test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Neverwinter needs more appealing fashion choises

brun2000brun2000 Member Posts: 244 Arc User
Hello, I am here to talk about the current state of fashion in the game and why it should be changed.

As a person that cares about how his character looks, this game has been lacking a lot since forever, even though we were promised LONG ago that we would get more costumes and variety, especially as way to make an AD sink, which never happened, I don't even know what happened to those promises.
The costume choises we have right now are about the same as 2 years ago (exagerated), barely anything has changed, we still have things from the utter awful ice wind costumes to the only thing that is near good looking as the trade bar costumes.
It also seems like crypic isn't taking fashion seriously anymore, I mean... what are those costumes from the summer event? we had the bad ones from last year, this year we had an even worse (cooker???) costume. If the idea was to keep us in the event, you could have done a lot more than the ball, just by making the costumes good looking and not a joker thing that noone is ever going to use.

We all know that cryptic is capable of doing absolutely beatiful landscapes and you have shown your worth a bit more in the seal armor (imo), but once you go up a bit, the higher ranked armors are once again awful!
Personally, I think the childish approach to costumes needs to change a bit, I know a lot of people that like to take seriously the way the character looks and it is really hard to make something decent in the state of the game and making more useless leaf costumes or ice swords isn't going to change that.
I know that this is a D&D game, but it is not a realistic game, you don't need to stick to clunky armor because of the lore!

Here are some suggestions that I think could be added to the game without being too much for the art style:

Those are taken from a game called Aion, which also has dragons as their mithical creatures, even though not the same way, these are just examples and would obviously have to be changed to fit the game.
What do you think? Do you like the not so serious costumes more or would you prefer a different approach?
Tagged:

Comments

• samaka#2511 samaka Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    I agree 100% that the game could use more fashion choices, also as I mentioned in a thread under the Player Feedback forum I think it would be great if they removed the gender restrictions and allowed us the freedom to wear whichever version of the fashion clothing we desired. I mostly wanted that option so I could have more choices available since we are so limited in our choices, that and some of the female versions are just too sexualized... jester and courtesan outfits for example!

More fashion items is always a great option, in my opinion. Somehow I managed to get all 8 of my characters set up with a unique fashion outfit each... but did that take some time going through the limited options available and trying to find the one that fit the personality for each of them! :D
    @samaka#2511
  • misquamacus2misquamacus2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 193 Arc User
    One of the main reasons I finished all the Masterworking was to get some new fashion (the alchemy fashion looks nice btw)

• rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    brun2000 said:

Hello, I am here to talk about the current state of fashion in the game and why it should be changed.

As a person that cares about how his character looks, this game has been lacking a lot since forever, even though we were promised LONG ago that we would get more costumes and variety, especially as way to make an AD sink, which never happened, I don't even know what happened to those promises.
    The costume choises we have right now are about the same as 2 years ago (exagerated), barely anything has changed, we still have things from the utter awful ice wind costumes to the only thing that is near good looking as the trade bar costumes.
    It also seems like crypic isn't taking fashion seriously anymore, I mean... what are those costumes from the summer event? we had the bad ones from last year, this year we had an even worse (cooker???) costume. If the idea was to keep us in the event, you could have done a lot more than the ball, just by making the costumes good looking and not a joker thing that noone is ever going to use.

We all know that cryptic is capable of doing absolutely beatiful landscapes and you have shown your worth a bit more in the seal armor (imo), but once you go up a bit, the higher ranked armors are once again awful!
    Personally, I think the childish approach to costumes needs to change a bit, I know a lot of people that like to take seriously the way the character looks and it is really hard to make something decent in the state of the game and making more useless leaf costumes or ice swords isn't going to change that.
    I know that this is a D&D game, but it is not a realistic game, you don't need to stick to clunky armor because of the lore!

Here are some suggestions that I think could be added to the game without being too much for the art style:

Those are taken from a game called Aion, which also has dragons as their mithical creatures, even though not the same way, these are just examples and would obviously have to be changed to fit the game.
    What do you think? Do you like the not so serious costumes more or would you prefer a different approach?

these costumes are gorgeous
  • arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    brun2000 said:

that black dragon can be done some similar in nw use the golden shield articact and black dye, blue eyes would be nice( but nwo hasnt have that yet) if shields could have weapon enchantment(like terror/plaguefiresfor the blues eyes)
  • brun2000brun2000 Member Posts: 244 Arc User
    arcanjo86 said:

that black dragon can be done some similar in nw use the golden shield articact and black dye, blue eyes would be nice( but nwo hasnt have that yet) if shields could have weapon enchantment(like terror/plaguefiresfor the blues eyes)

The shields are probably the lesser problem here, I really like some of the art they put on them, but for regular swords/daggers/orbs, there isn't much of a choise, in fact, I'm still using the daggers from a plaguefire event in the first or second mod, I haven't found anything as good since, the daggers they make now are oversized and quite bland.
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    The visual customization in Neverwinter as a whole is awefully limited. Especially given how awesome both CO and STO are with their character customization mechanics, I just can't grok how badly Cryptic missed the boat on character customization in Neverwinter. It's pathetic really, but they'll never change it since removing a revenue stream is a non-starter, even if it shouldn't have been so strongly monetized in the first place. But no one has ever accused Cryptic of making business decisions based on customer desires... so while you won't find the community in disagreement about making improvements to character customization features, I wouldn't hold your breath or make the mistake of thinking threads like this matter at all to Cryptic (even if the smart folks in the dev area happen to agree).
  • valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    At least for the Wizard with the upcoming gear......the boots, if color'd correctly....looks like a pair of Nikes. Seems to go nicely with many outfits. :)
    kvet said:

The visual customization in Neverwinter as a whole is awefully limited. Especially given how awesome both CO and STO are with their character customization mechanics, I just can't grok how badly Cryptic missed the boat on character customization in Neverwinter. It's pathetic really, but they'll never change it since removing a revenue stream is a non-starter, even if it shouldn't have been so strongly monetized in the first place. But no one has ever accused Cryptic of making business decisions based on customer desires... so while you won't find the community in disagreement about making improvements to character customization features, I wouldn't hold your breath or make the mistake of thinking threads like this matter at all to Cryptic (even if the smart folks in the dev area happen to agree).

Which revenue stream would they be removing?

@samaka#2511
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    I'd be happy if I could just remove armor enchantment visuals...even if just while on the fashion tab. PVPers would be up in arms because, you know, they have this magical ability to adapt on the fly to opponents with different armor enchantments (/sarcasm), but then fine - turn them on when combat starts or when flagged for PVP only.

Those AION sets look awesome for sure. NWO seems to have this addiction to more bland colors (even white isnt white), so many go for black stuff. NWO also goes for more practical stuff I guess....

I don't see MAJOR changes coming to this game any time soon, like new armor graphics and weapons, new areas or new classes - I don't know that they have the resources for this at the time (unless they are already in storage). Thus, we get recycled Black Ice stuff for Mod 10. I hope I am wrong. I always preview the green and blue drops from new mods, and get disappointed that they are all reskins.....the new gear in Mod10, at least for HR, doesnt really seem to shock either.
  • gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    Definitely. Fashion is something I would spend money on, much more than refining...
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
    edited August 2016

Those AION sets look awesome for sure. NWO seems to have this addiction to more bland colors (even white isnt white), so many go for black stuff.

The problem seems to be that some items have color baked into the texture, while other items seem to use the shaders to recolor the item on the fly. I don't know if it is because some items were made incorrectly, or perhaps before the dying system was implemented, but I would imagine it would take too much time to go back and correct these broken items.

Example, I have a shield that if you use the white dye on it essentially changes the accent channel to a gold color, and the other two channels only lighten themselves a tiny bit from the default... instead of actually changing the channel to white.

