test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Oppressive Force vs Maestrolm of Chaos

nathan#8975 nathan Member Posts: 225 Arc User
Hey friends, hoping to get some info about OF and opinions on usage.

Can someone please give me an idea of how OF works in terms of damage ? I understand that it is a dot, however it seems to do a lot more damage than the tooltip suggests, but still not enough for me to understand all the hoopla about it. What makes it so good? Is it the no target limit cap ?

Recently I was tweaking with my rotations to try to compete with a CW that had 700 more Ilevel than I did. I switched OF for MoC and I completely obliterated his DPS.

Since then I have predominately used MoC and mostly maintained first or second in groups on pain giver. With the right party combination, I have had up to 800k dmg crits using MoC, and atleast six different targets at once ( millions of damage )

Does anyone else use MoC? Why or why not ? Also, has anyone tried to focus on damage from dailies, with encounters as a supplement, instead of vice versa ?

My fortune with MoC has me curious about the viability of switching to trans vorpal from perfect dread, dropping twisted for the fire ( AP ) set, and swapping wheel for the DC sigil. Any thoughts?

Comments

• carl103carl103 Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    Since then I have predominately used MoC and mostly maintained first or second in groups on pain giver.

Paingiver lies, forget it exists and get ACT, it's the only way to say how good or bad your actually doing.

But yes Sharpedge gives it massive credit because of the lack of target limit.
    Paingiver is not an acurratte or Useful measure of your actual sustained damage output, (i.e DPS), in various ways it lies. For a true idea use ACT. Link below:

https://github.com/nilsbrummond/Neverwinter-ACT-Plugin
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    Neither MoC nor OF have a target limit. What makes OF good is it also has a decent range. It doesn't really matter if MoC has no target limit if you can't fit a large number of opponents into a small area, where as with OF, the range is large enough to take advantage of its lack of a target limit. Furthermore, MoC takes forever to cast, which means in a high buff/debuff group, by the time its finished casting, normally the targets will be dead. With that being said however, MoC does have uses and is a highly underrated daily that rewards skilled usage.
  • nathan#8975 nathan Member Posts: 225 Arc User
    Thanks @thefabricant. I had susipicions about the lack of target cap on MOC but wasn't sure. I'm pretty familiar with the content I run, so it's not too hard to get most if not all the mobs in position, planning ahead.

But now I think I can switch out OF for larger mob groups ( like that crazy zombie hallway in CN )

Any idea how many times the dot from OF hits, or if each of those dots can activate storm spell ?

Also, any thoughts on how Sigal of the Devoted + the fire elemental set + AP mount would compare against wheel of elementals + twisted + AP mount ?

I'm curious if throwing in an extra 2-3 dailys could offset the damage bonus provided from the twisted/wheel ?
    ( using wheel feels incredibly cumbersome to me. Long cast time, weird pause afterwards, then have to reposition self for buff, assuming it actually works and/or you land on the right one, or someone takes the fire buff. ). I've lost track of the amount of times I've cast it, then tried to stand on fire and it just do nothing.

Thanks @thefabricant. I had susipicions about the lack of target cap on MOC but wasn't sure. I'm pretty familiar with the content I run, so it's not too hard to get most if not all the mobs in position, planning ahead.

But now I think I can switch out OF for larger mob groups ( like that crazy zombie hallway in CN )

Any idea how many times the dot from OF hits, or if each of those dots can activate storm spell ?

Also, any thoughts on how Sigal of the Devoted + the fire elemental set + AP mount would compare against wheel of elementals + twisted + AP mount ?

I'm curious if throwing in an extra 2-3 dailys could offset the damage bonus provided from the twisted/wheel ?

It hits 5 times and each hit can proc storm spell.

As for the AP gain from DC sigil, no it never competes with the wheel for dps. There is the potential for swapping twisted for burning, but the wheel is just too good.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User

( using wheel feels incredibly cumbersome to me. Long cast time, weird pause afterwards, then have to reposition self for buff, assuming it actually works and/or you land on the right one, or someone takes the fire buff. ). I've lost track of the amount of times I've cast it, then tried to stand on fire and it just do nothing.

It takes practice. I'll admit I was once of the piece of mind that I lost more DPS setting up the fire buff, and just used the sigil. But then I kept seeing @thefabricant use it to massively devastating effect. So I kept practicing with it, learning the timing and now it's part of my crazy chicken control wizard combo dance.

It's definitely worth it to learn how to properly work it into your rotation.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
    Its worth noting that if MoC had a shorter cast time and a bigger AoE (maybe the size of astral shield) I would consider it a contender for OF.
  • gildriadorgildriador Member Posts: 231 Arc User

Its worth noting that if MoC had a shorter cast time and a bigger AoE (maybe the size of astral shield) I would consider it a contender for OF.

I agree that MoC have a good potential, I like this daily, I always asked to increase it's AoE, and it's target cap. Your right that it's casting time is too long.

The biggest problem is enemy escape the little AoE while you take forever for casting it.

it's why I don't use it in dungeon, but sometime I like to use it for solo content.

At least, I had a lot of fun using it to replay EE for my boon. Watching trash mobs dying in the air was very funny.

For solo now I like to use different thing. I'm bored with the same old CoI(TAB) Disintegrate,ST,IT with SS and CP.

I hope our time for some change will come...

“He raised his staff. There was a roll of thunder. The sunlight was blotted out from the eastern windows; the whole hall became suddenly dark as night. The fire faded to sullen embers. Only Gandalf could be seen, standing white and tall before the blackened hearth.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers
    @gildriador so true. The rotations bore me to death. With MOC I would say that I generally hit all targets about 80% of the time. They don't escape because I only cast it after dropping IT and then COI or steal time. My favorite thing about MOC is that it perfectly sets up sudden storm.
    Thanks for the tips @ironzerg79 & @thefabricant. Any suggestions on how to work wheel into my rotation more smoothly ?
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    while moving, jump and cast at same time. You will land on fire. Thanks to Fab for this awesome advise.
    !!! Can't wait to try it
  • gildriadorgildriador Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    niadan said:

while moving, jump and cast at same time. You will land on fire. Thanks to Fab for this awesome advise.

For the Wheel, I use @thefabricant tips too.

The 1st time I tried this, I was very bad, my 1st CN run with the wheel was a real shame, other players got my fire bonus all the time. I changed my game settings to activate the wheel with a middle-click on my mouse, for me it's easier to jump with the keyboard and activate the artifact with the mouse and don't miss my cast. After a lot of practice, now I'm very good to jump and activate the wheel.

Thanks to @thefabricant.

“He raised his staff. There was a roll of thunder. The sunlight was blotted out from the eastern windows; the whole hall became suddenly dark as night. The fire faded to sullen embers. Only Gandalf could be seen, standing white and tall before the blackened hearth.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers
    I got it right on my first try. WOW what a difference that is. So much faster and more fluid. I can't wait till next week when I can get this puppy to mythic