test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Developer Blog: Sailing & Fishing

Comments

• asterdahlasterdahl Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,258 Cryptic Developer
    metalldjt said:

@asterdahl whats the ring of winter?
    what loot can be obtained from the new skirmish (if thats how it's called) ?

The Ring of Winter is a powerful artifact that has fallen into the hands of the frost giant's leader, Jarl Storvald. It's the artifact he used to freeze Bryn Shander and is currently planning to use to bring an endless winter to the Sword Coast. Your journey to the Sea of Moving Ice is entirely to see it ripped from his grasp and returned to its rightful owner.

The Assault on Svardborg will be a 10-man epic trial like Demogorgon. We'll be releasing more details soon. As mentioned in my previous post though, because it is already in the patch notes, you will be able to obtain Ostorian Tale Carvings which will be required to upgrade your relic armor.

As for the fight itself, those of you who have fought Drufi, she was Storvald's right hand warrior, so you'll see some returning abilities, along with a slew of powerful new skills. This is a fight that will require a lot of movement, and if you want to beat the master version, you'll also need some substantial coordination. The art team has also given it their all so be ready for a grand spectacle.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    So the fish basically function like the dragon hoard for Tiamat. The more fish everyone donates the better the rewards for the epic encounter?
  • asterdahlasterdahl Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,258 Cryptic Developer
    edited October 2016

So the fish basically function like the dragon hoard for Tiamat. The more fish everyone donates the better the rewards for the epic encounter?

While the story at play is similar, working together with some NPC factions to take down Jarl Storvald, the mechanics of the rewards are different. Your own personal donation will affect your reward, and it will not decay over time. In the campaign window you'll be able to see how many bonus rewards you've earned. Next time you run either trial, that faction will present you with a chest of their findings during the joint assault on Svardborg. You'll be able to store a handful of bonus rewards in the campaign window. Think of them like keys except they take no inventory space.

As there are 3 factions it will be possible to receive 3 bonus chests at the end. It's essentially set up as a way to work towards receiving better rewards during the trial when your friends or guildmates are not on to run it, or when you're just wanting to get in some solo play. The rewards will mostly be similar to the standard rewards at the end of the trial, with only a small number of unique rewards. If you don't favor fishing, you can primarily stick to helping other factions.
    Post edited by asterdahl on
  • lordseth1985lordseth1985 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 319 Arc User
    @asterdahl How exactly this "vivified" relic gear will work? we still ned to empower them with voninblod?
    Avestruz.Q.T.Seduz - Rogue, natural born assassin.
    asterdahl said:

While the story at play is similar, working together with some NPC factions to take down Jarl Storvald, the mechanics of the rewards are different. Your own personal donation will affect your reward, and it will not decay over time. In the campaign window you'll be able to see how many bonus rewards you've earned. Next time you run either trial, that faction will present you with a chest of their findings during the joint assault on Svardborg. You'll be able to store a handful of bonus rewards in the campaign window. Think of them like keys except they take no inventory space.

As there are 3 factions it will be possible to receive 3 bonus chests at the end. It's essentially set up as a way to work towards receiving better rewards during the trial when your friends or guildmates are not on to run it, or when you're just wanting to get in some solo play. The rewards will mostly be similar to the standard rewards at the end of the trial, with only a small number of unique rewards. If you don't favor fishing, you can stick to the other factions and buy those items received through the fishing faction's chest, for instance.
    Thats rather interesting. Inventory free keys, I like it! Thank you.
  • genjundeadgenjundead Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not...

But, with this upcoming extra and the fishing quest in Lonelywood, why are we given another fishing pole when a character can have one from the Winter Event?

There were some technical and design limitations that made it impossible for us to use the same fishing rod for the new sport fishing minigame. We're looking into ways to alleviate the permanent inventory -1 "permanent" tools like these create though. I can't give a timeline but we're looking into it.

There has to be a fishnet bag. There is no way we can carry all of those fish.

Fish will take up normal inventory spaces, however, there is an important detail in regards to the number of fish and their tax on your inventory. At a given fishing spot you will only find about 5 types of fish, give or take, less if you are not using high-quality bait. There are only a limited number of active spots at a time. There is also no reason to hold onto any of the fish you fish up and they can quickly and easily be turned in on the main island for reputation. So depending on your bag space, you may have to return to the central island to turn in fish every so often, but it won't be a few minutes of fishing and suddenly your bag has 60 species of fish in it.

