test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fishing, I don't get it

santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
edited November 2016 in General Discussion (PC)
So I go out in my khyek, drop anchor and cast a line. I understand that after hooking a fish I am supposed to right click, then QER as indicated. After a bit of QERing, the fish get away. What am I missing in landing the fish???

On a side note, how does one go about upgrading their khyek?

Why does this seem time consuming and difficult when all I wanted to do was gore a few giants and take their treasure!

Comments

• dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    press and hold, don't just click QER

The "daily bar" should start to fill up with ticks ever 1 second or so. Each tick where you are holding the right button the bar advances, each tick you're holding the wrong one the bar declines. If you take too long or if your bar is too empty, the fish gets away.

Pro tip: don't lift your finger from QER to press 1 when you are ready to land the fish. Use your other hand or practice finger-acrobatics.
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    You're missing "and hold." When you just tap the letters you never land the fish because the bar never fills up. f the bar never fills up, the 'land the fish' icon never lights up. it's no QERing it's Press Q and hold or Press E and hold or Press R and hold until the bar fills up and then press 1 to land it lights, Sometimes you have to do a couple extra Press and hold Q or E or R to land the fish.
  • santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    Thank you @dupeks and @grogthemagnif I see my error and am off to fish! It seems "World of Fishing" must be so good an MMO that it can't be escaped!!
  • iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    Khyek is upgraded through the quest line first, then a second time by acquiring a treasure map, and locating the proper treasure map destination. I'm not certain why the second upgrade goes from Uncommon quality to Epic quality, but eh, I'll take it.
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User

Khyek is upgraded through the quest line first, then a second time by acquiring a treasure map, and locating the proper treasure map destination. I'm not certain why the second upgrade goes from Uncommon quality to Epic quality, but eh, I'll take it.

Because to follow the mount meta, the 80% speed khyek should actually have been blue, and we'd have skipped one of green or white (both 50% with mounts).
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • darthsidious#4628 darthsidious Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Does anyone know what the three types of khyek are called? I accidentally discarded the upgraded one instead of the basic one (late night gameplay lol) and now contacting support for help.
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    i try samething, to hold the keys, i keep losing the fish, wasted 10 more baits
    not in mood to struggle and to understand QER format. i get the bar filled and it got away each time
  • emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    Havent started Moving Ice yet but I got a few questions? Does bait run out? If yes how do you get more? Do they sell better fishing rods (rare, epic etc) and do they provide faster fishing or a chance at better catch or maybe both?
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Yes, bait runs out. You can buy lugworms (low quality bait) from the campaign store for vblod or the merchant on barbarian island for gold.

Krill is better bait, it comes from doing campaign tasks in SoMI and sometimes from treasure chests (maps). You can't buy more from stores.

Better bait increases the chance of higher quality fish.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    emilemo said:

Do they sell better fishing rods (rare, epic etc) and do they provide faster fishing or a chance at better catch or maybe both?

You can get a purple fishing rod through treasure map. Yes, you can fish faster using purple. I don't think it gives you better chance.

You can get a purple boat through treasure map. Yes, you can move faster using purple.

You can buy a green rod from the vblood store but I believe you can get a purple one from treasure map before you are qualified to buy a green one (hence, no point to do so).
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    You can get IV fish using lugworms. Save krill for trying for completing collections. Purple rods make it easier to land better fish but I reeled in blues with the standard rod as well and that's what you need for mats for the weapon set.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • nimrosnimros Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    Fishing is horrible in this game. Gave it about 10 minutes, felt like I was playing a Dance Dance Revolution cheapo. Think I'll give it a miss.
    Ps. Ahoy, Dupeks!
  • dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    nimros said:

Fishing is horrible in this game. Gave it about 10 minutes, felt like I was playing a Dance Dance Revolution cheapo. Think I'll give it a miss.
    Ps. Ahoy, Dupeks!

Ahoy Opus <3

I think it's pretty telling that the new mod has 2 different forms of fishing, neither of which are particularly enjoyable. SoMI is definitely worse, since it's a major part of the new content progression.

