test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Mod 16 PvE Washed Up Fighter Tank Guide

rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
edited July 2019 in The Guard Barracks
Main Links

Washed Up Tanking Guide (Tank)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vQerljT25qzzA1U-RNRG1zF46pJogJN2tArmCJqMDx8Hjm4a0JRE7CS6-4YwkNd_niDFMigp79vl4FP/pub

Pretend to Deal Damage Guide (DPS)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vTgeod1nAm-oRvhgu4yThBVc3rf4UBr-DF9hZQB7s4wcAidtTZRAEtWft8mUG7ye574V9JIXmUgTILA/pub

Legacy Link:

For people who wish to stay in/remember better times.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vQ8lv6d8IVtsl_sihrWhqCkPiUDyPS6_h3O1BkUvEBqrRmoee99xcjmEAFnhYdMLq97xG2jWRFr4n3z/pub

Big shoutouts to @thefabricant for his maths skills and fact checking as well as @michela123 for her grammar OCD as well as her debuff spreadsheets!

Latest Update(s):

• Got bored enough to update for Mod 16.
    If you want to see the legacy version, see the legacy link.

Post edited by rjc9000 on

Comments

• rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    edited March 2017

Who lets themselves be held back by common sense?

• indylolindylol Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    Nice guide. I'll be reading more of it today, one thing though. What method of testing did you use to come to the conclusion that the Dwarf knock back resistance racial doesn't work in PvP?
    B) LGPG Leader B)
    Indy - XB1 & PS4 - GF
    xeV Indy - PS4 - TR
    Nde - XB1 - HR
    GT: its indy time
    PSN: itsindytime
    Twitch: indygoinlive
    The Kanye West of Neverwinter
    edited November 2016
    No experience in PvP (save for the few pictures which were used to make a point), only am working off PvE experience.

I used to roll with a guildie who had a Dwarf GF. You know the Dragonflight dragons (or dragons period?) and how they have that gust attack which blows you away?

When both me (human GF) and my old guildie (dwarf) were trying to back away with no shield, we both were sent flying by the wing buffet.

When we actually decided to hold our shields, we both got knocked back a couple of feet away from the dragon.

I quicklly rolled onto preview just to test this. Rolled my testing GF as a Dwarf and went to the Tedium of the Dragons heralds.

I kept getting pushed back by all of their attacks. Granted, it might actually "work", but the benefit, if it actually works, is so tiny that I can't seem to notice it.

(it says 20% Knockback resistance, but lolcryptictooltips and I seem to get knocked back quite a bit whenever I'm hit with an attack that pushes me, even behind my shield).

• theopvtheopv Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    nice guide rjc9000. Humour, good reasoning and a little rocket science! I'm playing on the xbone and will try to translate it across to see if anyone notices a difference. Have been looking at different weapon and armour enchants cos negation is not required now and shadowclad only gets to 2-3 hits before deflecting, briartwine is hilarious (Orcus hits for 720000 you reflect 3240!!!!!) cos it obviously works on what you are ACTUALLY hit with, soulforged is a possibility, frost seems a good one too.... be interested in others opinions. Have hit the 95% damage resistance(to take into account the enemy 15 odd % or Armour Pen, I hadn't thought of that so thanks) have around 18k deflect and 10k lifesteal through companions. Love the tact build cos its nice to hear others in the party shout out things like "WOW I just hit for ....." and you can sit back smugly with the DC and think yup, that was us... :)
    Of all in your guide my favourite was the cartoon of the CW jumping in to save the GF..... Went straight on our guild FB page.....you know who you are guildies....... yes I'm looking at YOU.!!!

Keep it up mate
  • romotheoneromotheone Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 729 Arc User
    I am still not convinced about the origin of your name!
  • michela123michela123 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    I like the punctuation in your guide B) (jokes aside, very good work).
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    theopv said:

nice guide rjc9000. Humour, good reasoning and a little rocket science! I'm playing on the xbone and will try to translate it across to see if anyone notices a difference. Have been looking at different weapon and armour enchants cos negation is not required now and shadowclad only gets to 2-3 hits before deflecting, briartwine is hilarious (Orcus hits for 720000 you reflect 3240!!!!!) cos it obviously works on what you are ACTUALLY hit with, soulforged is a possibility, frost seems a good one too.... be interested in others opinions. Have hit the 95% damage resistance(to take into account the enemy 15 odd % or Armour Pen, I hadn't thought of that so thanks) have around 18k deflect and 10k lifesteal through companions. Love the tact build cos its nice to hear others in the party shout out things like "WOW I just hit for ....." and you can sit back smugly with the DC and think yup, that was us... :)
    Of all in your guide my favourite was the cartoon of the CW jumping in to save the GF..... Went straight on our guild FB page.....you know who you are guildies....... yes I'm looking at YOU.!!!