For the most part, the large number of species are there to give those who are really enthusiastic about the mini-game a goal to seek after. Discovering where all of the fish live and seeking out the more difficult fish could prove to be quite a challenge!
    metalldjt said:

@strumsligner, i am a bit confused... what can you do with the items that you recive from fishing? you use them for professions/trade at a vendor/ craft them ?

More details will become available as more and more of the module is released on preview, but I can give a quick rundown. For the most part, fish are used to support the Elk Tribe faction, one of the three factions you'll be working alongside to take down Storvald and reclaim the ring of winter. With enough support, you'll be able to earn a bonus chest at the end of the Assault on Svardborg or Assault on Svardborg (Master), epic trial.

A handful of rare fish can also be gutted for materials required to restore relic weapons. When you examine these fish they'll indicate on their tooltip that this is possible. You can use these materials yourself or sell them to others. Treasure maps can also be fished up. In addition to earning a faster boat or a better rod through maps, you'll also be able to earn rewards that are generally useful for your character, as well as additional restoration materials that can be sold.

In the end, sport fishing is first and foremost a fun new minigame we'd like for all of you to enjoy. Something to do while you wait for your guild to get online for dragonflight, or to wind down after a night of raiding Svardborg. The team put a lot of effort into making a fun minigame, but in the end if fishing isn't your cup of tea, you won't be obligated to participate. There are a few quests that require a small amount of fishing, but if you're not into it, you can always pay someone else who enjoys fishing or find a friend who enjoys it and trade restoration materials you obtained elsewhere.

@strumslinger is it to late to rework the relic gear set bonus? cause right now finding groups for FBI is hard cause the reward is not worth the time. gear is a problem but so is the rng. cant wait to try out the new content. if fishing takes us bad space i will be discarding any fish i get most likely, cant afford to waste my bag space.

what are you guys (player base) thoughts on relic gear? what in your opinion do you think it can be improved. lastly what in your opinion do you think FBI can be improved and worth grinding?

We've been looking into it.
    thank you for the response, it sets my mind at ease. ill wait patiently now for future updates or announcements.
    While we won't be changing the set bonus for relic armor, it will be possible through Assault on Svardborg (Master) to further upgrade relic armor. Compared to obtaining the original piece, upgrading will be much simpler and more straightforward, it will also preserve all transmutes and armor kits. It will require successful completion of Assault on Svardborg (Master) though. If you can take down Storvald though, the required material is guaranteed.

Here's the excerpt from the rolling patchnotes Terramak has been maintaining on our preview forum:
    terramak said:

In addition, adventurers in possession of relic armor may now see the armor restored to its full glory. Completely restored relic armor, or "vivified" relic armor, will increase by 10 item levels at each empowerment rank.

• The first time Svardborg (Master) is cleared in a week you will receive an Ostorian Tale Carving.
    • Ostorian Tale Carvings may be exchanged for testimonies at the newly arrived Historian in Bryn Shander.
    • With the proper testimony in hand, selecting "restore" in the context menu on a piece of relic armor will allow that piece to be converted into "vivified relic armor."
    • All transmutes, dyes, enchants, and armor kits on the original relic armor piece will persist during the upgrade process.
    • The item level will increase by 10 at every empowerment rank. Fully empowered "vivified relic armor" is item level 160 while standard relic armor is item level 150 when fully empowered.

got any tips for getting a group going for FBI?

its nice to know i that getting the armor vivified makes it stronger. why didn't you just call it empowered or elemental?
    will the stats actually be worth all the effort? since the set bonus is not great what about the stats? an you give a rough % increase?
    first we have to farm fbi (hard to do and find group) and after we grind out a relic armor, we have to restore it. then we have to do an epic trial 10 man to get it vivified. sounds like way to much work to me, but i'll wait for preview or it to come out in game to give my honest opinion on it any further.
  • bitt3rnightmar3bitt3rnightmar3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 788 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

metalldjt said:

The Ring of Winter is a powerful artifact that has fallen into the hands of the frost giant's leader, Jarl Storvald. It's the artifact he used to freeze Bryn Shander and is currently planning to use to bring an endless winter to the Sword Coast. Your journey to the Sea of Moving Ice is entirely to see it ripped from his grasp and returned to its rightful owner.

