test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Treasure Maps - Thanks, Cryptic!

cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
There tends to be a lot of negativity around here (nature of the beast), so I thought I'd drop a line here just saying thanks to Cryptic for getting Treasure Maps right.

I *like* hunting for the locations. I *want* to get more maps. I *will* put in the time to fish to get them.

Why?

You've made it worth my while. After ~10-15 maps, I'm sitting on about 500k of relic weapon RP already (before 2xRP), about the same in regular RP (including a Brilliant Diamond!), have a swanky purple boat.... I'm feeling like my time is being rewarded.

If dungeon rewards paid out like this, you'd see a big influx of people running them.

Anyways, well done on the system. I hope to see similar loot tables appearing in dungeons in the near future.

Comments

• hroya#2189 hroya Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Treasurehunting is fun and geeps am i bad at it hahaha. But i dont care. I am not playing to be "the best" or have "the best".
    I just want to be entertained and get challenges i refuse to outgear/build so it becomes dull and boring.

The new map is great. I like the boats, the fishing and occassionally getting wacked silly by the mobs. It's quite nice to do something different from beating the same mobs every day, day in day out, for daily quests. Now i can just grab my boat, head out and go fishing and maybe score another treasuremap that drives me crazy *sniff* haha
    Plus, these boats give an excellent oppertunity to host a boat race as a guildevent. Cruising fun with a reward at the end.

I am entertained.
  • kangkeokkangkeok Member Posts: 1,123 Arc User
    Yup. I like the variety of things the new map gives. It feels like a holiday resort with so many things to do. My favorite is always treasure hunting. I thought i m the only one that loves this update. Glad to hear there are some like minded ppl here :)
  • kallephi#0836 kallephi Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    Ya, treasure maps are a really nice thing. Thanks cryptic for that
    Ly'saaera, Hellbringer Fury Scourge Warlock of Thieves World
    Hælja, Swordmaster Conqueror Guardian Fighter of Thieves World
  • qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User
    The treasure maps are definitely a nice addition as the contents of the chests they lead to are certainly worth a lot more than the ones currently found in most dungeons. However, I'm sorry but I'm afraid I still find fishing to get them to be dull, tedious and boring. The bug with the camera zoom kicking quite often doesn't help matters.

The big problem with both fishing and tracking down the locations indicated on the treasure maps is quite simply time. Even with the help provided by people who identified the locations, it can still take a lot of time to claim your reward. At least having access to the VIP travel signpost combined with instance jumping to get back to fireplaces quickly has reduced this somewhat. But that still leaves little to no time to play other parts of the game, especially if you want to play more than one character.
  • urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    I like the concept but some of the spots are really glitchy. Getting to some of them involves trying to go up some mountains that have invisible walls, jumping puzzles that involve guessing games to find what you can actually jump on, and jumps that just aren't reasonable for classes without a dodge. Some of these spots would've been fine if cryptic had added clues to show that you're on the right track. It just needs that added level of polish that would make it obvious you're not forcing your way up a mountain via unintended glitches on the wrong path.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • voidgiftvoidgift Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 286 Arc User
    I did like it too. So much that I maxed elk tribe support. Then I bought a bunch of maps on AH, cause fishing did not make sense anymore. It seems like there is some internal cooldown on the maps, csuse all I got after the first two maps was fish, loads of it. It was almost as much of a waste of money as buying the purple trovel.
    With dreams to be a king, first one should be a man.

Rise to POWER with <House of Power>.

The Exterminator - (NW-DLNXF3BGG)
  • matiagronxmatiagronx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Maps worked for 2 days, now they are dead. Great move Cryptic once again. Instead of making maps in bottle bound to account you literally HAMSTER it up by making them unbound, thus everyone fishing ONLY for maps in bottles, saturating everything in 2 days and making all loots obsolete. Who DECIDED THIS? Was it @panderus again? Why you ALWAYS have to destroy anything good in this game? EVERY TIME..EVERY TIME
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    I think it's great the bottles are unbound. I was shocked to see it, but pleasantly so. What I found infinitely annoying is that the special relic RP gems are bound, and that they need to be restored themselves to reach full potential. THAT is moronic....
  • cerberusxllcerberusxll Member Posts: 387 Arc User
    yeah, the maps are good for what they offer.

me being the cynic I am, combined with this company's shoddy behaviour towards it's player base makes me think a nerf will be incoming sooner rather than later, either drop rate, recoverable items gained from them, or BTC on acquisition (or all 3), so I'm making hay while the sun still shines.
    Cerberus | Scylla | Orion | Makelo | Nemesis | Ares | Artemis | Asclepius | Nyx | Hades | Dexithea | Dolos | Demonax | Athena | Enyo | Medusa | Talos | Alcyone
  • xxmantaraxxxxmantaraxx Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    I casn see it now, New patch notes incoming!

