test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sea of Moving Ice Preview Patch Notes: NW.70.20161017a.1

terramakterramak Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 991 Cryptic Developer
Highlights

Camera Distance options no longer available on Preview
The current experiment with allowing the camera to zoom in and out has come to an end. While we like the feature, there's still more testing and tweaking that needs to happen before we can consider shipping this feature to a live shard.

It may come back in future Preview builds, but as always, feature plans are subject to change based on information we find in test.

Screenshot mode ("B" key by default) will remain as it is on the live shard.

Dungeon Key Chest Changes
The changes announced in the Dungeon Key Changes thread are now on the Preview shard. Instead of being able to preview the rewards without spending a key, the player will now receive the rewards immediately upon opening the chest, consuming the key in the process.

While the change has succeeded in initial testing, it'd be appreciated for players on Preview who use this system to keep an eye out and give feedback on the experience - for instance, whether opening it while the inventory is full works as one would expect, whether there are rare cases where the player doesn't receive the items shown in the chest reward UI, or if the rewards from certain locations have unexpectedly changed.

Release Notes

Content and Environment
Boat Travel and Fishing
  • A channeling bar no longer appears while reeling in fish.
  • Action Points now display an updated tooltip during sea travel.
  • Animations have been added for when fish escape.
  • Certain treasure chests have been adjusted to more accessible (or at least less inaccessible) locations.
  • Khyek despawning effects no longer play when respawning or teleporting onto land.
  • Returning to land no longer empties the player character's Stamina and Stealth.
  • Player characters now properly retain their attributes while in a khyek.
  • Players can now properly queue while in a khyek.
    • Known issue: The party still incorrectly breaks up when a player is on a khyek. Don't worry Jorma, you'll sail the seas soon enough.
  • Portobello's Wand of Sight no longer has odd interactions with khyeks.
  • The Action Point meter now properly fills while attempting to catch fish of challenge level 5.
  • The music change when transitioning from land to sea (and vice-versa) has been smoothed out.
    • This music no longer starts playing while the player is drowning.
  • Various audio improvements have been made to sea travel and fishing.
  • Various text improvements and fixes have been made to fish names, maps, and more.
Sea of Moving Ice
  • Dragon Bone Island is now named Icecrag Island.
  • Fog at high elevations no longer becomes nearly opaque at low graphics settings.
  • More voice-over audio has been added to various contacts and quest.
  • Various text has been updated to address typos and significant VO inconsistencies.
Svardborg
  • Certain enemies no longer sometimes spawn inside collision.
  • If a companion is currently tanking Storvald, he will cast Duumvirate on the nearest player, rather than getting stuck.
  • If the Svardborg encounter ends in defeat for the players, the instance now properly lets the players out of the queue.
    • Known issue: Svardborg (Master) still remains open, and still considers players queued, until all players have been outside the map for approximately 5 minutes.
  • Ground-targeted visual effects no longer climb up the back pillars in Svardborg.
  • Rewards no longer incorrectly appear doubled when completing the Svardborg trial.
  • Several buff and debuff icons, originally active for testing purposes, have been cleaned up.
  • Storvald now properly has the visual effects for Icy Veins during the final phase.
  • The Svardborg trial has seen more balance changes in both Normal and Master difficulties.
  • While the manticores are out, Storvald's health bar no longer has thematic embellishment.
Elemental Evil
  • The final task of the Elemental Evil campaign now properly requires all four tracks to be completed before it can be started.

Classes and Balance
Guardian Fighter
  • Commander's Strike no longer incorrectly causes affected teammates to deal far more bonus damage from encounter powers than intended.
    • This power now correctly adds +10% bonus damage, and adds an additional +10% bonus damage per rank (for a maximum of +40%).
  • The fourth rank of Knight's Valor now properly receives its indicated bonus.
Oathbound Paladin
  • Binding Oath
    • Binding Oath now has the following effect: For 5 seconds, nearby enemies are forced to attack you and you gain 100% of your Maximum Hit Points as a Shield. When this effect expires or the shield is depleted foes in a 30' area take 100% of the damage that was taken by the shield and you take 50% of that damage. Additional ranks increase the duration of the shield by 1 second.
    • Binding Oath previously had the following effect: Nearby targets are forced to attack you for 2 seconds. During this time you absorb all damage dealt to you. When this effect expires you takes 50% of that damage and deal 20% of it to all foes in a 30' area. (The damage dealt to each target cannot exceed your Maximum Hit Points. Players affected by this power deal 75% less damage to all targets except for you. Additional ranks increased the duration of the effect by 2 seconds.
    • Binding Oath did now properly taunts, as indicated.
    • The effect of decreasing damage dealt against the Paladin who uses Binding Oath in PvP did not work as indicated. This effect was removed.
  • Absolution
    • Absolution now grants the target 20% of their maximum hit points as a shield, up from a smaller value based on the Paladin's wepaon damage. Additional ranks now grant 10% more of the target's maximum hit points as a shield, up to a maximum of a 50% shield. The Oath of Protection bonus for this power has been adjusted to provide a 50% increase to damage resistance for the duration of the shield. Previously the bonus increased the size of the shield by a small amount.
  • Vow of Enmity
    • Vow of Enmity is now a toggle power with a 10 second cooldown. Pressing Vow of Enmity after a vow has been chosen will remove the vow and trigger the cooldown. Only one target may be affected by your Vow of Enmity at a time. Previously Vow of Enmity could only be recast if the target was killed or after 60 seconds.
  • Circle of Power
    • The effect of circle of power now lasts 10 seconds, down from 20. The cooldown of circle of power has been reduced to 28 seconds, down from 60. In accordance with this adjustment, additional ranks of this power now grant 2 additional seconds to the effect per rank, down from 4. The additional effects gained by Circle of Power when the Paladin has Oath of Devotion or Oath of Protection (30% more outgoing healing and 25% damage resistance, respectively) are now also granted to allies standing within the Circle of Power. This effect does not stack with multiple Circles of Power.
  • Divine Protector
    • Divine protector now redirects 60% of damage taken by nearby allies, down from 100%. The damage reduction effect on the Paladin has been increased to 60%, up from 50%.
  • Sacred Weapon
    • The additional damage dealt by Sacred Weapon has been increased by 50%.

Items and Economy
Sea of Moving Ice
  • Oathkeeper's Shield: This now properly increases five stats, up from four. Deflection has been added to its stats.
  • Reclaimed Runes no longer swap between the main inventory and Profession Resources tab when the player double-clicks on them.
  • Relic Artifact Weapons now provide Everfrost Resistance.
  • Shimmering Hill Emerald and Scintillating Storm Ruby tooltips now state the correct Refinement Point value that they give to non-Relic Artifact Weapon items.
  • Various tooltip text has been updated to address typos.

User Interface
Collections
  • Horn of Valhalla has been added to the Storm King's Thunder collection.
HUD
  • "Chain" art no longer incorrectly appears over the Mount icon when the player isn't affected by Daze or similar action-preventing effects.
Inventory
  • When double-clicking armor kits or jewels in the inventory, they can now properly be applied to equipped items.
Restoration
  • Restoring Relic items from before Sea of Moving Ice once again functions correctly.
  • Restoring stacked Svardborg Trial gems no longer causes the Restoration UI to show a Refinement bar.
  • The Restoration window no longer shows the gear as always having Tier 2 restored stats.
  • Tooltips for Svardborg Trial gems no longer say they're "ready to upgrade."
  • Upgrading a piece of Relic gear to Vivified no longer changes the window to the Refinement UI.
Sword Coast Chronicle
  • The updates to the Storm King's Thunder campaign have received additional visual improvements.

Graphics, Effects, and Animation
General
  • Manaseeker's Orb: This weapon now properly appears while outside of combat.
  • Trailblazer's Bow: This weapon now properly displays weapon enchantments' visual effects.

Localization
General
  • The first pass of localization for German, Italian, and Russian languages has been implemented for the Sea of Moving Ice. More improvements to come.

Comments

• lwedarlwedar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 790 Arc User
    "the current experiment with allowing the camera to zoom in and out has come to an end. While we like the feature, there's still more testing and tweaking that needs to happen before we can consider shipping this feature to a live shard"

welp there goes the best thing on preview right now
    "we all love this game and want it to thrive"
  • imperiousshiniimperiousshini Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 199 Arc User
    I really liked the camera zooms hope it'll be back again.
  • cromejohnsencromejohnsen Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    so CS adds another 40% damage on top of whatever i already dealt to the enemy? You sure you got it right this time? Because on live server the GF dealt way more dmg ( up to 70 mill based on party member initial 14 million hit).

""Circle of Power
    The effect of circle of power now lasts 10 seconds, down from 20. The cooldown of circle of power has been reduced to 28 seconds, down from 60. In accordance with this adjustment, additional ranks of this power now grant 2 additional seconds to the effect per rank, down from 4. The additional effects gained by Circle of Power when the Paladin has Oath of Devotion or Oath of Protection (30% more outgoing healing and 25% damage resistance, respectively) are now also granted to allies standing within the Circle of Power. This effect does not stack with multiple Circles of Power.""

Does the dmg bonus also apply to allies ? Or is it the choosen oath bonus only?

Please consider a DRUFI Fix that when she casts her second "ultimate" which requires you to stand behind an ice block, you can sometimes ( more often than you like it) deal more dmg to her so that she skips her ice casting ability leaving you with only 1 casted ice block for 2 ultimates to survive. If i am doing math correct i dont see how a party that is doing decent damage can surive 7 million dmg without the divinie protector as of right now.
    Are we supposed to deal less dmg and wait for her to cast all of her abilities just because we are too good ? I dont think so.

""The Svardborg trial has seen more balance changes in both Normal and Master difficulties.""
    So, how much hp buff did you guys do this time? 1 billion hp on master ? double dmg ? Come on be honest this time!

• arabaturarabatur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 778 Arc User
    terramak said:

Highlights

The changes announced in the Dungeon Key Changes thread are now on the Preview shard. Instead of being able to preview the rewards without spending a key, the player will now receive the rewards immediately upon opening the chest, consuming the key in the process.

While the change has succeeded in initial testing, it'd be appreciated for players on Preview who use this system to keep an eye out and give feedback on the experience - for instance, whether opening it while the inventory is full works as one would expect, whether there are rare cases where the player doesn't receive the items shown in the chest reward UI, or if the rewards from certain locations have unexpectedly changed.

Why even bother if the rewards are still as pitiful as on the live server? I assume you have read this thread, no?
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    @terramak have u guys tested the key changes in ecc/etos/egwd/elol, the epic key chest were given the option to choose which ring/chest/helmet/boots to pick, because in the past the optionj asking if the player wants to use the key gave loot from normal tos/cc/gwd?

ps: a boost to epic drops in cn, like +4/+5 rings, and epic ancient gear, that i would be willing to use my keys there, otherwise i will be spending it on etos, it at leat grants me 1 epic loot in chest(if it doest drop), please answer this ty
    Post edited by arcanjo86 on
  • galopikusgalopikus Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    "Divine protector now redirects 60% of damage taken by nearby allies, down from 100%. The damage reduction effect on the Paladin has been increased to 60%, up from 50%."

Why is Divine protector's redirected damage being reduced? If you absolutely have to reduce it, wouldn't it make more sense if it was at least 80%? The power only lasts for 6 seconds, so does the reduction in the redirected damage mean the time this daily is effective will also be increased to at least 10 seconds? Reducing the redirected damage to 60% basically makes it just like Knight's Valor (KV), except that KV stays on until the GF gets stunned or dazed. We don't need another Shield of Faith either.

