test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is your high rank Guild almost dead?

okeepheokeephe Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 75 Arc User
And are you the last rank 7 in it, and you thinking of quitting? Or have you already quit and your high ranking guild is now dormant?

If so contact me and I will guild sit for you in case you ever decide to come back. I have a solo rank 4 guild now, and it will be very slow for me to solo much past rank 5, and there are many many dormant higher rank guilds just sitting there doing nothing, and it's sad. A lot of work was put into them.

Don't bother trolling, just a suggestion.

Comments

• Options
    mightyerikssonmightyeriksson Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    This sounds like a great idea, completely safe and all...
  • Options
    kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    I'm sure your being forthright in your offer, but I doubt anyone will hand the keys to an advanced guild over to an outsider.

Honestly, if your guild is depopulated and therefore impossible to advance, you should recruit new members and grow it or make an alt the leader of what is now your personal guild, and put your main in another guild with a higher rank.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    I have a very hard time believing that guilds that have progressed past maybe around rank 4 or so have subsequently become "almost dead".

Lots of tiny guilds burn out fast, but the more advanced ones keep chugging along, precisely because their members aren't about to let all that go.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    triflentriflen Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    My guild is rank 20 and people are still dying to get in for the guild boons alone. out of 150 accounts allowed we sit around 147 ( we leave some open for flexibility since we remove people after 30 days inactivity) and alts are about 385 out of 500. So I would not say the power guilds are dying by any means. Honestly if you are solo in a guild hand it to an alt and use the bank space for guild as your own personal storage. Many do this by choice as its a great way to hold items on all your alts.
  • Options
    Never hurts to ask. Doesn't matter what rank your guild is or how many people are still logging in, if you have no rank 7s, it is rudderless. This is the biggest danger, you help build up a guild and the last rank 7 walks out with out appointing a replacement.

This had never occurred to me either, until a rank 9 guild asked for my help. They were going to have a meeting ( my suggestion) to decide what to do, and no one showed up, so they scheduled another meeting the following Friday, and I have heard nothing. They have 3 rank 7 accts, one has not been on since august, another hadn't been on since early sept, but did pop in briefly, and the last one was coming on once or twice a week, but has not responded in a couple of weeks now.

I have a rank 4 solo guild myself, that I have levelled by myself.
  • Options
    If no rank 7 member logs in after a period of time (30 days?), then members are prompted to claim rank 7. If the rank 7 leaders are logging in but not interested in the guild - there is nothing you can do about it. Time to find another guild.

I don't mean to be glib. There is absolutely nothing you can do if the active rank 7 members aren't interested or responsive. Simple as that.
  • Options
    emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    Not a very good joke op
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    kvet said:

If no rank 7 member logs in after a period of time (30 days?), then members are prompted to claim rank 7. If the rank 7 leaders are logging in but not interested in the guild - there is nothing you can do about it. Time to find another guild.

I don't mean to be glib. There is absolutely nothing you can do if the active rank 7 members aren't interested or responsive. Simple as that.

When I took over LoL leadership, I don't recall the game overtly prompting anything, it was just an unobstrusive button that appeared on the roster.

If your rank 7s are logging in just often enough to keep this from activating, asking them to attend a meeting is probably too much commitment. Send a tell or mail (politely) asking them to promote someone who actually still cares.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    samerikersameriker Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    I have a level 1 guild and I am the only Rank 7. I left 2 rank 6 in charge of things in the event the 30 day option pops up to call me by phone if need be. But as seldom as I play, I am not worried for some reason. Maybe because it is virtual real estate? I put effort into it but it isn't like a real investment over time. Guild sitting is a chore, I hope you get paid well.
    Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident; the only earthly certainty is oblivion. ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    "If your rank 7s are logging in just often enough to keep this from activating, asking them to attend a meeting is probably too much commitment. Send a tell or mail (politely) asking them to promote someone who actually still cares. "

This is exactly what I suggested the guild members do. only a handful of people showed up fro eh first meeting, no rank 7. I don't if anyone showed up for the 2nd meeting as I have been unable to contact anyone involved.

This is a rank 9 guild with 3 rank 7 accts, One has not been on since early Sept, One since late Aug and the 3rd pops in once a month or so, but has no interest in running things.

I am willing to bet there are hundreds of dead guilds and more than a few are rank 5 or higher. I have heard of one or two almost rank 20 guilds that are totally dead, but not sure if they are real or urban legend.
  • Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    Yeah it happens. Getting a guild to GH20 requires a lot of commitment and can quite easily lead to burnout for those at the top. Having a long term goal is great but to do it in a reasonable time frame means those players have spent a lot of energy on it and it's not uncommon for them to want time off or move on.

The other side of the coin is that these people have spent so much on achieving it they are loath to hand over the reins to someone else. Because of the effort/expense required in achieving a high rank, it's not as though they can just go start another guild if the new leadership doesn't want them back.

