test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mod10.5 tanking Orcus/other bosses and strategies.

nic1985nic1985 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 415 Arc User
The recent changes to OP affect how we tank, especially dealing with Orcus.

For me tanking just used to be what encounters to slot and there was a lot of leeway.

Now tanking is having decent base Damage Resistance/Recovery,
slotting the best encounters/class features and having good heals/party support.

**Atm Orcus is the only hard hitting boss to be most concern, the bosses
in FBI pale in comparison to Orcus, in my experience.

There been a few shared strategies for Orcus:

-Encounters: Bane, BO, Templar, Absolution, Circle of Power.
-Dailies: Divine Protection, Shield of Faith
-Class Features: Wisdom, Protection, Truth
-At will: Shielding Strike, Valorious Strike, Radiant Strike

*My rotation is apply 3x Bane to Orcus, pop BO,
pop Divine Protection ("All damage you take while DP is active is reduced 60%"),
lunge at Orcus with Radiant Strike, pop Templar, Shielding Strike, rinse and repeat. Shield daily
I prefer during battle cause it last longer.

*You can request support to help out, like Astral Shield, Break the Spirit, Glow from DC.
Or another healadin/pally with circle of power/etc...

I m going to tests further with a few different builds/stats (Shadowclad + Deflect stats). My ideal build
is for my pally able to hold Orcus when support is missing/died.

Hopefully we all share/feedback to further improve our game play.

Comments

• rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    My setup was Binding Oath, Templar's Wrath, and Burning Light, with Radiant Strike as the Gapcloser and Shielding Strike for the lulz.

I used Heroism to approach Orcus (since I didn't press Templar's Wrath at first). However, I was thinking about @thefabricant's idea of using Shield of Faith + Templar's + Hold shield to approach Orcus (once you get setup, Orcus is a breeze).

I am going to look into Bane though, I keep forgetting that it's not just a DR debuff but also a damage debuff.

I dunno about your statement of FBI bosses don't hit hard, I was running an FBI last night with an average team on my GF and that turtle was hitting me for like 100K Everfrost damage every time my shield was down.

• balufunkebalufunke Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 165 Arc User
    The problem I have with my OP is, gaining AP fast enough for Divine Protection. I tried the rotation: Bane, BO, DP, Templars Wrath. Without DP I can get one shotted. With the new roations I need DP a lot more than before. (I used to cast it only when Orcus throws his death bubbles). Now I have to work on AP gain and recovery more then ever, untill I find another solution.
  • bmfblaze25bmfblaze25 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I don't understand why they are nerfing the pally into oblivion.. Really before I was a justice/light build and could handle things with ease and Orcus never posed a threat but now just a simple 20% DR reduction (seems like a lot more than that) And now as Nic1985 has implied we have to exact powers, feature, and daily to even survive the encounter.. I did 2 CN runs and had soo much trouble tanking Orcus that I decided to WASTE a re-spec token to go the more tankier build in Bulwark right? WRONG still got my HAMSTER handed to me.. Pretty much have to use certain powers if you plan to survive now.
  • nic1985nic1985 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 415 Arc User
    @rjc9000 .very interesting BL is in your rotation, is it for the 8secs 100% healing? And very nice Heroism to approach Orcus.
    In my dozen runs of FBI, rarely does any of the bosses penetrate thru my temp HP. However there were one or two instances that turtle wipe my whole team, we just got back up, it must have been a full moon.

@balufunke..Recovery is an important stat for sure! I think min you want is 8K...i go as high as 18K with my bonding proc. I would suggest the Cleric class artifact if you don't have one yet.

@bmfblaze25... indeed it was a heavy nerf! Hopefully they will re-adjust some of the powers or ideally give us another layer of DR to combat these bosses.
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    nic1985 said:

@rjc9000 .very interesting BL is in your rotation, is it for the 8secs 100% healing? And very nice Heroism to approach Orcus.
    In my dozen runs of FBI, rarely does any of the bosses penetrate thru my temp HP. However there were one or two instances that turtle wipe my whole team, we just got back up, it must have been a full moon.

