test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"The Beast" DPS GF Build

ahrukinahrukin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 31 Arc User
Hey all I am "The Beast" , this is my current build for PVP DPS Guardian Fighter, I don't do much PVE but added my thoughts on it as well, hope you all enjoy!

Offensive Stats
Resistance ignored is the big one here, I try to aim for about 120%, this helps allot in pvp
With all he tenancy players currently have.
After that I focus on mainly power, crit is nice, but because I stack so much power and armor pen
I hit like a truck most times even without crit. The crit just seems like overkill, I would
Recommend focusing on power and AP over anything else.

Defensive Stats
First think I went for here was getting the 40% dmg resistance, this is enough to keep me tanky
Without my shield, and it also helps to buff into the fray, negation also bumps this up to about 60%
After that I try to get my deflect to around 25% and put the rest in HP

SKILLS

Cleave – I do no use this skill, even if you stat into it there is better,

Tide of Iron - This is one of 2 atwills that I switch out, the dmg is minimal , but it does regenerate your stamina, as well it does have a damage resistance rebuff on it. Is a great skill for PVE as the stamina regen is great for long battles when u are tanking . The other skill I use in place of this is Weapon master strike , the 2 are very similar the major difference is in the debuff, with Tide of iron the debuff will apply to all party members , while the debuff on weapon master strike only effects your attacks (for more info on why I use this skill see weapon master strike) . I recommend using this for all PVE content , in PVP I use this only in 1v1 vs GWF , as they don’t move around allot and are easy to hit and sometimes the battles can last a long time making the stamina regen very useful, in other PVP fights I find weapon master strike better as it has a longer and wider range making it more easy to connect, with tide of iron your target must be right in front of you.

Lunging Strike- High dmg , low cool down. It has the longest range of any of the GF skills. can be nice in some PVE to rush from mob to mob , I sometimes use this in PVP against CWs and HRs, as it can be very helpful to close the distance when they try to back away, also its low cool down is nice for building AP faster. It’s not in my main rotay of skills and I rarely slot it in.

Shield Talent- This is good passive to have , it helps for hard long battles where keeping stamina is a problem , it’s good for PVE when u have no DC or pally , in pvp I generally use it for 1v1s vs a GF only.

Villains Menace - A great daily in PVP, I do not have it slotted normally but in a match with lots of HR, CWS and TRS I will sometimes switch it in, the dmg from the skill is minimal however the buff afterwards is very strong, it gives you a large dmg boost, as well it gives you immunity to Control effects, great for 1v1s (can be used for matches where Crescendo can be hard to hit) or coming onto a node where you know you’re going to be constantly controlled or bounced around.

Enforced Threat – Great skill for PVE , it’s a AOE AND it marks all the targets, great for holding mobs on you and regen your stamina . this is normally the first skill I use when I jump into a group of mobs so that they will all stick to me, however it does have a longer cool down so I try to save using it again for emergency situations (as in if mobs are attacking the DC or pally and you need to get them off, or you are very low on stamina ) doesn’t not have much use in PVP, however I will slot it in sometimes when facing a TR 1v1 who is perma stealth, because its aoe it will hit them while in stealth and MARK them, the dmg is not allot, but it can slowly chip away at them as well as giving you that bit of extra stamina which can be useful in long boring snooze fest battles with perma stealth TRS.

Comments

• ahrukinahrukin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 31 Arc User
    Griffons Wrath – don’t like it at all, not worth talking about imo.
    Fighters Recovery - Always slotted for PVE, as soon as you hit it and any other skill you are fully healed or damn near close to it. not used in PVP

Terrifying impact-
    great daily for PVP , always slotted as Daily , it’s great because it interrupts and prone your target/ targets ,its nice if there is 3 or more enemies on a node if you can catch them all in a line you can prone all of them with this daily allowing you and your team to attacked or to bounce them off your DC. its extremely good against other GFs and TRs, against GFs, it does go straight through there shield and prone them, you can hit this daily then follow up with bull charge and anvil . Against TRs, wait for them to use bloodbath and then hit this daily it will interrupt there bloodbath and prone them allowing you to run your bull charge , atwills and anvil.

