test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dungeon Key Changes

Comments

• ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    @zwalk FYI Neverwinter just celebrated 3 years this summer on PC. Open Beta started April 2013. Official launch was June 2013.

Dungeon Delve keys were first introduced in Module 3, I believe, which was May 2014.

And Stronghold officially launched on PC August of 2015.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • lowenduslowendus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 322 Arc User
    xeltey said:

There is a feature in the Neverwinter game whereby players can open a bonus chest at the end of certain dungeons through use of special items named:

• Legendary Dragon Key
    • Daily Dungeon Chest Key
    • Epic Dungeon Chest Key
    • Standard Dungeon Chest Key
    • Mystic Dragon Key
    • Arcane Dragon Key
    • Dragon Queen’s Key
    • Lesser Demonic Key
    • Greater Demonic Key
    • Malabog’s Castle Key
    • Valindra’s Tower Key
    • Kessell’s Retreat Key
    • Ancient Runic Key
    • Dark Fey Key
    • Thayan Chest Key
    • Thayan Lair Key
    Keys are currently acquired by purchasing them from the Zen Market, completing certain campaign tasks, or obtaining them from certain non-player characters. Each key can be used to open and claim the rewards from one chest.

In the Sea of Moving Ice update releasing on the live server on November 8th, there will be a change happening to how these keys work.

There is currently a bug on the live server whereby a player may view the rewards without using a key. This bug has been fixed. When this fix gets to the live server, opening a chest will consume the key, give the player the rewards, and display those rewards to the player. To ensure that keys are not accidentally used, the user interface in game will alert you to which key would be consumed and ask for confirmation before continuing.

Since this bug has been live for a long time and we believe that some players may have come to rely on this bug, we are providing advance notice of the change.

As part of this change we are also lowering the cost of the Zen store item “Legendary Dragon Key 5-Pack” from 300 Zen to 250 Zen.

We are pleased to address this bug because it resolves an inequity between the minority of players who knew about it and the majority who did not, and because the Neverwinter design team will be better able to design rewards for chests going forward now that the bug has been fixed.

- The Neverwinter Team
    Dude.
    This is either a bad joke or....someone has set you up to get fired for publishing this one....
  • stevedudemanstevedudeman Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    +1 PO'd customer
  • savvo90savvo90 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 6 Arc User
    this was a bug? ahahahhahahahah this game is a free to pay now gg
  • tom#6998 tom Member Posts: 952 Arc User
    GZ cryptic i wont ever again spend any cent on this game. HAMSTER U ALL CRYPTIC
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator

Reminder Community Moderators are not staff members. They are players who assist with certain aspects of the forum.
    The Doctor GIF is Ironzerg's opinion of the change as a player.

He was trying to be lighthearted in a request to keep the understandable frustration somewhat reigned in. No mocking intended at all.

Didn't know that thanks, thought the devs were mocking the outrage on that "regularly scheduled..." bit. I'm a developer and all the agencies/clients I work with would never let their communities self manage.
    Well, we are not self managed. We are told the policies and guidelines and answer to staff members. We volunteer free time to assist.

Virtually all MMO's have some sort of player moderation. Even billion dollar companies like Riot have community forum posters with additional permissions. Other large companies which you would know (but will not be discussed here) have in game moderators as well.

Think of it like a volunteer fire department...though not normally due to threads like this. The large majority of america's fire departments are 100% volunteer and just because they are volunteers doesn't mean they are not held up to standards. ;)

Do some research. If you play MMO's you probably just haven't noticed how many of the forums are a handful of CM's and a horde of volunteers.
  • boor18boor18 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    If you want be F2P, you must spend more time in game after that update, than now. It's awesome, without luck, and spend money, how much time you must spend in this game now? If you play everyday 2-3h, some more in weeks. 1 year? 2 years? And after update, 50% more. It's sad. I'm a human, no play machine.
  • izworizwor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Very poor decision hidden behind lies.
    I know for sure that Devs intented option to preview reward and claim or decline.
    I remember one of patch notes that imply this. there was bug with one of the chest resulting in not havinga an option to ptreview rewards and that was fixed and called bug fix!

