test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"Fire Pit Squatters" in CTA, how about a fix?!?

boldorianboldorian Member Posts: 30 Arc User
I have got to say, the “Fire Pit Squatters” in the CTA events are starting to become even more annoying. It has always been a pet peeve of mine, to be fighting in a CTA and having it take longer than expected, because one or more players feels they should be rewarded for roasting marshmallows. While they are telling ghost stories to themselves around the fire Pit, which tells you something about their mental stability to begin with, the rest of the team is fighting their hardest to complete the CTA and go on to the next one. With one or more players not being involved in the fight, it takes longer to complete, especially if we are using lower level characters.

In my most recent CTA I was running one of my toons, which happens to be a low item level rank 70 SW, and noticed it was not going well, since I was resurrecting other players. I noticed that a GWF had (0) damage, OK not so great a weapons fighter since they were not engaged in battle, and we were currently at the dragon. As soon as the dragon finally dies, the GWF runs through the initial portal and grabs the chest, to exit the event in the blink of an eye. So, they did not have to do any work, and gained the reward that the rest of us fought for. Sure, he could have offered one of his s’mores on the way out, but that would have been little consolation to the wounds the rest of us had to heal, and he had plenty of time to eat them all himself.

I have been playing the game since module one, and I understand how to ignore players, but at the rate I am ignoring players during CTA events, I will be playing all alone soon. I feel it is high time the Devs make a fix to the CTA where you have to at least kill one bad guy, take some damage, or inflict some damage in order to open the chest. We have had enough of being rewarded for knowing how to join a CTA group, without actually helping them in battle.

Comments

• kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    This CTA is particularly bad because 1 or 2 4K+ can finish it about 3 minutes and maybe not even notice the rest of the team didn't even show up.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    Not to add more depression on top of things, but you are wasting your time ignoring them. It has no effect on the queue, and you are just as likely to be grouped with ignored players as anyone else.
  • matthiasthehun76matthiasthehun76 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    boldorian said:

I have got to say, the “Fire Pit Squatters” in the CTA events are starting to become even more annoying. It has always been a pet peeve of mine, to be fighting in a CTA and having it take longer than expected, because one or more players feels they should be rewarded for roasting marshmallows. While they are telling ghost stories to themselves around the fire Pit, which tells you something about their mental stability to begin with, the rest of the team is fighting their hardest to complete the CTA and go on to the next one. With one or more players not being involved in the fight, it takes longer to complete, especially if we are using lower level characters.

In my most recent CTA I was running one of my toons, which happens to be a low item level rank 70 SW, and noticed it was not going well, since I was resurrecting other players. I noticed that a GWF had (0) damage, OK not so great a weapons fighter since they were not engaged in battle, and we were currently at the dragon. As soon as the dragon finally dies, the GWF runs through the initial portal and grabs the chest, to exit the event in the blink of an eye. So, they did not have to do any work, and gained the reward that the rest of us fought for. Sure, he could have offered one of his s’mores on the way out, but that would have been little consolation to the wounds the rest of us had to heal, and he had plenty of time to eat them all himself.

I have been playing the game since module one, and I understand how to ignore players, but at the rate I am ignoring players during CTA events, I will be playing all alone soon. I feel it is high time the Devs make a fix to the CTA where you have to at least kill one bad guy, take some damage, or inflict some damage in order to open the chest. We have had enough of being rewarded for knowing how to join a CTA group, without actually helping them in battle.

So good to see, i am not alone with leech problems, sorry btw mate.

Prepare to be roasted, like am these days, cause many in this community think, it's ok to leech on other's effort and those of us, who complain are some tyrants.

World has turned upside down, especially in this game's community and what makes me mad, most blame the game or anything else, just not the camp fire warmers.

None the less it's good to see people with common sense.

That sentence about ignore is the best, spot on mate, yes my ignore list is long as Tolkien's books by now too. A while ago i proposed to Devs and fellow players here on forums, that the Q shouldn't match us together with people we have on ignore, but guess what, i was silenced again, saying what a terrible person i am for not wanting to "play" with such individuals.

If i may add my advise, i am aggroing the mobs towards those camp fire warmers, so they get roasted too, but this time by the dragon's breath or if i am full with them, i just simply jump out, let them leech on each other.

BTW other games have some minimum effort barometer built in, would be nice to see such thing implemented here too, although these days i wouldn't hold my breath.