Knee Breaker-
    Our highest dmg skill! However, I don’t use this in pvp as it is a DOT (dmg over time) and it can be hard to hit as you must be right beside your target and the skill can be used even if there is no target, it can be very easy to miss and it does have a long cool down, I do use it in PVE against boss or large enemies, using knights challenge into the fray and villains menace followed by knee breaker can post some very high dmg numbers .

Enhanced mark
    – I don’t use this as there is better and with our dmg you should have no problem holding mobs.

Guarded assault – I do not use this skill

Supremacy of Steel – I don’t use this skill

Crushing Surge- This is the main atwill that I always use, it does crazy dmg in pvp, it normally hits between 20-40 k . if your target above 40% health then I always use this OVER anvil, and if anvil is on cool down there’s no shame in hitting bull charge and then following up with 3 -4 strikes of crushing surge. Once you get comfortable with the timing of your encounters and combos you want to try and throw in 1-2 hits from Crushing surge between encounters, example, most GFs will simply bull charge then crescendo and finish with anvil, instead try bull charge then 2 hits of crushing surge, then crescendo , then 2 more crushing surge and finish with anvil. It’s hard to get the timing down you may want to start with just 1 crushing sure between each encounter and feel it out from there.

Knights Challenge –
    Cleary the most fun skill we have, once you hit it there a red line from you to your opponent as long as this line is up you deal double dmg to him and he deals dbl dmg to you, can be used in PVE for large bosses. Its great in pvp for killing DCs I replace into the fray with this skill, as well as against most paladins (be carful tho as SOME paladins have high dmg and giving them double can be very dangerous ). If you are on a node or duo q with a pally this skill is nice as well since you don’t have to worry about taking dmg and most pallys get minimal bonus from into the fray.

Combat Superiority – I have this passive always slotted. Because you will stat into this through your feats in conq tree , you ONLY NEED TO PUT 1 SKILL POINT into this (read conq skill for more info) this just gives us a flat 15% increased dmg.
    Anvil of Doom – Our finisher, always slotted in PVP, get your target below 40% and the skill does double dmg, generally that’s enough to kill almost anything or anyone in the game. I would not recommend using this skill when your target is above 40% as it does have a long cool down , its more often better to just atwill, as crushing surge will hit for almost the same amount of dmg and can hit multiple times before the full animation of 1 anvil is completed. This can be a hard skill to hit as you have to be right beside your target, so it’s best to close the distance with lunging strike or bull charge before trying to use anvil.

Flourish - Great skill again, I swap out into the fray and anvil for this sometimes, it hits hard and once you feat into it it will have a higher chance to crit than your other skills and it also prone them for 1 second! The prone is great for allowing you to get in those 1-2 crushing surge hits before your anvil . the skill can be cast even without a target so it will take some practice on timing and accuracy. It can be good VS trs as if u target them b4 they go into stealth the skill will still land even tho they are in stealth. It can also be good against other GFS instead of using into the fray. As well if you are facing a DC it may be a good idea to swap this instead of anvil , as the prone is very effective against dcs. This skill can really tie your combos together and give u time to throw in those extra atwills with the prone .
    Steal Blitz – I don’t use this skill

Weapon Master Strike-
    This is the other atwill I mainly use, its dmg is minimal but it does have a dmg resistance debuff that is very good and after stating into it the debuff will work for your atwills AND encounters. The reason I use this over tide of iron is that tide of iron u must be right in front of ur opponent and if they move they can easily doge it or block it. With Weapon master strike, it has very LONG and WIDE area of dmg, as well it hits a second time from behind, because the second hit is from behind it gets through GFs shield and many dodges so that the debuff is still applied, the debuff also lasts 8 seconds so that’s plenty of time to wait and hit your regular combo.