I do like the treasure hunting, but fishing for bottles is pretty awful. The mini-DDR game is clunky and especially bad if there is any lag at all (which there often is in the new zones). I wish it was either:
    1) a little bit more set-and-forget so that I could at least watch TV in the background (but no, you have to pay close attention to the words that pop on-screen or the highlighted button)
    2) a little bit more engaging. Something that you could get better at, where perhaps different fish could have strategies to better catch them and you could start to notice the patterns if you payed attention (but no, it appears that the only difference between fish tiers/varieties is the amount of "fishy progress" gained or lost with each tick)

Alas, right now it's the worst of both worlds. I spend most of my time looking at the power bar for the highlighted box (it's easier than reading the word). I can't look away in case a different button highlights, so the image of the power bar gets burned into my brain. How beautiful.

To be honest, it feels like this was designed to be *ahem* automated. Why would any human endure this boredom/tedium? It's banally easy to fish but requires precise reaction to very obvious stimuli... the closer you are to being a robot with perfect reflexes and no sense of self-worth the better you are at fishing...

Needless to say, after getting my purple boat (which still has a godawful turn radius... really?) I kind of stopped fishing. I don't like feeling like I'm wasting my life playing a game (I know I am, but can't it at least feel satisfying?)
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    It's so open to automating that it is being automated already. Actually, the bots were out in force on launch day. Cryptic tried to make fishing a mini game to stymie bots with a view toward putting it on on skill nodes and then putting better loot in. They failed.

They should go back to the drawing board. I suggest they spend more time with the STO Dev team, it seems to me that's where Cryptic's real innovators are these days.
  • boldorianboldorian Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    pitshade said:

You can get IV fish using lugworms. Save krill for trying for completing collections. Purple rods make it easier to land better fish but I reeled in blues with the standard rod as well and that's what you need for mats for the weapon set.

Please help me understand your information regarding reeling in blues as they are needed for materials for the weapons set. I have been trying to figure out what to do with my Blue and Purple fish to gain the materials, but I am lost on this one. I must have missed those instructions at the begining, and my bags are quite full. Do we make them in professions, or turn them in somewhere?? Any help will be apprectiated. Thanks :)
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    boldorian said:

pitshade said:

Please help me understand your information regarding reeling in blues as they are needed for materials for the weapons set. I have been trying to figure out what to do with my Blue and Purple fish to gain the materials, but I am lost on this one. I must have missed those instructions at the begining, and my bags are quite full. Do we make them in professions, or turn them in somewhere?? Any help will be apprectiated. Thanks :)
    There are blues and then there are blues...

The tooltip for a blue fish will reveal if it can be turned into weapon mats. Additionally, there is an option to 'open' the fish in the right click menu. If no option appears, the fish is only worth being sold to the fishmonger. IIRC, if you look at the collections page, you can read the tooltips for every kind of fish, including where it can be found. (the fishing hole names aren't listed in game but you should be able to find maps online that list them) Purple fish are only worth turning in to the fishmonger and for collections.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • boldorianboldorian Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    pitshade said:

boldorian said:

pitshade said:

The tooltip for a blue fish will reveal if it can be turned into weapon mats. Additionally, there is an option to 'open' the fish in the right click menu. If no option appears, the fish is only worth being sold to the fishmonger. IIRC, if you look at the collections page, you can read the tooltips for every kind of fish, including where it can be found. (the fishing hole names aren't listed in game but you should be able to find maps online that list them) Purple fish are only worth turning in to the fishmonger and for collections.
    Thank for the information Pitshade!! So I didn't miss anything, just the right fish. I have been right clicking on the fish, and so far non are exchangeable. As for the purple fish, I guess they had me going when I have been getting so many from Treasure Hunting. ;)
  • ichimaruginxichimaruginx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited November 2016

So I go out in my khyek, drop anchor and cast a line. I understand that after hooking a fish I am supposed to right click, then QER as indicated. After a bit of QERing, the fish get away. What am I missing in landing the fish???

The rarity level of the fishing rod might also affect that sometimes. I find that I was not able to reeling any tier V fishes and some of tier IV ones with the regular fishing rod (white) even if I pressed everything correctly, some IVs are alright though.
    emilemo said:

Do they sell better fishing rods (rare, epic etc) and do they provide faster fishing or a chance at better catch or maybe both?

After getting the purple rod, I can fished the tier V ones easily so I think a purple rod makes it easier to 'reel in' the purple and some blue fishes. If you wanna increase the chance that a rarer fish will 'bite your bait'/appear, Krills are what you're looking for as stated by @kvet.
  • qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User
    boldorian said:

pitshade said:

boldorian said:

pitshade said:

Thank for the information Pitshade!! So I didn't miss anything, just the right fish. I have been right clicking on the fish, and so far non are exchangeable. As for the purple fish, I guess they had me going when I have been getting so many from Treasure Hunting. ;)
    To save you a little work, the four Tier IV (Blue) fish you are searching for are:

Icebound Welk found in Shipwreck, Seagrass Flat, Oyster Reef and Ice Cave

Myrmidon found in Shoals, Shallows, Estuary and Brackish Water

Runechanged Nauitloid found in Northern Current, Eastern Current, Southern Current and Western Current

Ventdiver found in Ocean Trench, Thermal Vent, Icecrag Island and Deep Sea

One thing about Tier IV fish, from my experience you will hook/land around 5 regular Tier IV fish for every guttable Tier IV fish at a given location. You will need plenty of patience and persistance if you are hoping to farm them. Good luck :)

• samaka#2511 samaka Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    edited November 2016

The rarity level of the fishing rod might also affect that sometimes. I find that I was not able to reeling any tier V fishes and some of tier IV ones with the regular fishing rod (white) even if I pressed everything correctly, some IVs are alright though.
    Actually, if you get the right timing you CAN reel in a purple fish with the standard white quality fishing rod... I've personally reeled in 3 giant squid with the white rod, and have also had about 5 purple fish get away... so obviously a fishing rod that reels faster will be better, but it is not impossible!

I practically never lose a blue fish, even with the white rod, unless the game lags and my reeling key presses aren't being registered properly, which doesn't happen often, but is frustrating when it does happen! :(

EDIT: By "right timing" I don't mean pressing the reeling-in keys on time... I mean that it seems when you reel in fish the reeling speed can vary while holding down the key. Sometimes you can get a bunch of fast ones in a row, which is great for catching a purple fish with a white rod, however, if you get a couple slow reels then forget about catching that purple fish with a white rod! ;)

@samaka#2511
  • gphxgphxgphxgphx Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    Pro fishing tip: Skip all these new areas with their endless heroics, snowblind, and complicated fishing. You'll miss out on a few feats but who cares.
  • emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    Tried some fishing (boooring activity). The white rod lets me catch anything upto IV. I've had 3 lvl V fish hooked and all of them escaped so I think Ill hold off any further attempts till I get a better fishing rod. Oh btw I didnt see much difference between krill and worms as long as I was in the rich fishing area with the birds above it.
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
    The catching of a level V fish with a white rod takes perfect timing, you really can't let the AP bar go backwards at all... and it also has a bit of random luck depending on how fast the reeling goes for each change of the reeling keys.

As I mentioned earlier, I did manage to catch 3 tier V squid with a white rod, but that is all, the remaining all got away. A higher quality rod is definitely required for reliably reeling in tier V fish.

All that said... omg, yes fishing is very, very boring! :(
    @samaka#2511
    wylonus said:

i try samething, to hold the keys, i keep losing the fish, wasted 10 more baits
    not in mood to struggle and to understand QER format. i get the bar filled and it got away each time

New Hint: When the arrow changes, hold that key instead. Second hint: Sometimes the fish sees your ugly face and dives back into the water turning off the 'Press 1 to land fish' circle, press and hold the lit key until the 'Press 1 to land fish' circle is relit and then Press 1.
    Find the map that has the Purple Rod as treasure, mine was on the SW alarm Icon island with the Dragon turtle shell behind the hut.
    I do believe that only the purple khyek is on a static treasure map... pretty sure the purple fishing rod is a random chance from any of the treasure maps! :)
    @samaka#2511
  • sorce#8115 sorce Member Posts: 1,009 Arc User
    Correct - the purple rod is a random drop. It can be from any of the treasure map locations (except of cause the Khyek, which is the only item you get when you get that map).