test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

AD Nerf - They Forgot About Newbies and Soloists!!!

atreyuu2003atreyuu2003 Member Posts: 35 Arc User
This is to all the Devs and pertinent people:

You really need to readjust your AD nerf of the invocation. What you did was a mistake. Now, new people have absolutely NO way of acquiring AD until they are strong enough to run a dungeon, which brings me to point two. Many people, soloists, like to play alone, and they don't want to be in a group or a party running a dungeon ... EVER! They should be rewarded for playing the game, not being forced into groups, parties, and dungeons. Just because of a few jerks, doesn't mean the game has to be ruined for everybody.

Here's a suggestion: Limit the amount of character slots to two per class. That would cut out all the major Invocation botting and still allow soloists access to AD. If not, as I said, they have no way of getting AD until they make stuff via Professions which takes months and months before they would be at the level to make anything worth selling on the AH.

This was a huge mistake, and you have cut out a large sector of people by doing it. Please review your actions and change them accordingly.

Comments

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Arcane Reservoir
    Reclaiming the Hoard
    Defending the Portal
    Red Wizards
    Biggrin's Tomb
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    If you dont like dungeons, groups and skirms....what does "playing the game" mean to you?

....this is dungeons and dragons afterall.

Plus a character slot cap just means more people making more accounts and wouldnt do anything to stop the flow of ad.
  • qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User
    greywynd said:

Arcane Reservoir
    Reclaiming the Hoard
    Defending the Portal
    Red Wizards
    Biggrin's Tomb

You missed the Ballad of Baphomet, the Underdark weekly. Then again, so did I until a few days ago :)

• urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User

This is to all the Devs and pertinent people:

You really need to readjust your AD nerf of the invocation. What you did was a mistake. Now, new people have absolutely NO way of acquiring AD until they are strong enough to run a dungeon, which brings me to point two. Many people, soloists, like to play alone, and they don't want to be in a group or a party running a dungeon ... EVER! They should be rewarded for playing the game, not being forced into groups, parties, and dungeons. Just because of a few jerks, doesn't mean the game has to be ruined for everybody.

Here's a suggestion: Limit the amount of character slots to two per class. That would cut out all the major Invocation botting and still allow soloists access to AD. If not, as I said, they have no way of getting AD until they make stuff via Professions which takes months and months before they would be at the level to make anything worth selling on the AH.

This was a huge mistake, and you have cut out a large sector of people by doing it. Please review your actions and change them accordingly.

Christ. So screw everyone over for a demographic that they make no money on. Sure.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • sigillmacfinnsigillmacfinn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 111 Arc User
    qexotic said:

greywynd said:

Arcane Reservoir
    Reclaiming the Hoard
    Defending the Portal
    Red Wizards
    Biggrin's Tomb

You missed the Ballad of Baphomet, the Underdark weekly. Then again, so did I until a few days ago :)

All of which are level 60 plus IIRC so the OP is correct that a new "low level" player could struggle generating AD

Many people, soloists, like to play alone, and they don't want to be in a group or a party running a dungeon ... EVER!

Then MMOs are not the games these people should be playing. Let me remind you that one of the Ms in MMO stands for Multiplayer. If that's not something you care about, you've downloaded the wrong game. Luckily, you already announced your "big account" leaving so it won't affect you at all.
    & as it stands for Massive Multiplayer etc etc - how is it that a fix for the broken Training Day mission in the new zone needs you to be almost alone in an instance to complete it?

Give the OP their due - for "new" "low level" players/characters the chance to generate some AD is virtually [if not completely] NIL

..... rolling 1's for over 25 years .....

The Harbingers' Forums - What Class Are You - Search The Neverwinter Wiki

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Low level characters really don't need AD, either.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.

qexotic said:

greywynd said:

Arcane Reservoir
    Reclaiming the Hoard
    Defending the Portal
    Red Wizards
    Biggrin's Tomb

All of which are level 60 plus IIRC so the OP is correct that a new "low level" player could struggle generating AD

Many people, soloists, like to play alone, and they don't want to be in a group or a party running a dungeon ... EVER!

Then MMOs are not the games these people should be playing. Let me remind you that one of the Ms in MMO stands for Multiplayer. If that's not something you care about, you've downloaded the wrong game. Luckily, you already announced your "big account" leaving so it won't affect you at all.
    & as it stands for Massive Multiplayer etc etc - how is it that a fix for the broken Training Day mission in the new zone needs you to be almost alone in an instance to complete it?

Give the OP their due - for "new" "low level" players/characters the chance to generate some AD is virtually [if not completely] NIL

You don't need AD until you're level 70 and even then you can get enough to run campaign zones just from doing weeklies and running leveling dungeons.

