test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rotation for pve SW trapper crit build.

jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
edited November 2016 in The Wilds
Well now that the pvp combat days are over, I'm gonna spend mod 10.5 as a sw trapper.

I suck tbh. at pve. What is the current class feature/encounter/at will set up, and what do I feat on my off hand/main hand as stormwarden..? Straight glass cannon, don't worry about defence etc. that's already covered

I seriously just want a rotation that is one size fits all, and I basically won't have to change it... ever.
No idea what my toon is now.

Comments

• oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    Rapid Shot/Clear The Ground

Constricting/Cordon/Hindering

Aspect of the Serpent, other to flavor (Aspect of the Pack is pretty good, Blade Storm if you melee alot)

Offhand/MainHand: Electric Shot/CTG or Rapid Shot/Rapid Strike. 10% damage bonus. For the other, I use the Aspect of the Serpent Buff, but there are a few other good ones too.

For the most setup, this is the setup I use in non-raid situations. Tiamat I put in Longstriders and Split the Sky, eDemo I use a variation depending on the group.

This is the perspective of a practically BIS crit based SW trapper. Your mileage may vary.
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    Thnx, I'll give it a try. I'll probably feat pack on offhand, I have a lot of ca pets.
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    I agree with oldbaldyone. That is basically the bread and butter personal dps rotation and you can use it always in melee range to get all the party buffs.
    The other option you have is Constrictive, Longstrider and Cordon which is more party dps oriented and takes more effort.
    As you can see in most cases in PVE there is no difference between Stormwarden and Pathfinder if you slot Serpent and Pack (I'm Pathfinder and use the same setup mentioned above)

By the way the off-hand Pack bonus is broken on live but yesterday I've seen people testing it on preview and confirming it works again, so it should be fixed today with the Sea of Moving Ice patch (I'll double check it anyway).

On the other end it seems that Plant Growth is currently bugged on preview doing only two ticks instead of four and not proccing Bladestorm while it works ok on live... looks like there is a bug exchange vendor at the Enclave, return us a bug and we'll give you a new shiny one...

Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
    Yea let's hope it's a bug.

Let me know if pack offhand is wai, I'm in the process of respeccing, will finish after the patch.
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    have people done much testing with it to see if better dps can be ecked out of other rotations since ten dropped? my dps took a nose dive using this rotation once ten hit. I know for a lot of us we had semi hybrid builds that required constricting to proc mt but with a pure trapper build you don't need to have any particular thing to trigger it. I've been playing around with some other builds a lot of them sans cordon.. and they seem to be pretty good (although I haven't taken anything into cn or edemo which is where i generally get an idea of how well I'm competing. i'd kill to have the test logs you pc people have. lol
  • wdj40wdj40 Member Posts: 1,958 Arc User
    edited November 2016

have people done much testing with it to see if better dps can be ecked out of other rotations since ten dropped? my dps took a nose dive using this rotation once ten hit. I know for a lot of us we had semi hybrid builds that required constricting to proc mt but with a pure trapper build you don't need to have any particular thing to trigger it. I've been playing around with some other builds a lot of them sans cordon.. and they seem to be pretty good (although I haven't taken anything into cn or edemo which is where i generally get an idea of how well I'm competing. i'd kill to have the test logs you pc people have. lol

Yeah me too, I wish they would bring ACT to the X1 :( My DPS has gone up since Mod 10 dropped though, I don't use CoA/PG anyhoo.

It would keep me playing for months probably lol.
    Post edited by wdj40 on
    Main - Rydia (HR70) - Xbox One Player only
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    we know they can pull things from the game to the web. it's too bad they can't have a gateway for act logs where you could download a game you just played or one of the last 10 games you played and get an xl file to dl to look at on your home computer.
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    On a single dummy maybe. In a dungeon no, at least for personal DPS, in my experience (as I said above group DPS is a different story and Longstrider wins, especially because CWs and GWF deal far more damage than we do) . Gushing wound deals high damage on one target, but throwing roots all around on multi targets definitely wins the fight in a dungeon, even FBI. And it's much easier to keep 100% uptime of Master Trapper with two roots.

The drop in 10 is due to Plant Growth I guess. It used to be around 30-35% of my damage. If it deals half of it it's a 15-17% drop at current stage (hadn't time to check it after last patch, too busy fishing).
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
    Lol me too, haven't done a dungeon in days. Fish, map, treasure hunt, new dailies, fish.

The hero's life.
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    To get the most from Longstriders, you are moving in and out of combat range. If you get really good with this, you could use all your ranged moves as you are backing up and then moving forward (so like, back up, use a ranged shot, use longstriders at the peak of your backup, then use another ranged shot moving forward).

That said, its a lot of effort for a minor DPS increase. I'll be honest, at 4200+ IL and a crit based build with 3X12 Bondings and a good pet, I can usually just sit and hit the melee skills in a pack, along with a few clear the grounds, and things melt. In SKT I'll admit it usually takes a little more effort, especially if I go down to my XP gear (must...max...power....points). Tiamat, FBI, eDemo, the rotation I listed can do fine but there are improvements to dps that can be made pretty easily.

The effort versus reward in this matter is basically a comparison of the amount of effort you want to put towards doing the most DPS versus the actual DPS increase of just spamming a few abilities. Trappers are already getting cramps in a FBI run due to spamming 6 encounters, 1 daily and a couple at will s nearly non stop. When I'm not in a time crunch and can just sit and relax, I don't really try and push for the max.

Anywho :)
    edited November 2016
    I never really have problems finishing stuff, or staying alive, or even carrying teams dps-wise if necessary, but if there's a good gwf, I just can't out-burst them.

My pve set is 3.8k, but the low il is due to rank 7s in utilities, and a lesser soulforge. Offence slots are all rnk12, brutals and Azures. Pet has 2xrnk12bonding and one normal, rnk12s again on their avenger gear. Critchance buffed is 98% RI 60+ power roughly 50k buffed. Guild is lvl20, power lifesteal boons. Pets, 2x ca, 10% critsev, the "less than full enemy hp" archon and leg. Shadow demon/Fire archon choice as summoned, I suppose I should switch back to the fire archon, but I like the look of the demon better, not to mention the 100k hits.

I could buy another rnk12 bonding, but I'd have to sell my trans elven to do so, and I'm not sure I want to irreversibly gimp my pvp gear anyway.

Last mod I had triple rnk12 bondings, same problem though. Putting brutality +4 on my pet gives me better burst, but the I lose out on longer boss fights.

Just argh, generally. I always feel HR damage is too slow and steady.
    Post edited by jonkoca on