test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dungeon Key Changes

Comments

• putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User

putzboy78 said:

From the developer's perspective though, if you use just one key over and over and over, you avoid questing and earning the materials to create a key. Not all developers are money grubbers; some want you to play the content they've created.

you do realize the programers that wrote those campaign zones are long gone from cryptic right?
    You do realize that my statement was a general statement and not specific to the programmers who worked on that content right?

I know I'm fighting a losing battle trying to maintain some level of neutrality in this discussion but your response (and my response above to yours) aren't contributing to it. I don't feel that fixing this "bug" is a big deal; it won't affect me at all. But to some, it is a big deal. I'm not here bashing Cryptic or dismissing the many people upset with this proposed change. Instead, I'm reading the responses and trying to understand why and hopefully offer some potential solutions/compromises. You know, that whole constructive criticism thing. Whether or not this gets read by Cryptic....who knows?

If this won't effect you, then you live under a rock and are anti-social. It has already impacted the game. Some of the best players have already tossed in the towel with this change being the last straw RIP @sharpedge. Filling your guild with people to play with will be harder than ever. Finding geared and skilled people to interact with will be harder than ever. If you happen to be one of those people who do not play content then yeah your RP environment will still be there but could easily be replaced with a chat room. If you happen to be one of those people who do not interact with others in game then I'm not really sure why you play an MMO, when there are so many better RPGs out there. MMOs are about people and this change directly impacts the quality and quantity of people we have to play with. Pretty sure i detect trolling with you being the only person willing to pound the drum in favor of this change.

This change does not kill all dungeons. What it does kill is Fangbreaker and the coming raid. Nobody will grind for or buy keys just to get junk. They are already gated by Item Level and ER, so take the number of players that are 3.2k and subtract those who are willing to grind like mad or buy keys. That is a very small number.

It willkill T1s also, without the chance at premium loot the second chest had noone will want to spend 5k on a key for 3k in loot. So the already overrun eToS and CN will be the only dungeons left in the game to play. I would consider edemo and the demonic skirmishes dead with this change also as the rewards are small and with twisted nolonger being BiS weapons for most builds no one will want to bother with it.
  • superent666superent666 Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    I just utterly fail to believe no one in the team was able to figure out that announcing this - in this way (yea bug..right...no elaboration on dramatically improved loot -> should have led with that if that is planned...and to finish off with mentioning the lowering of the key price...omg -.-)..would cause a shitstorm...but those people on the team obviously do not call the shots...so..one can only hope that -before the next moronic plan pans out- they stand up and tell those that do call the shots to quit the nonsense already.
    And while you´re at it....please remind them it is dungeons & dragons...not fishing & heroic encounters laced with shoveling up HAMSTER like a little gnome. :s
  • hypergorila2hypergorila2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    It's not a bug feature it's a feature bug.
  • pr3stigexpr3stigex Member Posts: 419 Arc User
    xeltey said:

There is a feature in the Neverwinter game whereby players can open a bonus chest at the end of certain dungeons through use of special items named:

• Legendary Dragon Key
    • Daily Dungeon Chest Key
    • Epic Dungeon Chest Key
    • Standard Dungeon Chest Key
    • Mystic Dragon Key
    • Arcane Dragon Key
    • Dragon Queen’s Key
    • Lesser Demonic Key
    • Greater Demonic Key
    • Malabog’s Castle Key
    • Valindra’s Tower Key
    • Kessell’s Retreat Key
    • Ancient Runic Key
    • Dark Fey Key
    • Thayan Chest Key
    • Thayan Lair Key
    Keys are currently acquired by purchasing them from the Zen Market, completing certain campaign tasks, or obtaining them from certain non-player characters. Each key can be used to open and claim the rewards from one chest.

In the Sea of Moving Ice update releasing on the live server on November 8th, there will be a change happening to how these keys work.

There is currently a bug on the live server whereby a player may view the rewards without using a key. This bug has been fixed. When this fix gets to the live server, opening a chest will consume the key, give the player the rewards, and display those rewards to the player. To ensure that keys are not accidentally used, the user interface in game will alert you to which key would be consumed and ask for confirmation before continuing.

Since this bug has been live for a long time and we believe that some players may have come to rely on this bug, we are providing advance notice of the change.

As part of this change we are also lowering the cost of the Zen store item “Legendary Dragon Key 5-Pack” from 300 Zen to 250 Zen.

We are pleased to address this bug because it resolves an inequity between the minority of players who knew about it and the majority who did not, and because the Neverwinter design team will be better able to design rewards for chests going forward now that the bug has been fixed.

- The Neverwinter Team
    HAHAHAHAHAHA I been on destiny and was planning on coming back today, maybe not!!!

50zen discount for your troubles lololollololololololololololololololololololololololololooloolooooolololololol
    Lash Urzoth 3.7k GWF, Pr3sTiGe 3k SW.
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    The change makes sure we don't all have access to the new weapons soon as the mods opens
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • geezer10f1geezer10f1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    I think we should let Arc know how many people will quit if the key "bug" fix is implemented. Just type in *Quit*

Quit!

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1223989/notice-upcoming-change-to-chest-keys
  • urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    metalldjt said:

Well i am not far from truth, it has been easy for them to be selective for the past few years... But once again they mess up with their statements, reason why not so many ppl are admiting to it as an exploit is that they dont want to get banned.

You see i'm not an ignorant as many of these announcements, but honestly being all the time selective as they decide what is wrong, what is right it pisses me off.. Honestly for this past year only 1 dev made the difference in 2 weeks as none of the others done in 2 years. I would like for amenar to come back and the rest should go an ruin other games as [bashing of specific dev removed. Please, let's not do that.] done, actually erase that i dont wish for other communities to endure what we had endured so far.

It is sad that these most of these decisions arent taken from a gamer point of view, not even from the dev point of view , but only as a buisness man, which is totally wrong...i guess it is goin to be even worse soon enough...thanks for the only dev that mattered in this game even thou it lasted for 3 weeks. This game is sinkin into abyss.

Ps: rollback 10 zen = 1 key 250 zen = 25x keys problem solved.

You do realize that they're full of hamster when they say that this is a bug, right? Enforcing bans for this would be nigh on impossible because they'd have to have been tracking how often someone declines chests and speculate as to what that means. There is no way to avoid false positives here and the way in which the "exploit" is done is basically a game feature so they'd kill their game even more than they already are by handing out bans for this.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • mystoclesmystocles Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    This is a joke, just like all the recent content released.
  • urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    metalldjt said:

@urabask remember winter festival banwave? they are so full of inconsistency that it's so damn easy...

I dont know at this point whats the deal with mimicking, maybe this game truly deserves to die.

That's a perfect example as to why they won't be handing out bans here. On the other hand they could much more easily deal with those bans because it's dealing with concrete numbers whereas bans for declining chests would rely on more abstract values.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • pekupekuipekupekui Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 21 Arc User
    Oh my... I only hope they either increase the drop chance of stuff or make the bosses drop something 100% of the time. I don't even care if that something is a Peridot. Just anything will do instead of the usual nothing.

Also I think where this hurts more is in eDemo. "Yay, let's use a key in a chest we can't decline to get........ a +1... Totally worth it!! Now let's wait a day to try again ^^".
    So let's all agree on a new game to play and make that company rich
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    By all rules of logic and common sense, using keys to look in chests without using them up should have never been how it worked. It's comical nonsense that you can use a key to look in a box and then decide later that you never actually used the key. Even Schrodinger's Cat would say what the hamster.

That said, after letting this be around for so long, to remove it is tearing something very valuable away from the players. Calling it a bug is just pouring salt on the wound to the degree it borders on intellectual hostility. If you're dead set on making this change and want to salvage what little respect you can, acknowledge that it wasn't a bug getting fixed, it's a feature that is being removed, and the original post misstated that.

The decline button was a deliberate design decision that was the only reason 95% of people ever even bothered with these keys at all. Do you think now that those people who are addicted to it will just keep on using them? You are wrong, and will see it in the numbers soon enough.

If you're gonna do this though, at the VERY LEAST, move all those keys to a separate Key Ring tab. It would be just a tiny little gesture to show that you view us with something *slightly* less than utter contempt.

---

My real fear is what this will lead to. A long time ago, I assumed they would lock all the best chest rewards behind money keys, but gladly they didn't. I'm not quite sure they are suicidal enough to change that right now, but once the dust settles from this, beware.
  • g0rd0nbennetg0rd0nbennet Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Time to look back in at Warcraft and maybe TOS online. This is just total BS. HAMSTER events, far too much required grind and now. Enjoyed the ride from 1 - 70 but this is just plain nuts.
  • sneak#6191 sneak Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Uh-oh. An option.. better squash this bug while you're at it!

Options = bugs; the next great meme.
    Atodaso@sneak#6191
    Tornado Of Souls

• bitt3rnightmar3bitt3rnightmar3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 788 Arc User
    I'm really hoping that the post was meant to be in another language and google translate failed because in no way is a decline button on a chest a 'BUG'.

Relmyna - AC/DC Righteous + Haste| Nadine - CW MoF (working on it)|Buffy - GF SM Tact| Hrist - Justice Tankadin|Healadin (Wannabe Tank)| Lena -MI Sabo TR (Farmer) | Jeska - GWF SM Destroyer (Farmer) | Maggie - HR PF Trapper (Wannabe DPS)
    --
    I'll never retrace my steps.

Some of my best friends are Imaginary.

• dday3six#0683 dday3six Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    I've been playing NW since it launched on PS4 and was rather excited for the release of Mod 10. However once I read this I stopped the download and deleted the game. Regardless of whether this gets implemented or not. I'm walking away from Neverwinter and never looking back.
  • zran#0953 zran Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    11 pages of people taking issue about this mislabeled feature change. Hopefully someone at arc actually reads this thread. I wouldn't have minded so much if they just called it a feature change. I still wouldn't have liked it but from a business stand point I could understand. At this point its simply an insult to your player bases intellect.

11 pages of players acknowledge them arc either by removing this change or admitting the reason behind it.
  • denvalddenvald Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 702 Arc User
    That's pretty deep.

No, I do not want to see this come to live.

P.S. The justification is an outright lie, just like the bots justification was for Gateway, you didn't want to manage a platform that console players didn't have access to. And now, you're doing this to bust off players for more money using keys in the zen shop. At least be honest.

Press 2 to decline the update.

I am the monk, martial skill transcends the battlefield
    It is my my life style, my doctrine and my state of mind,
    You fight well, but without focus and discipline, you will fall.

More threads by me / Click on it B)
    My Support Warlock/Temptation Thread
  • galopikusgalopikus Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    xeltey said:

We are pleased to address this bug because it resolves an inequity between the minority of players who knew about it and the majority who did not, and because the Neverwinter design team will be better able to design rewards for chests going forward now that the bug has been fixed.

- The Neverwinter Team

If this will lead to better rewards for chest, then you should make the rewards in the chests better at the same time the key bug you are now implementing goes live, if not before. Otherwise we're most likely gonna lose interest in opening the extra chests and learn to live without it, and then who knows if you'll ever get people to come back to opening those chests even after you have made the chest rewards "better". So if you are not improving the rewards now, then do not drop that bs key bug your money hungry bosses came up with.
  • uptondarkdiamonduptondarkdiamond Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 169 Arc User
    If they really want to boost key sales they should have 3 chest at the end of a dungeon.

1. Free/Daily key chest: normal RnG.
    2. Campaign key: double triple RnG.
    3. Zen key: 10-25% RnG

Then maybe consider removing the decline feature... erm bug.....

• akita#8849 akita Member Posts: 9 Arc User

New players wont notice these changes, because they never knew about it in the first place. Some of these changes are strategic decisions aimed at new players. I totally understand the thought process in that area.

For us old timers, the list of rage inducing changes or lack of effort in certain areas gets bigger:

1. Coal Wards removed from the Tradebar store. (ouch, that made me never make anymore enchants basically)
    2. Dragon Hoard Enchants. Daily limit on refining drop and 30 second cooldown without adding it to the tooltips.
    3. Countless reported proven bugs that never got fixed...but THIS "chest bug" is getting fixed.
    4. Mod 10, the most grindy of all mods.
    5. STILL, no new dungeons, (sans FBI) or the return of the old dungeons with multi tiers and rewards we can use or sell. (This really boggles my mind)
    6. You seem to have time to put fishing in the game, but not skirmishes and dungeons
    7. Heroic Encounters used to be something we could kinda ignore for the most part, but now they are tied to gear restoration and makes the grind even worse.