I agree that an inactive leadership negatively affects members attitudes. This can be somewhat offset by v. active rank 6's but not totally.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    sameriker said:

I have a level 1 guild and I am the only Rank 7. I left 2 rank 6 in charge of things in the event the 30 day option pops up to call me by phone if need be. But as seldom as I play, I am not worried for some reason. Maybe because it is virtual real estate? I put effort into it but it isn't like a real investment over time. Guild sitting is a chore, I hope you get paid well.

@sameriker if your guild is only rank 1 and you are hardly ever on, do you not think it'd be fairer to promote one or both of your rank 6's to rank 7's? They are obviously putting in more effort than you so should they not share leader status?

Just because someone is in the leader position when a guild was created doesn't mean they've contributed to the guild's success or advancement. Maybe your rank 6's would feel more motivated to advance the guild if they had equal status? I mean, getting past GH1 is not difficult - yours still being at that level suggests there's a motivation issue among its active members.

• Options
    asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    armadeonx said:

sameriker said:

@sameriker if your guild is only rank 1 and you are hardly ever on, do you not think it'd be fairer to promote one or both of your rank 6's to rank 7's? They are obviously putting in more effort than you so should they not share leader status?

Just because someone is in the leader position when a guild was created doesn't mean they've contributed to the guild's success or advancement. Maybe your rank 6's would feel more motivated to advance the guild if they had equal status? I mean, getting past GH1 is not difficult - yours still being at that level suggests there's a motivation issue among its active members.
    Where are the contributions to a rank 1 guild? Guild bank slots. Who contributed? In most cases the founders?

When my guild became inactive, before stronghold, I kicked all inactive members except my cofounders, who contributed, as I did. Why? If I ever take a haitus, I dont want to come back and see, that someone who was in our guild for a few month and logged in after two years went 'ok, nice. Lets take over the guild and sell the HAMSTER'.

Furthermore there is an inactive R 6 guild, we leveled for stronghold. After most of the players left we changed guilds and some of us use it as storage.

I dont see someone with an inactive guild, R 1 or R 7+, hand it over, bc someone asked nicely. Transfer leadership to more active players, yes. That is what happened a few weeks ago in the R 20 guild I am a part of. A gift or a loan, no.

Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • Options
    Tell that to all the dead guilds floating in Limbo.
  • Options
    kreatyve said:

My guild on PC has several very trustworthy people at rank 7, this way if one of us needs to take a break, someone is always there to keep an eye on things and do what needs to be done for the guild. However, my Xbox guild is a different story. I am much more strict there and starting off a lot slower, so I am the only rank 7 in that guild. I would not feel comfortable handing the lead to anyone who I did not completely trust 100%, especially someone who I've never interacted with who would be asking for it. Just my 2 cents.

I would rephrase your last sentance:
    "I would not feel comfortable handing the lead to anyone who is asking for it."

In the Cloaks - the ONLY TIME in the entire history of the guild I ever ran into a problem with a Rank 7 leader was when I gave it to someone who asked for it. Eventually, that person turned out to be a massive disaster that almost completely destroyed the Blackcloaks guild - it's probably the only major example of drama in the whole lifetime of the Cloaks. No other leader - and there have been a many over the years - was grant Rank 7 after asking for it. To me, it's a position granted by invitation not by application.

To circle back to the OP... I understand your offer. But, the truth is that no guild leader worth his or her salt that's presiding over a major guild (or any guild for that matter, though you're clearly targeting major ones here) would even consider it.

• Options
    That's because you miss the point of the whole conversation.

No decent guild leader is going to hand of the reins unless THEY ARE NOT PLANNING TO COME BACK.

If you had a high ranking guild and you were leaving, with no intention of coming back, do you just let it die?

The point is, if you have people still in your guild, you can hand it to them. What if you don't?
  • Options
    okeephe said:

The point is, if you have people still in your guild, you can hand it to them. What if you don't?

If I pulled a big disappearing act, then in 30 days the next highest ranked person that was still logging in would be able to take over, if they wanted. This is how I assumed leadership in the first place, and I'd never intentionally stick anyone else in that position.

But if I wasn't prepared to arrange handing off control to one of my own guildies or another person selected by me, I sure would not be looking around on the forums for some random person willing to take control of abandoned guilds either.

This strikes me as no different than guilds where the leader has arranged to hand off control to someone who then decides to kick a bunch of people and other complaints of that nature. While I'm sure that you don't want that kind of association, you'd be a stranger to many, and they have no reason to trust you.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    okeephe said:

That's because you miss the point of the whole conversation.

No decent guild leader is going to hand of the reins unless THEY ARE NOT PLANNING TO COME BACK.

If you had a high ranking guild and you were leaving, with no intention of coming back, do you just let it die?

That does not appear to be what you are offering in your original post. You said:
    okeephe said:

If so contact me and I will guild sit for you in case you ever decide to come back.

Personally - if my guild were dying and I decided to quit playing as well - I would still not invite some random person from outside the guild. I would hope that someone who is already in the guild would take over. I don't think I'd ever get to a point where absolutely nobody in my guild would play anymore though.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    Good for you. I guess I wasn't talking to you.

Just because I said I would hold it until they come back has nothing to do with their intentions. They may plan to come back, they may not. They may come back, even though they did not intend to.

Who knows what the future holds.

