Install Arc
Options

Best companions?

2»

Comments

• Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User

niadan said:

Read Sharpege's guide. Ignore peeps stating Fire Archon is waste, and educate yourself on upcoming Combat Advatage Companion changes.

I run:

Fire Archon summoned
    Wild Hunt
    Air Archon
    Siege Master
    Yeti

TELL us why fire archon is the best. MAYBe THE Answer is on bug section?

How a companion give its bonus at 50% health of monsters or boss and also the caramaderie proc sucks because he hit like an oldman very slow.

siege master perma 4% damage > fire archon.
    wild hunt rider > fire archon
    combat advantage companions > fire archon
    critical severity companions > fire archon
    air archon > fire archon
    even earth archon> fire archon. is not hard with lifesteal to be full health against enemies.
    not to mention that also paranoid delusion > fire archon.

ALL above in terms of the active bonus. i dont need fabricant to read the tooltips.

OK if you still believe fire archon is viable run with me but the fire archons will not use sudden or brutality.
    If you reading the tooltips to judge things in this game, you will end up with a terrible toon. Why do people use the fire archon? Well, because firstly, it has 3 offense slots (required). Secondly, it has a ranged attack which is quite quick and allows you to enter combat with the bonus up. Thirdly, it has the stats power/crit/arp (which are good for a CW) as its base stats. Fourthly, it has a decent bonus.

Now, lets look at the others for an active bonding proccer.

1) Air Archon? terribly slow, not even an option.

2) Wild Hunt Rider? Not 3 offense slots.

3) CA Companions? No 3 offense slots and in mod 10 the bonus sucks.

4) Critical severity companions? Same as CA companions with regards to the bonus. If you bad at math, its not my fault.

5) Paranoid delusion? Can't control bosses, you don't even get any bonus against them.

6) Siege master? Not 3 offense slots.

So, please explain to me where is the fault in my reasoning? A damage bonus against monsters at 50% or less HP can be treated as roughly half as effective as half the time it isn't active, which means its a 3.5% damage boost which means its still better than crit sev companions and CA companions.

As for that whole camaraderie thing, At max stacks of camaraderie I get slightly more than 2k power vs having no camaraderie at all, so, please explain to me, how that 2k power is better than the bonus from losing an offense slot on the companion for a bonding runestone? Oh right, you can't.
    ribbs1 said:

I still want to know how Sharpedge gets his Wild Hunt Rider to 10% chance. It's supposed to be 5% chance at Epic.

Corrected that section. However, its good at blue, let alone epic, since the bonus stacks time and procs per target hit not per encounter used, as well as multiprocs on dots.
    AIR archon is slighest slower to proc the bonding. EVEn if fire archon had a bonus similar to air archon i wouldnt use brutality on it since is not working as intented.
    AIR archon is the best companion for any dungeon for any boss fight. Caramaderie is another power source
    Which you will appreciate it when you stop use brutalities on fire archon.
    I don't use brutalities on fire archon. My *POINT* is that air archon is literally the worst companion for proccing bonding stones. You want to know how a dungeon will look like if you run with me? This is how it will look. We will enter a room, my fire archon will proc bondings. I will use 1 ability and everything will be dead. You won't even hit anything. I am perfectly fine with running air vs fire as well honestly.
    ONE ability ? DUO not even pt. YOU and me.

Duo isn't a realistic party situation, since you will normally play with a group of 5 when you do dungeons and I was basing the 1
    shot a group of monsters off a party of 5, where you have buffers and debuffers. However, I would be willing to do a run with you regardless. How about a duo run and then a run with a group of 5?

You want to know how a dungeon will look like if you run with me? This is how it will look. We will enter a room, my fire archon will proc bondings. I will use 1 ability and everything will be dead.

True...in non epic dungeons.
    In epic dungeons as well, with any remotely good group.
  • Options
    mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User

niadan said:

Read Sharpege's guide. Ignore peeps stating Fire Archon is waste, and educate yourself on upcoming Combat Advatage Companion changes.

I run:

Fire Archon summoned
    Wild Hunt
    Air Archon
    Siege Master
    Yeti

How a companion give its bonus at 50% health of monsters or boss and also the caramaderie proc sucks because he hit like an oldman very slow.

air archon > fire archon
    even earth archon> fire archon. is not hard with lifesteal to be full health against enemies.