I think also, perhaps, for the items that do seem to dye correctly but are still off... I'd guess it is some sort of material effect that makes white seem off-white. Also, I think it may also be affected by other things you are wearing with the piece. The Sunite top, for example, seems to adopt different off-white shades depending on what else it may be worn with.

I think the dying system in this game is great... the ability to arbitrarily dye any item any color... it is just a real shame that we only have access to a fraction of that power, and what access we do have is severely limited! :(
    @samaka#2511
    edited August 2016

Appearance Change token. Mind you, I'm not saying people actually buy that thing very often, but when has Cryptic really made business decisions based on actual data anyway?

kvet said:

Appearance Change token. Mind you, I'm not saying people actually buy that thing very often, but when has Cryptic really made business decisions based on actual data anyway?

Appearance change token would be used much more if their character creator wasn't so limited. You basically change the hair, add some face effects and everything else looks the same, it makes almost no difference, they didn't even bother to give us a hight slider, which is one of the most important.
    Well, technically you can change the length of your legs... which does change the height an inch or two! ;)

Sorry, @kvet, I was thinking fashion not character appearance. I am not sure how often those are bought, the token doesn't give you anything extra over character creation, so unless someone really borked character creation there really wouldn't be much of a point in the token... now, if the token actually offered something beyond the original creation process, that would be another issue I guess.
    @samaka#2511
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited August 2016

so unless someone really borked character creation there really wouldn't be much of a point in the token... now, if the token actually offered something beyond the original creation process, that would be another issue I guess.

Honestly, a surprising number of people use appearance changes to sport a different hairstyle (especially when the devs add a new one). Some of them might restrain themselves to only do so when we get the token as a free gift though.

I've had to adjust body proportions on a few characters that looked fine in the preview armor/underwear, but not when they were out running around. When I've spent that long getting their face perfect but have a problem with feet-too-small or HAMSTER-too-big, I'd rather fix it with a token than start over.

I've also had to fix one character because Cryptic spontaneously patched his beard to a different colour, which they're apparently doing to some people's characters again in M10....

Edit: Puritanical filter, your objection to the correct anatomical terms for a woman's chest parts is ridiculous. I'm not being vulgar, *you're* being vulgar.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    I was going to say... ****-too-big... I didn't think they had sliders for that! ;)

Seriously though, I hate filter software, it often filters things that shouldn't be filtered, like in this case!

Actually, I did use my one free change token to tweak my wood elf, I had forgotten about that.

As for hair-styles, those should just be changeable via a barber in-game, but there goes that revenue stream then! :(
    @samaka#2511
  • valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    There is one new hair style in the new mod. I have a pic of it in one of the old SKT Patch threads.

Hopefully, one day, they'll add the same outfit and appearance change as they do in STO. That would remove dyes and save lots of room. They can still charge for the changes.....I'd be happy to pay it............often. B)
  • narjimanarjima Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    I'd love more fashion. But I would need more bags to hold it, I'm already filling about half of my inventory with fashion pieces. It would be awesome if we could get separate bags for fashion too, or a wardrobe or just something along those lines. I wouldn't even mind if it was only available in the zen store since *technically* it's not essential to the game. I wouldn't even care about the price. I would just buy it. And if they sell bags like they do for normal inventory space I would also buy them all. I would throw my money at them for that stuff :D
    narjima said:

I'd love more fashion. But I would need more bags to hold it, I'm already filling about half of my inventory with fashion pieces. It would be awesome if we could get separate bags for fashion too, or a wardrobe or just something along those lines. I wouldn't even mind if it was only available in the zen store since *technically* it's not essential to the game. I wouldn't even care about the price. I would just buy it. And if they sell bags like they do for normal inventory space I would also buy them all. I would throw my money at them for that stuff :D

We're here to give them good ideas, calm down satan.
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    Why can't we have wizard robes like those...? Instead we get football padding and heavy winter baggy freakin cloaks.
  • arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    brun2000 said:

arcanjo86 said:

The shields are probably the lesser problem here, I really like some of the art they put on them, but for regular swords/daggers/orbs, there isn't much of a choise, in fact, I'm still using the daggers from a plaguefire event in the first or second mod, I haven't found anything as good since, the daggers they make now are oversized and quite bland.
    yes they look like they were meant to be worn by giants :smiley:
    ghoulz66 said:

Why can't we have wizard robes like those...? Instead we get football padding and heavy winter baggy freakin cloaks.