The Assault on Svardborg will be a 10-man epic trial like Demogorgon. We'll be releasing more details soon. As mentioned in my previous post though, because it is already in the patch notes, you will be able to obtain Ostorian Tale Carvings which will be required to upgrade your relic armor.

As for the fight itself, those of you who have fought Drufi, she was Storvald's right hand warrior, so you'll see some returning abilities, along with a slew of powerful new skills. This is a fight that will require a lot of movement, and if you want to beat the master version, you'll also need some substantial coordination. The art team has also given it their all so be ready for a grand spectacle.
    I still don't see the point in doing this. The gear needs to be upgraded constantly and there is no place in the game that it is needed other than this one raid. All of the other content is able to be done while not using this gear including FBI. If the weapons need voninblood too I'm not interested as I'm already being bled dry.

Item level doesn't mean anything to me.

Next.

Please bring more epic dungeons in this game that don't require me to bleed to death. I'm really getting bored of running 3 dungeons. Why does this game hate dungeons now? It's the first word of the description. Not Heroic encounters, Not fishing.

We all know that eventually this gear will be obsolete. This gating is not fun.
    Relmyna - AC/DC Righteous + Haste| Nadine - CW MoF (working on it)|Buffy - GF SM Tact| Hrist - Justice Tankadin|Healadin (Wannabe Tank)| Lena -MI Sabo TR (Farmer) | Jeska - GWF SM Destroyer (Farmer) | Maggie - HR PF Trapper (Wannabe DPS)
    --
    I'll never retrace my steps.

Some of my best friends are Imaginary.

• weaver936weaver936 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 443 Arc User

asterdahl said:

metalldjt said:

I still don't see the point in doing this. The gear needs to be upgraded constantly and there is no place in the game that it is needed other than this one raid. All of the other content is able to be done while not using this gear including FBI. If the weapons need voninblood too I'm not interested as I'm already being bled dry.

Item level doesn't mean anything to me.

Next.

Please bring more epic dungeons in this game that don't require me to bleed to death. I'm really getting bored of running 3 dungeons. Why does this game hate dungeons now? It's the first word of the description. Not Heroic encounters, Not fishing.

We all know that eventually this gear will be obsolete. This gating is not fun.
    They are finally adding some content to the game for people that have more attention span and intellect than a Gnat. I'm glad for this!!!! :D
    “Improvise, Adapt and Overcome!”

― Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge

Guild Leader of Ardent Justice HQ: Always recruiting People not Pixels.

FOUNDER and OWNER of the SKT3K Channel: SKT Only Content 3k+. http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1228278/skt-content-for-the-non-elite-video-links-provided
  • cromejohnsencromejohnsen Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 207 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

As there are 3 factions it will be possible to receive 3 bonus chests at the end. It's essentially set up as a way to work towards receiving better rewards during the trial when your friends or guildmates are not on to run it, or when you're just wanting to get in some solo play. The rewards will mostly be similar to the standard rewards at the end of the trial, with only a small number of unique rewards. If you don't favor fishing, you can primarily stick to helping other factions.
    So extra rewards as in 1 more peridot`?

@strumslinger @asterdahl
    would it be possible to have the old invoke system combined with the new one?
    so that invokes give ad and a rough ad bonus, but the bonus doesn't work on ad earned from invokes. cause right now my alts are not earning me any ad and my main doesn't have the time to just grind out rings now worth 2.2k rough ad, and i don't want to play alts i have.

another question would be, are you guys trying to make alt armies useless? was your goal to make it so people play alts they never intended to play ever? and now they delete or ignore that rough ad as i am not ignoring it?
    alt armies are a huge investment and something not every player can do and it takes a long time to get one unless you put in money. before you took ad away from invokes you did a sale for 80% of character slots, did you do that to milk out some extra money or burn any zen people had to ruin the economy? not sure, the game is good and i do love it, but their are still some flaws left to fix, waiting to see what future fixed you do.

i want to make my main better and my alts were their earning small ad everyday to help on that. without ad coming from alts now just my main has to work for the entire bundle of items my main needs. well it will now take longer to get to 4k but that's ok i guess right, more grind right? i don't mind grind in a game, it is needed in every game. but now it feels like their is only grind left. the upcoming fishing will make a nice change of pace, but i wont have time to have the fun of it cause now i need to spend more time on my main earning more ad. well this is just my problem i guess. others are playing their alts in weak dungeons and skirmishes to burn their rough ad. but i only ever play my main as i want to make my main better.

