test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Paladin PvE damage/buff/tank guide

slappdanielslappdaniel Member Posts: 78 Arc User
edited April 2017 in The Citadel
Hello everyone,

before you read this guide you should know, that this build needs a lot of expensive things to be effective, but its a lot of fun if you get to the point where you have all those things. (you need: Fail Snail, Sigil of the Devoted on mythic and a good equiped Air Archon with 3x bonding runestones[at least lvl 10]).

This is the OP build i use since mod 6:

Stats without buffs:

Defensive stats:

Also:

Encounter powers:
Slot 1= Sacred Weapon (almost always slotted) or Burning Light (i sometimes use this in CN)
Slot 2= Smite (always equiped)
Slot 3= Circle of Power (Bosses), Templar's Wrath (for trash only)
At-Will powers: Shielding Strike, Radiant Strike
daily powers: Divine Protector, Divine Judgement
class powers: Aura of Wisdom, Aura of Courage

Attributes: charisma = constitution > wisdom > intelligence > dexterity > strength

Mount: Fail Snail

Mount bonuses and Insignia: Protector's Camaraderie, Artificer's Persuasion, Cavalry's Warning, Gladiator's Guile and Shepherd's Devotion. Most Insignia are Power/Companion Influence, Crit/Combat Advantage, Hit Points.

Weapon enchantment: Vorpal

Armor Enchantment: Negation

Enchantments: In your offense slots you can use Radiant, Dark, Draconic and Brutal but with BiS gear you should only use Radiant and in your defense slots you should only use Radiant too.

Stats you want: ~5000 recovery, ~5000 armor penetration (you will get more than enough from companion gift), 1000-1500 action point generation, 1000-1500 combat advantage, as much power as you can get, as much crit as you can get and as much life as you can get.

Stats you dont want: deflect (its useless and you wont need it), defense (you will get a lot of defense anyway so dont push it with anything else than gear).

Artifact you need: Sigil of the Devoted.

Artifacts that i use: Symbol of Air, Sigil of the Great Weapon, Tiamat's Orb of Majesty.

Artifact belt and cloak: I am using Black Ice Belt and Imperial Dragon Cloak.

Companions: Air Archon (3xbonding runestone), Errinye (10% critical severity), Siege Master (4% damage), all other companions are optional (i am using earth and fire archon for more % dmg).

Boons: You can change them according to your gear.

ACT from ~25min fbi run to showcase whats possible damage-wise (sorry for german names):

fun ~23min fbi run with 4dc and 1op

I hope you like my build. If you have a question, just ask here.
Post edited by slappdaniel on
Tagged:

Comments

• wildfiredewildfirede Member Posts: 886 Arc User
    question: why did you put tank in the topic name and then tell ppl to forfeit defense/deflect - sure for the "i wanted a GWF but had a paladin at 70 already" it is fine, you will beat a 2k gwf at dmg and will take less than him but... the first time orcus smells you and hits you for 700k the party will go looking in their companion tab for something better than you to actually tank :)
    Please fix Zhentarim Warlock companion's skill "Arcane Warping" to the originally intended "Arcane Boost"
    zhentarim-warlock-companion

Pure -> Transcendent Plague Fire weapon enchantment giving 80damge/20 seconds for 500k+ AD is a joke.
    plague-fire-weapon-enchant-r11-vs-r12
  • slappdanielslappdaniel Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited September 2016

question: why did you put tank in the topic name and then tell ppl to forfeit defense/deflect - sure for the "i wanted a GWF but had a paladin at 70 already" it is fine, you will beat a 2k gwf at dmg and will take less than him but... the first time orcus smells you and hits you for 700k the party will go looking in their companion tab for something better than you to actually tank :)

not really, because of the high damage i also get an insane amount of temporay hit points from Templar's Wrath and obviously you start the orcus fight with Binding Oath which gives you 6-8 seconds to do your rotation while you get no damage at all. The Rotation is kind of like this: Binding Oath -> Divine Protector -> Templar's Wrath -> Smite --> Sigil of the Devoted -> Reset everything with Divine Call and start over with Binding Oath while you try to keep up Divince Protector and spam your other skills as soon as they are ready.