@balufunke..Recovery is an important stat for sure! I think min you want is 8K...i go as high as 18K with my bonding proc. I would suggest the Cleric class artifact if you don't have one yet.

@bmfblaze25... indeed it was a heavy nerf! Hopefully they will re-adjust some of the powers or ideally give us another layer of DR to combat these bosses.

I don't think Burning Light does any self healing for a Tankadin.

I was actually using Burning Light for a CN run because I literally hadn't changed my loadout from pre-Mod10.5. I used to use Burning Light for Owlbear cub as well as building large amounts of AP.

I use Bane in place of Burning Light for bosses for its all around bonuses for the team as well as me not dying.

@rjc9000, I see that make sense with owlbear, the 8secs 100% healing i was thinking of is from "Oath of Protection: You receive 100% more healing while emitting light."

Bane is my fav power to slot for most boss encounters.
  • donnythdonnyth Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    When assessing OP's you have to see them in comparison to GF's. Right now, GF's are superior because they have a better taunt because they can block while taunting. OP has to release sanctuary to cast encounters and once they do that, they die to Orcus's hits. OP has taunting at-wills but they have to release sanctuary to attack. The devs wanted people to use sanctuary more that's why they buffed from 60 to 80% dr, but they failed to give OP's any abilities while using it. Also, sanctuary is bugged because there is a slight delay from pressing shift and actually getting the dr.

GF's also have invulnerability which gives them some time for healers to react.

I have seen 3.3 gs OP's unable to tank Orcus and the min requirement is 2k lol. Right now, OP's are pretty much unviable.
    Secrets of the Ring ID: nw-dt25qalqy
  • emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    donnyth said:

I have seen 3.3 gs OP's unable to tank Orcus and the min requirement is 2k lol. Right now, OP's are pretty much unviable.

And right there is the truth. I dont care if a party with a pally can tank CN IF there is also a AC DC stacking AA on top of everything else. I dont care if a 4k OP can tank CN, such toons are a minority. A viable tank needs to be at least somewhat independent and able to survive the hardest hits on his own, even the best parties miss a beat here and there and its in those moments a good tank really takes a hit. Can he however endure the hit? GFs can via simple Blocking, OPs might be able to if they stack 3 defensive encounters and a daily. Is that fair, especially when considering the other aspects beside tanking. GF not only protects better, he buffs better, he has higher base damage.

We are in need of balancing and I hope you look into that @asterdahl
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • bmfblaze25bmfblaze25 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    But a GF just has things too easy.. Cryptic doesn't care for the OP as we can see since the class released it has had nothing but nerfs.. And truly and honestly a GF doesn't even have to hold threat to tank just turn KV on and boom its like 20 second bubbles all over again. You are right everyone wants a GF over OP because GF gets waay more love but what about us few that like to tank with an OP? I guess we are getting the short straw guys.
  • emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    rjc9000 said:

My setup was Binding Oath, Templar's Wrath, and Burning Light, with Radiant Strike as the Gapcloser and Shielding Strike for the lulz.

I used Heroism to approach Orcus (since I didn't press Templar's Wrath at first). However, I was thinking about @thefabricant's idea of using Shield of Faith + Templar's + Hold shield to approach Orcus (once you get setup, Orcus is a breeze).

I am going to look into Bane though, I keep forgetting that it's not just a DR debuff but also a damage debuff.

I dunno about your statement of FBI bosses don't hit hard, I was running an FBI last night with an average team on my GF and that turtle was hitting me for like 100K Everfrost damage every time my shield was down.

You dont even know Bane and yet you presume to lecture others. What paladin tank are you? One hiding behind clerics? One hiding behind 4k item level? BL for what? For Orcus perhaps? What tactical use does burning light have at the Orcus fight? To help you die while charging it perhaps? Anyway, im done reading you.
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • balufunkebalufunke Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 165 Arc User
    What I don´t like is relying on a daily like DP for the surviving. With the mentioned rotation above it´s kind of working on a perma bubble.
    @balufunke, DP is a good daily to initially engage a hard boss, before u gain bonding/other bonuses to boost your defensiveness. Shield or Heroism can be use after.