Keep it up mate

Well, that wasn't my comic, it actually came from Awkward Zombie and the comic in question was lampooning the whole Dual Guard mechanic from Fire Emblem Awakening. And the character who is an idiot is actually an archer in game.

Technicalities aside, I put it there because I knew someone would understand that I meant "DPSers stop standing in the red zones".
    XD

Also, @romotheone, it's DEFINETLY not what you're thinking.

<_<

• lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Very nice guide. More effort than most. Glad to see someone taking over the torch from Fatmushroom :)
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • tutelo#5367 tutelo Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    Nice! Definitely appealing for those looking to jump ship out of the Paladin ongoing trainwreck disaster. Im not gonna jump ship yet until i make sure there's no hope for my paladin after testing live.

Nice! Definitely appealing for those looking to jump ship out of the Paladin ongoing trainwreck disaster. Im not gonna jump ship yet until i make sure there's no hope for my paladin after testing live.

I'm glad people are making good use of my guide!

There might be hope for the Tankadins.

I haven't seen to what extent Binding Oath/Bubble/Vow did to the Tankadin's viability, but unless they're literally bugged so they don't work, I feel that people are over-reacting to these nerfs.

However, I could be wrong. Perhaps I walk into CN on my tankadin and get oneshotted by the first boss with shield up and a full bar of TempHP.

-_-

rjc9000 said:

I haven't seen to what extent Binding Oath/Bubble/Vow did to the Tankadin's viability, but unless they're literally bugged so they don't work, I feel that people are over-reacting to these nerfs.

However, I could be wrong. Perhaps I walk into CN on my tankadin and get oneshotted by the first boss with shield up and a full bar of TempHP.

-_-

They are over reacting.

rjc9000 said:

-_-

They are over reacting.

Bubble-spam is dead, but on the plus side... Paladins actually have things that generate aggro now! (Binding Oath)

\o/

• tutelo#5367 tutelo Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    @thefabricant

We probably are, but we as a class dont have anyone that can take it apart and figure out how it works. You were the last person to put a good quality comprehensive guide for paladins and then you moved to a cw. Since then no one else has picked up the slack and the rest are so disgruntled by the recent nerfs that I think a lot will abandon ship. I myself am pretty pissed off, but I dont want to jump ship until there is no hope. Unfortunately im not as well versed in nwo mechanics or math to figure out how the newest changes to the tankadin really affect it, and I'm still at mid-end ilvl 2,754.
    To be fair Sharpedge is @thefabricant's main.

@rjc9000: You suggest using Azures in defensive slots so how do you get to 140k HP without using Radiants? I have all the HP boons and slot Radiants in defensive slots while putting all my available points into CON but still my HP is only 128k.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • shazza53shazza53 Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    Very nice guide - thank you for your efforts. A friend is having problems loading the document - getting the message "web page not found." He's using a phone so wonder if this is an issue on some mobile devices, and if there is a work around.
    edited November 2016
    lirithiel said:

@rjc9000: You suggest using Azures in defensive slots so how do you get to 140k HP without using Radiants? I have all the HP boons and slot Radiants in defensive slots while putting all my available points into CON but still my HP is only 128k.

(Did I make a mistake? Perhaps I should have put a note saying to "calculate" your DR while accounting for Bondings?)

I think I said to use Azures in your companion's defensive slots.

I might have suggested to run Azures in your character's slots mostly so you can get up to the 95% DR needed. Once you're done with the 95% DR, you can start putting in the Darks/Radiants/Savages to buff up your HP/lifesteal.

