test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Developer Blog: Sailing & Fishing

strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
As you progress through the zone, you’ll gain access to your very own khyek, a personal maneuverable boat that allows you to venture across the open sea. There are several tiers of khyeks you can find in the zone that improve in speed and appearance with each tier. These vessels cannot be summoned beyond the Sea of Moving Ice.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/10194343-developer-blog:-sailing-&-fishing

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

Comments

• rifter1969rifter1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 516 Arc User
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not...

But, with this upcoming extra and the fishing quest in Lonelywood, why are we given another fishing pole when a character can have one from the Winter Event?

I know, there are some toons out there that may not have done the even, but there are also a lot that did and we have purple quality poles. So why can't we use them for here?
  • dtzdtz Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Players can expect to be able to dig up refinement gems, relic weapon restoration materials, stashes of fish and krill bait, and, if you’re lucky, the highest tier fishing rod or khyek.
    The idea of using a fishing pole to fish up another fishing pole is amusing, I admit, but not nearly so much as fishing up an entire boat.
    Rank 8 Foundry Grand Master

Check out my Foundry questline, The Brightstone Explorers' Guild, now archived on Youtube!
  • lordseth1985lordseth1985 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 319 Arc User
    I must say, I'm not interested on this new "mod" at all... Seems like Tiamat all over again. Even the gear looking great, IMO it's not worth all the grind for the restoration materials, rps for lvling gear and even the currency needed to get the last two boons.
    Avestruz.Q.T.Seduz - Rogue, natural born assassin.
  • torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User
    WE HEARD YOU LIKED DROWNED SHORE AND POKAMANZ
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
    Thanks for all the fish.
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Title of game is Dungeons & Dragons.

No, we get fishing instead... And people wonder why the player base keeps getting thinner.

The old dungeons... We're STILL waiting for em.......
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    gah!!! more fishes, no room left in our bags
  • lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User
    Two major questions, yeah.

#1: Will all these fish take up bag space?

#2: Will all these rewards be character bound, account bound, or unbound?

Because if you can fish up purple Kayaks to sell on the AH, that's actually pretty cool and makes the fastest boats and the refining gear into something that people who don't like the fishing minigame can just buy, and people who like the fishing minigame can make a profit on.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    My inventory is already weeping.
  • looomislooomis Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 253 Arc User
    Catch them all, really? This was months ago...
  • thunderlore2thunderlore2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 29 Arc User
    This sounds fascinating @strumslinger , it looks like feedback from fishing was built upon and has now be improved. Whats to see is that is it rewarding enough?is it hogging more bag space than necessary as the fishing quests in winter fest did?or is a new inventory being introduced for the currencies! the blog mentioned 'feeding to troops and refugees' for reputation. It would be wonderful if thats done freely of any quest requirement so whoever fancies this more can enjoy while those who would prefer other activities dont get dragged in.

Love the bottle treasure map, really looking forward to how the mechanics work. What about the rewards for the maps though are they really worth all the effort? Hopefully yes and it can bring new life in the frozen tundra of the sea of moving ice.
  • theflowerbottheflowerbot Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    lol 'enough rods' .. I sense more inventory stress on the seas ahead ..
    Before you jump to judge me, know this - I was called flowerbot long before I started playing Neverwinter.
  • genjundeadgenjundead Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    @strumslinger is it to late to rework the relic gear set bonus? cause right now finding groups for FBI is hard cause the reward is not worth the time. gear is a problem but so is the rng. cant wait to try out the new content. if fishing takes us bad space i will be discarding any fish i get most likely, cant afford to waste my bag space.

what are you guys (player base) thoughts on relic gear? what in your opinion do you think it can be improved. lastly what in your opinion do you think FBI can be improved and worth grinding?
  • strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer

@strumslinger is it to late to rework the relic gear set bonus? cause right now finding groups for FBI is hard cause the reward is not worth the time. gear is a problem but so is the rng. cant wait to try out the new content. if fishing takes us bad space i will be discarding any fish i get most likely, cant afford to waste my bag space.

what are you guys (player base) thoughts on relic gear? what in your opinion do you think it can be improved. lastly what in your opinion do you think FBI can be improved and worth grinding?

We've been looking into it.

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
    Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
    Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

• weaver936weaver936 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 443 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    (Sorry, your fishing poles from Lonelywood and the Winter Festival won’t cut it out here)

This is embarrassing. Complain about not enough Dev Man Hours... and then waste huge amount of time finding ways to waste NW Gamer's time.
    “Improvise, Adapt and Overcome!”

― Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge

Guild Leader of Ardent Justice HQ: Always recruiting People not Pixels.