Bug found: Unbound Bottles
    Bottles not WAI made them bound because bots and stuff.

XD

Indeed, make hay while the sun shines!

Ara Atheanes GWF
    Traxus Atheanes GF
    Bastiel Atheanes DC
    Ellara Atheanes CW
    Keira Atheanes TR
    Sarasin Atheanes SW
    Jerkface McGee HR
    -MANTARA- OP

• gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    Thumbs up from my guild! Even hardcore pvp-ers are happily zooming around on their boats. And when you see people saying "I don't want to move because I found a good spot" you know you've hit the mark.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User

Hey all, just wanted to drop in and say that making the bottles unbound was intentional to keep treasure hunting involved with the economy. I'm glad to hear so many people are enjoying fishing and treasure hunting, so thanks for all the feedback!

va8Ru.gif
  • ilmenirailmenira Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 269 Arc User
    really enjoyable!
    thank you! :)
  • asterdahlasterdahl Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,258 Cryptic Developer
    kvet said:

I found infinitely annoying is that the special relic RP gems are bound, and that they need to be restored themselves to reach full potential.

Just a heads up on the design of the refinement stones that can be restored, it's intentional that restoring them won't really feel sensible, at least for the first few weeks as the restoration materials will be in high demand for the base item. They're intended as a secondary outlet for those items as less and less people need them for the base item.

There will be an inflection point where the price of the materials makes it worthwhile to restore them. Obviously, if you'd like to hold onto them until that point, you're free to do so, but we mostly tuned the drops around the base values they granted before restoration.

• kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    Interesting - but since they're bound and I have little use RP on my main and my alts aren't remotely capable of doing STK, I'll probably end up just selling them for gold. I don't recall if they are Account bound - if they are they'll eventually end up fed to some artifact on an alt just to clear my inventory....
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    all i have to say is:
    graphic performances are down the toilet,
    i have no bag space left for any activity,
    i dont like being forced to do HE.
    nice ideas, really bad implementation.

• silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    I disagree, its just part and parcel of a entire broken mod, where for some BIZZARO world.. fishing rewards you more then running dungeons.

They have no right to claim this is a mmo at this point.

None of this garbage should be the basis for acquiring weapons.
  • mysteriasdrassamysteriasdrassa Member Posts: 299 Arc User
    Love, love, love treasure hunting,,,, finally someting a little bit puzzle-like,,, something this game is severely lacking,,, yeah,, the hack and slash, kill everything and leave a pile of dead bodies in your wake is nice,,, but D&D was not just about that,,, in all honestly,, i'd like to see some actuall puzzle type puzzles in the game,,, where you have to solve them in order to complete the quest,,, something like DDO has, basicly turning tiles to get a line of power from source to goal,,, some of those were downright HARD,, with a capital H, A, R and D,,,, intead of fighting an uber boss at quest end,,, solve a puzzle while trying to fend off the spawning mobs,,, while your at it,,, put some more riddles back into the game,,, you started out with a few way back near the begining where you had to answer correctly to pass safely or fight off the gaurdian if you didn't,,, but they kinda faded from sight,,,, please cryptic,, put some more challenges in for those of us who like to use our minds and not just mindlessly slash thru every monster that crosses our path,,,, and,, thanks again for treasure hunting :D
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User