The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy.
    Robert E. Lee

I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself.
    Winston Churchill

The human race is a herd. Here we are, unique, eternal aspects of consciousness with an infinity of potential, and we have allowed ourselves to become an unthinking, unquestioning blob of conformity and uniformity. A herd. Once we concede to the herd mentality, we can be controlled and directed by a tiny few. And we are.
    David Icke

• diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User

Not to add more depression on top of things, but you are wasting your time ignoring them. It has no effect on the queue, and you are just as likely to be grouped with ignored players as anyone else.

I wish it worked though, especially in pvp. So many players I'd never want to be teamed up with again...
  • myles08807myles08807 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 409 Arc User
    I've bailed on one CTA run so far when I noticed that two toons weren't participating. Otherwise it's been good for me...fingers crossed. I feel a bit sorry for the people I left behind, but I refuse to reward loiterers for their absence of effort by doubling mine.
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    they are griefing, so you can lure mobs to campfire, that not considered as griefing as long they idle at campfire, they should communicate if they cant handle scaled mobs.
    i hate wordless players. we dont know if they cant speak or using bot scripts for CTA events.
  • deceondarkbladedeceondarkblade Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    This is an old problem. Before Q groups it would happen during Tiamat because, Win or lose your still got rewards. In fact I'd venture to say in the early days it was probably in the top 3 reasons for failure. I imagine it happens with Demogorgon and pug groups. Sorry if this sounds condescending but, find a good guild and run private Queues with guildies, even in CTA, at least until you can roll regardless of the participation others
  • arabaturarabatur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 778 Arc User
    Cryptic does not care about about leechers/afkers because in their blinkered view the metrics show that content is being run. And metrics are the only thing that count.
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    If one wants to avoid battle, they can always avoid. Whatever punishment be introduced, they can deflect it. No camp fire camper? They stay in the backend of the battle ground. Need some minimum damage? They just do minimum damage and stop.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    wylonus said:

they are griefing, so you can lure mobs to campfire, that not considered as griefing as long they idle at campfire, they should communicate if they cant handle scaled mobs.
    i hate wordless players. we dont know if they cant speak or using bot scripts for CTA events.

You cannot lure mobs to camp fire in CTA. It is in a different area. Even if you can, what is the punishment? Died? Do they care? You are just wasting your time doing so.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    Not just AFK players are a nuisance. Lvl 6-70 praying alts with 70 IL and not even skilled are queing for the easy ADs. You know what is what, when your 2k boonless LS alt GF is paingiver and did more dmg, then the other 4 players combined.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • sorvikcorsairsorvikcorsair Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    asterotg said:

Not just AFK players are a nuisance. Lvl 6-70 praying alts with 70 IL and not even skilled are queing for the easy ADs. You know what is what, when your 2k boonless LS alt GF is paingiver and did more dmg, then the other 4 players combined.

Recently took my new level 20 GF into the CTA, thought as long as I did some damage it would help... 25 minutes later and I was the top damage, one person sitting out. So annoyed after that I haven't done it since with that toon. Only my 60+ from now on. I thought the AFK bots in PvP were bad.

Neverwinter
    Fearless Wolves - GM
    Slorik - GWF
    Eevil'N - CW
    Sybyl - GF

Star Trek Online

Sorvik Corsair : KDF Reman Engineer
    S'karn Corsair : KDF Gorn Intelligence
    they knew they get ADs from CTA. we dont like getting taken away, there must be a way, need "inactivity timer", then they get nothing for no efforts, one hit for scoring? uh-huh no!
    idea would be, inactivity before chest highlighted, they get instantly boot before claiming the chest rewards. it need "disqualify rule", not the ADs nerf again.

about luring the mobs, now i see why, not possible, sorry.

they are using alts from days of invokings, in attempt to use up bonus ADs to get under 100k limit bonus.
    edited November 2016
    asterotg said:

and this
    wylonus said:

they knew they get ADs from CTA. we dont like getting taken away, there must be a way, need "inactivity timer", then they get nothing for no efforts, one hit for scoring? uh-huh no!
    idea would be, inactivity before chest highlighted, they get instantly boot before claiming the chest rewards. it need "disqualify rule", not the ADs nerf again.

about luring the mobs, now i see why, not possible, sorry.

they are using alts from days of invokings, in attempt to use up bonus ADs to get under 100k limit bonus.

Exactly what happened to me 2 days ago, have a tactician GF, that was made a while ago, she is only a bit over 2K and has only a few boons from Sharandar and DR. I had to give her up, cause i can't afford to maintain her anymore and campaigns were a pain with a tactician build, but anyways she was by a mile top paingiver with her 15 STR, big LOL.