ALL above in terms of the active bonus. i dont need fabricant to read the tooltips.

OK if you still believe fire archon is viable run with me but the fire archons will not use sudden or brutality.
    If you reading the tooltips to judge things in this game, you will end up with a terrible toon. Why do people use the fire archon? Well, because firstly, it has 3 offense slots (required). Secondly, it has a ranged attack which is quite quick and allows you to enter combat with the bonus up. Thirdly, it has the stats power/crit/arp (which are good for a CW) as its base stats. Fourthly, it has a decent bonus.

4) Critical severity companions? Same as CA companions with regards to the bonus. If you bad at math, its not my fault.

5) Paranoid delusion? Can't control bosses, you don't even get any bonus against them.

So, please explain to me where is the fault in my reasoning? A damage bonus against monsters at 50% or less HP can be treated as roughly half as effective as half the time it isn't active, which means its a 3.5% damage boost which means its still better than crit sev companions and CA companions.

As for that whole camaraderie thing, At max stacks of camaraderie I get slightly more than 2k power vs having no camaraderie at all, so, please explain to me, how that 2k power is better than the bonus from losing an offense slot on the companion for a bonding runestone? Oh right, you can't.
    ribbs1 said:

I still want to know how Sharpedge gets his Wild Hunt Rider to 10% chance. It's supposed to be 5% chance at Epic.

Corrected that section. However, its good at blue, let alone epic, since the bonus stacks time and procs per target hit not per encounter used, as well as multiprocs on dots.
    AIR archon is slighest slower to proc the bonding. EVEn if fire archon had a bonus similar to air archon i wouldnt use brutality on it since is not working as intented.
    AIR archon is the best companion for any dungeon for any boss fight. Caramaderie is another power source
    I don't use brutalities on fire archon. My *POINT* is that air archon is literally the worst companion for proccing bonding stones. You want to know how a dungeon will look like if you run with me? This is how it will look. We will enter a room, my fire archon will proc bondings. I will use 1 ability and everything will be dead. You won't even hit anything. I am perfectly fine with running air vs fire as well honestly.

Duo isn't a realistic party situation, since you will normally play with a group of 5 when you do dungeons and I was basing the 1
    shot a group of monsters off a party of 5, where you have buffers and debuffers. However, I would be willing to do a run with you regardless. How about a duo run and then a run with a group of 5?

You want to know how a dungeon will look like if you run with me? This is how it will look. We will enter a room, my fire archon will proc bondings. I will use 1 ability and everything will be dead.

DUo indeed is the best comparison. IT shows how well you use your own build-powers.
    IN a pt maybe i will do ice knife with itf and you will not or the opposite.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

niadan said:

I run:

Fire Archon summoned
    Wild Hunt
    Air Archon
    Siege Master
    Yeti

air archon > fire archon

ribbs1 said:

DUo indeed is the best comparison. IT shows how well you use your own build-powers.
    Duo is not the best comparison, because it allows things to occur that would normally not. For example, in a group of 5, you aren't able to take advantage of frozen power transfer, because you know, you never get that 3rd cast of chilling cloud. In a group of 2, you might, but it doesn't matter if you can use it in a group of 2, because you don't have time to use it in a group of 5 and you never ever play in a group of 2. The same is true of the storm pillar bonus and a bunch of other stuff. A group of 5 shows how well your choices perform in a party situation, which is the only situation that matters.
  • Options
    dravendrow76dravendrow76 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 38 Arc User
    @sharp please don´t be part of a HAMSTER-measuring contest. It´s beneath your dignity. Love your guids love your style, but can´t stand why you condescend to this. Thunderdome, two men enter one man leave^^
  • Options
    edited August 2016

@sharp please don´t be part of a ****-measuring contest. It´s beneath your dignity. Love your guids love your style, but can´t stand why you condescend to this. Thunderdome, two men enter one man leave^^

Sorry, its just every time I read something by mamalion, I see red. His style of writing irritates me to no end.
  • Options
    dravendrow76dravendrow76 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 38 Arc User
    so for me in german Forum, thats why i switched to US. Don´t make the same mistake, stay superior by facts and share them^^
    Thx for all the work! Respect
  • Options
    hmdq#4491 hmdq Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    edited August 2016

@sharp please don´t be part of a ****-measuring contest. It´s beneath your dignity. Love your guids love your style, but can´t stand why you condescend to this. Thunderdome, two men enter one man leave^^

Sorry, its just every time I read something by mamalion, I see red. His style of writing irritates me to no end.

