test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Greetings from the Mimic King

Comments

• ouros#7263 ouros Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Question: What is the purpose behind the level design in Mantol-Derith dailies? I mean, many times when we have to slay demons, we have to travel to a very far away spot in a map, (for example Icespire Peak) to slay some demons. Then travel back. So it's like 7-8 minutes of travel and like 2-4 minutes of fight. Is there a purpose behind it, other than extending playtime?
  • panderuspanderus Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,007 Cryptic Developer
    edited September 2016
    dupeks said:

I am delighted to see increased engagement from Devs such as @panderus and @terramak on the forums. More dialog with the community, even before you have all the answers, can serve as a wonderful tool to build trust and cultivate an engaged player base.
    <3
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    panderus said:

dupeks said:

I am delighted to see increased engagement from Devs such as @panderus and @terramak on the forums. More dialog with the community, even before you have all the answers, can serve as a wonderful tool to build trust and cultivate an engaged player base.
    <3 you, @panderus. Thank you for trying to keep the community more informed. Please keep this up. :) We do appreciate it.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • nightranger7477nightranger7477 Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    This does in fact make a big difference to a lot of players including myself, Developer interaction is very encouraging and goes a long way in clarifying things that otherwise become nothing more than rumor and innuendo. Thanks @panderus
  • mimicking#6533 mimicking Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 83 Cryptic Developer
    edited September 2016
    Thanks everyone that took part in the AMA and joining in on the live stream. I know I didn't get to everyone's questions and I promise you I will not play everyone's foundry missions, but just remember this is the start of a long adventure.

Special shout outs to the moderators and to Andy for keeping the questions going.

Cheers, and remember- click the chest, then run!
    Thomas "M.K."
    Go ahead, click on the chest...
  • vinceent1vinceent1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    well, after watching livestream i am not happy what i heard.

they dont even appointed new class balance dev, so class balance is nowhere near and definitely not this year. and they repeat that everything else pvp related will be after class balance. like we are waiting for every little piece years and we will continue to waiting and waiting (and probably praying no more people leaves for other companies). we get one week of solo que and there will be another week of duo que. probably somewhere during 4th quarter 2016. we should be probably gratefull for that one full solo week. one week, that will never happen anymore in the next 360 days probably. one week that make you taste old pvp gameplay and then remove it for good, but stay tuned it can be back somewhere in next year. what a joke

WE WANT EVERYDAY GAMEPLAY ENJOYABLE AND NOT WAITING FOR EVENTS OR AFTER YOU ARE HAPPY WITH BALANCE. WITH BALANCE, YOU HAPPILY BROKE WITH NEXT LOCKBOX ITEM WHENEVER YOU WANT

i cant even tell how disappointed i am, show us finally some flexibility and listening to players and give us permanent solo que option. you obviously fail with class balance schedule, give us something else
  • kuero21kuero21 Member Posts: 454 Arc User

click the chest, then run!

You guys should probably change the interaction with the mimics because you can recognize a mimic before interacting with it. If it says "open chest", its a mimic. If it says "examine" or something like this (I'm not playing in English) its a normal treasure chest.
  • imperiousshiniimperiousshini Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    After watching the stream and rewatching it later, I'd like to mention I am very enthusiastic about the changes coming (counting Player Housing as a fact coming in the future) , a little worried about the rework coming in DCs (i hope they won't lose their originality) and not TRs. Lastly I am a bit confused what I made out from the video, is that no more personalization options (such as hairstyles, hair colors tattoos eye colors or body types) are coming? Am not sure that Andy managed to explain that very well so am not sure if the answer was the above as well. (thoroughly asked if we get more fashion and trasmutes though) It was a very informative stream.

Greetings and have fun in leading NW Thomas Foss xD
    Post edited by imperiousshini on
  • fallenangel1963fallenangel1963 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I thought it was a great livestream, I loved what Thomas was saying and his enthusiasm. I admit, I am still knew so I did not fully understand everyone complaints and the answers given, but I think he is going to be a great influence.

Oh, and isn't Andy adorable? Plus his a Spider-Man fan, which is always an amazing thing.
  • ddem0n888ddem0n888 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    Good stream imo. Honest, didn't dodge questions. This Mimic King shows a lot of promise.

Obviously I'm going to be a bit biased as I'm a PvE Xbox GWF so foundry, gateway, TR balance isn't something I particularly care about.

The Dev to Community communication is vital and really appreciated. Even if its a simple acknowledgement of an issue or request.
    Guild - Excalibur
  • kalkelrial#8297 kalkelrial Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    I've just finished watching the live stream via video - thanks for putting it up so those of us who missed it could see it. And thanks to MimicKing and Strum for taking the time to actually do the stream - it's really appreciated.

I'm happy to hear of the changes/fixes that have been mentioned, and I'd also like to thank Mimic for his honesty when he answered questions by admitting he didn't have answers yet (if that makes sense).

I'm about to move from playing on PC to PS4 which I'm looking forward to and dreading at the same time (some functions look very clunky on the console) so many of the things that will take place may not affect me for a while.

Having said that I didn't really hear an answer about or don't think was asked in the stream (except for the part about Coal Wards) was if the whole RP thing is going to be looked at. (Apologies if it was and I missed it.) Many others have posted that trying to update artefact equipment and enchantments takes so long and is so grindy as to render it a boring chore that isn't any fun (sorry if that sounds whiny). I'd love to get higher item level so I can try the new content but it's sooooo time consuming and I, like many other players, just don't have a great deal of game time. Is this going to be looked at?
  • izworizwor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 238 Arc User
    Thank you for very nice Q&A, full of information about future plans for the game. I see great commitment, knowledge and great ideas. It was one of the best livestream I have seen so far.
  • torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User

Thanks everyone that took part in the AMA and joining in on the live stream. I know I didn't get to everyone's questions and I promise you I will not play everyone's foundry missions, but just remember this is the start of a long adventure.

You really should though. Each is 15-20 minutes long, and lots of my reviews say "the most fun quest", "i wish other quests were like this", "ive never played a quest like this, cant wait for the next one" etc.. Cryptic might learn something. =P Check the links in my sig, I have screenshots of my reviews.

Also I'm awesome.

NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
    Thanks for all the fish.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User

You really should though. Each is 15-20 minutes long, and lots of my reviews say "the most fun quest", "i wish other quests were like this", "ive never played a quest like this, cant wait for the next one" etc.. Cryptic might learn something. =P Check the links in my sig, I have screenshots of my reviews.

Also I'm awesome.
    Indeed.

An incredibly simplistic investment of barely any dev time... ...would instantly allow...
    • HUNDREDS of "content developers" that could be "borrowed" from to create official Skirmishes, Dungeons, PvP maps, Events, STORIES!
    • UN-FARMABLE Foundry Rewards- NO BOTTING.
    • Foundry use of Skill Nodes
    • INCREDIBLY HAPPY CUSTOMERS with WORTHWHILE alternatives to GRINDING\
    • "Infinite Content" -- HELLO? INFINITE CONTENT YOU COULD TWEAK FOR YOURSELVES FREEING UP DEVELOPERS!
    @mimicking#6533 How can you NOT afford a measely couple of days of dev time?
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User

Special shout outs to the moderators and to Andy for keeping the questions going.

Thomas "M.K."

Mine takes upwards of 45 minutes, but I GUARANTEE that you won't ever look at redcaps the same way again :wink:
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • imperiousshiniimperiousshini Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 199 Arc User
    I for the most part will try to play some of the foundry mentioned xD
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User

Question: What is the purpose behind the level design in Mantol-Derith dailies? I mean, many times when we have to slay demons, we have to travel to a very far away spot in a map, (for example Icespire Peak) to slay some demons. Then travel back. So it's like 7-8 minutes of travel and like 2-4 minutes of fight. Is there a purpose behind it, other than extending playtime?

Invest in VIP. Travel, kill demons, pull out a traveling signpost and head back to Bruenor.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • polaris1986polaris1986 Member Posts: 320 Arc User
    @strumslinger hello, will be somewhere text version of steam as Q&A for non-english speakers?
    "sometimes the world doesn't need another hero, sometimes what it needs is a monster"

• mahburgmahburg Member Posts: 598 Arc User
    kuero21 said:

click the chest, then run!

