test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

gateway down????

Comments

• kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator

So, Gateway's dead and no official response on the issue. I understand it's a holiday weekend, but the Gateway went down sometime between 1pm and 2pm yesterday, their time, which is a couple of hours before COB. But a game related service going down after COB shouldn't be an issue, what if it were the game servers that died, we couldn't play the game till Tuesday, because nobody can be bothered to go check it cause it's a holiday weekend? I'm pretty sure if it was the payment system that went down we would have it fixed 15 hours ago.

Please treat my information on this as official, as it came directly from Andy, who would post himself, but he is away at PAX West this weekend.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    if was a bug that you couldnt buy preservations-coalescents or enchanted key then 100% someone could break his holidays to fix it.I SEE that they chose what to fix . For me is that is a lame excuse.
    YES punish those use autoprofession but what about some poeple didnt have time to play and have to use gateway to get some rp WITH THEIR HANDS AND NOT AUTO?
  • al0baral0bar Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    server shows green now... just Gateway still off
    Noli temere messorem

Guild Leader "Touched by Knox"
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    kvet said:

It's a game, folks. You can manage your professions through the game client. I know it can be a bit inconvenient, but its hardly the end of the world.

Developers deserve a long weekend just like the rest of us.

Yeah have fun managing professions on 10 toons with just the game client. You will go insane. And yes, it is a game but it's also a game people put money and a lot of time into and for what? To be treated like second class customers and to be fobbed off with a lame apology.
    The game client is a lot easier to use than the Gateway is. It remembers your positions in lists, it doesn't bog down waiting for socket.io requests to complete, it shows all the awards. I use the Gateway heavily, especially on mobile, because I can't always get in-game, but managing professions in-game is preferable by far. I have 20 toons that run lvl 25 leadership constantly and I don't think it's that bad to be honest.
    The game is NOT a lot easier to use than Gateway is. By far, gateway is better ESPECIALLY for profession.
    One login for all the toons.
    For profession: choose one task, click, back page (another mouse button without aiming anything because 'back page' is already programmed to a mouse button), click, back page (another mouse button), ... 3 tasks are done. You don't even need to move the mouse. I set up 3 tasks in less than 2 seconds. If it is mass gathering tasks, I can finish all 9 in 5 seconds.
    No way you can do faster than that in the game. I don't need to remember the position at all after I choose one.

Even choosing the task is faster in gateway because you can page down. In game, you can only scroll down.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • carl103carl103 Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    I'd agree the gateway is faster, but it can be hangy, and has some other awkwardness that makes it take longer than it should.
    Paingiver is not an acurratte or Useful measure of your actual sustained damage output, (i.e DPS), in various ways it lies. For a true idea use ACT. Link below:

https://github.com/nilsbrummond/Neverwinter-ACT-Plugin
  • samaka#2511 samaka Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    I won't argue that the Gateway can be faster than doing professions in-game... but I will say that of all the MMO's I've played over the years, Neverwinter is by far one of the fastest for switching characters once the client is loaded. Heck, switching accounts is also pretty darn fast as you don't need to quit and re-load the client all the time.
    @samaka#2511
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    I was mostly referring to opening boxes, but since I haven't customized my mouse, I still find the client faster. Changing characters doesn't require a login, but most of the time it is faster to switch toons on Gateway - except when it hangs and you have to reload and login and it asks you for a code verify...
    Well in-game has the same issue with the whole "login server timed out" issue... or the dreaded "connecting to login server" message that sits there for nearly two minutes before timing out! :(
    @samaka#2511
  • someonediessomeonedies Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    Gateway is dead
    EU2 proxy is dead

What the *** is going on?
    Rimuru?
    Dead 🔪
    edited September 2016
    kvet said:

I was mostly referring to opening boxes, but since I haven't customized my mouse, I still find the client faster. Changing characters doesn't require a login, but most of the time it is faster to switch toons on Gateway - except when it hangs and you have to reload and login and it asks you for a code verify...

Many mice these days come with the forward and backward buttons for the browser. For those 'generic' mouse, it does not need to customize it. Just saying. e.g. various PCs in my office have those 'generic' mice. I 'need' those buttons for my usual browsing activities. :)
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • socialnomad#0947 socialnomad Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    The gateway is fantastic on mobile for us that are often away from home. SCA and shopping at the AH will be sorely missed by us dads waiting at the mall this weekend.
  • mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

So, Gateway's dead and no official response on the issue. I understand it's a holiday weekend, but the Gateway went down sometime between 1pm and 2pm yesterday, their time, which is a couple of hours before COB. But a game related service going down after COB shouldn't be an issue, what if it were the game servers that died, we couldn't play the game till Tuesday, because nobody can be bothered to go check it cause it's a holiday weekend? I'm pretty sure if it was the payment system that went down we would have it fixed 15 hours ago.

Please treat my information on this as official, as it came directly from Andy, who would post himself, but he is away at PAX West this weekend.
    They don't have internet at PAX West?

I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User

kvet said:

Many mice these days come with the forward and backward buttons for the browser. For those 'generic' mouse, it does not need to customize it. Just saying. e.g. various PCs in my office have those 'generic' mice. I 'need' those buttons for my usual browsing activities. :)
    Just press backspace.

kvet said:

Just press backspace.
    Not all the browser works with backspace key to go backward.
  • stretch611stretch611 Member Posts: 123 Arc User

kvet said:

Just press backspace.
    Not all the browser works with backspace key to go backward.
    Then Right-Click and most browsers have an option to go back.
    @stretch611

Murphster - SS CW | Jennsen Rahl - MoF CW
    Taarna - GWF
    Eowyn - Protector OP | Leela - Devoted OP
    Mara Jade - TR
    Leeloo - Tempt SW | Kahlan Amnell - Fury SW | Galadriel - Damnation SW
    Sturm Nightblade - GF
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    kreatyve said:

I have finally heard back from someone. Unfortunately, the Gateway is down and will not be back up through the weekend, probably not until Tuesday, as Monday is a holiday in the states. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Man, that spoils part of the 2xXP for me. In-game choosing of rare tasks with the most character XP is a non-starter. I am not logging in all my characters every hour, but Gateway made it easy to buzz through them whenever I'd think of it.