Into the Fray – Always slotted for both PVE and PVP, I don’t know what more you could really want from a buff, but it increases your run speed,gives you temp hp,regens some of ur stamina, increases your action point gain and greatly increase your dmg, oh and it does this for not only you but ALL party members in your area, it lasts for about 7 seconds and has about a 12 second cool down, which means its up for 7 down for 5 if you constantly cast it. I always use this first before attacking anything, as well if you’re going into turtle mode (just blocking to stay alive) it’s good to cast this so you can gain AP much faster and hit your daily. Get use to using the movement to your advantage, quickly ruing behind your opponent before anvil will give you that combat advantage bonus. The dmg bouns is based off your own dmg resistance, this is why negation works so well for us.
    edited January 2016
    Steel Defense - Great passive, when you hit a daily it gives you immunity to all dmg for 6 seconds, works good in PVE combed with fighters recovery, when you’re on the brink of death you can hit ur daily become immune for the 6 seconds allowing you to get a few shots on your target and fully heal yourself. I sometimes use it in PVP if I find I am dyeing allot, but most often I prefer to go full DPS in which other passives are much better.

Iron warrior- I do not use this at all

Knights Valor
    – I use this in PVE it works really good if you have a pally in the party, pretty much makes your entire party unkillable. It can be risky without a pally as some of the end game mobs hit very hard and if your tanking mobs and taking half the dmg of your party even a BIS GF can go down very quick. I have never used this in PVP

Bull Charge
    - Always slotted for PVP, it’s the perfect skill for a GF , it closes the distance, does high dmg (can hit 40-150k), has a low cool down and then send your opponent flying in the air and finally prone them on the ground for a brief moment. Even with into the fray GFs are fat and slow, so get use to running forward as soon as you cast Bull charge so you can get to your downed opponent with enough time to at will 1-2 times with crushing surge before you drop the anvil. Because of its low cool down you can also use this skill to help out your teammates who are being focused, use it to bounce someone off of them (protect your DC!!!). As well when fighting for the node (especially when its 5 on 5 on mid at the start) it’s really good to use to bounce someone off the node giving ur team that few extra seconds of cap time.

Crescendo – This is the main Daily I use in PVP, it has a VERY long range ( practice with that and use it to your advantage) it can hit someone when you are both on opposite ends of the same node. It does a series of strikes and one final large blow, I recommend making sure u have anvil up and ready to cast as soon as the final blow is hit (maybe 1-2 crushing surge before the anvil ). On a side note currently FEY is the be all , end all weapon enchantment (and I recommend using it) …however in the event that it gets nerfed or you want to try something different I recommend using terror, the debuff from terror is very strong however it only last a split second, using crescendo the first few strikes will proc the terror making the final blow and ur anvil right after that much more devastating.

Steel Grace – I will slot this in sometimes when facing HRs or CWS in a 1v1, or if the match has many hr trs and cws it can sometimes be useful aswell, it decreases the amount of time your are effected by control spells. But again most of the time it’s better to go full out DPS .

Commanders Strike
    - naaa, just naaa , it only effects the FIRST hit your teammates do, so if they just do a small atwill its kind of wasted and it’s too hard not effecting to try and a line all 5 team members to use a particular encounter at the same time.

Desperate Survival –
    This can be useful in PVE when you combo it with Steel defense if you’re doing for full survivability , it adds 5% deflect which is equal to 2000 points deflect. Not so good for PVP as you should be dealing dmg 

Line breaker
    – never use it

Shield warriors Wrath –
    This is the other passive I mainly have slotted for PVP, generally as long as you’re taking dmg you should have your own dmg increased by 20% in 1v1 vs another GF it’s not very effective as they rarely hit you, you may be better off with or skills such as shield talent .

My regular set up of skills.
    PVP –

Encounters : Bull charge , Into the Fray, Anvil of Doom
    Atwills- Crushing surge , Weapon Master Strike
    Dailys - Crescendo, terrifying impact
    Passive – Combat Superiority, Shield Warriors Wrath
    Artifact – Wheel
    With the GF is all about getting all our bonus up then unleashing a large burst dmg combo. FIRST mark your target, then take 5 hits to proc reckless attacker, 5 more with ur shield to proc shield wrath warrior , at this point pop your wheel and depending on how much dmg you have taking either grab water to heal or fire for more dmg, then hit your weapon master strike for the debug, then hit into the fray and once all that’s done unleash hell!
    my regular combo is Mark , weapon master strike, into the fray, bull charge, crushing surge twice , and then anvil .
    I more often use the wheel for the healing effect , if your low on health grab the water and put up ur shield for a few seconds and you should be close to full health.