You guys should probably change the interaction with the mimics because you can recognize a mimic before interacting with it. If it says "open chest", its a mimic. If it says "examine" or something like this (I'm not playing in English) its a normal treasure chest.
    Indeed Randomise the Mimic like happens in Respens lol

That would be funny and put in Epic or legendary level mimics to scare the living heck out of even 4K players lol.
    In fact scaled depending on who triggers it would be very cool :)
  • mynaammynaam Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 937 Arc User
    Really unhappy that cw and op will continue to be neglected for the next 12+ months.The fact that they will not even be looked at in that period but the hr that received a boost in mod 10 will be revised is shocking. the 2 classes that have been decimated by nerfs and struggle to keep up with the pase will be ignored for more than a year!
    There are more than BIS players in this game
    RIP Real Tiamat, RIP Real Demogorgon RIP real Temple of the spider. Why remove non bis content to give to bis players ????
    FORCING the majority of your player base to play 4 mod old dungeons and trial will have a bad result on player base
    Changes are getting so bad i would rather prefer no new changes (RIP ICE FISHING in winter fest)

• zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited September 2016

@strumslinger hello, will be somewhere text version of steam as Q&A for non-english speakers?

I started transcribing it last night and am transcribing more of it right now before I go into work and will try and finish it up late tonight after I get off from work. The transcription is in English but should be able to be put into a translator by users for a rough translation into other languages.

• polaris1986polaris1986 Member Posts: 320 Arc User
    оk, thanks
    "sometimes the world doesn't need another hero, sometimes what it needs is a monster"

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 117 Arc User

Thomas "M.K."

Maybe add a spell sealed chest where the chest actually has a dragon inside it.... A dragon that is hungry and will eat you if it can.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    Here's the transcript of the Q&A: Link!
  • swirve#6429 swirve Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    Is the mimicking still around....? Silent through keygate.
  • lyaiselyaise Member Posts: 491 Arc User

Greetings adventurers, Thomas “Mimic King” Foss here. As the new Lead Designer on Neverwinter, I wanted to introduce myself to all you dungeon dwellers, give you a bit of background on myself and my dreams for Neverwinter, and more importantly to get to know you as well.
    First off a bit of background on me and how I got here; I had the privilege of designing the demo quest for Neverwinter and pitching it over 7 years ago. Since then I’ve been on and off the team as a content designer and content lead creating zones, dungeons, skirmishes and PvP. I’ve moved on and off the team onto other projects such as Champions and Star Trek to help them ship, or get onto console, as well as prototyping other games that didn’t quite make the cut… or have yet to be seen… but my heart has always been with Neverwinter. And now I’m back!

But what you really probably want to know is, ”what’s my angle, my skin in the game?” Pretty easy, really. I can sum it up in one sentence. Let’s tell stories. I’ll be honest, I’m not a full on numbers cruncher when it comes to maxing out gear and stats (but we do have people on our team for that!) I’m a story teller, and have been working with the awesome Neverwinter team in creating stories and continuing stories from yore (fancy word for “when we launched”) in which you can adventure. I’m not talking full dialogue trees, but rather stronger story lines that give you more background into the world, how it’s changing, how you – the adventurer- have changed it, opening up new opportunities and catching the eye of larger dangers to Neverwinter and beyond.
    Additionally there are many things I’m working to improve upon.
    • Dungeon Revamps
    • Powers and class Balance
    • Strongholds
    • PvP
    • Professions
    • and of course more Mimics
    Now comes the fun part. I’ll be doing an “ask me anything“ live stream on Friday the 23rd at 2pm PT where we can get to know each other better. Andy has posted a blog announcement below. In the meantime, I’d love for you to prime the pump and ask questions here. I can’t promise to get to all of them on stream, but I’ll do my best.

Thanks again for being a big part of Neverwinter, and I look forward to our adventures together!

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/10166833-developer-stream:-q&a-with-lead-designer,-thomas-foss

Greetings.
    As you are no doubt aware, there is an eruption of player dissatisfaction in response to the frankly unbelievable 'this is a bug' comments by various people connected to the game company.

I have posted the comments below in the key change topic - but as this now has more than 50 pages of reaction, I wish to assist you in differentiation of feature v bug:

1. The above is a feature.

2. This is a bug
    ...............vote for your favourite expansion..........
    "Mod 6. Oh my f****** god. It gutted the game pure and simple. And what wasn't gutted was messed up by the poorly thought out new level cap and equip. The game never recovered from that atrocity".
    ..............not this one then.............
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    Do you think he cares, or anyone in this thread, they dont. They only wish for us to skip and leave.

Most of us will, but at least I can pass the truth around on what the game has become.
  • groglastgroglast Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited October 2016

Is the mimicking still around....? Silent through keygate.

No, he doesn't care and never did. Any statement to the contrary is proven false by a 51 page (and counting) thread where he is absent.