test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[PC] PvP Solo Queue Event: 9/8-9/15

Comments

• Options
    goodyearbaddaygoodyearbadday Member Posts: 59 Arc User

Ya, this is a great START and should be made permanent.

I suspect that has to do with how the numbers crunch. The end goal might be simply to gather enuff data to make sure that this work properly B4 a permanent roll-out. OR, It could be that they want to see if there are really enuff ppl left that even want to PvP. I am lookin forward to seeing how it shakes out. I really hope it goes well, & this becomes a permanent thing. *crosses fingers while knocking on wood & spitting*

• Options

The pvp fix sounds like a good idea, but probably not enough in itself to stop the deathspiral pvp is in right now. It is still hard to get a match without a bot or six. I was in a match a few months ago where I was the only non-bot.

A whole lot more needs to be done to save pvp though. Other areas that should be worked on include arena maps we need some new ones (I like the idea of event driven special maps like a Protector's Arena for the the Jubalee, and a "Danger Room" style map where both the players and the enviroment are out to get ya), match size (there should be 1 vs.1, 2 vs 2, etc. matches), and a new pvp campaign tree. Moreover there should be pvp events like the Neverwinter Combat League. I think a Protector's Tourney for the Jubalee would be great.

I do agree that item score is an extreamly flawed measure of character ability due to the fact that so many things like boons, mounts, insignias, etc. are excluded from the item score calculations.

Hey! Don't be hatin' on those poor defensless bots! If it weren't for the bot's I wouldn't have the 3 PvP boon levels that I have 0,o
  • Options

dionchi said:

Also there are people who have higher level merchants that can purchase PVP healing potions (not for sale anywhere else that I can tell) and others who don't that don't have access to PVP healing potions, since there isn't a vendor in the PVP staging area (at least for domination) that's what I observed anyway.

Trade of Blades, also the potion seller in the marketplace iirc (across from profession vendor). They cost glory though, not gold (buy PvP pots with PvP currency).

You can use the IWD healing potions, but they don't provide much heal compared to your total hitpoints. Can chug them if you get out of combat alive though.

?
    Last time I Checked IWD pots only worked in IWD pVp area, not dom. or GG. Has that changed

• Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User

dionchi said:

Also there are people who have higher level merchants that can purchase PVP healing potions (not for sale anywhere else that I can tell) and others who don't that don't have access to PVP healing potions, since there isn't a vendor in the PVP staging area (at least for domination) that's what I observed anyway.

Trade of Blades, also the potion seller in the marketplace iirc (across from profession vendor). They cost glory though, not gold (buy PvP pots with PvP currency).

You can use the IWD healing potions, but they don't provide much heal compared to your total hitpoints. Can chug them if you get out of combat alive though.

?
    Last time I Checked IWD pots only worked in IWD pVp area, not dom. or GG. Has that changed

No, undoubtedly it's my error. I've edited.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options

This is hilarious solo Q to save Dom. Gonna end up being 8 fools in pve gear probably not even full gear and I mean missing head leg etc... And 2 4ks smashing them lol welcome the fresh 70 IL 400 into Dom. GG

ANd that is different from what we had before, how exactly? That is the worst case possible, BTW. IF this works as intended? Maybe all the casual players that had ZERO chance of collecting PvP campaign rewards & boons... maybe they have a chance now.

• Options

WHY???????? most of the PVP players wanted to make 5 VS 5 premades possible, like a que group in Dungeons, this solo que does not alleviate the problem for 2k IL vs 4k IL. What is going on in there??? This solo que thing is just lame. Now it becomes a glory hunting ground for those with higher IL to get the best PVP gear faster.

And those lower IL players wanting to go with 5 friends, the group will probably get matched up with premades anyways, so what does exactly this alleviate??

Why? Maybe because, unlike some players have assumed, the 5 vs5 pre-mades were not pumping enuff cash into the economy as people claimed? Maybe because 10 player 5vs5 queue makes PvP MORE exclusive & not less? Maybe because 5 low-geared "pugs" partying up to queue together were NEVER guaranteed NOT to come up against a BiS/Pre-made/endgame team?6

What does this alleviate? The impression that PvP is only for players that have the money to buy the best gear, or the time to grind 4 - 5 hours per day for months. The near certainty that a "pug" group would get stomped by a pre-made team 9 - 10 times in a row.
  • Options

Well, for those, who are BiS solo PvP players it's a nice change, it's much easier for us to kill full party of solo players than duo or trio parties. If you think there won't be "pug stomping", good luck. There will need just one good BiS PvP player (and there are plenty of them) who could change all the situation at that match. ;P

drkbodhi said:

As I said over a year ago... the matchmaking system needs to be associated with the level of the Unlocked PvP Campaign. I have not progressed past 57% in over a year... since many of the record keeping is broken.

That's the best idea I have seen in a while!

• Options
    dodgododgo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 870 Arc User
    i think they arent gonna see good stats what with a new mod drop and people grinding that... i along with most others i guess will be doing the new content (which will be finished in a few weeks.. not testing pug queue... they should have done this in a few weeks time when we have nothing to do (completed new content)
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    The problem isn't ilevel, it's that there aren't enough players playing pvp for the elo system to work properly. An ELO rating is one of the best ways to sort out players. What pvp needs is proper rewards that are at the very least on par with PvE: it should take 15 minutes to farm ~10k rough AD for instance (eg: epic temple of the spider dungeon chest + daily reward), not several days of pvp. PvP also need refinement points in sufficient amounts so that pvp players can upgrade their equipment. Waiting times should also be increased a bit for better matchmaking while this is looked at.
  • Options
    schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    I would propose to extend the soloqueue for at elast 2-3 weeks
    It´s hard to convince the player to respec for PVP in case they just have such a small timeframe.
    In case I run a PVE setup I even won´t consider to take part, since PVP can´t be sucsessfull running a glasscannon build
  • Options
    ltgamesttv#0999 ltgamesttv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,438 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    I'm glad to see the devs are at least looking into PVP options, that's exciting! I think the results of the PVP solo Q will be a mixed bag. Obviously it won't be a 5 second roflstomp by BIS PMs vs random pugs (often sans tenacity and even more often only Qing for AD/Glory). This alone, to some, will be an improvement.

What I think will be frustrating is that the domination format is set up for rotations to win matches. The entire process works around overcapping nodes and then rotating to other nodes to either keep them capped or capping a different node when you've been overcapped. This style of PVP is meant for teams who communicate quickly to accomplish the goal. You have 15 minutes to get your rotations in and get more points than the opposition. Sometimes that means clearing a node by killing the players there, very often it simply means standing on a node till it turns then going elsewhere to help cap.

The most frustrating thing about Solo Q will be this, imho,... clueless pugs, or those who are only there for 600 points. One of the reasons guilds Q as groups (mind you not the only or the primary reason) is to avoid getting some pug who decides when they get 600 points they're done or they think using PVE skills from the pillars is effective, or they're a one shot TR who only cares about their K/D ratio. For people who play to win matches (not just rake in the kills) having players like this on your team, who simply turn to profanity if you ask them to step on node, makes PVP a pug russian roulette. Not even talking about gear here, just attempting to stand on nodes to cap/trying to be a team player.

Pugs may be fine with this however, as the rng will sometimes work in their favor and more people on their team will put their collective IQ's together and find the nodes. Thus they will get wins from sheer dumb luck. So I can see the appeal to people who feel like they have no chance under the current system but perhaps some chance under the solo Q.

The last issue, by extension, is that solo Q does not encourage team play, it also doesn't encourage people to get better. It allows people to garner wins by rng rather than by coordination or skill.

One thing I've discussed with end game PVPers that may not sit well with Pugs/PVEers is the hope that players from other guilds who keep losing by solo Qing and running into Premades will decide to get their own guild together and group up thus making it much more likely to fight an actual Premade vs Premade. In other words, goading other people to form their own premades thus getting better communication/skills/rotations so that there is more competition to be had. The option to solo Q will obviously make this strategy moot.

My hope is that I'm wrong and this Q system will weed out Pugs just interested in AD and give them an outlet to get it, as well as weeding out people just going for Kills etc. leaving the Group Q to be more used by actual premades and perhaps allow a semi- PM syncing solution.

My biggest wish is that the devs will finally, after 10 mods, allow full Premades their own lobby for syncing purposes. If I was extra lucky they'd even allow a leaderboard for Premades and potential prizes for the top groups/players involved (oh if only it would be so).

Thanks for your time.

*Addendum:
    Besides agreeing with what others here have written that a 3 category Q system could work well (i.e. Solo, Duo/Trio, Premade Qs) allow me to make one other suggestion.

Under the current system you get rewards if you get 600 points. Thus you can cap two nodes and campfire it to get your minimum rewards. I would propose that the system be changed so that only the winning team gets the AD/Glory. The reason being is that the current system rewards players for literally doing the minimum possible in a match. If you attach the AD to winning (as it is in a dungeon, you don't get AD or salvageable equip unless you beat the boss) then it will incentivize playing wisely. This type of system will reward players who work as a team for the win.

