rewards need to remain ok.

means: i like to fish as is, i like the landscape and i like the meditative aspect,
    i also like the fun in chat about it,
    but i probably wouldn't do it for long, if the rewards were not ok, as they are now.
  • kangkeokkangkeok Member Posts: 1,123 Arc User

9 mods.. I felt I could grind out on 8 toons.

1 mod that completely evaporated that entire feeling.
    @ironzerg79
    How do you justify and reconcile this?

Your saying, just pay to skip it all.. on 8 toons? its not at all feasible, it shouldve been adjusted at the start of the feedback, but here we are, yelling at each other instead.

BTW, if you want to fish, why not just go to a fishing game (or better yet.. go fish for real) I dont come to a fantasy game to sit around for hours and hours fishing..

I can do real life fishing.. I cant do real life hack and slash, healing, tanking , buffing and spell casting.

I dont see that much a problem. What i see mod 10b only offer relic weapon and the epic trial. The boon aren't that great. The epic trial only require u to do daily to unlock like any other mod. For relic weapon, u can skip fishing if u dont like it so much and still u can get the things u need cheap. U just need a total of 8 material from fishing ( at least its what HR weapon show) and they are about 10-20k each. The material from treasure map is also cheap. the expensive one are those from HE which i dont blame them as it is hard to come by. Like edemo weapon, nothing is free. U still have to grind for what u want but when its over, its over for good. At least for relic weapon u can get them through AD and the rest is easy dailies.

This mod is not that gamebreaking unlike mod 6 where they remove dungeon and mess up the rewards and alot of stuff that makes previous mod content unaccessible. In fact this mod add content and u still able to access previous mod stuff. If u are not satisfied with any of new item, u can skip it like i did with the everfrost armor which i felt its more of a burden to upkeep them. For me the relic weapon are alright and not that hard to make and most importantly no upkeep needed. Fishing is ok and treasure hunting is awesome. I like HE. Its something like dungeon but in open world and no paingiver thing to look at. Everyone just doing their job trying to beat the HE instead of paingiver so people there are less selfish. Also u have no need to que for it.

U see there is no need to keep bashing at the content u dont like because what u dont like might not be the same in other people's view. Every people have different interest in this game. Instead of complaining about how bad the content u dont like, why not just do the content that u like, like what u always do while other people could enjoy the content that they like.
    because they gated progression via this content.. if they had it as a optional, or ancillary to the main progression, that wouldve been fine.

In fact I encourage optional ways.. as I believe both solo type players and group type players should be able to some extent, converage to play together in a mmo.

But to force people to sit around fishing, shouldnt be a thing.. I keep hearing its optional, but its not, you cant just skip it.

Sorry I dont buy that argument.

• two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    The pool needs a "not like this" option. I've fished in many games, including both single-player games and MMOs. Sea of Moving Ice fishing has the worst design that I can recall.

Winter Festival fishing was a simple and enjoyable design. One button casts and the same button reels in. Lonelywood fishing shared this design, although the fishing nodes were plagued by bugs. Sea of Moving Ice fishing is a mess.

Piggybacking fishing on the Action Point system was a horrible design decision.
    Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
  • lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    Must admit it, the feedback is more positive than I thought it would be. Interesting.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    lantern22 said:

Must admit it, the feedback is more positive than I thought it would be. Interesting.

I don't find it surprising at all. You've got a wide disparity of opinions about it from strong positives to strong negatives. It's not something that everyone enjoys or that everyone hates, and there is a place in the game for it, but it's not appropriate as a mandatory activity.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia