test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sword Master v Iron Vanguard in Mod 10

lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
Since I created my GF back in Mod 3 I have always played SM Tactician. I have used various at-wills but for parties the other powers were pretty much the same. Obviously I utilised Steel Defence and Fighter's Recovery but with the change to SD in Mod 10 I decided to use the free respec and went IV for the first time. I read somewhere on this sub-forum that IV was the way to go for tank GFs now. What exactly are the selling points for IV? What makes it better now than SM if at all? My feats are still pretty much the same as before but I do feel tankier. I did eToS as SM Tactician before the respec and it was harder than before Mod 10 but I have very little problems as IV doing the same dungeon. The IV powers don't seem to suggest that I'd be tankier than SM.

Oh and on a slightly unrelated note, although it does pertain to Mod 10: With the DR cap now at 80% am I safe to stack Defense if I don't have any guild boons specifically the Defense one? I wasn't close to that before Mod 10 although I have replaced my Azures for Radiants in defensive slots. My Defense rating was around 12k without Bondings or Ring of Rising Defense. I think that equated to something like 45% DR.
Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.

Comments

• sulajplsulajpl Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    What can i say...
    IV shouldn't make You tankier, though, in mod 10 it has better utility.
    I also DID RESPEC'D for IV in mod 10.
    Ferocius Reation would help you to survive big HEs and powerful AoE strikes dealing 99.9% of everfrost damage.
    Steel Defense wouldn't.
    That's the thing...
  • stark760stark760 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 654 Arc User
    IV suffers without Weapon Master Strike. Threatening rush is cool to mark, but has very limited range now, and leaves no AoE at will, besides cleave. Gonna give a day or 2, but see a respec back to Sword Master coming. Steel defense isn't even going to factor into decision. Ferocious reaction works, but only once every 90 secs at max, and everfrost kills regardless.
  • cilginordekcilginordek Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    Steel Grace and WMS makes SM way better.
  • mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    stark760 said:

IV suffers without Weapon Master Strike. Threatening rush is cool to mark, but has very limited range now, and leaves no AoE at will, besides cleave. Gonna give a day or 2, but see a respec back to Sword Master coming. Steel defense isn't even going to factor into decision. Ferocious reaction works, but only once every 90 secs at max, and everfrost kills regardless.

EVERfrost damage cannot surpass blocking you dont eat it as whole where is the issue?
  • stark760stark760 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 654 Arc User
    In the big heroics, you get 1 shotted, regardless of block. Not every time, but more than enough. Being IV for Ferocious reaction doesn't seem worth it. I'd rather have back WMS.
  • grustislavgrustislav Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    To be usefull agains steel defence, Ferocious reaction should works every 30 sec, not 90. I like IV, but see no real advantages against MM. And that is sad.
  • lonewolfmk1lonewolfmk1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 137 Arc User
    I have made the same experience. I play SM since mod 3 i think and tried IV recently again. But you just lose too much, Steel Defense, WMS, Steel Grace, Crescendo (for pvp) and flourish (pvp). There is a certain pvp build that works quite well, a combination of Griffons Wrath and Trample the Fallen, but thats basically it.
  • wabber#5907 wabber Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    PvP wise : https://youtu.be/ZpkEIicRqXc

PvE wise you feel tanker as you swapped out Azure's for radiants so you have that extra buffer and feels safer.
    Personally I can't live without steel grace movement speed crit and deflect yes please. Wms is also very nice from sm.