Keep in mind that I was running with a legendary Dancing Shield with Rank12 Bondingss and 1 piece of Loyal Defender, so that took care of my DR issues. As I had the 95% DR necessary from my pet alone, I was able to run Savages in all of my character's defensive slots. Since you might be running a pet with lower ranked Bondings and/or less Defense Slots than I am (ex: Rust Monster or Harper Bard), you might have to readjust your build to get to 95% DR (which is, in my opinion, more important than trying to get to 140,000 or more HP unless you're sitting at 93-94.5% DR, which is nearly the same thing in my eyes).

In addition, I was running VIP (pretty sure you have that), two artifacts with HP bonuses, a CON belt (adds some extra HP, both from the CON Bonus as well as HP from the belt), as well as the +8000 HP Mount bonus. Combine these with Toughness (gives extra HP in accordance with your gear) and I think that's why I was able to get to get a large amount of HP without sacrificing my DR.
    shazza53 said:

Very nice guide - thank you for your efforts. A friend is having problems loading the document - getting the message "web page not found." He's using a phone so wonder if this is an issue on some mobile devices, and if there is a work around.

I think it's a problem to my end: I was making some small changes, but I didn't put the "publish as I update" option due to not wanting someone to see my guide while it was being worked on (I was fixing something with the table of contents). I'll republish it this morning and it should hopefully work.

EDIT: After a republish, the link seemed to work fine, although I mostly test these things via Laptop/PC. I don't own a smartphone, so I am not sure if it's a smartphone thing or if it was because my guide was under maintenance.

rjc9000 said:

lirithiel said:

(Did I make a mistake? Perhaps I should have put a note saying to "calculate" your DR while accounting for Bondings?)

I might have suggested to run Azures in your character's slots mostly so you can get up to the 95% DR needed. Once you're done with the 95% DR, you can start putting in the Darks/Radiants/Savages to buff up your HP/lifesteal.

Keep in mind that I was running with a legendary Dancing Shield with Rank12 Bondingss and 1 piece of Loyal Defender, so that took care of my DR issues. As I had the 95% DR necessary from my pet alone, I was able to run Savages in all of my character's defensive slots. Since you might be running a pet with lower ranked Bondings and/or less Defense Slots than I am (ex: Rust Monster or Harper Bard), you might have to readjust your build to get to 95% DR (which is, in my opinion, more important than trying to get to 140,000 or more HP unless you're sitting at 93-94.5% DR, which is nearly the same thing in my eyes).

In addition, I was running VIP (pretty sure you have that), a CON belt (adds some extra HP, both from the CON Bonus as well as HP from the belt), as well as the +8000 HP Mount bonus. Combine these with Toughness (gives extra HP in accordance with your gear) and I think that's why I was able to get to get a large amount of HP without sacrificing my DR.
    shazza53 said:

I think it's a problem to my end: I was making some small changes, but I didn't put the "publish as I update" option due to not wanting someone to see my guide while it was being worked on (I was fixing something with the table of contents). I'll republish it this morning and it should hopefully work.

EDIT: After a republish, the link seemed to work fine, although I mostly test these things via Laptop/PC. I don't own a smartphone, so I am not sure if it's a smartphone thing or if it was because my guide was under maintenance.
    There is an issue with some mobile devices whereby they automatically change google docs links from ending in /pub to /edit. If they don't have edit permissions, then this prevents them from being able to access the document. Some people had issues with my guide when it was still published because of it.

rjc9000 said:

lirithiel said:

In addition, I was running VIP (pretty sure you have that), a CON belt (adds some extra HP, both from the CON Bonus as well as HP from the belt), as well as the +8000 HP Mount bonus. Combine these with Toughness (gives extra HP in accordance with your gear) and I think that's why I was able to get to get a large amount of HP without sacrificing my DR.
    shazza53 said:

There is an issue with some mobile devices whereby they automatically change google docs links from ending in /pub to /edit. If they don't have edit permissions, then this prevents them from being able to access the document. Some people had issues with my guide when it was still published because of it.
    That's... a weird bug. Thanks for the information, Sharp.

Thanks for the reply @rjc9000. I overlooked the 8k HP mount bonus. That makes up a large chunk. I don't have the Greater Plated Belt of Constitution but will be refining one during the next 2x RP event.

So seeing as 95% DR is the new benchmark I might as well get the Dancing Shield. There was some debate about companions with 3 defensive slots no longer being useful in Mod 10 but that is moot now. I don't have 3 R12 Bondings on my GF (well I do have but I don't send them over to him), he only uses regular Bondings.
    Our pain is self chosen.