If you really want to implement this change please consider lowering prices for all keys both in campaign curencies (at least 50%) as well as in ZEN store (150 max).
    you think we all are idiots? u just whant more money for a game that dosent deserve that money
  • schiselschisel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3 Arc User
    First of all: Thank you for lying directly into our faces. That will defenetly increase the ammount of support you'll get in the future. Why do you call this a bug when and say the minority of players doesn't know about it. Almost everyone has opened a chest at some point in the game and there are clrearly two buttons. If you can read, which you obviously can if you play the game, then you can most certainly see, that there is a button which says "Decline". So you say you accidentally included a Button in the game? I don't understand a lot of programming but I think you can't put a button somewhere which exactly does what it says and claim it to be a bug. And don't say the key was supposed to be used up all along, than this would imply that there would be a possibility to use 2 keys on the same chest, which then would be clearly a bug.
    I don't want to complain about the drop chance of any good Item in any dungeon. But how do you think someone should get a Legendary ring with one key per day, it took me around about 500 Castle Never-runs to get my first one, so this would result in a grind of 500 days, just for one ring. What is more is, that there are a lot of different keys in the game and one is supposed to always carry one of those with you, when you want to look at the revard in your bonus chest. This already takes away a lot of inventory space. But if this key would be consumed, every time you just look into a chest that would just end in a desaster. Every valuable item, which can be obtained in a dungen, would increase in price so much, that this minority you spoke about earlier couldn't afford to buy those items. There is just no possible way there are going to be as many of those items in the Auction House as there were before this change. This would completly destroy the economy of the game, which already isn't really that good, with all those bots.
    Also, why do you "fix" this small "bug" when there are other major bugs which need fixing since a few months. The bug (this time a real one) in prophecy of madnes should be common for every player which once played both faces, the timer doesn't reset if you finish the first phase too early which results in a lack of time for the second phase, and most of the time it immediatly skips to the last phase, and there is no way in obtaining gold rank. Also a lot of GWFs complain about the so called Unstoppable-bug, which can be described as their unstopable-metre being full, but they cannot activate it.
    So please if you want to change someting change the real bugs, there are, sadly, still plenty of them and if you want to change the key "bug" don't lie to our face and tell the truth: "You want people to buy more Zen so you just change the chest rewards

Sincerly your friendly neightbourhood Guardian Fighter(I know I stole this from Spiderman) Schisel
    resolve the bugs and people come back to play this game and puffff...u have your money again, but this is so smart for you maybe
  • crizpynutzcrizpynutz Member Posts: 349 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    This is HAMSTER. So I farm for a HAMSTER hour to gather the mats needed to create one damn key and it takes an entire damn day to create it - one at a time mind you - so I can run a HAMSTER dungeon tomorrow and get whatever awful, useless loot resides inside. I have to do this for roughly 12+ different types of god damn keys, each day, one at a time? Farm mats, create key, wait a day, run dungeon once, get nothing worth while from chest, repeat. IF I don't, I'm not likely to get the one-in-a-million good reward that does occassionaly pop. The other way? Pay money to buy one from the zen store. Riiiigghhhhtttt. I see what you did there Cryptic. Not thanks. Think I might go try a different game going forward. GG to you.

You are flat out lying to us. THAT is worse than the situation we will find ourselves in with the game.
  • lowenduslowendus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 322 Arc User
    savvo90 said:

resolve the bugs and people come back to play this game and puffff...u have your money again, but this is so smart for you maybe

It's gonna be a Mod 6 backlash/loss of player base for if not much worse
  • izworizwor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 238 Arc User
    Did anyone from the Dev team actually confirmed it's really comming to live server?
    It looks like a bad joke. I hope...
  • asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    To make a money grabbing move like that is bold, but to sell it as a 'bug fix' is insulting the intelligence of your player base.

We implemented legendary rings with a drop chance of 1:1000 and a 90% chance, to get the 'wrong' ring. We are shocked and insulted, that 'a minority' of our players cheated their way to these rings, by running thousands of EDEMO runs, skirmishes and CNs without spending thousands of dollars for dragon keys. This exploit wasted your time and screwed up our revenue. You are still allowed to waste your time with a ridiculous RNG, but now you can at last spent real money for worthless HAMSTER as an added bonus to wasted time, cheers.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • d66723225d66723225 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    I get that sometimes a change has to be made that won't make the player base happy. However acting like this was a bug is a disgrace. This shows that cryptic has no respect for us, it's customers. They take us for fools.

I hope that several measures will be taken to make the usage of those specials chest worth it with this change as several other people have pointed out. Otherwise this will be one of the worst thought out moves cryptic has ever done.

That being said the lack of honesty is the worst of it.
  • uzalauzala Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    They drop a bomb like this and nothing more. A change like this requires pretty much a total restructure of the lootsystem and they throw this out just like that 2 weeks before its being released? Or do they really think that 250z for keys is all the restructuring they need?
    This news MUST be followed with more information regarding implementation of further changes that will be required in order to make people actually play the game. Extremely poor PR was executed today.
  • urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    xeltey said:

We are pleased to address this bug because it resolves an inequity between the minority of players who knew about it and the majority who did not, and because the Neverwinter design team will be better able to design rewards for chests going forward now that the bug has been fixed.

I think you're going to need a lengthy blog post to elaborate upon how you're improving chest rewards to mitigate the effects of this change. Posting this without any information on that was a terrible idea.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • cerberusxllcerberusxll Member Posts: 387 Arc User
    xeltey said:

There is a feature in the Neverwinter game whereby players can open a bonus chest at the end of certain dungeons through use of special items named:

• Legendary Dragon Key
    • Daily Dungeon Chest Key
    • Epic Dungeon Chest Key
    • Standard Dungeon Chest Key
    • Mystic Dragon Key
    • Arcane Dragon Key
    • Dragon Queen’s Key
    • Lesser Demonic Key
    • Greater Demonic Key
    • Malabog’s Castle Key
    • Valindra’s Tower Key
    • Kessell’s Retreat Key
    • Ancient Runic Key
    • Dark Fey Key
    • Thayan Chest Key
    • Thayan Lair Key
    Keys are currently acquired by purchasing them from the Zen Market, completing certain campaign tasks, or obtaining them from certain non-player characters. Each key can be used to open and claim the rewards from one chest.

