test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Best Solo Class for a Newbie?

gorrahgorrah Member Posts: 2 Arc User
Hi there ^^
I know this question has been asked millions of times but please bear with me.
Could someone tell me what is the best soloing class + the build/guide for that class? I heard something about GWF & GF but honestly no idea. I'm hoping for a class you can play basically braindead, like TERA's Brawler or Vindictus's Karok, and still achieve good results. I am not a smart man :P I just want one good class so I won't make alts and eventually get bored. Quality over quantity.

PS: How is the game doing? Community dying out or still standing strong?

Best Answers

• silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    Answer ✓
    as a new player, you will barely know the issues in game.. you are 6 months to a year away or more away from ever actually seeing those issues. New players really dont need to be concerned, unless you are here for the long haul.

However they are there.. if you are here for like 3-4 years , you might want to research the latest grindfest they dropped on players..

If you are just wanting to tool around on one toon for a few hours a week.. totally different issue.

There are less players now then , well say 2 years ago, but there is enough to get content done. A few thousand total actives at lvl 70, with 2k or so online at any one point. There is actually alot more then that online.. but I dont count players sitting around in PE discussing fire brand topics for 6 hours a day..

I would suggest a GWF for solo play and/or a GF. Both can barely die, do loads of dps and can womp through all solo content with basically right or left clicking your mouse a bunch of times.

Of course to actually GET , you know loads of dps and such in group content, it would require some rotational and build knowledge, but if your just tooling around for fun.. they wont require much more then that.

You can actually do something similar on the paladin class.. you can just right click a button do one AOE over and over till things die. But they are not nearly as powerful dps wise as those two.

GWF more or less has been a good dps option for about 6 or 7 out of the 10 mods.
    GF has been a more recent DPS option.. so like 4 out of 10 mods.

Answers

• rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    I would say Destroyer GWF.
    It is very simple to play: you are a dude/gal with a BFS, go hit things. Your class mechanic is a super mode which makes you attack faster and are immune to CC.
    You build up a lot of self damage bonuses which rip through soloing, your class mechanic partially heals you, and the GWF is faster than they look.

The Militia Barracks has the Lia/Lazalia builds, both of which are useable and can hold up to endgame, assuming you know what you're doing.

DPS GF (Conqueror GF) is somewhat similar, but requires a little more thought/investment if you want soloing to be a breeze. However, the DPS GF is much tankier than the GWF, but is much slower to compensate.

Trapper HR, from what I hear, is "QER Tab QER Tab" rinse and repeat, but they require some more finesse.

• cscriv79cscriv79 Member Posts: 398 Arc User
    GWF following the Lia Knowles build should serve you well, easy to play, good damage and fun for a first character.

Build is pretty end game but you can adjust it to meet your limits in terms of AD/availability etc.

I am neither here nor there, for I am NevrCene

NevrCene: TR
    Melisandre: SW
    Brienne: GWF

Guild : Mystic Dawn (GH20)
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    Any class can solo effectively. Just play what you want.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    A word of caution about the GWF. don't judge the class until you have unlocked Unstoppable and Wicked/Weaponmaster Strike. Without those things, you are going to struggle some most likely. Put as little points into Reaping Strike as you can, preferably just the one that it starts with.

Once you've gotten them and gotten used to them, the class has always been pretty good for solo content, even in the Beta->Mod1 days when they weren't desired in groups at all.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    GWF is probably easiest if you are talking about balancing defence with DPS, great DPS and OK survivability. But like Dupeks said, at end game if you are soloing queuing with pugs it takes a lot longer to get in a queue with a DPS than it does with a tank or a DC. For that reason I have ditched my CW and GWF for an old DC that I was using for a leadership alt. I'm hoping that one day DC's will be needed for healing again
    Post edited by lantern22 on
  • martolly#9640 martolly Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    I think actually the easiest is tank paladin, and most cost effective.
    Once you do level, if you have zero assistance there are simply some of the quest bosses you can't solo on gwf.
    after being geared up sure, they will smash the house apart.
    Additionally...... if you play a tank paladin you pretty much cant die pre level 70, and you do not need health pots, and since you dont die you really dont need injury kits. ( on the paladin all the way to 70, and at 70, you can 1 pull entire dungeons, yes you literally walk from the beginning to the end dragging everything along the way and kill them and the boss no problem)

Also once you are 70, and you start gearing up, you will have to do a massive amount of dailies to progress, so you are rate limited to the point of being super obnoxiously annoying. That being said, when you try to do dungeons at the 1600 bracket for your seal of elements you will pretty much be a paper bag that gets one shot randomly all the time non stop. Which means you have to spam not only potions the entire time but also injury kits..once you get at the 2k dungeon ratings its even worse.
    The only time you will "survive" as these people have tried to put it, is when you massively over-gear the dungeon you are attempting to do. Such as being 2.5-3k+ gear score, instead of the 2k the is required to do such dungeons.

Tanks get faster que times, and are more often looked for -starting out-, if you are a dps looking for a group you will often get passed over for some one in the 3k+ range, because just being honest they will do 400% more damage than you.

Anyways good luck on your adventure.
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    Yeah for soloing I'd go with protection paladin - or as someone recently referred to them: the solo-din, due to the fact they can walk through all solo content with no worries but nobody wants them in groups :D

You just need to get the right amount of RI & don't ignore crit. My pally can be played blindfolded.

I do understand what the other guys mean by GWF but you will need to stack some lifesteal as well as defence. They are good if you follow the build and learn the rotation and they are hard to kill.

Personally, the easiest time I've had when levelling a character was the OP - The first time I died (since character creation) was when I wandered into one of the larger HE's in IWD by myself...
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox