test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please stop saying this game is free to play when its NOT.

its unnerving to hear over and over this is a free to play game, when its not at all, its only free till level 70 lets not fool ourselves, i would rather have payed 59.99 and 14.99 a month subscription fee to play this game in meanwhile what this game does is drain your pocket to be on par with everyone else, this game by far is the most expensive game i ever played in my life, i spent more money on this game in 3 months then i did in 5 years buying games. its otherwise ludicrous to think otherwise. yea i know go farm AD , do mr a favor i have a life and i wont spend 12 hours a day farming AD, i say let us pay for the game dont do us any favors but stop this BS of how this is free when its not at all.

Comments

• ace#9545 ace Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    And awAAAAAyyy we go... :*

¤¤¤ Wyld Pyrates ¤¤¤

Mature, Respectful, Committed, and SOCIAL Players...
    ...who have a major ARRRRRRsenal!

Check Us Out At: www.Pyrates.Boards.Net

PSN : Ace-Wyld ¤¤¤ FaceBook : Ace Wyld
    YouTube : Ace Wyld (NWO Guild Feature Videos Coming Soon)
  • mvffin1mvffin1 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    It's free if you want it to be. Just because you would rather spend money than spend time, that doesn't mean everyone else does or should. And don't worry about being "on par with everyone else." Jealousy is only gonna leave you broke.
  • zaggy101#7615 zaggy101 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    It's not that hard to get AD, get a guild form friendships it is a mmo and social game.. do the dailys for boons and get goods to sell or keep for self, do the dungeons which also give loot, all mmo's are a grind and this is probably one of the best free to play games for console...... fyi it is free.... there's so much content and story to... seem's like your making it seem like a chore when it isn't really.... ive gotten my mvp from just buying and selln things despite the market being up...... this had more content and things to do than most games that are out .....
    mvffin1 said:

It's free if you want it to be. Just because you would rather spend money than spend time, that doesn't mean everyone else does or should. And don't worry about being "on par with everyone else." Jealousy is only gonna leave you broke.

Yep...it is "free to play" not "free to be number-one superman dominate all with laser-eyes".

¤¤¤ Wyld Pyrates ¤¤¤

• skyclaw#9517 skyclaw Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    not jelly of anybody, ur missing the point, i cannot do the content at all if im not geared up, this game is set up for failure if you dont pay, so its very misleading to say its free. i want to pay i dont want free at all , i suggest 59.99 and 14.99 sub fee like elder scrolls. and this will give me the content and the means to be on par.
  • xzotix#2893 xzotix Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    mvffin1 said:

Second this!!!
  • grendlerose#7658 grendlerose Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    giggidy
  • dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User

not jelly of anybody, ur missing the point, i cannot do the content at all if im not geared up, this game is set up for failure if you dont pay, so its very misleading to say its free. i want to pay i dont want free at all , i suggest 59.99 and 14.99 sub fee like elder scrolls. and this will give me the content and the means to be on par.

It's pretty clear you're just inviting pointless conflict at this point haha. There are plenty of other games to choose from if you want a subscription model.

And just because you don't like the definitions of words doesn't mean that you can redefine them. This game is free to play. You can play it for free. There is not a single thing in this game that you cannot acquire if you invest enough time. It also allows you to invest money instead of time, but that is a choice for each player.

i spent more money on this game in 3 months then i did in 5 years buying games

Most likely you spent your money in very inefficient ways. It's been proven multiple times that you can easily conquer all of the PvE content in this game without dropping a penny, and if you get VIP you can accelerate your progression quite noticeably.

I'm not saying this game is without problems, but the problems you cite here are not really issues for Neverwinter.
  • couze#3673 couze Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    Why bother feeding into this? Lol Mike you bought all your gear 2 days after reaching level 70. What did you expect? You invested poorly and continue making the same mistakes. No one forced you to buy all your gear, or the dragonborn pack. It was a choice. One you must regret. I made 8 million AD in 3 days simply by being smart and using the tools that were given to me. I spent $25 on this title and that is it. If you stop trying to chase being the top geared player in 24 hours you will be fine. It literally takes 2 hours a day to make millions of AD effortlessly by simply supplying necessities for others. You do not have to pay anything to succeed. While you bought all your stuff in 48 hours, I invested in VIP 12. 1 million AD that is all It cost me. Here we are almost 3 months later, that same 1 mil AD barely gets you 3 months. You are still chasing BiS and I am consistently building my account to supply all my needs. It does not take 12 hours a day. It takes wise investment and efficient time management. PS tell crab hello.
  • couze#3673 couze Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    > @dupeks said:
    > not jelly of anybody, ur missing the point, i cannot do the content at all if im not geared up, this game is set up for failure if you dont pay, so its very misleading to say its free. i want to pay i dont want free at all , i suggest 59.99 and 14.99 sub fee like elder scrolls. and this will give me the content and the means to be on par.
    >
    > It's pretty clear you're just inviting pointless conflict at this point haha. There are plenty of other games to choose from if you want a subscription model.
    >
    > And just because you don't like the definitions of words doesn't mean that you can redefine them. This game is free to play. You can play it for free. There is not a single thing in this game that you cannot acquire if you invest enough time. It also allows you to invest money instead of time, but that is a choice for each player. i spent more money on this game in 3 months then i did in 5 years buying games
    >
    > Most likely you spent your money in very inefficient ways. It's been proven multiple times that you can easily conquer all of the PvE content in this game without dropping a penny, and if you get VIP you can accelerate your progression quite noticeably.
    >
    > I'm not saying this game is without problems, but the problems you cite here are not really issues for Neverwinter.

> @dupeks said:
    > not jelly of anybody, ur missing the point, i cannot do the content at all if im not geared up, this game is set up for failure if you dont pay, so its very misleading to say its free. i want to pay i dont want free at all , i suggest 59.99 and 14.99 sub fee like elder scrolls. and this will give me the content and the means to be on par.
    >
    > It's pretty clear you're just inviting pointless conflict at this point haha. There are plenty of other games to choose from if you want a subscription model.
    >
    > And just because you don't like the definitions of words doesn't mean that you can redefine them. This game is free to play. You can play it for free. There is not a single thing in this game that you cannot acquire if you invest enough time. It also allows you to invest money instead of time, but that is a choice for each player. i spent more money on this game in 3 months then i did in 5 years buying games
    >
    > Most likely you spent your money in very inefficient ways. It's been proven multiple times that you can easily conquer all of the PvE content in this game without dropping a penny, and if you get VIP you can accelerate your progression quite noticeably.
    >
    > I'm not saying this game is without problems, but the problems you cite here are not really issues for Neverwinter.

Well, let me say he was once part of my guild. Let us also say he is a friend of a friend of a friend, lol. This is not DCUO. This is a real free to play, player controlled economy. He got to 70 and bought everything without even getting boons, lol. Probably just bought them all with mod10. The last part is speculation as he left my guild 2months ago without ever contributing to the coffer outside of shards of power. There are some players who see the greater path and others that walk the lonely road chasing 4k in a day, but refuse to appreciate the journey. I used to be that way too, but I would rather have 49 farmers than 1 adventurer.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    Talk about selfish. So, because one player cant control themselves and spends wildly. EVERYONE else should be subjected to fixed costs?

Ive been here 3 years, Ive spent far less over that time then I would of with a subscription. And I don't feel myself lacking for it. Why should I have to subsidise you? Why should we all have to deal with a subscription simply because you have to have it all NOW?

• ateris#4018 ateris Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Wha? You can gear up without spending money... im currently at 2300 ilvl, a few days ago bought 1 month of vip using the ZAX and im currently saving AD for a white tiger (need 600kAd more) and of course the progression is very slow compared to a whale but i really don't care even if reaching 4k ilvl will take me 1 year but that will be 10x times rewarding.

Btw i play like 2-4 hours a day and i can throw the wallet at the screen like a lot of people do and buy my ilvl but i will not do that, is just dumb and not fun.
  • dukeguard#8158 dukeguard Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    So I log in for the first time use plastic and deck my toon(s) with the BIS items that $$$ can buy and am done with the game within a few days/1 week. Get bored then complain. How is that fun? Some people don't like to wait I get it.

Like mvffin1 said it's free if you want it to be. I played MMA for 2 years w/o spending a single cent got adamantium league 6 times in a row until I felt that the game won't last and will eventually shut down and quit 2 years prior to its closure. Needless to say there were a lot of pissed individuals who felt betrayed from all the $$$ and time they invested in and they didn't get to keep anything but screenshots and youtube videos in the end. That's why you shouldn't invest too much $$$ in online games. It's their IP you can spend $100k and you still won't own a thing on their servers.
    Post edited by dukeguard#8158 on
  • frostreever#9329 frostreever Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    Remind some of the guy losing his mind after spending $1700 on keys and ONLY getting griffins.
    Not sure why I'm doing this, feel like I'm feed a biped from Dwarven Valley...
    But.

I'm curious, is someone holding a gun to your head, making you play?
    If not, then you have zero ground to stand on.

It's not going to change, this is the game.
    Don't like it, the door is over there.

Like others, last double ad I made 5mil.
    That was a grindy weekend for me.
    But typically I play average of 4 hours a day.
    First couple hours is invoking, professions, and daily dungeons.
    I clear 90kad a day with the new invoking bonus. And then have a couple hours to screw around.

What content are you locked out of?
    I can't do the newest dungeon, or epic demo, but I have access to everything else.
    And by the by, I spent, total between my wife and I, on this game as much as ONE full Price game to get us started.
    Neither of us have spent a dime since.

Side note though, thank you.

'Deep thinking' whales such as yourself, enable the game to continue to be free for that are two things:
    Players that enjoy PLAYING the game.
    And players that understand the definition of MMO is. Grinding.

Good day to you sir.
  • finnthehuman81#7385 finnthehuman81 Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    Im over 27k gear score , VIP bought with AD and I've spent 30 bucks. Only 10 of it was usefull, a blue ward, the first 20 was when I first started playing and thought I was buying lock box keys, they were strong box keys and I was not in a guild. Lol on me. But think I'm doing ok by not spending money, spending very little.
  • dairyzeusdairyzeus Member Posts: 304 Arc User
    I've been playing on PS4 for 2 months now and as of yesterday spent my first actual money on the game (20 bucks for a key pack which got me the dread I wanted).

It's all about patience and knowledge. Saving resources for 2x events, making good investments in VIP and wanderer's fortune, and of course getting a bit lucky.

I finish every dungeon at the top, or in second place in dps. Can I hold my own against some of the best geared people in pvp? not really, but I don't expect to.

This game is not P2W, it's pay to advance.

• mcxanatosmcxanatos Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    It's not the games fault that you have the mentality that you need to be on par with people who spend money to play the game. That's your own pride and ego thinking that you have to keep up with everyone else by spending money. Yes, spending money on the game makes you progress exponentially faster than if you did not spend any money, but that's the benefit of spending money. Plenty of players enjoy the game and don't spend any $$ on it, but those players also understand that it takes a lot longer to get caught up and aren't trying to keep up with people who do spend.
  • killybamp#8011 killybamp Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    From a slightly different perspective, I have to say that this game is not 100% free, as it is portrayed. Some items are only available to purchase with Zen, or trade bars, which require real cash to obtain.

"But those items are tradable, you can buy them on the auction house" - Yes, but only if real money has been spent by someone to obtain them in the first place.

"But you can convert AD into Zen" - Correct, however, someone has to purchase the Zen to then offer it for trade on the exchange. No Zen is available without someone obtaining it via real cash first.

So in a true sense, this game is not 100% free at all. Someone HAS to feed cash into the system for a large amount of items to become available.
  • mcxanatosmcxanatos Member Posts: 16 Arc User

From a slightly different perspective, I have to say that this game is not 100% free, as it is portrayed. Some items are only available to purchase with Zen, or trade bars, which require real cash to obtain.

"But those items are tradable, you can buy them on the auction house" - Yes, but only if real money has been spent by someone to obtain them in the first place.