As a tank I want to protect my party. Divine Protector already had its active time reduced to 6 seconds and that made it so I would have to save my daily till i saw a huge attack coming that would tear most of my teammates apart, now it's just another Shield of Faith that lasts half as long. Now how am I supposed to protect my team from the 16 million everfrost damage Drufy dishes out? 40% of that damage is still too much!
  • mistranmistran Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    terramak said:

Highlights

Then at least make the time to make new keys 10 seconds down from 18 hours

• diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    There's a lot of good class balance changes, however, there are some critical changes that still need to happen that break game balance completely, and that shouldn't take that long to implement.

I'm mainly talking about stats sharing with companions equipped with bonding runestones. On my DC, I can buff people from 40k buffed power (with r12 bondings) to 125k power with anointed army and blessing of battle, feated with battle fervor. We're looking at a 212% damage buff with two spells only...

But it's not only power. Def stat boots can boost characters up to the DR cap effortlessly. The siege master pet can do that. Any stat buffs to pets with bondings ends up giving broken results, amplifying power creep to unprecedented levels.

I mean, do you consider this balanced?

http://imgur.com/a/ybAUf

In addition, anointed army makes players almost immortal for 4 hits, and given how easy it is to spam with the current levels of AP gain, 4 hits is a lot and greatly trivializes content. I don't remember the last time I had to dodge a telegraph when playing my cleric.

Stat buffs shouldn't affect pets. The changes you made so far are positive, but please try to find some time to fix this too. :smile:

• terramakterramak Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 991 Cryptic Developer
    Thanks for the feedback, folks. Most of the changes in this Preview update are from closer to the beginning of this week (as suggested by the build version), and we'll continue to keep an eye on the comments and questions.

As a general comment: As always, please treat your fellow players - your fellow people - with respect. While a significant bug (the dungeon key chest issue) is being addressed this update, as mentioned in the original post, we understand that some players have come to rely on this bug, and the nature of it caused some to perceive it as standard functionality.

I do not expect to pursue use of this functionality as an exploit. We understand that players are still putting time and energy into this content, whether or not they choose to use a key, and some may choose to do so until the moment the live servers go down for the module release.

Personally, I just hope folks don't burn themselves out from the feeling that they have to make optimal use of this bug before the module update.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    terramak said:

Personally, I just hope folks don't burn themselves out from the feeling that they have to make optimal use of this bug before the module update.

What about rolling back the changes so that it doesn't happen? This is a possibility too.
  • imperiousshiniimperiousshini Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    @terramak
    Is that a propmt that the loot will get better with the fix and that the keys will get more value after the module update?
  • hawkendhawkend Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    @terramak

What's about Combatant Manuever? This insignia still not working with the most CC powers...
  • feadan#2363 feadan Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    With all these Paladin nerfs is there any chance you could make Sanctuary actually have an effect at mid to higher item levels?

Due to only raising damage resistance it does nothing to reduce damage once you already have 80%. Even when my Paladin was 2700 I could easily get beyond the cap without Sanctuary (and these changes add yet another DR source).
  • kate#1038 kate Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    @terramak
    you changing core and main Oathbound Paladin powers : Binding Oath,Circle of Power and Divine Protector
    Will OP get a free Respec Token?

Can you add front zone to Sanctuary(be more like Guard), because BO changes highly affect on survivability at hi tier dungeons.
    Also Divine Protector 100%->60%, but not time decrease in cast animation and uptime from 6s to 10-15s?

• malakut#1916 malakut Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    terramak said:

Highlights

Camera Distance options no longer available on Preview
    The current experiment with allowing the camera to zoom in and out has come to an end. While we like the feature, there's still more testing and tweaking that needs to happen before we can consider shipping this feature to a live shard.

Wait, so you mean I can't play anymore? I can only play at gfxsetdefaultfov 95 because anything closer gives me severe migraines. Please tell me this isn't so...
  • hastati96hastati96 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    @terramak
    Has the eye of the giant bug already been fixed? It gives player 2million power and is pretty game breaking. Please fix it. :smile:
    Nero - Palacetamol - Essence of Aggression
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    terramak said:

As always, please treat your fellow players - your fellow people - with respect. While a significant bug (the dungeon key chest issue) is being addressed this update, as mentioned in the original post, we understand that some players have come to rely on this bug, and the nature of it caused some to perceive it as standard functionality.

Please do not request respect when calling the Dungeon Key Changes a bug in the same paragraph. While technically true, it's effectively not. Player do not "perceive", you made it a standard feature by ignoring it for so long.

I hope nobody is giving feedback on the nerf. This is one thing we can actually do to show "respect" to our fellow players. Thanks for your understanding.
  • hastati96hastati96 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    I think the paladin nerfs will have a huge, positive impact in PvE.
    You will finally need to play with brain again. Since they released the paladin it was always just casting bubble and then casting your spells, the whole group was immortal. It wasn't really fun to play. It made the content pretty easy, even FBI wasnt a really challenge with a good pala.
    The changes are making the paladin a more average class and are making the gf a more viable tank in endgame content which I like.
    Nero - Palacetamol - Essence of Aggression
  • kitkathdkitkathd Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    When is the preview shard coming up I keep trying to log in to test the changes to see if this game is worth returning to but it keeps saying the server is unavailable.
  • salmistrasalmistra Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Thank you for progressive total kill paladin. Now, the 90 percent required a tank GF. Do I have other characters.

Post edited by salmistra on
  • deterrant#6687 deterrant Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    Are you going to boost the loots?

Are you making the loot-tables visible in any form in preview for the chests and does it show the drop chances?

DO we get free keys to test the loots? No use testing the loot changes IF they are implemented cos no use doing multiruns if u cannot open the 2nd chest without keys or not having enough epic dungeon keys for the main chest.

I have lots of keys, but many who want to test this dont.

Could you shed some light on these issues, please?
  • qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    kitkathd said:

When is the preview shard coming up I keep trying to log in to test the changes to see if this game is worth returning to but it keeps saying the server is unavailable.

I would like an answer to that as well as I am having the same problem. I have already started a thread about it in the Bugs section.

• goatfaceonegoatfaceone Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    @terramak you need to add better rewards to current chests

Sword Coast Adventures Epic Companion Only Gear would be a start
    Defender/Master for T1, Commander for T2, and Avenger for T2.5/Trials/etc
    -
    +1 and+2 Rings need to be removed from the loot pool
    -
    Boon Items, Haarl's, Dwarven Spelunking, etc need drop rate increased

make more stuff BtA if worried about to much AD generation

• feadan#2363 feadan Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    hastati96 said:

I think the paladin nerfs will have a huge, positive impact in PvE.

Even more people in /lfg spamming for tanks because they can't find one?
    hastati96 said:

The changes are making the paladin a more average class and are making the gf a more viable tank in endgame content which I like.

It might make the GF the only viable endgame tank. They've still got their 80% damage intercept from guard and even complete damage immunity after dailies, both which scale with enemy damage. Every class has a way to dodge or survive those huge boss attacks, except Paladins. All they've got now are a few temporary hitpoints that don't scale with enemy damage.
  • urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    terramak said:

I mean if this really was a concern you wouldn't have posted anything about it until you had some changes to mitigate the effects of fixing it. The complete lack of response on this is ridiculous. You don't even have to put forward anything specific you just need to have someone commit to actually doing something to make it worthwhile to use legendary dragon keys/campaign keys.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    "significant" bug...that you wait 2 1/2 years to fix...enough with the BS
  • dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    urabask said:

terramak said:

I mean if this really was a concern you wouldn't have posted anything about it until you had some changes to mitigate the effects of fixing it. The complete lack of response on this is ridiculous. You don't even have to put forward anything specific you just need to have someone commit to actually doing something to make it worthwhile to use legendary dragon keys/campaign keys.
    ding ding ding! we have a winner!

This discussion has been closed.