In the Sea of Moving Ice update releasing on the live server on November 8th, there will be a change happening to how these keys work.

There is currently a bug on the live server whereby a player may view the rewards without using a key. This bug has been fixed. When this fix gets to the live server, opening a chest will consume the key, give the player the rewards, and display those rewards to the player. To ensure that keys are not accidentally used, the user interface in game will alert you to which key would be consumed and ask for confirmation before continuing.

Since this bug has been live for a long time and we believe that some players may have come to rely on this bug, we are providing advance notice of the change.

As part of this change we are also lowering the cost of the Zen store item “Legendary Dragon Key 5-Pack” from 300 Zen to 250 Zen.

- The Neverwinter Team
    you know, if you at least just came here and said "look, we're not going to lie, we are changing the system to make it harder for you to get decent loot from the chests that you can process into AD" I wouldn't be so much irked by it, at least be brazenly honest when you're HAMSTER us all over a barrel!

but no, you HAD to masquerade behind a flagrant lie. as others have said, you cannot give players an option to view what's inside the chest and have to option to decline, THEN call it a bug.

that's just HAMSTER HAMSTER of the highest order.

this lie ranks right up there with the worst of all the lies you have told us over the years, if not right at the top of the list.
    Cerberus | Scylla | Orion | Makelo | Nemesis | Ares | Artemis | Asclepius | Nyx | Hades | Dexithea | Dolos | Demonax | Athena | Enyo | Medusa | Talos | Alcyone
  • asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    Looking at the @ of the players posting here and venting their rage, they can look forward to a lot of free time for their CMs. If all this ppl leave or stop bothering, there will be one forum post a week.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • stpensivestpensive Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    In the OPs post, he used the word 'bug' 6 times. This is a tactic to attempt to reinforce the (false) notion that it was indeed a bug. This is not new:

“If you tell a big enough lie, and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.”

― Adolf Hitler

I suppose what annoys me the most is that they expect that explanation to fly; that we are somehow collectively HAMSTER and would buy it. In contrast, let's, for the sake of argument, assume it was a bug (it was not). Is the ineptitude there so great that it took 10 MODs to fix.... Or... Do you never play your own game and were completely unaware that it was there until now?

In any case, the explanation is tripe and, again, floors me how little you think of the intelligence of your player-base.

And to be completely frank, no one should ever have been able to see whats in a chest prior to opening it; it's silly. However, instead of seeing it for what it was, a challenge to come up with a better solution (lock pick ability anyone?), you just call it a bug.
  • boor18boor18 Member Posts: 3 Arc User

• toflux78#6783 toflux78 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    After the sh*t of tonight on PS4 you have to apologies and remove the "buy for zen" posts because seriously I hope that no idiot give u money for a while from PS4.
  • fjdkslsfjdksls Member Posts: 36 Arc User

Here is a user that will leave the game after implementing this HAMSTER.

Aside from saying goodbye to guildies and making sure I can meet up with them at other games, I'm struggling to come up with why I wouldn't stop playing today.

I'll let my VIP die on the vine, frankly.

• katamaster81899katamaster81899 Member Posts: 1,157 Arc User
    Wow.... you think they'd learn.

Gotta say, reading all the HAMSTERS in place of redacted words was good for a giggle.

Seriously though, how many times have they "hamstered" with the core mechanics of the game and accidently decimated their player base? It's gotta be at least 2-3.

Meh, I'm a casual player more than anything, this game has lost my interest, I have not been impressed with much of the recent content. None of it lives up to the first couple of modules and the initial release.​​
    dulopa4e1d9.png
    || Axios Guild Leader || Neverwinter Trade Forum Moderator || Infernal Paragons ||
    Check out my foundry, titled "Akro's Gone Wacko", featuring our ex-CM Akromatik!: NW-DL8J7BY5T
    Erza Moonstalker | Lara Moonstalker | Julie Marvell | Erza Moonhunter | Annie Hellangel | Jenn Moonstalker
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2016
    Hey now, please don't take it out on Xelty!

He's a really great guy and had absolutely nothing to do with this change! He's the Andy equivalent for the International (non english) Community. He's not a developer and definitely didn't suggest this or do anything but get told by whoever did decide to make this change that an announcement had to be made. :(

I don't know which Cryptic Devs came up with this concept but let's not kill the poor messenger. Afterall you will need him and Andy to help voice the player's concerns over this change to the developers at Cryptic. ;)
  • mimerifle#1948 mimerifle Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I can't believe it took me so HAMSTER long to figure out how the word hamster kept showing up in these posts.

I haven't kept track of the ratio of positive to negative comments on the announcement, but it's in the neighborhood of 0 to All of Them. I'd call that an overwhelming majority of responding players.
This discussion has been closed.