test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Spellstorm Renegade Guide: Death is the Best Crowd Control

Comments

• solbergxsolbergx Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    Man mod 10 items for pve are confusing, please post your recommendations!!
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    yeah, i'd like to know if the optimal armor set for this build has changed in recent months

back when the demogorgon stuff was released, it was 2 pieces of elemental elven and 2 of...something from that module that i can't recall offhand - but that was months back, and since cryptic likes making everything you get in prior modules useless to 'encourage' getting the new stuff, i'm sure there's a better chest/head/feet/hands combination by now​​
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User

and since cryptic likes making everything you get in prior modules useless

Really? Because I logged in to Module 10 and my old armor still has stats. I'm still at 100% critical strike in combat. My power stat still increases my damage, and the set bonuses still work. If something happened that made everything you got in prior modules useless, I'd send a ticket into customer service, because it sounds like your character might be bugged or something...

Weird. But anyway...I won't really have an opinion on this stuff until I start getting the new pieces.

But I'm also weird in that I'm fine going along with the new content, switching to the new armor and taking it all in. I'm already wearing the Frostborn Raid Armlets for the bonus to finding relics. I haven't gotten much farther than that.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • ulthgrimulthgrim Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    Outstanding guide, using this as I level up. What are your thoughts on using the renegade illusionist as a companion?
    ribbs1 said:

That companion likes to aggro everything, making it a chore to get around.

yeah seems that way, I guess it is aptly named then :p
  • solbergxsolbergx Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Hi guys, i was using Icy veins instead of spelltwisting because i had to freeze anything to kill it before it one shotted me, that was when i was fresh level 70, now that i got all boons, except mod 10, how do i know if i am ready to switch to spell twisting?
    I have 8% life steal, 12% after next boon from tyranny of the dragons
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    There's not time like the present!
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • earthlord#1489 earthlord Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    This is just my playstyle for when you first start a CW, since it basically makes it impossible to take damage (not counting bosses). I stick Chill Strike on spell mastery at level 10, keep CoI, Entangling Force, and Repel on keys, and then switch out CoI for Shield, not only because it absorbs some damage, but its a nice AOE and pushes your enemies away. I found that this is a very good set up for soloing, as well as dealing with dungeons, although some people might find it annoying since your constantly toying with the enemies lol. I felt I should mention this setup since it can help you survive on your own at the lower levels.
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    Learning how to dodge is the best survival tip I can give to any new CW. Dodge is your friend.
    niadan said:

Learning how to dodge is the best survival tip I can give to any new CW. Dodge is your friend.

This is really it. Learn the dance. You can't be afraid to get in the middle of things, dancing in and our of red splats, casting as quickly as you can.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • hmdq#4491 hmdq Member Posts: 508 Arc User

niadan said:

This is really it. Learn the dance. You can't be afraid to get in the middle of things, dancing in and our of red splats, casting as quickly as you can.
    And pray for the lag dont kill you rofl
    niadan said:

Pretty much what I had to do last night doing the Ebon Downs dragon for the first time, apparently I was doing enough damage to get his attention and had to dance my way out of the red zones for almost the entire fight.
    ribbs1 said:

I suggest adding to your stamina if you can. Extra stamina is always helpful, but it's especially helpful until you are less squishy. Having a tanky CW is extremely fun to play. But learn to dodge until you get there. Don't forget to Steal Time slide.

I agree 100%. A couple of the Stamina regen boons go a long way towards making sure you almost always have a dodge available.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1

ribbs1 said:

I suggest adding to your stamina if you can. Extra stamina is always helpful, but it's especially helpful until you are less squishy. Having a tanky CW is extremely fun to play. But learn to dodge until you get there. Don't forget to Steal Time slide.