Another thing: should the Dancing Shield be stealing aggro from you? None of its attacks generate threat although I see you have one piece of Loyal Defender gear slotted, but even then 10% extra threat shouldn't be having that much effect?
    Our pain is self chosen.

• jackharper#1224 jackharper Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Hello great job with guide.
    I use a similar build with a few differences but i have few questions.
    1. Why you dont invest "United" feat? It's buged? I dont see icon this feat and i realy dont know it's work or not.
    2. "Crushing Pin" work only on you or for all patry?
    3. Commander’s Strike maybe this buff work but in orcus sometimes there are problems. I remember when i try use this skill on this boss and every few seconds I losing agro. Maybe it's a good skill but i think not on this one boss.
    4. Are you sure the stronghold weap is the best (i ask because i dont know), twisted is weak but this new eq is very good. (You know maybe where i can find information how get this weapon, what i need etc.?)
    5. Which enhancement is the best for weap for you?
    6. About ending stat like 95% DR, 140HP, 10k rec it's stat with bonding? 95% is somethink like 30k def so if you have 30k def you can still get 140k HP, but LS/recovery/deflect was very low.

I think it's all my questions.
    Post edited by jackharper#1224 on
  • schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Nice guide, hard work to carry that stuff together.
    Best I read since long.
    I thought that new weaponset is BIS, a lot of folk tested it and the base damage beats your twisted powerbonus in terms of damage..that´s what I heared.
    edited November 2016
    Well, I finally learned how to cheese my school's blocking of websites, so I can finally answer things.
    lirithiel said:

Thanks for the reply @rjc9000. I overlooked the 8k HP mount bonus. That makes up a large chunk. I don't have the Greater Plated Belt of Constitution but will be refining one during the next 2x RP event.

So seeing as 95% DR is the new benchmark I might as well get the Dancing Shield. There was some debate about companions with 3 defensive slots no longer being useful in Mod 10 but that is moot now. I don't have 3 R12 Bondings on my GF (well I do have but I don't send them over to him), he only uses regular Bondings.

You don't "need" 140,000 HP to be effective, I just suggested it as a benchmark where I feel that it is effective for most tanks. Back before the KC set got nerfed, I finally was able to tank FBI with a mere 120K HP count.

For companions: it's not that the 3x Defense slots are superior, I am happening to look at the Dancing Shield from an overall perspective.

I chose the Dancing Shield, as 3x Defense slots makes it easier for me to not have to commit Azures to Defense, it has the best damage increasing debuff of any companion in the game right now (but it doesn't stack), it once had cheap slots (Loyal Commander belts used to be like less than 10K before Gateway died), and the fact that I was able to thematically name the companion after my favorite series.

You can always pick the Harper Bard or any of the other companions which have different slots, but you need to evaluate on what each companion can bring to the table versus another companion, as well as how you would have to adjust your build around the slots or lack of slots. This is why my guide isn't always "specific" on what to get, as GFs can be fairly flexible on how they tank.
    lirithiel said:

Another thing: should the Dancing Shield be stealing aggro from you? None of its attacks generate threat although I see you have one piece of Loyal Defender gear slotted, but even then 10% extra threat shouldn't be having that much effect?

Ideally, it shouldn't, but I swear the stupid thing has a huge hidden aggro modifier to its attacks.

Back when the KC set still was a set, I used 3x Loyal Commander since the KC set would proc on the shield and fill out the last remaining DR I needed to be at 95%. It still stole my aggro back in the day and I'm not sure why.

Also, one time, I ran with Sharp's DC, which used a Dancing Shield (he named his "Tanks Love Me". That should speak volumes of its aggro). Orcus literally never hit me, as he was ping-ponging between the two shields.

Hello great job with guide.
    I use a similar build with a few differences but i have few questions.
    1. Why you dont invest "United" feat? It's buged? I dont see icon this feat and i realy dont know it's work or not.
    2. "Crushing Pin" work only on you or for all patry?
    3. Commander’s Strike maybe this buff work but in orcus sometimes there are problems. I remember when i try use this skill on this boss and every few seconds I losing agro. Maybe it's a good skill but i think not on this one boss.
    4. Are you sure the stronghold weap is the best (i ask because i dont know), twisted is weak but this new eq is very good. (You know maybe where i can find information how get this weapon, what i need etc.?)
    5. Which enhancement is the best for weap for you?

