test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Icewind Dale for non-PVP'er

Wondering if there's a reason to go to Icewind Dale if I don't do PVP? Interested in crafting black ice items but can I do that without doing the PVP areas?

Comments

• qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User

Wondering if there's a reason to go to Icewind Dale if I don't do PVP? Interested in crafting black ice items but can I do that without doing the PVP areas?

yes, absolutely. The PVP areas give you a warning so you shouldn't accidentally walk into them. You do still have to choose one of the two factions before you can complete any of the quests, and that will need renewing every few days if you don't go in daily. Icewind Dale can be quite challenging if you are a newish level 70 character but worth the effort if you want access to Black Ice Crafting. I only go there once a week these days to beat up Biggrin for the AD and to play 'hunt the yeti' at the Hook, Line and Sinker Inn.

• beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    PvP is optional and you never need to go into the PvP-flagged areas if you don't want to. PvP quests give you nothing but a little XP and gold (and PvP campaign progress).

IWD zones have PvE quests, a PvE campaign with boons, and you can obtain sufficient black ice in PvE areas.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    For the most part Black Ice is most easily found in the PvP area. At least it seems that way in the Pass.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,184 Arc User
    Yes, if you want to farm a lot of black ice and don't worry about be killed once a while, sneaking into PVP area in its "down" time is more productive in terms of time spend and black ice farmed.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
    The nodes in the PvP zones give more per interact and allow more interacts (risk vs. reward), so it's a bit faster, but you still don't have to go in there, and shouldn't if the possibility of getting killed by another player gives you conniptions.

But, on PC at least, the zones are often very quiet and many players simply leave each other to their mining. I don't fight anyone who doesn't attack me first.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• drb48#5483 drb48 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    Thanks for the info. So what IL would be comfortable for Icewind Dale?

So what IL would be comfortable for Icewind Dale?

Having boons from some of the other campaigns may ultimately make more difference than your IL, but I'd say you could give it a try if you're eligible to enter a T1 dungeon and have no less than 40% resistance ignored (60% is recommended, but take what you can get when you're gearing up).

One thing to keep in mind is that some enemies in IWD are bugged and spawn (mostly in random locations) with the difficulty of a mid-sized heroic encounter. You can identify them by their thickly outlined health bar, and should avoid fighting these unless you have help. If they're a type of monster you need to kill for something, it will be much faster to find another set.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• godsblade#8271 godsblade Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    IWD -- does attract the occasional "BABY SEAL KILLER" these ruffians love to wack low IL players trying to get some Black Ice...don't let it get you down...just leave for 10 min they usually get bored an leave.
    Rolen
  • jumpingmorksjumpingmorks Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    godsblace said:

IWD -- does attract the occasional "BABY SEAL KILLER" these ruffians love to wack low IL players trying to get some Black Ice...don't let it get you down...just leave for 10 min they usually get bored an leave.
    Rolen

It may be that or it may be that Scrimshaw Tokens are rarer that Ancient Curios. At the end of the day, if you are in oPvP anything can happen, I haven't stalked IWD since Mod 9, but hopefully I will again soon, it's the only way to progress the IWD PvP campaign and the only way of earning those elusive Scrimshaw Tokens which is by killing other players.

Sometimes there are more of the opposite faction, sometimes it's just a steady roll of those looking for an easy source of Black Ice, sometimes guilds get involved and come hunting for you in an act of bloody revenge, it's the nature of oPvP.

In a competitive zone where people can come and go at will, you take what you can get and if you are outmatched, outnumbered or both, do something else for a little bit, there's no point getting upset over it.

godsblace said:

Rolen

It may be that or it may be that Scrimshaw Tokens are rarer that Ancient Curios. At the end of the day, if you are in oPvP anything can happen, I haven't stalked IWD since Mod 9, but hopefully I will again soon, it's the only way to progress the IWD PvP campaign and the only way of earning those elusive Scrimshaw Tokens which is by killing other players.

Sometimes there are more of the opposite faction, sometimes it's just a steady roll of those looking for an easy source of Black Ice, sometimes guilds get involved and come hunting for you in an act of bloody revenge, it's the nature of oPvP.

In a competitive zone where people can come and go at will, you take what you can get and if you are outmatched, outnumbered or both, do something else for a little bit, there's no point getting upset over it.
    We could organize an Alliance battle?

Neverwinter Census 2017

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,184 Arc User

godsblace said:

Rolen

You could organize a battle within the guild.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***

You could organize a battle within the guild.

If he and I were in the same guild, maybe I would have proposed that.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• jumpingmorksjumpingmorks Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User

godsblace said:

Rolen

An Alliance battle would be a great event to organize, maybe some boosting on the side :)

• gphxgphxgphxgphx Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    My rule of thumb is if Sharandar and Dread Ring boons are done or nearly so you're good to go for IWD. That said it's harder for some classes and builds than others and of course dependent upon your gear. Socketed purple pants and shirt are pretty cheap in the AH these days and help a lot.
  • mysteriasdrassamysteriasdrassa Member Posts: 299 Arc User
    Also, there seems to be an UNWRITTEN agreement that the PVP players stick to the Icewind Pass side and the PVE players do the quests in the zone on the Dwarven Valley side. This is not always the case, but USUALLY people leave each other alone on the DV side.