Thanks again.
    On ambush rings: "How would you like PVE if all the mobs were invisible?"

imgur pics don't work

• Options
    dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    If you see me out there in PvP I will try to be polite, and stab promptly. Please feel free to do the same.
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
  • Options
    ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User

Under the current system you get rewards if you get 600 points. Thus you can cap two nodes and campfire it to get your minimum rewards. I would propose that the system be changed so that only the winning team gets the AD/Glory.

I'll preface this by saying that I'm speaking as someone who stopped PVPing about 9 months ago because of the imbalance in matchups and just overall frustrations of post 70 PVP.

You made a lot of valid points but I do think this particular statement is a tad bit shortsighted. I have been in numerous PVP matches where the 2 teams were so horribly far apart that the scores would be lopsided 1000 to 60 stompings. This had nothing to do with people trying to get there 600 points and move on. Literally, the other team was just so dominating that no one on the opposing team got further than capping once falling far short of the points required to earn AD.

I don't think players should be penalized because they can't realistically compete and can only muster point totals around 600. Not everyone just goes in and campfires it.
  • Options
    lance1967lance1967 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    I have not confirmed this yet, but what I heard from some guild members is some partial pre-mades are making it into the solo queue. Then they kick the low IL/non-pvp geared people from their party which is then allowing other queued solo players to join the match. They keep kicking players out until they get who they want on their team and then roll the other actual solo team.

Again, I have not confirmed this and not sure if that is what is actually happening, but Cryptic needs to take a look at it. One way to stop it is to lock the match (like Tiamat) so no one else can join the match after it starts. I hope this isn't true as it will definitely skew the numbers for Cryptic.
  • Options
    xaansteelxaansteel Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    My vote: excellent. I used to like pvp before it turned into mostly extremely powerful premades, it's nice to always have some sort of role in a match again, for it to be more about skill. Also helps PVE guilds get conqueror's shards without having to suffer through an unknown amount of total smash-fests for 10 shards.

Keep it up, let's make this a beginning to a more enjoyable pvp system for everyone.
  • Options
    rapo973rapo973 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 831 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Yesterday night I've tried the new option once and I didn't have to wait a lot to enter Dom.
    I'm PvE, I can only wear my PvP set, some tweaks here and there and crossing fingers.
    The fight was intesive and quite balanced, a mix of PvP specced players, newbies and someone in the middle like me: at the end my team won 1000 - 950. So it was a good match.
    It was also intesive due to the exchange messages between the group members :D , but I consider it normal.

Generally speaking, I expect that the randomness generates more and more such kind of mix and match. Ofc It may happens that some matches are completely unbalanced, but I don't think it will be so frequent.
    Infact I believe that one of the problem about PvP is the frequency of unbalanced matches. If the frequency is not so high and/or it's drastically reduced, then PvP can have a better future.
    In two words, the new q system is a good step in the right direction and it should be a permament feature of the game as it gives more options both for premade and casual/PVE players.

Oltreverso guild leader
    Maga Othelma - DC | Svalvolo - SW | Dente Avvelenato- GWF
  • Options
    jhpnwjhpnw Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 611 Arc User
    I would like to ask the Devs please remove Drains from Solo Que. Out of 5 matches 1st day I was drained over and over 3 of them 2.7 il running drains against all the players of guilds at lower levels will not give you an accurate assessment. I got the nothings changed im done with PVP more than once yesterday over this.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Under the current system you get rewards if you get 600 points. Thus you can cap two nodes and campfire it to get your minimum rewards. I would propose that the system be changed so that only the winning team gets the AD/Glory.

I'll preface this by saying that I'm speaking as someone who stopped PVPing about 9 months ago because of the imbalance in matchups and just overall frustrations of post 70 PVP.

You made a lot of valid points but I do think this particular statement is a tad bit shortsighted. I have been in numerous PVP matches where the 2 teams were so horribly far apart that the scores would be lopsided 1000 to 60 stompings. This had nothing to do with people trying to get there 600 points and move on. Literally, the other team was just so dominating that no one on the opposing team got further than capping once falling far short of the points required to earn AD.

I don't think players should be penalized because they can't realistically compete and can only muster point totals around 600. Not everyone just goes in and campfires it.
    While I understand where you're coming from, there are two sides to this issue. The one side is that people want rewards even if their team loses. The idea being that if you just want your daily rewards from PVP you should be able to cap a couple points and call it a day for PVP. The other side is that when you want to win because you enjoy PVP or because it is your focus, getting people on your team who only want their daily points in PVP is extremely frustrating. They don't Q to actually compete, they Q only for the rewards.

Let me put this in a different perspective. Let's say that you pug Q'd for a dungeon. So one of your party goes as far as the first mini-boss, dies there, then waits at the campfire until you make it to the last boss. Then they meet up with the group to go into the boss. They insta die at the boss and wait for you to kill him. You would not be happy with this player, most PVEers would even kick him. You most certainly wouldn't think he should get AD or Salvageable equipment for sitting at the campfire, however this is what you're asking for PVP.

This type of "giving" away rewards encourages players to come down from campfire, cap home, run over bridge cap far node, and then die and sit at campfire, or if they didn't get enough points to ask to exchange caps. If you give incentives for capping two nodes and giving up, that's what will happen. However, if you give incentives for winning people will either improve or stop Qing. If you don't aim to improve in PVP, I would say stop Qing. The same way groups who had people looking for their PVE daily by sitting at the campfire would kick that individual for not pulling their weight.

Now, in regards to your "1000 to 60 stompings" the whole point of this solo Q system is supposed to be to prevent PMs forming up and doing just that. So, what I'm discussing here, is how to stop players from just Qing for free rewards into matches they could potentially win with a little bit of effort. If the solo Q is to be effective and fun, imho, then the rewards for the matches shouldn't come with minimal investment. You need to give the teams incentive to actually try, to actually improve, and since the teams will be rng as to whether or not they are balanced, then you need to make winning more important so that people don't just Q with their own ulterior motives besides winning. This is how you curb activities like kill farming, campfiring it, and giving up to ask for caps. You make it necessary to actually attempt to win.

Thanks for your time.

imgur pics don't work

• Options
    vinceent1vinceent1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    to be honest i see many former premadist who are bis now using solo que....

why? why they shouldnt use premade que face another premade? they were asking for premade que for ages, but why they dont use it? i see zero activity in my alliance to form premades for example. please answer
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    vinceent1 said:

to be honest i see many former premadist who are bis now using solo que....

why? why they shouldnt use premade que face another premade? they were asking for premade que for ages, but why they dont use it? i see zero activity in my alliance to form premades for example. please answer

I'm going to guess it's because everyone wants to see what this new queue is like. You do realize that BIS pvpers will be everywhere in PVP? They're not limited to one Q system (people have asked for IL Q systems to be more effective for just this reason).

Not only that, but premades vs premades aren't even guaranteed to go up against each other. This has been the complaint all along. PMs want their own lobby so they can guarantee sync'd Q's. For example, my guild has tried to do inhouses and sync against other guilds where we've spent 2 hours in Q and still never gotten one another.

That said, I think a lot of BIS players will still be involved in Solo Q's because certain classes have a lot of fun Solo Qing. Especially strong classes can potentially carry teams or at least rack up a huge kill streak.

Perhaps this helps to explain.

imgur pics don't work

• Options

Ya, that really would kill off PVP for everyone except the BIS players. Without matchmaking, nobody sane is going to queue up to waste time getting stomped with no reward.

If people are going in just for the measly rewards, then the devs should find a different way to give them those rewards and reserve PVP rewards for people who actually want to PVP and be good at it. PVP is already killed off essentially for multiple reasons. They are trying to be creative and come up with potential solutions.

It's very easy to point out exactly where PVP went wrong. Firstly, tenacity... it should be given to all players freely and not be gear dependent. Secondly, gear/boon gap... having full mythics/legendaries/mounts and rank 10 boons is a huge factor in PVP. Thirdly, never fixing certain broken classes in PVP. For entire mods there will be one OP class that literally wrecks every other class and the devs let it go on for a full mod every mod. Lastly but perhaps most importantly the Q system. Matching 2K IL with 4K IL, matching full PMs vs. Pugs. These are the things that killed PVP.

Rewarding people for playing well or for hoping to improve is not going to kill PVP, it will however remove people who don't care about PVP, they just want a few measly AD for the attempt. I would ask, should you get a consolation prize for not being able to defeat bosses in PVE? Because it's basically the same thing.

imgur pics don't work

• Options
    ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    @tolkienbuff

I totally get your point about people being rewarded for minimal efforts. I'm just not sold that an entire team should be penalized for one player's lack of effort.

To flip the scenario in the other direction, let's say the campfire sitter is on the winning team. He's still being rewarded for minimal effort merely because he got on the better team. Meanwhile, the inferior team has 5 players working their butts off to win but can't get it done. Now they get nothing for their efforts in your system. That leads to people saying "Why the heck should I PVP when i'm not even going to get anything for my effort".

Do campfire sitters ruin matches? Yes. But do I think your system is the best idea? Not really. Do I have a better idea? Not a clue lol. Maybe they should scale rewards based on points earned for your team. So if you do minimum needed and get 600 points but the rest of your team is breaking 1500 points you get the smallest piece of the pie.
This discussion has been closed.