I think it's all my questions.

1. United doesn't show up on your buff-bars, that is true. I didn't pick United up because United is just bad: it just gives 5% DR to teammates, not a 5% mitigation source (credits to @michela123 for this test). 5% DR is worthless on the glass cannon classes (SW/TR/CW/most HRs/most DCs); they are better off stacking HP and/or Lifesteal to not die (unless they oddly have a large amount of DR). I also hear that DR a hopeless case if your name happens to be @thefabricant...
    2. -10% damage resistance debuff on enemies for its duration, which applies to the entire team's attacks.
    3. CS indeed gives a damage bonus to the team's Encounter Powers. It is good for buffing your team's damage and occasionally sneaking in some decent hits. As for your issues on aggro, I'm not sure why you're having issues on Orcus, perhaps it's a teammate's companion? Perhaps you're not pressing Enforced Threat and/or Aggravating Strike enough?
    4. Well, the Stronghold set happens to be best for my particular build, as we're focused on buffing our allies and, in short, making our team more effective. The only set which does that is the Stronghold set. And good luck getting that Relic weapon, it costs a lot of Voninblod and other junk to make.
    5. Well, there is no "best" weapon enchantment, as each has their pros and cons. I personally liked the T. Frost enchant, as it was easy to use, has a decent debuff, and I had one leftover from when T. Frost was broken.

Nice guide, hard work to carry that stuff together.
    Best I read since long.
    I thought that new weaponset is BIS, a lot of folk tested it and the base damage beats your twisted powerbonus in terms of damage..that´s what I heared.

Glad to hear you liked it!

You're correct on the Relic versus Twisted argument. Relic provides higher DPS than Twisted. However, I included Twisted because it's not too hard to get, whereas getting Relic weapons is a huge pain.

But for our build, we're not too focused on dishing the pain, we're more focused on helping the team, and Stronghold does exactly that.

• jackharper#1224 jackharper Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    OK thx for your answer.
  • kallephi#0836 kallephi Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    One of the best class guides from all games I've ever seen. Congratz on the hard work. I'm gonna save this topic to my favorites to get some advices for my GF. Thanks for this!
    Ly'saaera, Hellbringer Fury Scourge Warlock of Thieves World
    Hælja, Swordmaster Conqueror Guardian Fighter of Thieves World
  • hasantareq88#2333 hasantareq88 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    One of the best GF build after a long time...nice job!
    Btw have you considered using Vampire's Craving Insignia Bonus?

One of the best class guides from all games I've ever seen. Congratz on the hard work. I'm gonna save this topic to my favorites to get some advices for my GF. Thanks for this!

One of the best GF build after a long time...nice job!
    Btw have you considered using Vampire's Craving Insignia Bonus?

Great! People liking this build means slacking off during class was worth it!

As for the question about Vampire's Craving...

I found that Vampire's Craving is not that useful in the long run.

The way I see the Vampire bonuses, is that if you're lifestealing often, you're often going to patch yourself up to full HP and adding an extra bit of HP to the lifesteal won't really make that much of a difference between life or death (I am often Lifestealing for 25,000 or more HP per hit).

If your lifesteal is a tad low, you may not even make much use of the bonus to begin with. Plus, last I checked, the Vampire insignia bonus had an Internal cooldown, which further lessens the usefulness of this insignia bonus.

I chose Victim's and Champion's, primarily because they activate regardless of your lifesteal chance, as well as giving me some sustainability in the event that my Lifesteal hasn't kicked in and in the event I have no Fighter's Recovery.

• boothy#7543 boothy Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    I noticed you didnt touch on the Transcendant Feytouched enchantment any thoughts on using this?

Im starting to gear up my tank and he is currently using the Vorpal but my crit rate only sits around 30% so im thinking to switch.. I run 15 conq points for jagged blades, rest is all Tact tree, along with all hp/power/crit artifacts and some demo/lostm equipment.

My dps isnt too bad, certainly having fun with the super fast WMS so I think a dmg buffing enchantment like vorpal or feytouched might suit me better than a debuffer?