my Defense stats:
    Unbenannt

I forgott to mention that you have to put 3x Azure (defense slots) on your active Companion. This gives you like 5-6k defense while your bonding runestones proc. If you put Radiant on your Companion you wont get the life from him.
    Post edited by kreatyve on
  • wildfiredewildfirede Member Posts: 886 Arc User
    ah i see, with the 5k from companion it makes sense now thanks for the clarification.
    Please fix Zhentarim Warlock companion's skill "Arcane Warping" to the originally intended "Arcane Boost"
    zhentarim-warlock-companion

Pure -> Transcendent Plague Fire weapon enchantment giving 80damge/20 seconds for 500k+ AD is a joke.
    plague-fire-weapon-enchant-r11-vs-r12
  • samthestrange#4654 samthestrange Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    How does this build work out for other races?
  • smertrios6110smertrios6110 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Veny nice Draco and now with our "Divine Protector" Nerf, how you handdle the changes ? - Thank you

How does this build work out for other races?

i guess you could also play human, half-elf or tiefling with this build but dragonborn is by far the best

Veny nice Draco and now with our "Divine Protector" Nerf, how you handdle the changes ? - Thank you

most of the time i dont use it and i just go full damage with Divine Judgement (its really easy to get aggro through damage as a paladin). The only fight you should try to keep it up as much as you can is against orcus (If you cant keep it up for a longer time you need to learn the patterns of the boss and time it right). If you have a group with low gearscore you can use Shield of Faith for the trash groups and/or the bosses. Its definitely easier to keep Shield of Faith up than Divine Protector.
  • sethan93sethan93 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited April 2016

The only fight you should try to keep it up as much as you can is against orcus

How do you deal with Blue Dragon in SH Dragonflight?
    No bubble too ?

sethan93 said:

The only fight you should try to keep it up as much as you can is against orcus

How do you deal with Blue Dragon in SH Dragonflight?
    No bubble too ?

Cant really give a 100% answer to that because i havent done the SH dragonflight after the patch. I guess i would do the same Rotation i do against orcus and try to survive as long as i can. But than again, dragonflight is different in every guild because of the number and strenght of their members. So you have to test things and see what works best with your guild.
  • sethan93sethan93 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    We take blue with 5 men party. it works pretty well for us.
    But I wondered how you could do that with your build/powers :)
    Thanks for your answer.
    *updated the text (not the pictures yet). Also iam using Fangbreaker Armor with Power/Crit/Recovery stats now.
  • omgitszephomgitszeph Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    thanks for the update Draco :)
    ~Intelligence is SEXXY, talk nerdy to me ~
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    Great guy, great build fun to run with :)

Great guy, great build fun to run with :)

likewise ;)

edited September 2016
    *updated screenshots and edited more text. summary: i changed my attributes, icewind dale and tyranny of dragons boons.

btw. i am sorry for german screenshoots but i am to lazy to change to english client.
    edited September 2016
    please ask questions here not ingame. i cant always answer there. especially not when iam running a dungeon. ty in advance. much love ;)
    *small update: switched out Dancing Blade (5% critical severity) for Siege Master (4% damage)

thinking about some changes for my artifact gear, since black ice set bonus is still broken (stats are still awesome for op). gonna keep you updated if iam really gonna do it.
  • silver11#9318 silver11 Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    ive been using something similar, but im thinking of switching too. all power/ recovery/ hp. the reasoning is to share power with the team, and with alot of hp you give a good bonus using certain class features. plus with the owlbear cub companion... basically im thinking about using the tiamats neck, greater con belt, and three artifacts with hp and power (no need to mention devoted sigil cause thats obvious). maybe wheel, siegemasters warhorn, vanguard banner, paladin sigil, gwf sigil... some mixture of those. all gear with power/ recov (definitely two pieces dusk)... idk yet though, its a big investment but i think it could be great.
    edited September 2016

ive been using something similar, but im thinking of switching too. all power/ recovery/ hp. the reasoning is to share power with the team, and with alot of hp you give a good bonus using certain class features. plus with the owlbear cub companion... basically im thinking about using the tiamats neck, greater con belt, and three artifacts with hp and power (no need to mention devoted sigil cause thats obvious). maybe wheel, siegemasters warhorn, vanguard banner, paladin sigil, gwf sigil... some mixture of those. all gear with power/ recov (definitely two pieces dusk)... idk yet though, its a big investment but i think it could be great.