well ill keep playing and having fun the best i can with what is in game right now, gl on your future plans and patches and fixes.
    if their are any other closed beta players like myself what is your honest opinion of the game?
  • zeatrexzeatrex Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited October 2016

Jixem: Your social one stop spot.
    STAR TREK ONLINE CHARACTERS
    DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: NEVERWINTER CHARACTERS
    "Sell, buy, communicate and share all on one site... A fully free service!
    - Jixem: My social website, check it out! -
  • santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    Oh boy, World of Fantastical Fishing. That's why I'm running this game!!
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User

@strumslinger @asterdahl
    so that invokes give ad and a rough ad bonus, but the bonus doesn't work on ad earned from invokes. cause right now my alts are not earning me any ad and my main doesn't have the time to just grind out rings now worth 2.2k rough ad, and i don't want to play alts i have.

another question would be, are you guys trying to make alt armies useless? was your goal to make it so people play alts they never intended to play ever? and now they delete or ignore that rough ad as i am not ignoring it?
    alt armies are a huge investment and something not every player can do and it takes a long time to get one unless you put in money. before you took ad away from invokes you did a sale for 80% of character slots, did you do that to milk out some extra money or burn any zen people had to ruin the economy? not sure, the game is good and i do love it, but their are still some flaws left to fix, waiting to see what future fixed you do.

i want to make my main better and my alts were their earning small ad everyday to help on that. without ad coming from alts now just my main has to work for the entire bundle of items my main needs. well it will now take longer to get to 4k but that's ok i guess right, more grind right? i don't mind grind in a game, it is needed in every game. but now it feels like their is only grind left. the upcoming fishing will make a nice change of pace, but i wont have time to have the fun of it cause now i need to spend more time on my main earning more ad. well this is just my problem i guess. others are playing their alts in weak dungeons and skirmishes to burn their rough ad. but i only ever play my main as i want to make my main better.

well ill keep playing and having fun the best i can with what is in game right now, gl on your future plans and patches and fixes.
    if their are any other closed beta players like myself what is your honest opinion of the game?

stop with this already, no old invoke lazy system is not coming back thanks to selune and odin (yes im tired of main stream deities)
    rayrdan said:

@strumslinger @asterdahl

stop with this already, no old invoke lazy system is not coming back thanks to selune and odin (yes im tired of main stream deities)
    the only time invokes was somewhat lazy was when it was jsut one invoke a day, but you have to invoke everyday or lose your celestial coins, so in by definition their was no lazy invoke system. all required a great deal of effort and work, all the deities are all still here, its a great part of roleplay.
    You dont lose any coins. There was a time you used to, but they patched that out long ago.

Invoke AD is a dead topic. Its not coming back, sacrificed like the gateway due to abuse. So while I dislike that they are gone. Its time to move on and find other solutions.

Adjusting the queues to allow solo dungeons or skirmishes would be a start.
  • mistsenseimistsensei Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Hello, I would like to know if fishing will be mandatory in order to acquire/upgrade/use any gear be it artifacts or armor added in this new expansion or if there will be another way to acquire the things needed to accomplish that (the reason is of course because I realy don't like mini-game to the extent that I can say I hate it :) and maybe there are other people who are like me and would like to know some info regarding this).
    I really hope someone has any legit information to provide, thanks.
  • qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User

Hello, I would like to know if fishing will be mandatory in order to acquire/upgrade/use any gear be it artifacts or armor added in this new expansion or if there will be another way to acquire the things needed to accomplish that (the reason is of course because I realy don't like mini-game to the extent that I can say I hate it :) and maybe there are other people who are like me and would like to know some info regarding this).
    I really hope someone has any legit information to provide, thanks.

I think the idea is that the people who do like this new fishing variation will sell their surplus materials to those who don't through the AH. Plus, there will no doubt be some new packs available from the Zen Store and possibly some useful RNG based drops from the new Lockbox.

