test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

wine (linux) problem

sekatooorsekatooor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7 Arc User
Hello. So far I played using wine and all works fine for me, but today after path game crash after start with no bug raport.
All i have found in logs is:
"err:d3dcompiler:compile_shader HLSL shader parsing failed."
: <

Comments

• sekatooorsekatooor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7 Arc User
    more errors for me : < - but thx
    "err:dbghelp_dwarf:eval_expression Couldn't read memory at fffffff0
    err:dbghelp_dwarf:eval_expression Couldn't read memory at fffffff0
    err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x110060 "../../../dlls/ntdll/heap.c: main process heap section" wait timed out in thread 010e, blocked by 010b, retrying (60 sec)
    err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x110060 "../../../dlls/ntdll/heap.c: main process heap section" wait timed out in thread 010e, blocked by 010b, retrying (60 sec)"

but now window dont crash, only stays on logo CRYPTIC forever
  • samerikersameriker Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    Interesting, I am still at work, but I will run patch on the micro PC I have Linux OS. I will also need to update the one on my desktop running under Windows XP SP3. When I have the time, I will get back with you. I recommend you send in a report to the appropriate WINE forum.

Regardless, I would like to know what you are running as to hardware, Linux distro, and your choice of WINE build and settings? I will call a mainstream Linux user I know, he no longer plays this but I will ask him to test it out and see what he is getting on his end.
    Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident; the only earthly certainty is oblivion. ~ Mark Twain
  • sekatooorsekatooor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7 Arc User
    i fully reinstaled the game and it work now.
    sekatooor said:

i fully reinstaled the game and it work now.

Somewhat of an "extreme solution" like hitting a fly with a hammer. I did manage to update both the small Linux box and my desktop. I then encountered the brief and sudden crash on the "CRYPTIC" splash loading screen about 3 to 5 percent into the load. I followed @two30 instructions on disabling the d3d compiler 47 library. This had the same effect as @sekatooor reported. I then switched the OS to Windows 7 on the Applications Tab and it still frozen up so I left it to get my coffee. When I returned about 15 minutes later it had passed the freeze/lockup without my help. I can run more testing on the weekend, but it appears the shader libraries are having issues with tessellation.

As of OpenGL 4.0 and Direct3D 11, this new shader called tessellation has been added. It adds two new shader stages to the traditional model. Tessellation is the process in the OpenGL rendering pipeline where patches of vertex data are subdivided into smaller triangles. This process is governed by two shader stages and a fixed-function stage. As some of you know, this crash is more the fault of DirectX and not the game itself. I recommend using Safe Mode from the launcher to run the game, if you have an older GPU.
    Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident; the only earthly certainty is oblivion. ~ Mark Twain
  • dark666wulfdark666wulf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    It's the same problem like with STO, some had luck and could start it with wine 1.6.2 to update the cache and after it they could play with a recent version of wine. But didn't worked for me :-(
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1223898/sto-no-longer-runs-under-wine/p1
    Where is crypticcliff, he was once testing it in his free time on linux ;-)
    edited November 2016
    I run Window XP SP3 on a dual boot PC with Windows 10 as my "alternate OS". I just can't deal with Windows 10, but I am a child of Windows sorry.

Linux Users
    I got some time off early today and wanted to hit up any Penguins in here with the 411. I tried a variation on my Zbox running Ubuntu with WINE 1.8.4 and the old skool launcher. Doc Simon was on the phone with me and says, "I never used 1.8.4, I was always running 1.7.44 and you can download a lot of compiled WIINE builds from Play on Linux without ever installing the POL.". He is busy chasing skirt, but says he will get online and see what is what at a later date.

Meanwhile I deleted my wine prefix for Neverwinter and reconfigurated back to default with no tweakage what-so-ever. No hanging and had no real issues but when I got stunned by the enemies my screen filled with red "X"'s which just lasts until I was not stunned. So there was that. I am going to see if there is a missing texture and whatnot. So I ran a file verify with the launcher, but the red "X"'s remain. I plan to download the WINE 1.7.44 Simon used and try it next.

The only other thing I notice about playing on Linux is a lag or delay when I press a key to cast or heal. It might not have anything to do with Linux or WINE, if any of you Penguins have a sloppy response let me know. It may be this old keyboard or Zbox PC or something else hardware related.

Link to POL WINE distros Note: All files with .pol extension are in fact .tar.bz2 files. Rename them to extract them.

Edit: I figured out the red "X"s, since I deleted the wine prefix, I had to run winecfg again and disable the d3dcompiler library as before. So that is working. The laggy keyboard is just that, a keyboard issue and not the game at all. Fun and games are over, off to bed and back to work in the morning.
    Post edited by sameriker on
  • korde#5886 korde Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    I hope this helps someone out there, but in the Libraries tab of wincfg, disabling d3d compiler 47 but adding/enabling d3d compiler 46 works just fine. I'm currently running the game under Windows 7 as opposed to the default XP version on Kubuntu 16.10 with the latest stable wine installed. (gtx 750 ti, i5 6500, 8gb ram, generally untweaked or overclocked).

Good hunting! :smile: