test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Looking for a GF Tank Build / Solo Build - PS4

mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
edited September 2016 in The Guard Barracks
I have read plenty on MMOminds on GF builds. I am looking for a good GF build that can solo content without any fuss (do damage) but also be a tank. I am currently level 43 with my GF and building her up each day. My goal is to hopefully have her level 70 by the end of this weekend, if possible.

Here is my current GF info.

Race: Halfing - for 3% deflection and +2 Con and Dex.
Stats by Level 70: STR 20, CON 26, DEX 20, INT 12, WIS 12 & CHA 12

I have acquired some level 70 gear from trade bar and two 142 rings from my main toon.

Current level 70 Gear: Dusk Ward Helm, Dusk Raid Breastplate, Dusk Ward Sabatons, Ring of Fortress +4, Ring of Rising Deflection +4, Drowcraft Chaincoat, Drowcraft Chausses, Greater Belt of Seldarine, Epic Heart of the Red Dragon, Uncommon Water of Elah'zad and Uncommon Sigil of the Devoted, and will obtain Sigil of the Guardian when I hit level 70.

Enchantments: 2 Draconic Rank 8, 2 Cruel Rank 8, 1 Dragon Hoard Rank 8 and any Rank 7 I should get from the Tradebar mechant, I was thinking Silvery for Recovery and Deflection.

I know I don't have level 70 gloves ATM and I am considering acquiring the Drowcraft gauntlets and I am considering doing the same with the chestplate for additional recovery instead of critical strike.

I know have some work to do on my gear and I know it will take me some time to make the proper adjustments or find the right gear piece to improve my character.

Would like some thoughts on what to get for gear, am I going down the right path?

Also, I would greatly appreciate suggestion on the paragon path, feats, encounter, at will, dailies, and personals to focus on and use within a loadout that can help me achieve my goal.
Post edited by mebengalsfan#9264 on

Comments

• Options
    oliboypholiboyph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 627 Arc User
    If you are really looking for a solo build, you will want to go Conqueror. Protector and Tacticians are all about protecting and boosting people around them. Conqerors are still just as tanky as the other path but they deal much more damage.
    "As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann[/quote]
  • Options
    wabber#5907 wabber Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    The way your building with high recovery, sounds like a tactician trying to maximise buff up time. Also it would be helpful to know which platform, so we know which mod you are on. Pc is on mod 10 Xbox is on strongholds (with bonding runestone fix I think), and PlayStation is still pre strongholds.

This is why top of forum one of stickies says : please preface your post with x1 p4 or pc.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

The way your building with high recovery, sounds like a tactician trying to maximise buff up time. Also it would be helpful to know which platform, so we know which mod you are on. Pc is on mod 10 Xbox is on strongholds (with bonding runestone fix I think), and PlayStation is still pre strongholds.

This is why top of forum one of stickies says : please preface your post with x1 p4 or pc.

Fixed the post per the sticky. Thank you for pointing that, I forgot about the three various platforms. My bad.

Here is how I plan to build my GF. Please let me know what you think.

Stats: 21 STR, 22 CON, 21 DEX, 12 INT, 12 WIS, 12 CHA

Gear:
    Armor: Drowcraft Breast Plate
    Helm: Dusk Ward Helm,
    Legs: Dusk Ward Sabatons
    Gauntlets: Drowcraft Gauntlets
    Rings: Ring of Fortress +4 and Ring of Rising Deflection +4
    Shirt/Pants: Drowcraft Chaincoat and Drowcraft Chausses
    Belt: Greater Belt of Seldarine
    Neck: Neverwinter Emissary until I can get Greater Cloak of Seldarine
    Artifacts: Heart of the Red Dragon, Water of Elah'zad, Sigil of the Devoted, and Sigil of the Guardian
    Main Hand Weapon: Drowned Longsword
    Off Hand Weapon: Drowned Shield

As for gear if I can get the Alliance 132 Ward gear my Armor and Gauntlets would be swapped to those pieces instead of the Drowcraft for the added deflection and Armor Pen stat.

As for my neck I will replace that with the Greater Cloak of Seldarine.

Artifact I will replace Heart of the Red Dragon with the Symbol of Seldarine.

Mount Info:
    Mount Equipped Power: 2,000 Power (It is the only one I currently have. Hoping to get the Beholder for the reduction in combat damage)
    Insginas: Gladiator's Guile, Artificer's Influence, Champion Struggle, 2 currently open and not sure what to put here

Enchantments:
    Offensisve: Draconic Enchantments
    Defensive: Cruel
    Utility Slots: Dragon Hoard Enchantment, Fey Blessing, Dark Enchantment
    Weapon Enchantment:Terror
    Armor Enchantment: Negation

Heroic Feats:
    Toughness: 3/3
    Strength Focus: 2/3
    Action Surge: 2/5
    Armor Specialization: 3/3
    Potent Challenge: 3/3
    Ubiquitous Shield: 5/5

If I can get the beholder mount I will move the 5 points in Ubiquitous Shield over to Powerful Attack.

Paragon Feats:

Protector:
    Plate Agility: 5/5
    Shield Defense: 5/5

Tactician:
    Fight On: 5/5

Conqueror:
    Improved Vigor: 5/5
    Stunning Flourish: 5/5
    Jagged Blades: 2/5
    Crushing Shield: 3/5
    Cruel Cut Strike: 5/5
    Tactical Superiority; 5/5
    Reckless Attacker: 1/1

Solo
    At Wills: Weapon Master Strike and Cleave
    Encounters: Into the Frey, Anvil of Doom and Flourish
    Dailies: Fighter Recovery and Villain's Menace
    Class Feature: Combat Superiority and Steel Blitz

Tanking
    At Wills: Tides of Iron and Cleave
    Encounters: Into the Frey, Enforced Threat, Knight's Valor/Iron Warrior
    Class Feature: Shield Talent and Enchanced Mark

That is my build. Let me know what you think about this build and if you see any way to improve upon it. I know gear can be a big factor for any build. I'm open to hear what experienced GF have to say on this build.

Thanks.

• Options
    edited September 2016

Fixed the post per the sticky. Thank you for pointing that, I forgot about the three various platforms. My bad.

Gear:
    Artifacts: Heart of the Red Dragon, Water of Elah'zad, Sigil of the Devoted, and Sigil of the Guardian

As for gear if I can get the Alliance 132 Ward gear my Armor and Gauntlets would be swapped to those pieces instead of the Drowcraft for the added deflection and Armor Pen stat.

Mount Info:
    Mount Equipped Power: 2,000 Power (It is the only one I currently have. Hoping to get the Beholder for the reduction in combat damage)
    Insginas: Gladiator's Guile, Artificer's Influence, Champion Struggle, 2 currently open and not sure what to put here

Enchantments:

Heroic Feats:

If I can get the beholder mount I will move the 5 points in Ubiquitous Shield over to Powerful Attack.

Paragon Feats:

Protector:

Tactician:

Conqueror:

Solo

Tanking

That is my build. Let me know what you think about this build and if you see any way to improve upon it. I know gear can be a big factor for any build. I'm open to hear what experienced GF have to say on this build.

Thanks.

Be careful with Draconic, you don't want to go beyond 60% resistance ignored. Go for Vorpal, you are a DPS build not utility, take full advantage of it.

Why go Flourish? You'll want more AoE attacks like Enforced Threat or Lunging strike, same goes for when you are tanking. KV is good for the group, but again, you are basically rendering your conqueror build useless by not dishing out any damage.

Edit: sorry meant enforced threat not threatening rush
    Post edited by oliboyph on
    "As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann[/quote]
  • Options
    Fighter Recovery and Villain's Menace

oliboyph said:

Gear:

Mount Info:

Enchantments:

Heroic Feats:

Paragon Feats:

Protector:

Tactician:

Conqueror:

Solo

Tanking

Thanks.

Be careful with Draconic, you don't want to go beyond 60% resistance ignored. Go for Vorpal, you are a DPS build not utility, take full advantage of it.

Why go Flourish? You'll want more AoE attacks like Threatening Rush or Lunging strike, same goes for when you are tanking. KV is good for the group, but again, you are basically rendering your conqueror build useless by not dishing out any damage.
    Thanks for the info. I went with the Terror Enchantment for now as that is what I had on my main and it was free. I will upgrade when I have AD to make that swap.

As for Lunging Strike that is what I have been using, so I can keep that in there instead of Flourish. I selected Flourish because of the increase in crit stat it has from the feat I selected, which would than allow me to actually get some damage from the jagged blade feat.

As for my resistance ignore, I was aiming for 40% value and than moving over to recovery and power.

• Options

Fighter Recovery and Villain's Menace

oliboyph said:

Gear:

Mount Info:

Enchantments:

Heroic Feats:

Paragon Feats:

Protector:

Tactician:

Conqueror:

Solo

Tanking

Thanks.

Why go Flourish? You'll want more AoE attacks like Threatening Rush or Lunging strike, same goes for when you are tanking. KV is good for the group, but again, you are basically rendering your conqueror build useless by not dishing out any damage.
    Thanks for the info. I went with the Terror Enchantment for now as that is what I had on my main and it was free. I will upgrade when I have AD to make that swap.

As for Lunging Strike that is what I have been using, so I can keep that in there instead of Flourish. I selected Flourish because of the increase in crit stat it has from the feat I selected, which would than allow me to actually get some damage from the jagged blade feat.

As for my resistance ignore, I was aiming for 40% value and than moving over to recovery and power.

It's not particularly hard to get to 60% resistance ignored and you really have to do the math as to how you can get top dps. You really don't need to pressure yourself into getting recovery if you are using a DPS build. It's better to deal the most damage you can dish out now rather than shorten the wait for your next encounter, especially when you consider that GF at-wills contribute a good amount of your dps.

I think the crit chance from stunning flourish is only for the encounter itself rather than increasing your actual crit rate. But if you factor in the actual damage you deal it's only for 1 target and even if you use it for boss you get better damage from other encounters. Normal hits from other encounters will out-perform critical hit flourish easily. It's pretty good in PVP, but I'm not too sure it's good for PVE.
  • Options
    wabber#5907 wabber Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    Check your artifacts the free ones you plan on using are fine, but now that I know you are dps start looking into things like wheel + anything that gives armour pen up to 60%, then power + crit control wizard sigil is nice, other than that I usually choose power over crit, as if you plan to PvP at all tenacity reduces crit chance. Same with gear look at elemental versions as well sometimes they change.
  • Options
    abmaiden95abmaiden95 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    You have completely mixed 2 different build on one, if you want to go conqueror you absolutely mustn't use seldarine and those rings which are for a pure tank build. I would suggest a elol set or orcus set (first one is better if you have low armpen) and switch those rings into suddsn and crescent crit rings. A conqueror GF doesn't deal dmg with recovery.... so raise up that crit switching those disgusting draconic woth azures.
  • Options
    Ps: no vorpal = no dmg
  • Options
    I mainly want to make solo content for me easier but I will still tank mostly in group content. That is why I am building my character as I mentioned above. I don't want to be a DPS in group content.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    You will be able to tank also with those changes i've told u before, that 2k deflection wont make you a better tank. A pure dps gf can easily tank every feature in this game except FBI.
  • Options

You will be able to tank also with those changes i've told u before, that 2k deflection wont make you a better tank. A pure dps gf can easily tank every feature in this game except FBI.

What is FBI? I'm still learning all the acronyms for the various dungeons.

Thanks for the tips on improving my damage.
  • Options

What is FBI? I'm still learning all the acronyms for the various dungeons.

Thanks for the tips on improving my damage.
    FangBreaker Island (the new dg released with mod 10

• Options

I mainly want to make solo content for me easier but I will still tank mostly in group content. That is why I am building my character as I mentioned above. I don't want to be a DPS in group content.

I see what you are getting at now, to be honest, solo content is only difficult for GF tanks at the start. When you have around 2.5k ilvl and most of you boons, solo content is still pretty easy even as a tank. I'm pure tactician tank and I can still easily solo the new campaign location which even some DPS classes find difficult.

Like @abmaiden95 said, you have to make your choice, DPS or Tank. Mixing the two builds is not a good idea.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    oliboyph said:

I see what you are getting at now, to be honest, solo content is only difficult for GF tanks at the start. When you have around 2.5k ilvl and most of you boons, solo content is still pretty easy even as a tank. I'm pure tactician tank and I can still easily solo the new campaign location which even some DPS classes find difficult.

Like @abmaiden95 said, you have to make your choice, DPS or Tank. Mixing the two builds is not a good idea.
    I ran a few different loadouts the last few days and tried them out in skirmishes to see how each held up.

1) Conquer - descent DPS not strong but ok. Overall I would rank it as a solid 3rd DPS maybe in content but not a top DPS from what I have experienced. Very viable for solo content but see how it could be a liability in EPIC dungeons.

2) Tacticians - Buffing tank - ok but when I ran this I had a bit of stamina issues, not much but enough that I knew this path would not work for me. I like it a lot and it sorta reminds me of how I play my DC. I will be taking a few feats from this path but not the path for me.

3) Protector - Name of path states it all. I like how this path is setup. I miss the damage but now I don't have issues with Stamina when guarding, I do a bit more damage when guarding, which is a bonus but clearly not to the same level of damage as a Conquer. Definitely a more pure tank path than the other two.

I decided for now to run a protector. I may swap over to Conquer with changes to be more DPS focus but for now I realize that my gear is designed more for Protector or Tactician than a Conquer. So I went pure tank and will focus on that path.

I am going to go with an even split between Draconic and Silvery on my offensive enchantments. I want the slight increase in Armor Pen along with some recovery and power. The rest will go towards recovery. I believe the enchantments along with my gear will get me close to the 40% mark I want for solo content without too much lose to recovery.

As for defensive slots, I am leaning towards Cruels in my rings and than not sure if I should go for defense, HP, or deflection.

Not changing up my utilities slots as that is simply what I have.

I'm now level 60 and have all the 60 gear so when I hit 61 I will have the same gear from level 61 to level 70, than I can equip my level 70 gear.