• shadowskysunshadowskysun Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    please give those boats an inventory for the new rods and the fishing bait.
    thank you.

btw. i hope we will have a few "we need a bigger boat!" moments during our fishing sessions...
    edited October 2016
    @strumslinger, why do you make gear that is only useful for one dungeon or just one zone? thought i ask a basic question. i am talking about set bonuses of course, and i am comparing them to good set bonuses like corrupt/pure black ice, or the gear getting a nerf. this is just out of curiosity of course, just to fill a void of lack of knowledge.
    drowcraft => epic demogorgon
    relic => ... maybe the new trial coming out (was considering FBI but you just use the everfrost just to get in then change gear)

stronghold gear is good anywhere i think, i don't use it though, so cant give a personal opinion.

the new weapons coming next patch, relic weapons.
    why didn't you have dodge give the defense and the daily power give offense? that would make more sense if it worked that way.
    Post edited by genjundead on
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    yeah, like "saddlebags" for mounts. hopefully those new boat mounts that have bags only for fishes.
  • dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    @asterdahl
    @strumslinger

The very mention of "fishing" made many of us recoil in disgust.

The shoreline fishing (and the initial response to our forum concerns) left a bad (boot-flavored) aftertaste.

But your openness to discussion and explanations are encouraging.

Seems like an interesting package of minigame, loot opportunities and cooperative play.

I will be open minded and give it a try.
    Thanks for listening.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
    You have died of dysentery.
  • martelis1981martelis1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 121 Arc User

Really???? More fishing HAMSTER???? This is DUNGEONS & DRAGONS not effing Oregon Trail!!!! Give us back our old dungeons!!! Give us new dungeons; not additional garbage to waste our inventory space!!!! Fishing, in general, is not something I would expect in any RPG let alone D&D!!!! This new mod is unimpressive and unwanted at best and utter bullcrap at worst. Go back to REAL D&D!!! If I wanted to play a fishing game I would pull out my old 486 and play Oregon Trail or Odell Down Under!!! This is NONSENSE!!!

AGREE with you. This HAMSTER game should be renamed to FISH & DRAGONS :s or Grinding until death & Dragons or Fish :smiley:
  • josephskyrimjosephskyrim Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Given Cryptics methods of "fixing" things or combating "the bots", I am certain they will slowly erase more and more of the game until the only thing left to do is fishing. Then we can get mods like:

-Fury of the Fisherfey, where players must out fish Malabog's Trolls in an effort to starve them
    -Fishmangler, where players lure the sharklich "Fishmangler" back to where it came
    -Curse of Surströmming Lake, where heroic fishing encounters become a thing - as well as pvp faction fishing
    -Tyranny of Tadpoles, where players must save the cleric Linu from a tide of tadpoles. She gives 1 linu's favor for every 150 you catch.
    -Rise of Turtlemat, a giant turtle who is eating all the fish must be vanquished - via fishing! Players can donate fish to Turtlemats hoard to gain better rewards should they be successful in the 25 man fishing trial
    -Flycasting Chaos, a new form of fishing which focuses on shallow rivers to catch foulspawn fishes that are defiling the waters with their infected eggs (which can be processed via production tasks into caviar)
    -Galleons, guild based fishing which requires ludicrous amounts of currency to upgrade your ship and fishing capabilities (soon followed by Armadas, which lets many Galleons band together)
    -Underocean, a mighty aboleth is leading swarms of piranhas from the deep depths to shore! Players must fish for the safety of the land! Well, at least for those who are dumb enough to go swimming. Which is exactly zero. There is no swimming in this game.
    -The Whaler Engine, where players must out fish a foreign and mysterious iron vessel, powered by steam!
    -King of the Storm, a high end zone which leads players into iceberg riddled waters with weather effects like storms, tide, and boulders being thrown by the nearby ice giant clan atop said icebergs who happen to have the Ring of Winter.

Wait a minute... :tongue:
    If you can't stand on a chest, it is a mimic!
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    dont forget, Ring around the collar +10
  • growcheegrowchee Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2 Arc User
    I seem to be missing where it says how to get the kayak or pole, or to start the actual fishing stuff...or has that ot been added yet.. I liked the fishing in WoW, kind of miss that. Agree that FBI is screwed tho, to time consuming, and all in all to much hassle.
  • oninginryuoninginryu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    qexotic said:

I think the idea is that the people who do like this new fishing variation will sell their surplus materials to those who don't through the AH.

In other words, an incredible tool for botters; whoelse will grind it forever? Not me...

Also, can you scent this smell of brand new itens on zen store? What about an epic rod for 1000 zen? And please, take epic bait too.

Guys, it's coming out of control...