Bots roam it sadly and as some have written in another thread, the new invention is the double bot syndrome, i am meeting more of this new type in many zones. Would be pretty easy to catch them, but i am not holding my breath.

Taking away content as with Gateway was definitely not the right way to do it, hurts only legit players and ever since that day, they moved into game and are growing like mushroom on the north side of a tree.

Cryptic needs to realize, they have to spend a bit on their game and use proper methods to fight bot and leeching (although many times combined) activity.
    The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy.
    Robert E. Lee

Winston Churchill

The human race is a herd. Here we are, unique, eternal aspects of consciousness with an infinity of potential, and we have allowed ourselves to become an unthinking, unquestioning blob of conformity and uniformity. A herd. Once we concede to the herd mentality, we can be controlled and directed by a tiny few. And we are.
    David Icke

• kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    No one will really like the idea, but....

The vast bulk of bots are running for commercial reasons. They fuel the 3rd party sales sites. Those sites have a niche because players can trade and use the AH.

If players have no way to trade with each other, the only use for bots would be for personal use, which is bad but wouldn't be nearly as prevalent, and all remaining 3rd party sites would be pure scams.

It would be a deeply unpopular decision to remove player trading but it would resolve the vast bulk of the bot problem.

So... to the community: given Cryptic's track record, I'd be careful what you wish for.
  • The best way to go nowadays is premade and by that I mean with your guildies or alliance. I have a lvl 60 toon HR and have done CTA a few times with random people...so far no issues with campers. However...when running dungeons this toon has run into a plethora of problems with rude and inconsiderate teammates. The biggest example is when someone leaves the group and another one is brought it. The one brought in has to catch up to the group...you know that, they know that, everyone knows that. Still, you see these clowns telling you in chat, numerous times to "hurry up". Really? I just got here...and not every area allows mounts, so it's press T and make way to them.
  • mysteriasdrassamysteriasdrassa Member Posts: 299 Arc User
    Correct me if I am wrong,,, but isn't there already a way to take care of those squaters? I regularly use the vote to kick option anytime i see someone toasting marshmallows at the campfire and not participating,,, granted this is usually in a skirmish or dungeon,, but i have used it in CTAs as well,,, or don't it work in all of them?
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    I don't think you can kick from event skirmishes/CTAs anymore.

I never run them with any character that can't solo it in under 3 minutes (which is the slow ones). Sitters are... yeah, barely going to get noticed.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    matt, dont give up on GF tactican, i am playing one and it is my main, he is on 3.0k, was 3.1k until mysteriously nerfed, cant find why he dropped 100 points.
    i had GF mentor, he was on top 10 during first 2 yrs, i am nowhere near his max gear base, i am still on lot of rank 9s, been awhile since mod 6 that slow down lot of progressions big time when they took out C-wards from T-bar merchant. my old mentor left long time ago.

i do hate those "AFKers", all they do is to collect ADs and repeats and then cycle again with alts until ADs get too small to get. Cryptic is not doing very aggressive with bots using 3rd party scripts. they know these voliated EULA and CoC.
    they need to block code scripter, make them not able to log with activated plug-ins, except for those with handicap program should register what is legit or have Cryptic design for handicap to play within option menu.

unattended micro combat is illegal, those gain unfair edge by excessive farming and played for hours without breaks, and exploit on overflow xp, and movement script to chests and kit nodes, and they control prices and inflation on auction house.
    wylonus said:

matt, dont give up on GF tactican, i am playing one and it is my main, he is on 3.0k, was 3.1k until mysteriously nerfed, cant find why he dropped 100 points.
    i had GF mentor, he was on top 10 during first 2 yrs, i am nowhere near his max gear base, i am still on lot of rank 9s, been awhile since mod 6 that slow down lot of progressions big time when they took out C-wards from T-bar merchant. my old mentor left long time ago.

Ty bro :) , well if the new Mod 10.5 turns out as much "fun" as i think ;) , i may have time and resources to go back to her and catch up on her missing boons and gear.

Robert E. Lee

Winston Churchill

David Icke

took me 6 months for my GF, from 2.8k to 3.0k, just keep eye for 2x refine points event.
    go to sharandar for refine stones until you get sick of it and Dread Ring's refine stones are all random except weekend "selectable" dungeons for specific stones you need.

if you are in 2.5k, it not that bad to reach 2.8k, then it take longer for 3.0k you can be very decent at 2.8k but not in Thunder zones, they are harder, try not to unlock Cold Run until boons are maxed if you doing solo.

2x refine points event will be back in 2 weeks, so stock it up.