@thefabricant Maybe English is not the native language (It is not mine for example!) of it and perhaps to confront him you will only appear to be arrogant. Maybe even touches the famous logical fallacies, " the fallacy fallacy"; "personal incredulity"; or even the "the texas sharpshooter" :-) Need not conflict, just argue and follow the way of expressing others, because we are not always talking to someone with the same culture, education or even intelligence. My five cents!
  • Options
    edited August 2016

niadan said:

I run:

Fire Archon summoned
    Wild Hunt
    Air Archon
    Siege Master
    Yeti

air archon > fire archon

ribbs1 said:

Duo is not the best comparison, because it allows things to occur that would normally not. For example, in a group of 5, you aren't able to take advantage of frozen power transfer, because you know, you never get that 3rd cast of chilling cloud. In a group of 2, you might, but it doesn't matter if you can use it in a group of 2, because you don't have time to use it in a group of 5 and you never ever play in a group of 2. The same is true of the storm pillar bonus and a bunch of other stuff. A group of 5 shows how well your choices perform in a party situation, which is the only situation that matters.
    I Will suggest something else since i see vs trash mobs the results lies 80% of the time. I ended up many times to cover noticeable differences. For example i came back once from -40m in a edemo to +30m.
    Very rare to see me fight trash monster serious. SO are you in for vs talgath-ctylar-orcus ?
  • Options

niadan said:

I run:

Fire Archon summoned
    Wild Hunt
    Air Archon
    Siege Master
    Yeti

air archon > fire archon

ribbs1 said:

I Will suggest something else since i see vs trash mobs the results lies 80% of the time. I ended up many times to cover noticeable differences. For example i came back once from -40m in a edemo to +30m.
    Very rare to see me fight trash monster serious. SO are you in for vs talgath-ctylar-orcus ?
    I will take the advice @dravendrow76 and not participate in epeen racing.
  • Options
    nathan#8975 nathan Member Posts: 225 Arc User
    Get s grip folks. You get irritated by posts of his because they sound arrogant ? I think a bit of ego is justified by now, if it weren't then you wouldn't be following his posts.
  • Options
    ulthgrimulthgrim Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    I pick things up I put them down....... oops sorry wrong thread ;)

I believe the better question would have been, what companions synergize well with the control wizard. There are quite a few that do and everyone is going to have their favorite to champion. Choose which one YOU think is going to synergize well with your build and play style and go from there. Everyone's opinion is just that, an opinion, in the end its your decision and your money, choose wisely.
    Post edited by ulthgrim on
  • Options
    greyhawk#1973 greyhawk Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    It's frustrating to me that Fire Archon is the ONLY viable option now, for most dps classes. Before it was a sea of Mercenarys (I'm on Xbox), and now's it a sea of Fire Archons. I get why it's the best I just wish there was more choice...

I'm using a Pseudodragon for the moment, cause it fits the aesthetic I want of a wizard and his familiar. I know at some point I'll have to switch to Fire archon but I like the 3 off slots and 2 ring slots of the Pseudodragon. I know he dies a lot :( but I don't want to be like every one else.

*Sigh*

Edit: fixed some auto corrects
  • Options
    nathan#8975 nathan Member Posts: 225 Arc User
    I think there are other viable options, but I am loving my fire archon RN. I was using the spell sword companion ( I think 3x power slots and 3+ rings ). I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Lillend is 3x offense And 2 or 3 rings as well.

What I'm trying to figure out lately is if fire archon, etc. will collectively out parse a shadow demon. I've seen several people claim their SD adds over ten million dmg to their pain giver chart
  • Options
    greyhawk#1973 greyhawk Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    I've heard Shadow Demon hits like a truck and I have one on my HR but I haven't played with it yet. I fear it's not as good only because it's just another melee comp and will die a lot.
  • Options
    carl103carl103 Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    I've seen several people claim their SD adds over ten million dmg to their pain giver chart

Forget the paingiver chart, it's completely worthless for judging how much damage your doing, get ACT and use that. Short version, even good companions have garbage actual DPS, their benefits are in their passives and their stats provided via bonding runestones.