PVE
    Encounters – Into the Fray, lunging strike, enforced threat
    Atwills - Crushing surge, Tide of Iron
    Dailys – Fighters recovery, Villains menace
    Passive – Steel Defense , desperate survival / combat superiority
    Artifact – Wheel
    If you want to go more on the offence side with PVE I just recommend changing enforced threat for knee breaker or anvil. And spam that FIRE wheel.

Feats
    The feats are pretty much self explanatory, but a few things of note , Take measure located in the conq tree,
    every time GF has temp HP it deals 15% more dmg, so this is why I have 1 point in Grit,
    also in the protector tree I took staying power, this also the dmg buff from weapon master stake to apply
    to my encounters in addition well as atwills , this is why I use weapon master strike over tide of iron.

BOONS

I will say my best advise for PVP is to get in a PVP guild learn how to rotate and work with the team, sometimes when you solo q it doesn't matter how hard you try you still cant win :P

Thanks for taking the time to check out my build!

• jobsalotofworkjobsalotofwork Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 189 Arc User
    Thanks for the build write up.

Strategy stuff is very interesting.
  • scathiasscathias Member Posts: 1,174 Arc User
    Some things to point out.
    If you take the Stunning Flourish you get an extra 5% crit chance on it and you stun for 1 second not prone. there is a big difference there since stuns can be resisted an gotten out of quickly, but while proned an enemy cannot deflect an incoming attack.

Next, if you a 1v1 on a node alone with an opponent running behind your target will not give you combat advantage. You need to have someone on the other side of your target if you want CA like that.
    An addition to this point - GF and GWF marks give combat advantage as well as a damage bonus to themselves and teammates but the only place you mention mark is in your rotation and you never say why. Perhaps add in an explanation of why marking your target is important?

Last, negation does not boost your ITF. Lots of testing done on this and it just doesn't work.

One suggestion, redo your screenshots of your gear/feats/boons so that it is easier tell what you did. right now i need to zoon my browser in 150-200% so that i can see your feats and gear stats without squinting.

Thank you for your build, you put a lot of good tips and pointers in there.
    Guild - The Imaginary Friends
    We are searching for slave labor, will pay with food from our farm!
  • oliboypholiboyph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 627 Arc User
    One thing I want to point out is... your GF looks fearsome as hell!
    "As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann[/quote]
    oliboyph said:

One thing I want to point out is... your GF looks fearsome as hell!

Haha thanks man!!
  • mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    scathias said:

Some things to point out.
    If you take the Stunning Flourish you get an extra 5% crit chance on it and you stun for 1 second not prone. there is a big difference there since stuns can be resisted an gotten out of quickly, but while proned an enemy cannot deflect an incoming attack.

Next, if you a 1v1 on a node alone with an opponent running behind your target will not give you combat advantage. You need to have someone on the other side of your target if you want CA like that.
    An addition to this point - GF and GWF marks give combat advantage as well as a damage bonus to themselves and teammates but the only place you mention mark is in your rotation and you never say why. Perhaps add in an explanation of why marking your target is important?

Last, negation does not boost your ITF. Lots of testing done on this and it just doesn't work.

One suggestion, redo your screenshots of your gear/feats/boons so that it is easier tell what you did. right now i need to zoon my browser in 150-200% so that i can see your feats and gear stats without squinting.

Thank you for your build, you put a lot of good tips and pointers in there.

MArk mechanism on guardian fighter reduce also the damage resistance on enemies.
  • steampunchssteampunchs Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 25 Arc User
    Which black ice armor and dye did you use
  • demon#7728 demon Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Awesome build i will be following this build but u forgot to mention the (str) (con) (dex) (int) (wis) (cha) would love to know what u went with still new to never winter