"But you can convert AD into Zen" - Correct, however, someone has to purchase the Zen to then offer it for trade on the exchange. No Zen is available without someone obtaining it via real cash first.

So in a true sense, this game is not 100% free at all. Someone HAS to feed cash into the system for a large amount of items to become available.

The game does not force anyone to spend money in order to access and play the game. Regardless of what content is or is not available in the game, the game itself is 100% free to play. I've never once been told by the game that I couldn't log in, access my character, and run around without paying them, so therefore I have always played the game for free.

What you are talking about is true, there has to be someone putting cash into the game hence why there are some items that are unobtainable without someone spending Zen. That's not making the game pay to play in any way, though, as there are some players who never have to spend a single penny in order to get those items.

And honestly... it's either that we're all going to have to buy the game and/or pay a monthly subscription or we have a cash shop where players who choose to can spend money to progress faster. I for one would rather have a cash shop so that I don't have to worry about paying a monthly subscription to play the game.
  • zheng#6107 zheng Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    Your tears are delicious
  • tisko1992#1367 tisko1992 Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    Free to download, free to play ,free to pay.
  • russ4ua17#7677 russ4ua17 Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    Poor dude is getting no love. I've spent money, not like others and never on plastic, but you guys being all high and mighty toward him is bs. This game ain't free and to the fella claimg top dps and doesn't spend money- ya right. Maybe when you que in, which geared players don't bother with. This game is designed to take advantage of anyone with a competitive nature and a credit card. I like it and I'll play until the key change is confirmed but don't call it free and don't defend it. Keep it 100
  • zheng#6107 zheng Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    It's the same mentality as pvpers you find Icewind dale all the time, if I win its skill, if I lose its p2w, 200% of the time
  • tisko1992#1367 tisko1992 Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    Ofc upgrading your gear and buying other things with zen will give you a boost but it will still remain free to play however there is an possibility to pay for extras
  • skyclaw#9517 skyclaw Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    I guess what they say is true, If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Beware of offers for free products.
  • emkayseeemkaysee Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    This game is free to play.
    TRUE STORY:

I went to a "Free Dinner" one time.
    When I got there they gave me a piece of chicken, a baked potato, and a roll.
    I was happy, and was eating my "free dinner".

Then I noticed this other table was filled with people whose plates held a steak, mashed potatoes, baked corn, baked beans, and a whole basket of dinner-rolls.

I politely asked one of the servers: "Why is that table having different food than us?"
    The server replied: "Because they are supplying (paid for) this free meal for us all, and have also paid for their own special meals."

I then went over to that table, and thanked them for my dinner.

Moral of the story:

You are sometimes the one needing a free dinner, and sometimes you are the one giving a free dinner...but, at least everybody gets to eat. ;)

¤¤¤ Wyld Pyrates ¤¤¤

• sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User

I guess what they say is true, If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Beware of offers for free products.

You know, spending lavishly for something is also not a sure bet. Something you, yourself, did, and are still complaining for it. Seems to me, it has less to do with a free lunch and more to do with you suffering from buyers remorse.
  • russ4ua17#7677 russ4ua17 Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    ace#9545 said:

TRUE STORY:

I went to a "Free Dinner" one time.
    When I got there they gave me a piece of chicken, a baked potato, and a roll.
    I was happy, and was eating my "free dinner".

Then I noticed this other table was filled with people whose plates held a steak, mashed potatoes, baked corn, baked beans, and a whole basket of dinner-rolls.

I politely asked one of the servers: "Why is that table having different food than us?"
    The server replied: "Because they are supplying (paid for) this free meal for us all, and have also paid for their own special meals."

I then went over to that table, and thanked them for my dinner.

Moral of the story:

You are sometimes the one needing a free dinner, and sometimes you are the one giving a free dinner...but, at least everybody gets to eat. ;)

Funny, the moral I got was: "If it were not for people like the OP spending money, the people bashing him wouldn't have a game to play." Remember that next time ya'll decide to pile on someone for buying zen.
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    I have 6 characters, 3 of which are over 3k. I haven't paid a penny in 18 months. Iv'e spent a total of $20 and that was on keys when I first started playing.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
This discussion has been closed.