I've heard Shadow Demon hits like a truck and I have one on my HR but I haven't played with it yet.

Complete and utter waste, as noted DPS will be nowhere and HR aren;t deflecting much of anything in group content so even if the ICD didn't make it nearly worthless it still wouldn't be doing anything for you.
    Paingiver is not an acurratte or Useful measure of your actual sustained damage output, (i.e DPS), in various ways it lies. For a true idea use ACT. Link below:

https://github.com/nilsbrummond/Neverwinter-ACT-Plugin
  • Options

It's frustrating to me that Fire Archon is the ONLY viable option now, for most dps classes. Before it was a sea of Mercenarys (I'm on Xbox), and now's it a sea of Fire Archons. I get why it's the best I just wish there was more choice...

I'm using a Pseudodragon for the moment, cause it fits the aesthetic I want of a wizard and his familiar. I know at some point I'll have to switch to Fire archon but I like the 3 off slots and 2 ring slots of the Pseudodragon. I know he dies a lot :( but I don't want to be like every one else.

*Sigh*

Edit: fixed some auto corrects

I DO not care i am playing the game as intended. AND now thinking about i will remove also the brutality from my character sheet.
  • Options
    oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    I guess I missed something - why is the fire archon better than anything else these days? My shadow demon does 5m damage in a CN run and I seem to stack companion buffs fine.

What did I miss :)
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    I think his dot is refreshing Sudden Rings, so you keep the bonus up the entire fight.

4000 of a stat times 185%...
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    yea, i tried that and only got 8 seconds of the buff....may need to try it again but the shadow demons damage seems to be more useful.
  • Options
    crizpynutzcrizpynutz Member Posts: 349 Arc User

I think his dot is refreshing Sudden Rings, so you keep the bonus up the entire fight.

4000 of a stat times 185%...

Is that truth or rumor? I haven't actually tried the sudden rings myself, but hadn't heard that one yet.
  • Options
    iwarturtles#3611 iwarturtles Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    What rings and amulet do i put on my fire archon?
  • Options
    edited August 2016

niadan said:

I run:

Fire Archon summoned
    Wild Hunt
    Air Archon
    Siege Master
    Yeti

air archon > fire archon

ribbs1 said:

I will take the advice @dravendrow76 and not participate in epeen racing.
    words words words action man. accept the challenge.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    i HAve to APOLogize to some players my intention is not to flame anyone. Its the disappointment, cryptic doesnt stop power creep. After some thoughts i realised bondings runestones r12 are more an issue than a brutality ring. players reaching to a power level making features and other stuff meaningless.

I am also dissapointed pointing finger to class buffs or debuffs and they nerf them but at the same time bonding is ok to be permanent +285% stats on any character.

ironzerg and fabricant mention it many times the issue with bondings and made suggestions. BUT devs touched only the classes.

I AM dissapointed my magic missiles because i am locked on a demogorgon last fight can finish 10% of the boss life when everyone dropped dead. YES it happened 2-3 times. WE have many power all the players.

SO what to do to have fun.

AN idea no companion and 4 supports around me. a 5 man job feeling.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    Don't participate in the power creep. You don't have to. At the end of the day, obtaining a relatively high level of power without having to go overboard on stuff is completely doable.

It drives me up a wall when I hear people use the word "viable". Of course it's "viable" to use any pet you want with Bonding Runestones. It's viable to use an augment if you don't want to deal with that HAMSTER. Don't get so deep in the "optimal" weeds that you stop having fun.

Heck, this weekend I dropped Disintegrate out of my rotation to go back to throwing Shard of the Elemental Avalanche around for a while. Optimal? No. Viable? Yes. And was bowling for bad guys hilariously fun again? Of course!

So when you read all this stuff about builds and theorycrafting, embrace the theory and understand WHY something is the way it is, but don't instantly feel like if you don't do it exactly like that, you're doing it wrong.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    craoluscraolus Member Posts: 80 Arc User

• Options
    ulthgrimulthgrim Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    Currently playing with Life Steal setup with the Acolyte of Kelemvor, fun and different.