It also interferes with a large part of my inventory management for the 2xRP. "Now who had the...?"

Not impressed at all.

Ed: Multiple lost days of SCA rewards too....
    Post edited by beckylunatic on
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    I bet the POS system is working through the weekend and would be fixed if it wasn't
    Yes, of course they'd fix the store, and probably call someone in to do it, possibly even paying them over-time or something to do so. They don't really have a need to fix a non-critical system over a holiday weekend... not to mention the fact that the Gateway is still labelled as a BETA product, so expect issues from time to time?

Complaining about how they'd fix the store if it was down is kind of silly... of course they'd fix it, it is their revenue stream and how they pay their employees and the server and bandwidth costs for the game. Just because the game is free to play doesn't mean the bandwidth is free or the people work for free you know ;)
    @samaka#2511
  • virsalus#4183 virsalus Member Posts: 98 Arc User

Yes, of course they'd fix the store, and probably call someone in to do it, possibly even paying them over-time or something to do so. They don't really have a need to fix a non-critical system over a holiday weekend... not to mention the fact that the Gateway is still labelled as a BETA product, so expect issues from time to time?

Complaining about how they'd fix the store if it was down is kind of silly... of course they'd fix it, it is their revenue stream and how they pay their employees and the server and bandwidth costs for the game. Just because the game is free to play doesn't mean the bandwidth is free or the people work for free you know ;)

And just because the shop is where people actually spend money doesn't mean the rest of the game may be neglected.
  • gonzo991gonzo991 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    How long is the gateway going to be down? Will we get our free roll for the time it was down? 2 days so far? Also is Cryptic going to address the the web security of the gateway by updating there Secure Website Certificate, since last year? They keep pushing new content but they are not addressing the flaws in the old content!
  • putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    I think it reflects their attention to maintaining the product versus collecting income. It's no different than those companies that provide great sales support but are a nightmare to work with for providing warranty support.

The warranty/maintenance is a part of the contract
  • hav0clolhav0clol Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 147 Arc User
    kvet said:

when you decide to figure out how to customise your mouse figure out how to bind a key to activate a macro to toggle on and off clicking in one place infinite times... your box opening finger will thank you for that
  • syrthumbrellsyrthumbrell Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

I have finally heard back from someone. Unfortunately, the Gateway is down and will not be back up through the weekend, probably not until Tuesday, as Monday is a holiday in the states. Sorry for the inconvenience.

kinda screws us out of extra tymora stuff when we cant be in game. hopefully they will rectify that.
    Didn't say it was being neglected, but obviously something happened... with a product clearly labeled as Beta. In software development that usually means expect issues... with games or other online services it is often left on the product far longer than it should be. ;)

Who knows what happened, as there seems to have been no announcement for downtime something bad probably happened right as the long weekend started and the site dropped into maintenance mode. As is labeled as being Beta and as it is a non-critical part of Neverwinter it likely won't get any attention until Tuesday.

Also, as it is a free addon service to Neverwinter... and again, as it is labelled Beta, I wouldn't expect any compensation for lost SCA rolls or any other inconveniences for it being down over the weekend. After all the primary way of logging in, with the actual game client itself, is up and running so you can still log in and do stuff... just not via the Gateway.

@samaka#2511
    edited September 2016

Didn't say it was being neglected, but obviously something happened... with a product clearly labeled as Beta. In software development that usually means expect issues... with games or other online services it is often left on the product far longer than it should be. ;)

Who knows what happened, as there seems to have been no announcement for downtime something bad probably happened right as the long weekend started and the site dropped into maintenance mode. As is labeled as being Beta and as it is a non-critical part of Neverwinter it likely won't get any attention until Tuesday.

Also, as it is a free addon service to Neverwinter... and again, as it is labelled Beta, I wouldn't expect any compensation for lost SCA rolls or any other inconveniences for it being down over the weekend. After all the primary way of logging in, with the actual game client itself, is up and running so you can still log in and do stuff... just not via the Gateway.

Do you usually just take HAMSTER like this without speaking your mind? Holy cow, man. It has been labeled as beta for over a year now. They just don't take off the beta tag so they can use exactly that cheap excuse you are using.

Neverwinter Gateway is currently undergoing maintenance.

Please try again later.

Rimuru?
    Dead 🔪
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    They should just release the API they use and turn the Gateway into an open source app. I would bet anything that, within a matter of weeks, it would be the most functional part of the entire game. Cryptic would quickly learn the sort of QoL improvements players want to see in the game client that way and the entire playerbase would benefit. Won't happen though.
    kvet said:

They should just release the API they use and turn the Gateway into an open source app. I would bet anything that, within a matter of weeks, it would be the most functional part of the entire game. Cryptic would quickly learn the sort of QoL improvements players want to see in the game client that way and the entire playerbase would benefit. Won't happen though.

Keep dreaming. Open source.
    Rimuru?
    Dead 🔪
    Nah, open sourcing anything would open too many opportunities for exploits and stuff.
This discussion has been closed.