The real problem is the absurdly low drop rates for RP. If you're not running a leadership army you're going to struggle to get past r8s, epic artifacts and rare artifact equipment.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    Can I just point out to you that there is no solo content in this game that needs particularly good gear, or much AD for that matter, to complete. Soloists in fact likely do not even care about the invocation change. They likely aren't even aware of it. The limited AD they do get, is from things like Arcane Reservoir and considering they play on at most 1-2 characters, the AD from that is more then fine since there isn't much hassle in doing invokes on 2 toons and if they are legit players then they will end up with even more AD in the process.

As for those of us who make AD from farming dungeons, we ended up with more AD this mod, not less, due to running etos being even more rewarding than running elol used to be.

The only people this nerf really hit were those invoking on large numbers of toons... like 20+. Most people invoking on that many toons were either using invoke bots or were using invoking macros which is in my opinion pretty close to an invoke bot even if it isn't actually an invoke bot. Those people I have no sympathy for, you should get AD for playing the game, not for pressing control I. In fact, were I the devs, I would remove the AD from invoking entirely.
    urabask said:

qexotic said:

greywynd said:

Arcane Reservoir
    Reclaiming the Hoard
    Defending the Portal
    Red Wizards
    Biggrin's Tomb

You don't need AD until you're level 70 and even then you can get enough to run campaign zones just from doing weeklies and running leveling dungeons.

The real problem is the absurdly low drop rates for RP. If you're not running a leadership army you're going to struggle to get past r8s, epic artifacts and rare artifact equipment.
    So until you're level 70 you might not want to use the AH to buy a better Rune or a Weapon or Armor Enchant or a Mount or a Companion or companion items, without having to spend cash-money?

& I used the broken non-AD generating quest in Bryn to demonstrate that an MMO that doesn't allow the MM part to function [despite play-testing??] cannot be used to argue the system works as until they nerfed IWD it was possible to solo most content & not HAVE to team up with people as I'm sure most people play[ed] NW originally to play the game itself, not to join a Guild or play regularly with "other" people which, especially at low levels & "possibly" with limited game experience many players are not confident doing as all multiplayer really means is lots of people running around doing their own thing not necessarily as part of a team!!

The OP's point stands.

urabask said:

qexotic said:

greywynd said:

Arcane Reservoir
    Reclaiming the Hoard
    Defending the Portal
    Red Wizards
    Biggrin's Tomb

So until you're level 70 you might not want to use the AH to buy a better Rune or a Weapon or Armor Enchant or a Mount or a Companion or companion items, without having to spend cash-money?

& I used the broken non-AD generating quest in Bryn to demonstrate that an MMO that doesn't allow the MM part to function [despite play-testing??] cannot be used to argue the system works as until they nerfed IWD it was possible to solo most content & not HAVE to team up with people as I'm sure most people play[ed] NW originally to play the game itself, not to join a Guild or play regularly with "other" people which, especially at low levels & "possibly" with limited game experience many players are not confident doing as all multiplayer really means is lots of people running around doing their own thing not necessarily as part of a team!!

The OP's point stands.

Until you're actually running dungeons you don't need anything but r7s. They're 4k AD a piece. And really you should be joining a guild because it just makes everything easier. You can use the excuse of wanting to solo but like magenubbie said you're playing the wrong type of game. The game is intended to be played with other players. There are plenty of guilds with relatively relaxed requirements that will help you play the game.

I8r4ux9.jpg
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Its amazing the people willing to speak for soloists, like the Fabricant. I wasnt even aware he studied them enough to render an opinon on the subject. Let alone one so willing to pass off opinon as fact.

I can say, as a soloist, he is completely wrong. But not that it matters. just one look at the responses here is all that needs to be said about where a soloists opinons are rated by this community.

I will say this, however, the problem could be fixed if they allowed players to solo queue into dungeons again.
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User

Its amazing the people willing to speak for soloists, like the Fabricant. I wasnt even aware he studied them enough to render an opinon on the subject. Let alone one so willing to pass off opinon as fact.

I can say, as a soloist, he is completely wrong. But not that it matters. just one look at the responses here is all that needs to be said about where a soloists opinons are rated by this community.

I will say this, however, the problem could be fixed if they allowed players to solo queue into dungeons again.

I know quite a few soloists in fact and that opinion was based on how they play the game.
    urabask said:

urabask said:

qexotic said:

greywynd said:

Arcane Reservoir
    Reclaiming the Hoard
    Defending the Portal
    Red Wizards
    Biggrin's Tomb

The OP's point stands.

Until you're actually running dungeons you don't need anything but r7s. They're 4k AD a piece. And really you should be joining a guild because it just makes everything easier. You can use the excuse of wanting to solo but like magenubbie said you're playing the wrong type of game. The game is intended to be played with other players. There are plenty of guilds with relatively relaxed requirements that will help you play the game.

& how long to generate the 4K AD for 1 R7 with no means of raising it at low-level ??

• gphxgphxgphxgphx Member Posts: 184 Arc User

This is asinine. MMO does not necessarily mean people all playing in groups all the time. It is more a reflection of the real world and even role playing of all types of characters and that includes hermits. Saying soloists shouldn't play a game because it's an MMO is liking saying a solitary predator shouldn't be included in a zoo because it's solitary.

It's probably a good bet many of the people who are soloists became so because they ran into other players like you who don't think anyone else's experience is valid unless it mirrors their own. In an effort to remain civil I'll simply say 'Get Over' yourself.

• artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    gphxgphx said:

It's probably a good bet many of the people who are soloists became so because they ran into other players like you who don't think anyone else's experience is valid unless it mirrors their own. In an effort to remain civil I'll simply say 'Get Over' yourself.

Sounds like me. I became a solo player due to all the trolling and newbie bashing.
    "look up the the wiki newb", "go to the forums newb", "Stop asking questions and go do some reading newb".
    I use to be a team player and be helpful. But i mainly solo and play at my own pace now
    and avoid groups much as possible unless i have no choice. And now i like being alone.

but i do try to help some in rare situations when someone is asking question and being
    ignored by everyone even in the guild.

Edit:

but for the ad nerf. I am ok with it but i do wish the invoking was 1 time invoke
    give everything in one invoke instead of 6 times.
    "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."
    "Great men are almost always bad men."
    “If God is all-powerful He cannot be good, if God is good He cannot be all-powerful!”
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited August 2016

urabask said:

urabask said:

qexotic said:

greywynd said:

Arcane Reservoir
    Reclaiming the Hoard
    Defending the Portal
    Red Wizards
    Biggrin's Tomb

The OP's point stands.

& how long to generate the 4K AD for 1 R7 with no means of raising it at low-level ??

First of all, the game designed around the group dungeons, forfeiting them is to forfeit the largest income source, but on the other hand it's also to forfeit the largest upgrade need.

So leaving out leveling dungeons that can easily give you the AD even with a solo mentality, before posting I've tried AR.
    I took my old old HR, mod 3 partial gear that I haven't touched since that mod 3.
    No enchants, no summoned companions (have some random slotted, white and green I have account wide from various promotions), no boons, ~29kHP ( I think in AR it was scaled down to 25k), no enchants at all (not even r5) except the brilliant energy that came in one of the packs.
    Green artifacts, with Bacon of simril purple and Heart of the red dragon.
    The only thing I had that perhaps a solo player wouldn't have is green DC sigil artifact. On the other hand today's EE gear is much better.

And I went into AR, I've done it without much problems, died once in the room before the boss, the boss was very easy. Took me 3-4 aimed shots to kill it and thorn ward I think.

At the end I got 4.5k and it ended up to be 6k+ with the invoke bonus.
    So I think I've earned my r7.

.... and they don't want to be in a group or a party running a dungeon ... EVER! ...They should be rewarded for playing the game....

Just because of a few jerks, doesn't mean the game has to be ruined for everybody.
    Here's a suggestion: Limit the amount of character slots to two per class.

While the OP meaning is clear, there are some contradictions here that I hope is clear (and yes, removed some stuff to make it clearer):

1. You can't ask to be reward for playing and in the same breath say that you wont ever play a major part of the content.

2. Wouldn't limiting for 2 per class because of few soloist will be ruining if for everyone else ? I for example use 8 level 4 chars just for storage and never ever played them nor I will. What right you have to take them away from me because you refuse to do a leveling dungeon that takes 2 min? It goes both ways.

While I loved the AD from invokes, invoked religiously, and would love to see it's return (what will obviously never happen), let be real, invoke AD is not for playing the game, it's for invoking.
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    Again, as I said in your other thread, YOU (you personally) could be making 16000 AD per day without even logging into the game provided your 7 lvl 70 toons also have 9 open professions lots and lvl 25 leadership. I get that you're upset about the invoke thing... I really do.. but it's not the end of the world or of the game. There's still plenty of options for earning AD, even if you don't want to actually play the AD-earning content. Besides, take the long view - daily AD vs weekly AD? This is an MMO, it's not all about instant gratification (if the invoke AD was what was floating you on, then you already understand that anyway) so... stop counting daily AD income and start counting it weekly. You'll fine, with invoking and doing the fairly simple AD earning content, you will end up making more AD than you did with just invokes. The downside is you have to actually play content on your toon.

Except you don't if you have rank 25 leadership... so play the content or contribute to the economy. Either way, there's plenty of opportunity outside of invoking.
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    Also last task in underdark campaign.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    The solution is not that there should have continued to be AD on invoking, but addressing that fact that only a very limited number of Neverwinter's available gameplay activities award AD. If you want to "reward playing the game", then do it wholeheartedly. Don't "reward playing the game but only under these approved parameters".

More quests should have small quantities of AD in their rewards (not just the ones from Maze Engine). AD rewards for Featured and/or Daily-qualified Foundry quests should be brought back, subject to similar diminishing returns as there are on queued content.

Don't be all high and mighty that only dungeons, skirmishes, and certain kinds of PvP are "real" when it comes to playing NW. "Oh but you don't need as much AD as us awesome dungeoneers" is a BS answer when pretty much every single player wants to have access to nice things. You can still want to upgrade your favorite companions even if you are fairly reconciled to the fact that paying for rank 12 enchants would be stupid. You can still want to have your mount able to run really fast. These are not desires that are somehow invalid simply because you don't "need" them. The game is designed to make every single one of us want some kind of shinies.

As for not needing AD at low levels, this is also a bad argument. Starting to earn AD at low levels allows a player to grow their in-game wealth so that they do have a hope of getting themselves some shinies. Waiting until you're level 70 to even try is quite foolish.

@rgutscheradev These discussions are important.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    edited August 2016

So you want people who don't do the content that require high gear to have the same high level gear without the work? You really want to drop DF gear from Sharandar? Come off it. I'm all for sharing the wealth, but you're pushing it to extremes. Sure, give the daily lairs in every campaign 400AD like the daily Maze Engine quest. That's only fair and should have been done a long time ago. Hell, allow adventurer's seals to be traded for elemental seals if you must. But don't start putting solo gaming ahead of group content in an MMO. What's next? Do you want DragonFlight events or heralds that people can solo for the same rewards? Please..

You're setting up strawmen to knock down.

Not a soul said any of that about the same rewards and equipment should be available blah blah....

Opportunities to earn some AD should be available to players who don't want to run dungeons. End.

Neverwinter Census 2017

edited August 2016
    Maze Engine daily quests were worth 400AD (maybe still are?). I don't see any problem with sticking the same on any campaign dailies, or making it scale somewhat to difficulty so Sharandar is worth less than WoD or IWD. Stay Buried almost certainly takes longer to complete than most ME quests. If you don't think that's worth even 100AD for completion, I really don't understand what your problem is with putting small rewards into more places. I never said that a daily quest should pay the same as a dungeon run, but that they really should reward something. A motivated player can scamper around and do all the quests, and someone who'd rather do a dungeon can just continue the same as they ever were.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited August 2016

You're setting up strawmen to knock down.
    Not a soul said any of that about the same rewards and equipment should be available blah blah....
    Opportunities to earn some AD should be available to players who don't want to run dungeons. End.

And there are. Every campaign offers a weekly opportunity. And every daily lair should as well. As I said, every campaign should be equal in that respect. But I see no reason to award more AD than that for relatively trivial and easy content. I really don't. If there were really hard solo instances, then I would have no objection to increased rewards. But there are none to speak of, apart from 2 WoD lairs. Maybe Biggrin's Tomb as well, but that's all. Rewards increase with the difficulty, as it should. We can debate the reward-difficulty ratio elsewhere. This is not the thread for it I think. But the system itself is fair enough.
    Oh please the weeklies are a joke you and you know it. Its far more efficient and you gain far more AD just ignoring them and running dungeons. The community has turned speed running into an art form, in the time it takes to do AR you can queue up and run Cloak Tower twice. So, if they are not an acceptable alternative for the dungeon kiddies why should they be for anyone else?

The problem is, its not some fun filled romp with friends and giggles, and is a far cry from your MMO delusions. Dungeons are run for speed, assembly line style, no talk, no looting, no fun, just follow and hope you can keep up. You wanted to kill stuff? Too bad, the 4k GWF leading the parade killed everything long before you could even finish loading in. That is the reality of this game. That is the teamwork promoted here. The truth is, there are plenty of unsocial players doing it right, by your statements, by doing group content, and they are ruining it for everyone else.

And as long as you make it the primary, if not mandatory, means of progressing. It will be stripped down by players until the fun is completely removed and all that is left is the progression, and done so as rapidly as possible. Is this honestly the spirit of teamwork you are promoting?
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    yes, they do need AD for low level gears for 15 to 60 levels, then all those low level items will sit there unsold unless if you have main character buyin for alts. but these newer players will be SoL until late 65-70 levels.

in my opinion, it seem the devs no longer want any new players when we need "new bloods" when older members in guilds quiting.
    these "quest rewards" to help upgearing wasnt any good when they go to next mission, all they see is more struggle after level after level, and then might be giving up, and if no one helping them, and there are some "rude" players calling them "Noobs" and quoting "they dont belong here" just to drive them away.

mobs need to drop green/early blue gears more often just enough to help them to reach 60/70 levels, otherwise, they wont survive heroic/epic tier 1 dungeons since most other players are running tier 2 and tier 3 dungeons and they cant find anyone to take them to tier 1 and they have no choice but to run in WoD's demon runs for ichors.