Love, love, love treasure hunting,,,, finally someting a little bit puzzle-like,,, something this game is severely lacking,,, yeah,, the hack and slash, kill everything and leave a pile of dead bodies in your wake is nice,,, but D&D was not just about that,,, in all honestly,, i'd like to see some actuall puzzle type puzzles in the game,,, where you have to solve them in order to complete the quest,,, something like DDO has, basicly turning tiles to get a line of power from source to goal,,, some of those were downright HARD,, with a capital H, A, R and D,,,, intead of fighting an uber boss at quest end,,, solve a puzzle while trying to fend off the spawning mobs,,, while your at it,,, put some more riddles back into the game,,, you started out with a few way back near the begining where you had to answer correctly to pass safely or fight off the gaurdian if you didn't,,, but they kinda faded from sight,,,, please cryptic,, put some more challenges in for those of us who like to use our minds and not just mindlessly slash thru every monster that crosses our path,,,, and,, thanks again for treasure hunting :D

+1

D&D in the beginning awarded XP for gold obtained, so very often it was more efficient to avoid combats and just find other ways to get to the loot.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • weaver936weaver936 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 443 Arc User

I disagree, its just part and parcel of a entire broken mod, where for some BIZZARO world.. fishing rewards you more then running dungeons.

*self edited*

This game is finally becoming a REAL MMORPG... not some psuedo First Person Shooter.

“Improvise, Adapt and Overcome!”

― Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge

Guild Leader of Ardent Justice HQ: Always recruiting People not Pixels.

FOUNDER and OWNER of the SKT3K Channel: SKT Only Content 3k+. http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1228278/skt-content-for-the-non-elite-video-links-provided
  • lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    weaver936 said:

*self edited*

This game is finally becoming a REAL MMORPG... not some psuedo First Person Shooter.

We obviously have differing opinions of what a "real" MMORPG should be. And pseudo 1st person shooter, I think not, action packed RPG, maybe.
  • emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    cdnbison said:

There tends to be a lot of negativity around here (nature of the beast), so I thought I'd drop a line here just saying thanks to Cryptic for getting Treasure Maps right.

I *like* hunting for the locations. I *want* to get more maps. I *will* put in the time to fish to get them.

Why?

You've made it worth my while. After ~10-15 maps, I'm sitting on about 500k of relic weapon RP already (before 2xRP), about the same in regular RP (including a Brilliant Diamond!), have a swanky purple boat.... I'm feeling like my time is being rewarded.

If dungeon rewards paid out like this, you'd see a big influx of people running them.

Anyways, well done on the system. I hope to see similar loot tables appearing in dungeons in the near future.

Аwesome! So, if the game gave such great rewards all the time who would ever pay money to get ahead? Hmm I seem to recall a time when RP dropped like rain from HEs in Icewind Dale resulting in many players running them. Of course the rewards were nerfed severely soon after. History repeats itself
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    edited November 2016

, i'd like to see some actuall puzzle type puzzles in the game, where you have to solve them in order to complete the quest

They had a (non quest related) puzzle in GWD. you had to activate 4 lights in the correct order. Like SIMON.
    It got removed.

The reward was terrible as is customary for this game. Sorry.
    Post edited by nameexpired on
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
  • therealprotextherealprotex Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 526 Arc User

Hey all, just wanted to drop in and say that making the bottles unbound was intentional to keep treasure hunting involved with the economy. I'm glad to hear so many people are enjoying fishing and treasure hunting, so thanks for all the feedback!

First, I lol'ed at that. Then I cringed. Because it Shows that you will (once again) ignore tenth of pages of criticism on fishing and overall grinding and claim from a handfull of posts in this thread that fishing is what the community wanted.
  • lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    edited November 2016

First, I lol'ed at that. Then I cringed. Because it Shows that you will (once again) ignore tenth of pages of criticism on fishing and overall grinding and claim from a handfull of posts in this thread that fishing is what the community wanted.
    Absolutely agree - 110%

Although you know what, I am glad that at least some people are enjoying it. And I probably would enjoy the treasure map thing, if it wasn't gated behind HAMSTER boring fishing.

and the fact that the Devs respond to a handful of people that like this HAMSTER mod and go "wow this is awesome" I think it is sad and out of touch. Hopefully its just me.
    Post edited by ironzerg79 on
  • lowenduslowendus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 322 Arc User

This.
  • kangkeokkangkeok Member Posts: 1,123 Arc User

I think u misunderstood. He meant to appreciate the part of community that enjoy the new content and not to meant that fishing is what the community wanted.