I'm pretty sure they didn't make their game engine friendly to those kinds of robes, there is a cult of the dragon costume that is long like that and they don't even wave on movement, just static, its really weird.
    brun2000 said:

I'm pretty sure they didn't make their game engine friendly to those kinds of robes, there is a cult of the dragon costume that is long like that and they don't even wave on movement, just static, its really weird.

My warlock wears that outfit... I just say the cleaners used far too much starch! ;)

@samaka#2511
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    I agree Neverwinter fashion is bottom rung. I have worked very hard to make my characters look appealing to the eye and unique as possible. This task is not as hard in other games I have played. Both Aion and the orginal Guild Wars made by ArenaNet has wonderful designs. However all games have limits.

My main character is a tiefling with tail and horns. Too many fashions clash with the species. Here is a short list of changes that need to be made. Good luck getting someone to listen.
    • All females look stupid riding a horse wearing a dress. The dress ends up clipping the horse and it just looks dumb. When a woman rides wearing a dress, they should ride side saddle.
    • Tails poke out through the dress. The tail should be removed as it appears when riding the sleds OR the tip of the tail should appear near the bottom hem of the dress.
    • Females don't get a lot of pants options and you see people running pantless in the game. I mostly end up wearing golden pantaloons dyed another color or the medic bottoms dyed. There should be some bare leg riding shorts and boots, stockings and shoes, etc..
    • Horns clip hats and hoods. Either a special hat needs to be made or the horns hidden.
    This page on the wiki shows my main wearing medic bottoms dyed with searing magma and 2 black dyes. The top is the dragon cult corset. The searing magma makes the belts golden but must be applied first.
    wb-cenders.gif
    Sadly, everything seems to clip in this game! :(

I wish there were some pants options that didn't include the extra bits of drapery... on the front, back, and sides on some items. What is with the fascination with adding these extra pieces to all pants in the game? :(

Unfortunately, nearly every game I've played where a race has a tail they are never done correctly... the tail just clips through everything with no regard to the clothing/armor at all. I think the tail animation when riding a mount is ridiculous as well! :disappointed:

As I have mentioned in a couple other places, I wish female characters had the option to wear the male versions of fashion items, and vice-versa. It would double the number of options overnight! :)
    @samaka#2511
    The Caitian and Ferasian races in STO (feline) have the option to hide their tail visual based on costume. Again, and example of how pathetic Neverwinter's options are when the systems is the very game Neverwinter's system is based on is better out of the box.
    DDO and LotRO have that same issue, same basic engine but vastly different features between the games.

For example LotRO got Lua scripting capabilities for their UI while DDO has never received that ability!
    @samaka#2511
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    brun2000 said:

ghoulz66 said:

They're still capable of making thin cloth robes that are just overlays on the skin. All the dumb padding is unnecessary. What cloth robes we have are just weird, and they always use the same ugly fat loin cloth thing. The tops are shredded up like the maker was blind, and they slap Olympic medals all over em.
  • xfznn1xfznn1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    I think it's time to fashions give some stats, would be great.
    Post edited by xfznn1 on
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    xfznn1 said:

I think it's time to the fashions give some stats, would be great.

No, no, no, no. Are you out of your mind? Let fashion be fashion, and not some new way to further increase power creep. I for one don't want to be told to change my fashion outfit because the stats it has no longer min/maxes my character to its fullest potential.