FOUNDER and OWNER of the SKT3K Channel: SKT Only Content 3k+. http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1228278/skt-content-for-the-non-elite-video-links-provided

thank you for the response, it sets my mind at ease. ill wait patiently now for future updates or announcements.
  • arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User

But, with this upcoming extra and the fishing quest in Lonelywood, why are we given another fishing pole when a character can have one from the Winter Event?

I know, there are some toons out there that may not have done the even, but there are also a lot that did and we have purple quality poles. So why can't we use them for here?

yes like making it a universal pole for all fishing, it will also save some inventory bag space.
  • bettarghbettargh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    pathetic...thank you but NO thank you!
    Azral Ironforge@ Guardian FIghter Level 70
    Norbir Hammerblow@Oathbound Paladin Level 70
    arcanjo86 said:

yes like making it a universal pole for all fishing, it will also save some inventory bag space.
    the fishing rod you get from lonelywoods quests is turned in on completion, you don't get to keep that rod. your not wasting anymore inventory then you already are with quest items. the fishing rod in the new content might not waste inventory slots as you can only use it on the boat.
  • aaramis75aaramis75 Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    ghoulz66 said:

Title of game is Dungeons & Dragons.

No, we get fishing instead... And people wonder why the player base keeps getting thinner.

The old dungeons... We're STILL waiting for em.......

^^ This.

I don't give a monkey's about sailing. Or fishing. Or having to buy more bags because I'm already at full capacity because there's 113905713509137501357 versions of every item in game, between BtC, BtA, etc, etc. and I won't have room for a billion fishing items.

I *do* care about dungeons. It's why I play this game.
    Currently there's not nearly enough to keep me interested, and I've already gone from VIP to F2P swearing not to put another cent into this game until the devs do something worthwhile.
    Now I'm starting to lack even the desire to log in anymore, with the focus going on this sort of drivel.
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    Q. 1 why cant we use our old fishing poles in new zone?
    A. 1 you cant use these poles for deep water sea fishing.

Q. 2 will we have more bag space just for these fishing thingies?
    A. 2 you will find a new inventory slot like professions just for fishing.

Q. 3 can we find stronghold vouchers while fishing?
    A. 3 that is quite possible go fish and see!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • sm0key04sm0key04 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 11 Arc User
    OMG not more of that pointless, boring, waste of my time fishing. I refuse to do it in Lonelywood and if I have to do it here....I will mot be going. Stupidest thing a DUNGEONS & DRAGONS game ever came up with. How about more DUNGEONS & DRAGONS and less pocket fisherman!!!!!!
  • dadanddragons#6895 dadanddragons Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Reasons I like this update:

1. Adds more 'life' to the world. D&D is not ONLY about D and bloody D (as many here claim). It's about adventuring in a whole world, and the more world-building you do for the game, the rounder and closer an experience to 'proper' D&D we, the players, get. So 'Sailing and Fishing' = top marks! (speaking of which, Day/Night cycle pleeeeeease?)

Reasons I dislike this update:

1. My inventory is already crying. Seriously, we need a new standard system for expanding existing bags or gaining new ones, without having to dive into the Zen shop or grind AAA+ bosses for a dozen more slots. Inventory space and management should be (imho) about 75% standard, basic, part-of-the-system Q.O.L. and 25% 'game for it/but it outright'. I think having fish as a 'currency' in the separate currencies tab would diminish their presence in our avatars' lives, but at the same time, I can't reasonably foresee how we can accommodate them as it is.

Great stuff guys, keep it up! :)
  • weaver936weaver936 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 443 Arc User
    In case you hadn't noticed... inventory space (Personal bank slots, Guild bank Slots, Account bank Slots, Bags) is how Cryptic makes money.. don't bet that they will lessen the amount of space stuff takes in game.. they will likely increase the burden on it,

If you pay attention to what the devs have been doing to the game in the last 6 months of more.. almost EVERYTHING is designed, implemented, or nerfed with the idea of INCREASING the amount of time it takes to do anything and, thereby, increasing the feeling that we NEED to use cash to get Zen (since the Zax is so screwed up) to take advantage of new content and events etc.

The sooner you understand this is what's going on and will continue for the foreseeable future... the sooner you will learn how to overcome these changes.. or just simply move to some other game.

Complaining about it really won't change anything they do.. when it comes to money. And.. increasing the TIME it takes to do things worth while now seems to be considered a CORE method to increasing their income.

New Players won't know any better.. many of us old timers will likely leave... but guess what.. they don't care... we aren't their target market.. it's the younger, prettier, more naive players they are wanting to milk for more cash over the next year.

Instead of asking Cryptic to do something that isn't in their nature to do, how about getting with your guildies and helping one another get ahead of the curve and financially independent of all this HAMSTER... before they nerf every opportunity you have to do that.
    “Improvise, Adapt and Overcome!”

― Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge

Guild Leader of Ardent Justice HQ: Always recruiting People not Pixels.

FOUNDER and OWNER of the SKT3K Channel: SKT Only Content 3k+. http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1228278/skt-content-for-the-non-elite-video-links-provided
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    they are still nerf bullies and also bag bullies, i said that several weeks ago. they seem dont care, even they made those bags as No SELL and NO Discard!
  • cromejohnsencromejohnsen Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 207 Arc User
    Guys these new fishes are not the only new items which will trash your already overloaded bags. Look at the preview server and you will see that they introduced yet again a new series (blue and epic) new refinement stones to upgrade the new artifact weapons quality.
    SRSlY this is getting out of hand. Whoever thought that we dont need bagspace should probably start a new character and try playing the entire NWO content and tell us that he / she does not need more bagspace or is content with how things are right now.
  • asterdahlasterdahl Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,258 Cryptic Developer

There were some technical and design limitations that made it impossible for us to use the same fishing rod for the new sport fishing minigame. We're looking into ways to alleviate the permanent inventory -1 "permanent" tools like these create though. I can't give a timeline but we're looking into it.

There has to be a fishnet bag. There is no way we can carry all of those fish.

Fish will take up normal inventory spaces, however, there is an important detail in regards to the number of fish and their tax on your inventory. At a given fishing spot you will only find about 5 types of fish, give or take, less if you are not using high-quality bait. There are only a limited number of active spots at a time. There is also no reason to hold onto any of the fish you fish up and they can quickly and easily be turned in on the main island for reputation. So depending on your bag space, you may have to return to the central island to turn in fish every so often, but it won't be a few minutes of fishing and suddenly your bag has 60 species of fish in it.

For the most part, the large number of species are there to give those who are really enthusiastic about the mini-game a goal to seek after. Discovering where all of the fish live and seeking out the more difficult fish could prove to be quite a challenge!
    metalldjt said:

@strumsligner, i am a bit confused... what can you do with the items that you recive from fishing? you use them for professions/trade at a vendor/ craft them ?

More details will become available as more and more of the module is released on preview, but I can give a quick rundown. For the most part, fish are used to support the Elk Tribe faction, one of the three factions you'll be working alongside to take down Storvald and reclaim the ring of winter. With enough support, you'll be able to earn a bonus chest at the end of the Assault on Svardborg or Assault on Svardborg (Master), epic trial.

A handful of rare fish can also be gutted for materials required to restore relic weapons. When you examine these fish they'll indicate on their tooltip that this is possible. You can use these materials yourself or sell them to others. Treasure maps can also be fished up. In addition to earning a faster boat or a better rod through maps, you'll also be able to earn rewards that are generally useful for your character, as well as additional restoration materials that can be sold.

In the end, sport fishing is first and foremost a fun new minigame we'd like for all of you to enjoy. Something to do while you wait for your guild to get online for dragonflight, or to wind down after a night of raiding Svardborg. The team put a lot of effort into making a fun minigame, but in the end if fishing isn't your cup of tea, you won't be obligated to participate. There are a few quests that require a small amount of fishing, but if you're not into it, you can always pay someone else who enjoys fishing or find a friend who enjoys it and trade restoration materials you obtained elsewhere.

thank you for the response, it sets my mind at ease. ill wait patiently now for future updates or announcements.
    While we won't be changing the set bonus for relic armor, it will be possible through Assault on Svardborg (Master) to further upgrade relic armor. Compared to obtaining the original piece, upgrading will be much simpler and more straightforward, it will also preserve all transmutes and armor kits. It will require successful completion of Assault on Svardborg (Master) though. If you can take down Storvald though, the required material is guaranteed.

Here's the excerpt from the rolling patchnotes Terramak has been maintaining on our preview forum:
    terramak said:

In addition, adventurers in possession of relic armor may now see the armor restored to its full glory. Completely restored relic armor, or "vivified" relic armor, will increase by 10 item levels at each empowerment rank.

• The first time Svardborg (Master) is cleared in a week you will receive an Ostorian Tale Carving.
    • Ostorian Tale Carvings may be exchanged for testimonies at the newly arrived Historian in Bryn Shander.
    • With the proper testimony in hand, selecting "restore" in the context menu on a piece of relic armor will allow that piece to be converted into "vivified relic armor."
    • All transmutes, dyes, enchants, and armor kits on the original relic armor piece will persist during the upgrade process.
    • The item level will increase by 10 at every empowerment rank. Fully empowered "vivified relic armor" is item level 160 while standard relic armor is item level 150 when fully empowered.