test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How is a GWF supposed to deal with piercing damage?

pando83pando83 Member Posts: 2,564 Arc User
SE oneshot build--->GWFs can't dodge. Only option is to build massive amounts of HP, which means you need a maxed SH HP boon which is out of reach for most players.

HR piercing damage--->pretty much the same as SE, it just isn't a oneshot. You die in seconds. Cannot dodge.

So, how is a GWF supposed to face these builds, in a way that is affordable by all the players?

Comments

• fastrean3fastrean3 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    Knock the hr out off their red zone like GF did?
  • trentbail21trentbail21 Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    Mod 10.5 we all might have to switch to the Valhalla set for the decrease of incoming damage. For now my only suggestion would be to stack hp and lifesteal. Defense is a complete waste these days it seems.
    Find me in game if you want and send me a domination/ gaunt invite. If you are good and im not busy ill play with you. Im not an elitist ill play with almost anyone.
  • hanniballa#2401 hanniballa Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    SE has a sound that gives away when a TR is using it, sprint away. HR's can be outmaneuvered, stop standing still trying to trade damage with us and avoid the aoe spots. And as you stated, high HP is important.
  • pando83pando83 Member Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    You can't sprint away enough. SE still hits you unless you are already far from the TR.
    High enough HPs can be achieved only through SH boon, which is something not all players have.

Did you ever play a GWF in lvl 70 PvP? You should try. It goes from very tanky (at high iLvLs) when facing other classes, to thin paper when facing HRs or TRs.
  • ltgamesttv#0999 ltgamesttv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,438 Arc User
    How to deal with HR damage is... don't stand in the red circle. Plant growth will kill you when coupled with at wills. Move away from the circle wait till it's gone, dagger them, dash in, get your stacks of destroyer, then daily and IBS. Rinse and repeat. You may eventually kill them if you get a lucky hard hitter.
    On ambush rings: "How would you like PVE if all the mobs were invisible?"

imgur pics don't work

• pando83pando83 Member Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    I usually stay out of red circles and move a lot since i have Icy build. Still i noticed that BiS HRs dash at me and then in few seconds 130k HP are gone. Will try harder and see. Thank you for the tips.
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    I think it's not so much a question whether you can avoid it but the discrepancy of effort and gain between piercing damage sources and everyone else. Piercing damage is just not balanced in any shape or form. It's button spam for those that have it and an insane amount of awareness and understanding mechanics for those fighting against it. And sometimes there's no escaping at all even if you do everything right.​​
  • jhpnwjhpnw Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 611 Arc User
    also the arti that gives free movement so cant be CCed will help vs both HR and TR
  • jhpnwjhpnw Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 611 Arc User
    loboguild said:

I think it's not so much a question whether you can avoid it but the discrepancy of effort and gain between piercing damage sources and everyone else. Piercing damage is just not balanced in any shape or form. It's button spam for those that have it and an insane amount of awareness and understanding mechanics for those fighting against it. And sometimes there's no escaping at all even if you do everything right.​​

GWF my IL and HPS are a tight match for me mostly who ever makes a mistake is dead. lots of things you cant escape from in PVP my biggest problem is CW repel then shield then death slammed to wall can t move for 2 seconds then mass damage then death. Piercing has nothing to do with that. It has now became a game of players who play well get kills. At least now every class has the ability to kill every class once get to a good IL and gear. The big differences are when you face the PVP guilds with legendary mounts and the SH boons those players are just a class by their selves. But they have just as much right to play as I do and I don't begrudge them there accomplishments

• baoshionebaoshione Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 22 Arc User
    I don't get it, why devs or whoever don't understand that piercing just break the class balance. Is that so complex to understand? and why only on few classes and not on ALL?
  • santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    baoshione said:

I don't get it, why devs or whoever don't understand that piercing just break the class balance. Is that so complex to understand? and why only on few classes and not on ALL?

Makes you wonder what the point of crit resistance was....
  • fastrean3fastrean3 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    @santralafax
    May be its time for them to add piercing damge resistance, lol :p
  • drkbodhidrkbodhi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,378 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    morenthar said:

I'm starting to think that we need larger nodes regardless of the above. All of the classes have outgrown them.

It covers the entire node... and they drop it and run away sometimes. Killing whomever tries to cap.
    ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    Leadership Council of Civil Anarchy
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • icyphishicyphish Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,255 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    well what makes you think a bunch of high lvl players stops playing their gwf, tr, gf, sw, cw and suddenly all started to play HR now? because nobody is denying HR is the FOTM class with pretty broken OP piercing dmg and super high self healing. Their action pretty much shows it all :o Unfortunately as much as Cryptic like to tell others they are working on class balance, they continue to ignore the broken mechanics, and this is the main reason I stop posting on the forum these days, I just dont have faith in them anymore.
    icydrake%20avatar2_zpsg7rp0xti.jpg

Author of GWF Speed Demon PvP Build (Mod 11) <- Click to reveal the Speedy Beast! >:)
  • santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Nevermind.