You can think up a thousand scenarios to support whatever position you want. I am not interested in them. The people I am talking to will know it when they read it.

'If you are the LAST person, in your guild, do you want to shut out the lights, lock the door and never come back? Or do you want to leave the door open, with the deed on the wall, just in case?

• Options
    asterotg said:

armadeonx said:

sameriker said:

Where are the contributions to a rank 1 guild? Guild bank slots. Who contributed? In most cases the founders?

When my guild became inactive, before stronghold, I kicked all inactive members except my cofounders, who contributed, as I did. Why? If I ever take a haitus, I dont want to come back and see, that someone who was in our guild for a few month and logged in after two years went 'ok, nice. Lets take over the guild and sell the HAMSTER'.

Furthermore there is an inactive R 6 guild, we leveled for stronghold. After most of the players left we changed guilds and some of us use it as storage.

I dont see someone with an inactive guild, R 1 or R 7+, hand it over, bc someone asked nicely. Transfer leadership to more active players, yes. That is what happened a few weeks ago in the R 20 guild I am a part of. A gift or a loan, no.

I'm not talking about giving it to someone who asked for it, I'm talking about people who hang on to the reins of something they've obviously not put any effort into. Sure, his rank 6's could just go and make a new guild and take the entire membership with them. Maybe the reason it's still at rank 1 is because his 6's don't want to invest into something that has a leader who cares so little about the guild members that they don't even bother logging in to check.

I find it very amusing that people get all super-protective about these things like it's real money or whatever. Guilds are about communities and if you care so little about your community that you're prepared to kick all of them just because you're no longer playing says to me that person is a very poor community leader.

• Options
    dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    OP, seems like you mean well.

But, as others have said, your offer does not make sense on any level.

A founder leaving the game would never, never hand their top guild (earned through years of blood sweat and tears) to a total stranger under any circumstances.

If I was sick of the game, I would pass it to a trusted elder or junior member.

If I was alone, abandoned, in my max rank guildhall, I would kick all idle members and leave it with all my alts in the rare possibility that I might revisit.

I would donate every single resource to outside friends and burn the SH to the ground before I would hand my baby over to some random person who asked for it.

No offense, OP. Just join a more stable guild.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
  • Options
    ichimaruginxichimaruginx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    armadeonx said:

Yeah it happens. Getting a guild to GH20 requires a lot of commitment and can quite easily lead to burnout for those at the top. Having a long term goal is great but to do it in a reasonable time frame means those players have spent a lot of energy on it and it's not uncommon for them to want time off or move on.

This. This is entirely true. I lost 2 r6s right after we had achieved GH 20, they actually postponed their vacation from Neverwinter until we achieved GH 20 because they wanted what's best for the guild. I'm eternally grateful for their work which without them being there we wouldn't have achieved GH 20 as fast or as easily. Positions are still offered to them should they desired to return but they want a break so they can truly enjoy the game again for now. I would hate to pile any more duties on them after all the work they had done, they deserve a good 'le holiday. Personally, I also had a bout of burnt out after strongholds is done, I think many bigger guild leaders might be in the same shoes. Taking some time off guild duties is more often than not the solution to that - we are all human here and it's all voluntary work.
    kreatyve said:

I would rephrase your last sentance:
    "I would not feel comfortable handing the lead to anyone who is asking for it."

In the Cloaks - the ONLY TIME in the entire history of the guild I ever ran into a problem with a Rank 7 leader was when I gave it to someone who asked for it. Eventually, that person turned out to be a massive disaster that almost completely destroyed the Blackcloaks guild - it's probably the only major example of drama in the whole lifetime of the Cloaks. No other leader - and there have been a many over the years - was grant Rank 7 after asking for it. To me, it's a position granted by invitation not by application.

I highly agree with that sentence. Personally all of my officers (r6s+), my co-leader and myself were given position in the guild and NOT because we had requested it. I think, but this is a highly personal opinion, most of the time those who ask for it seems to do so because they desire the position more than they want to help out the guild.

That being said, I am sure the op doesn't harbor any ill intention and just simply wanted to help out. Sorry to burst the bubble, but speaking as a fellow guild leader, it is unlikely that anyone would pass the keys over to someone out of their guild outright. For one, my guildies would NEVER allowed that to happen, neither will I. I think, guild leaders are more likely to appoint their officers or guildies which they had been playing with for sometime as the next rank 7 than someone they are unfamiliar with. And guildies would much readily accept someone they know to inherit the guild compared to someone out of the blue.

I hope you do not take this in the wrong way, and I wish you good luck in your endeavor!
    Post edited by ichimaruginx on
  • Options
    Again, you missed the part about 'there are no guildies left'. Of course this would be a last resort. If you have ANY other option you would most likely take that option.

I think the majority die because the rank 7s leave and don't appoint any other members.

I only started this thread because I was ASKED if I wanted to take over a rank 9 guild (mine is currently 4 solo). I talked them into looking within their own ranks, first, and it seemed to work, but now I get no response from any of their leadership at all.

I don't understand why anyone, in a leadership role, would just walk away, either, but apparently some do.