I agree 100%. A couple of the Stamina regen boons go a long way towards making sure you almost always have a dodge available.
    As lovely as that sounds, I am not there yet LOL, only level 59 and currently in the starting stages of ToD campaign.
  • dmpofmtl514#0946 dmpofmtl514 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    this is a great one, thanks its really amazing build guide

dmpofmtl514@getgood.network
  • nathan#8975 nathan Member Posts: 225 Arc User
    @ribbs1 what is this steal time slide magic thing and how do I do it ? =-)
  • @ribbs1 what is this steal time slide magic thing and how do I do it ? =-)

i think he's referring to shifting into a group of enemies and immediately hitting ST; it's something i do all the time, except i deploy an icy terrain first​​
  • nathan#8975 nathan Member Posts: 225 Arc User
    ohh. I thought he may have been talking about animation canceling. I've heard that theres a way to start steal time outside of a mob group and have it finish when you teleport inside, but I don't know how to do it or if that was just a rumor. @ironzerg79 any insight ? =-)
    I don't really know, honestly.

But on the stamina thing, and correct me if I'm wrong because it's been a while, but each teleport takes 35 stamina. So when you dodge twice, you're stuck until your get some stamina back. But with enough stamina regen, you can get those critical extra ticks back faster, essentially giving you a third dodge, which is awesome for surviving and moving around.

And that's something to think about when you're dodging. Teleport is an escape mechanic, but also creates a high level of mobility for you. As you're dodging, dodge to where you want to be next, not just away from trouble. Also remember that the time when you get "stuck" at the end of the teleport animation is your couple frames of immunity, so it's possible to actually dodge into red, be immune as the attack is going off, and continue to lay on the DPS. It's incredibly helpful for dragons, as you can actually charge INTO their wingclap, dodge in, then be right in their face to keep laying on the damage, instead of having to run back.

Time on target is DPS, so think about how you're moving in order to maximizes the amount of time you spend flinging magical death at things.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • scruffyforumscruffyforum Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Playing on PS4 and going to try this build out. Been running SS/Thaum for a while but wanna try something new and this seems like a nice fit. Will post later after playing with the build for a while with my thoughts on it. Overall tho, very nice guide.
  • shdwwrym#2672 shdwwrym Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    ironzerg79, thank you for all the work you've put into the guide as well as answering other questions. I know you're not able to add more to the guide with the forum changes, but would it be possible to see which boons you recommend for Elemental Evil and the Maze Engine? I think those are the only ones not shown in the guide or in pictures later in the thread, and I'm curious on your thoughts for them.
    Hey guys, given the tone of the Livestream a couple weeks ago, I'm not anticipating a balance pass on the CW any time soon, so I'm going to put a little more work into updating this guide fully for Module 10 over the next week or so.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    Maybe they're using IE as a browser, so that they fix classes and bugs every 4-5 mods or so. - _ -

Saddening to see the CW in the current shape.
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language
    Kinda, yeah. I've been thinking about the updates...and then realizing...there's not much to say.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
    edited November 2016
    Can't wait for the guide update, still getting used to the game on the ps4 and it'd be great to know what to aim for!
    Post edited by shdwwrym#2672 on
    Looking forward to an update as well. I have been playing this build on PS4 and really like it, although I have deviated a little from suggested encounter power usage, I am always experimenting with encounter power load outs to see whats more effective for a particular battle. Icy Terrain and Conduit of Ice are always on my bars though, chill stacks rack up really quickly to a frozen enemy or group of enemies, and everyone knows a frozen enemy does no damage :wink: Looking to find ways to increase frozen mob time though, suggestions?

Just to let you know Ironzerg I went the Acolyte of Kelemvor/life steal path, works really well in most situations, some however....... It's all good though I enjoy the play style and I am always looking to improve upon the build to suit my tastes.
    Not trying to be a pain, just curious if a whole revision of the guide is in the works, or if you decided it didn't need updating after all, ironzerg79. I am still very curious what you tend to use for Elemental Evil, Maze Engine and Storm King boons, if nothing else!