probably just gonna change black ice beholder for symbol of air. iam not a fan of owlbear cub since its worse than a crit build at single target fights.
    *ugraded text for Armor Enchantment
  • silver11#9318 silver11 Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    true but it does good dps for you and maximizes buffs for your team, win win imo.
  • treesclimbertreesclimber Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited September 2016

Still you could build more HP/power targeted, you have lots of arm pen that is not used when your companion procs the bondings and there is only a hand full of cases where your companion can fall behind.
    Aura of courage is at least 19% of my damage always, the more i increase the hp, more aura of courage will give to me and allies, more power i'll be abble to reach by taking damage, the more power i will share, the more i get from protectors camaradiere + friendship, dark revelry. If i could afford what you can i would definitivelly use sigil of the OP, horn of valhala and wheel as secondary artifacts and spread insignias to fill other stats, but your build, your point of view, could you show us your mount insignias?

edited September 2016

Still you could build more HP/power targeted, you have lots of arm pen that is not used when your companion procs the bondings and there is only a hand full of cases where your companion can fall behind.
    Aura of courage is at least 19% of my damage always, the more i increase the hp, more aura of courage will give to me and allies, more power i'll be abble to reach by taking damage, the more power i will share, the more i get from protectors camaradiere + friendship, dark revelry. If i could afford what you can i would definitivelly use sigil of the OP, horn of valhala and wheel as secondary artifacts and spread insignias to fill other stats, but your build, your point of view, could you show us your mount insignias?
    "Aura of courage is at least 19% of my damage ". Thats true for your own damage but for damge classes its like 5-10%, depending on class.
    More hp is always good if you can get it without forsaking something important. Thats also the reason i cant really change any of my artifacts except for black ice beholder. Best thing you can do is get Artifacts with 1000 Power. The 4000 HP on artifacts (400 power, maybe ~0,1 or less damage boost from aura of courage) dont matter if the third stat is useless. Sadly there is no Artifact with 4000hp/1000power/600AP gen, 4000hp/1000power/600combat advantage or 4000hp/1000power/600recovery. I wouldnt even think twice and change them immediately. Hopefully we get one in the future.

Companion bonuses are: Protector's Camaraderie, Artificer's Persuasion, Cavalry's Warning, Gladiator's Guile and Protector's Friendship. Most Insignia are Power/Companion Influence, Crit/Combat Advantage, Hit Points.
    *update: Implemented text for mount bonuses and insignia
    Aura of courage depends a lot on class, it's true, but i've seen acts in TR's for 17% for example the wort case scenario is archer HR's where it can be 0, just by chance have you tried tenebrous? i tried it some months ago my preview OP that stands at 149k and it was only worth for bull wark build wich needless to say it's useless.

edited September 2016

Aura of courage depends a lot on class, it's true, but i've seen acts in TR's for 17% for example the wort case scenario is archer HR's where it can be 0, just by chance have you tried tenebrous? i tried it some months ago my preview OP that stands at 149k and it was only worth for bull wark build wich needless to say it's useless.

No i havent tried them because you would lose to much power. i thought about a way to get more hp, without losing much. if i go with human i can gain ~2500 power and ~24000 life and i would only lose 5% crit. I would change current points in wisdom back to Con and the new build would look like this then: nwcalc.com/index.html#/op?b=1oa5:k6rwk5:8dep:5tb7d,1xii153:1uu5551:1000000:150z000&h=1&p=oop&o=0

its not saving correctly... i would put 3 remaining points from human obviously in force of will.

if i decide to do this change i am gonna update the guide here.
    That makes sence, and you can just rebalance crit again.

• souldevourer#6754 souldevourer Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    null
    Is there gear to get your charisma that high apart from the belt or did I respec wrong?

null

Is there gear to get your charisma that high apart from the belt or did I respec wrong?

+2 race bonus, +1 campfire bonus and +2 belt. rolled highest charisma i could get at char creation.