test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Bot attack currently under way in PE.

drepplerdreppler Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10 Arc User
Hoping Devs read this :) There looks to be a bot attack currently underway in PE. All bots look to be lvl4 tr's and are jumping up and down in front on the bank. They look to be in all instances, and I'm not sure if the numbers are increasing. Not sure if this is also related to the AH currently being down.

Comments

• silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    Bots will be with us as long as the game has a high amount of grind that rewards repetitive tasks. I've seen them clumped up in various areas for years but mainly in PE. This particular event may be related to the AH or they're just grinding for the upcoming 2XRP event.
    I aim to misbehave
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    If the AH is down, that would break all the scripting for anyone running a bot to interact with the AH. So the bot can't execute the rest of its script and just jumps to keep logged in while it keeps trying to finish whatever it's really programmed to do.

Not an "attack", just a whole lot of visibility as they accumulate when they'd normally be in and out quickly.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • cerberusxllcerberusxll Member Posts: 387 Arc User
    is there any news as to why the auction house is down? last time a feature went down like this without any explanation was gateway, and we all know how that ended up.
    Cerberus | Scylla | Orion | Makelo | Nemesis | Ares | Artemis | Asclepius | Nyx | Hades | Dexithea | Dolos | Demonax | Athena | Enyo | Medusa | Talos | Alcyone
  • lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User

is there any news as to why the auction house is down? last time a feature went down like this without any explanation was gateway, and we all know how that ended up.

THis was my thoughts exactly but sweet jebus man, they can't seriously think about scrapping the AH. That will be the final, final, final nail in the coffin for this game.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    lirithiel said:

THis was my thoughts exactly but sweet jebus man, they can't seriously think about scrapping the AH. That will be the final, final, final nail in the coffin for this game.
    One would hope that they aren't doing something like that, especially in the way it was (not) communicated.

I was optimistic given their about-face after Keygate. But then again we've all been surprised at their decisions before, usually in very dark and sad ways.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Someone post a video of the bots, please.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    This might explain why my game is currently unplayably laggy atm.
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    pitshade said:

Please don't. We would just have to remove it under our Naming and Shaming policy anyway.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • mimicking#6533 mimicking Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 83 Cryptic Developer
    dupeks said:

lirithiel said:

One would hope that they aren't doing something like that, especially in the way it was (not) communicated.

I was optimistic given their about-face after Keygate. But then again we've all been surprised at their decisions before, usually in very dark and sad ways.
    Hey Gang- not shutting the Ah down or the bank:) we may temporarily disable hopping up and down on level 4's though ( gallow humor, I know). Looking into this issue now, thanks for the heads up.
    M.K.
    Go ahead, click on the chest...
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User

we may temporarily disable hopping up and down on level 4's though

I don't know how well the humor will play...

..but I'll admit, I chuckled.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • aslan3775aslan3775 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 295 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Humor is kinda like art--I know what I like, and I thought mimicking's comment was funny. :-)

Of course, I am no expert.

Of course my first thought was "He can do that--that's POWER."

Can we send the Neverwinter guards over to arrest the bots?
  • samaka#2511 samaka Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

pitshade said:

Please don't. We would just have to remove it under our Naming and Shaming policy anyway.
    What if the video was taken with player names disabled? Nobody to name and shame in that case! :)
    @samaka#2511
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator

kreatyve said:

pitshade said:

What if the video was taken with player names disabled? Nobody to name and shame in that case! :)
    I think that would be ok, but I'd have to double check with StrumSlinger to be sure.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    I wasn't going to reply back to the mod notice, but ultimately I just meant it for the humor of it all, not regarding player names or accounts.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    Omg the midget bot tr army lives!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • rubbertrixsrubbertrixs Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 21 Arc User
    so no HE in stronghold, no big HE in sea of moving ice, and now no AH. this has to stop please tell us what is going on. when will it be fixed. if you want players to be loyal just tell us what is going on...please
  • wlinazwlinaz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 147 Arc User
    Seems to me that it would be a good time to pull out the ol' ban hammer.. :)
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    aslan3775 said:

Can we send the Neverwinter guards over to arrest the bots?

I have a veritable army of Powries in the bank whose caps are getting a little dull...
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • ajlir#7970 ajlir Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    Why not get all your guild mates to PE and report every bot players that is hopping?
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    keep your ears open, we might be hearing "Hail Hydra!" as they replace old hydra members with 2 new members
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    Fwiw I didn't see any stupid jumping TRs today, except in DOM. But that's normal.
  • mysteriasdrassamysteriasdrassa Member Posts: 299 Arc User

kreatyve said:

pitshade said:

video would be cute and all,,, but really just curious how samaka made her/his signature banner,,, wayyyyyyy cool :D
  • lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited November 2016

kreatyve said:

pitshade said:

video would be cute and all,,, but really just curious how samaka made her/his signature banner,,, wayyyyyyy cool :D
    Agreed. I'm not one to copy but I'd like to do something similar myself if I knew how. And there is no way a guy would do that, must be a female player ;)
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    grrouper said:

Might not be a bad idea to use this as a tool to catch bots .I know it sucks to have auction house go down but if it leaves that many bots exposed and they can be banned and removed from game it might be a fair tradeoff to shut down randomly once per month for an hour or two.

It's interesting idea.

Sounds unbelievably stupid, but what if randomly once a week, some sort of challenge from the gods randomly popped up when the player wasn't in combat. Something like a "Prove yourself, Mortal!" with a little mini-game that would be quick and easy for a human to solve in a few seconds, but would stop any bots running automatic routines. Cryptic could then just track how many accounts got "stumped" by the test, and suspend those accounts.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    kreatyve said:
    » show previous quotes

There should be an exception for bot accounts. They are a curse on our game and economy.

@mimicking#6533 isn't this an opportunity to mass-ban all these vile leaches?

Record all the hopping-villain account names and ban them all.

They are as bad for your business as they are for us players.

I'm sure every honest player here would applaud you for banning them all right now.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
This discussion has been closed.