The end chest in FBI is a sign of things to come. You need keys for a chance at something. The game has really become a gamblers paradise.

pterias said:

By all rules of logic and common sense, using keys to look in chests without using them up should have never been how it worked. It's comical nonsense that you can use a key to look in a box and then decide later that you never actually used the key. Even Schrodinger's Cat would say what the hamster.

That said, after letting this be around for so long, to remove it is tearing something very valuable away from the players. Calling it a bug is just pouring salt on the wound to the degree it borders on intellectual hostility. If you're dead set on making this change and want to salvage what little respect you can, acknowledge that it wasn't a bug getting fixed, it's a feature that is being removed, and the original post misstated that.

The decline button was a deliberate design decision that was the only reason 95% of people ever even bothered with these keys at all. Do you think now that those people who are addicted to it will just keep on using them? You are wrong, and will see it in the numbers soon enough.

If you're gonna do this though, at the VERY LEAST, move all those keys to a separate Key Ring tab. It would be just a tiny little gesture to show that you view us with something *slightly* less than utter contempt.

---

My real fear is what this will lead to. A long time ago, I assumed they would lock all the best chest rewards behind money keys, but gladly they didn't. I'm not quite sure they are suicidal enough to change that right now, but once the dust settles from this, beware.

• ravenskyaravenskya Member Posts: 1,891 Arc User
    Hmmm considering that my entire guild is having to delete and redownload the game right now on PS4 because of the failed update... I think the timing and wording of this announcement is a bit off.

My feelings are hurt
    Founding Member of "Wrong Side of the Stronghold"
    Ravenskya - TR / Krisha Chaos - OP / Waffles - GF / Dex Domitor - HR
    Becky the trendy GWF - GWF / Too Toasty - SW / Falcor - DC / Morrigan - CW / Sir Didymus - OP

Meanwhile back in the real world....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • akita#8849 akita Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    other people say it so much more eloquently than the HAMSTER coming out of my mouth right now!
  • audioboxer#8681 audioboxer Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    This seems like the kind of decision that comes from the top that the development team feel their soul leaving their body whilst implementing and marketing and PR feel like committing suicide. This won't get overturned as it's a means to try and milk as much money in the short-term as possible with little regards to 6 months down the line.

It would probably literally be better received if NW was going pay monthly or introducing an actual pay monthly optional subscription. Yes VIP is there but it can be paid for via the exchange. If money is tight do an actual paid for sub like TESO which gives added benefits. Have there be no way for anyone to get lucky with an artifact worth millions and then end up paying for a year of VIP. Don't limit yourself to the constant reliance on mobile F2P whales. It is not sustainable and clearly your up tops know this and are forever trying to slip in more ways to frustrate absolutely everyone. Rather than just trying to frustrate those willing to drop hundreds as they have the money or are such bad gamblers they can't stick any grind. Don't try and treat every user as this. Some will only spend $60~100 but you know what money is money. That's more than many want to spend on a new game these days. Yes you guys have servers to maintain but there are ways to continue to fund these and grow your user base. Not shrink your user base and continue to <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> off who is left. So yeah, a monthly sub, not payable by Zen/AD. People will subscribe if there's some decent bonus and it means that by supporting you that way you don't show utter contempt that is borderline offensive to expect every player of your game to display the hardcore addiction of a mentally ill gambler.

That should be how you generate extra income not being scummy around in game mechanics/elements. You know how low your RNG chances are, so to honestly think it's a balanced approach to stop people declining chests is mind-boggling. Again, it's literally wanting to treat everyone that plays your game as if they have a serious gambling addiction. Take note of the amount of games that finally die when contempt for the players reaches boiling point. Gambling in video games might be a lucrative industry but it's not one without controversy and points where gamers have enough. See Valve and CSGO, and Overwatch and their loot crates. Hindsight is useless once your game/studio is dead. Is there still passion in the NW team or is this just a corpse to milk the last drops from?
    Post edited by audioboxer#8681 on
This discussion has been closed.